Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

AyrJambo
28 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Amazing how many nationalists have turned against the SNP and Sturgeon / Yousaf. After backing them to the hilt with their money and time. Am sure they won't make that mistake again. 

Not that amazing when you consider...

Ian Blackford suggesting that SNP should take peerages in the House of Lords
Pete Wishart wanting to become Speaker of the House of Commons
The SNP still wedded to the S30 Referendum route - a non-binding, advisory only referendum (as in 2014) which not only allows the UK to set the parameters (franchise, timing, minimum level Yes % etc) it also concedes to the fallacy that Westminster is sovereign when in fact, in Scotland , sovereignty lies with the people

Roxy Hearts
3 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

I have said many times I would prefer independence but I can't and won't vote for something without some form of detail. 

I do fully appreciate it's almost impossible to provide what I want. As such I am not prepared to risk the good lifestyle myself and family enjoy. 

Fair enough T&L. I have a good life too and a loving family. Life is full of risks! Have a good day bud👍

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Holyrood's finger-wagging control freaks are strangling Scotland with red tape and regulation, where every aspect of our lives is subject to intrusion by the state.

Another good article by Britain's biggest selling newspaper.

A plague on Scotland's new puritans | Daily Mail Online

"The SNP has never been a party terribly attached to liberty. It wants freedom for Scotland, just not freedom in Scotland."  good summary of thi excellent article. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

"The SNP has never been a party terribly attached to liberty. It wants freedom for Scotland, just not freedom in Scotland."  good summary of thi excellent article. 

"If you don’t believe me, take a glance across the SNP frontbench at Holyrood. As sullen and mirthless a parade as you are likely to encounter. You start out with Angus Robertson, make your way past Shona Robison and Humza Yousaf, and end up at Shirley-Anne Somerville. They’ve all got shared ­custody of the same facial expression: resting funeral director face."

THIS :) 

Lord Montpelier
44 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Not that amazing when you consider...

Ian Blackford suggesting that SNP should take peerages in the House of Lords
Pete Wishart wanting to become Speaker of the House of Commons
The SNP still wedded to the S30 Referendum route - a non-binding, advisory only referendum (as in 2014) which not only allows the UK to set the parameters (franchise, timing, minimum level Yes % etc) it also concedes to the fallacy that Westminster is sovereign when in fact, in Scotland , sovereignty lies with the people

And no credible alternatives for the snp right now

Appreciate must be tough for folk in your position

AyrJambo
35 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

And no credible alternatives for the snp right now

Appreciate must be tough for folk in your position

Tough yes but not hopeless

Support for independence is consistent at anywhere between 48% and 52% and has been for the last ten years even if support for the current SNP has dropped to nearer 30%

Suspect the SNP will still be the biggest party in any Holyrood elections but Sturgeon and the toxic Greens have done a lot of damage

The party needs to ditch the current leadership and perhaps the latest twists in the Murrel/Sturgeon malfeasance saga will nudge that along since Yusaf is tainted by association, aside from being obviously out of his depth as FM as he was at both Education and Justice previously

They also need to restore independence to front and centre of their policies and to restore branch level democracy and have their NEC properly elected by members instead of padding it with pre-approved gender drones loyal to the current leadership 

Stephen Flynn might be a leadership option although my preference would be Joanna Cherry

Alba also need to consider whether Sturgeon's stitch-up job on Salmond means they will not gain any traction with the electorate until he is given a less visible role

For me, all the pro-independence parties should also be looking closely at an abstentionist stance as per ISP

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Fair enough T&L. I have a good life too and a loving family. Life is full of risks! Have a good day bud👍

You too my man. It's lovely out there today. 

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Much the say reasons i wont. Plus  i feel we are not too similar to English and Welsh and Northern Irish. They are like cousins. 

How dare you not hate all things English. Judas. You will be shot come thr time of reconing. 😂 

AyrJambo
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Much the say reasons i wont. Plus  i feel we are not too similar to English and Welsh and Northern Irish. They are like cousins. 

Presumably you mean "...not too dissimilar..."

But by that logic Germans, Austrians and Dutch shouldn't be independent

Or Spanish and Portuguese, or French and Belgians or Swedes, Danes and Norwegians....

Just sayin

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Or Spanish and Portuguese, or French and Belgians or Swedes, Danes and Norwegians....

Just sayin

You could argue they are not as they many of them belong to a European Union.

AyrJambo
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You could argue they are not as they many of them belong to a European Union.

You could but you would be wrong

The EU is a very different union to the UK

For one thing no member of the EU requires permission from the EU to decide whether it wants to leave or not!

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, AyrJambo said:

Tough yes but not hopeless

Support for independence is consistent at anywhere between 48% and 52% and has been for the last ten years even if support for the current SNP has dropped to nearer 30%

Suspect the SNP will still be the biggest party in any Holyrood elections but Sturgeon and the toxic Greens have done a lot of damage

The party needs to ditch the current leadership and perhaps the latest twists in the Murrel/Sturgeon malfeasance saga will nudge that along since Yusaf is tainted by association, aside from being obviously out of his depth as FM as he was at both Education and Justice previously

They also need to restore independence to front and centre of their policies and to restore branch level democracy and have their NEC properly elected by members instead of padding it with pre-approved gender drones loyal to the current leadership 

Stephen Flynn might be a leadership option although my preference would be Joanna Cherry

Alba also need to consider whether Sturgeon's stitch-up job on Salmond means they will not gain any traction with the electorate until he is given a less visible role

For me, all the pro-independence parties should also be looking closely at an abstentionist stance as per ISP

Instead of having independence at front and centre of policies, they could try something revolutionary and govern Scotland for all it's people's benefit and not the minority who want separation at any and all costs.

They might then persuade ditherers that they are worthy of backing.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

How dare you not hate all things English. Judas. You will be shot come thr time of reconing. 😂 

I’ll certainly be first on the bus to Blair Drummond safari park , that’s for sure 😂

AyrJambo
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Instead of having independence at front and centre of policies, they could try something revolutionary and govern Scotland for all it's people's benefit and not the minority who want separation at any and all costs.

They might then persuade ditherers that they are worthy of backing.

I get where you are coming from but you are  conflating the SNP as a party with the idea of Scottish independence

The two are not the same and the SNP may well cease to exist under independence

If they are not prioritising independence as the over-arching solution to all the challenges our society faces then what sets them apart from any of the other parties wanting to run a devolved administration?

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Just sayin

No we have a shared history with the other Home Counties plus much of our culture 

JudyJudyJudy

Tragic stuff . A tax exile anaw and piss poor actor . 

IMG_8177.jpeg

AyrJambo
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No we have a shared history with the other Home Counties plus much of our culture 

Presumably you mean ..."Home Countries"...

So are you saying that none of those other independent nations share any history?

Jim_Duncan
21 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_8177.jpeg

Didn’t know there was a cuntathon happening today. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Didn’t know there was a cuntathon happening today. 

You've been reading this thread. 

It's not just today either. 

Thunder and Lightning
29 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_8177.jpeg

Martin Compston, white.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, AyrJambo said:

For one thing no member of the EU requires permission from the EU to decide whether it wants to leave or not!

Thats not strictly true is it?

AyrJambo
11 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Martin Compston, white.

Interesting that you reference Yousaf's rant without the word "is"

Wings over Scotland agrees with you

Letter to Scottish parliament questioning the veracity of their Official Report of what was said

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-mutability-of-history/ 

Reply from Scottish parliament

https://wingsoverscotland.com/in-the-name-of-clarity/

AyrJambo
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes it is

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldconst/44/4404.htm

Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union sets out how member states may withdraw from the European Union. It states that “Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.”3

John Findlay
1 minute ago, AyrJambo said:

Yes it is

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldconst/44/4404.htm

Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union sets out how member states may withdraw from the European Union. It states that “Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.”3

So no referendum and divorce negotiations required?

AyrJambo
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So no referendum and divorce negotiations required?

Obviously negotiations are required but what I said was that no permission is required to leave or to hold a referendum on leaving and that stands

Edited by AyrJambo

Jim_Duncan
50 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You've been reading this thread. 

It's not just today either. 

True. All your posts do fall under that category 😃

TallPaul
31 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Obviously negotiations are required but what I said was that no permission is required to leave or to hold a referendum on leaving and that stands

Why did Nicola keep asking for it then?

The Mighty Thor
19 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

:fonzie:

AyrJambo
10 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Perhaps try to understand the context of a post before blindly replying as is your habit

10 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

He was talking about Europe, but don't worry about the pesky subject matter before jumping in two-footed with your usual witless comments. 

AyrJambo
20 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Although you have inadvertently stumbled on to a pertinent question...

Nicola Sturgeon kept asking Westminster for a referendum on Scottish independence because she had no comprehension of the realities of either the Scottish constitution or the nature of the British state

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

tumblr_lrj7cjj7Oe1qlvie8o1_500.gif

Ulysses
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

What's not strictly true?

frankblack
5 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

I have said many times I would prefer independence but I can't and won't vote for something without some form of detail. 

I do fully appreciate it's almost impossible to provide what I want. As such I am not prepared to risk the good lifestyle myself and family enjoy. 

There are proven methods of mathematical modelling for possible scenarios.

The SNP refuse to give any detail because its damning to them.

AyrJambo
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

What's not strictly true?

This which I asserted earlier...

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Martin Compston, white.

Marin Compston, ***t.

Cranston
12 hours ago, Boris said:

Regards your last paragraph, I think that's what the electorate are doing by shifting from SNP to labour.

👍

Shifting 'back' to Labour. Its sad Boris, but the Snp are a pale imitation of what they once were, back in the halcyon days of Holyrood being enacted. Completely transformed from a party that promised so much, into one of complete disarray, and leaders who've not only shat on the party, criminally or otherwise, but have shat from a high height on the people of Scotland. Absolutely disgraceful. 

If only we had a Scottish free thinking political party, that was pro Independence. instead of the authoritarian lunatic bams who infiltrate Scottish politics.

Cranston
10 hours ago, Australis said:

It's the both of them setting targets, never near making them but they don't bad an eyelid or resign.

Snouts in the trough and it will take decades for any political party to fix the mess they are leaving.

They are destroying Scotland instead of making it better, and it seems deliberate.

👍

Good to read common sense posts, instead of the litany of repetitive posts on here, telling us how the Snp will disband after Independence, with an imaginary new way roadmap.

For an Adam Smith, free thinkers, and a party that sought to make life better for the people, instead of the snouts in the trough lunatic bams that pervade Scottish politics.

Konrad von Carstein
8 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Amazing how many nationalists have turned against the SNP and Sturgeon / Yousaf. After backing them to the hilt with their money and time. Am sure they won't make that mistake again. 

Do you have evidence to support this, worrying if true statement, about Nationalists turning against the SNP...the Heil and Express and just about any other media outlet in the (laughs) UK don't count...

Lord Montpelier
8 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Do you have evidence to support this, worrying if true statement, about Nationalists turning against the SNP...the Heil and Express and just about any other media outlet in the (laughs) UK don't count...

Guess it depends if we're using Peter Murrells party membership numbers or not.

Recent by election results

You can see for yourself on here former supporters have left. 

Estimates of 1600 max listening to Humza at his little rally today. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement is it. 

Even the Greens don't like the SNP anymore , albeit suspect the feeling might be mutual for some. 

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Estimates of 1600 max listening to Humza at his little rally today. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement is it. 

Even the Greens don't like the SNP anymore , albeit suspect the feeling might be mutual for some. 

Greens: white. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Greens: white. 

So true 

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Marin Compston, ***t.

You forgot the word Mhanky 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

So, no.

:)

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm with mates tonight that support Independence. Taking the piss out of the hypocrisy that exists in the UK. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

I'm with mates tonight that support Independence. Taking the piss out of the hypocrisy that exists in the UK. 

You have so many mates ! Such a great social life too ! Is your Portuguese mate there ? What wine are you drinking tonight ?

Cranston
8 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

putin-crowd.jpg

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I met my Nicaraguan mate(who's a pure Unionist likesy) for a few beers tonight, went for a curry and met loads of other Unionists from Spain, Portugal and Antarctica. Had a good laugh about how shite the SNP are

Edited by Nucky Thompson