Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Ulysses
8 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It's a sign of the times when you have to vote for who you think will have the least detrimental effect on your life rather than who could improve it.

What a sad place Scotland and the rest of the UK have become.

It's probably wider than the UK.  In the next general election here, I won't be working out who I most want to vote for so much as who I least want to vote against. 

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

It's probably wider than the UK.  In the next general election here, I won't be working out who I most want to vote for so much as who I least want to vote against. 

Yeah I know, look at America. Biden or Trump. A nation of about 350 million and those two are your choices. FFS.

Ulysses
Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah I know, look at America. Biden or Trump. A nation of about 350 million and those two are your choices. FFS.

Yep.

The likes of Xi, Putin and the mullahs must be loving it.

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The independent movement had genuine direction before 2014. What it’s become now (SNP especially) is essentially what happens if your ideology boils down to hating another country 

In retrospect 2014 is now Indy peak . The campaign etc galvanised people . She and her ilk have ruined it. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

In retrospect 2014 is now Indy peak . The campaign etc galvanised people . She and her ilk have ruined it. 

There seems to be a train of thought that post 2014, the SNP hasn’t really been interested in independence. Can imagine there’s something in that. It’s much more comfortable maintaining the status quo and using gripes about Westminster to keep you in power.

But arrogance caught up with them after 2014. Rather than conceding that they lost by a margin that required some work, they ran with the narrative of ‘actually, Scotland does want independence despite not voting for it.’ They should have properly reassessed their approach to making the argument.

Sturgeon’s ‘material change’ bollocks around Brexit is one of the most feeble political moves I’ve ever seen. 

Ulysses
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But arrogance caught up with them after 2014. Rather than conceding that they lost by a margin that required some work, they ran with the narrative of ‘actually, Scotland does want independence despite not voting for it.’ They should have properly reassessed their approach to making the argument.

That's partly right, IMO.  I think simply being too long in office caught up with them as well.  

Also, they should have done more than what you said in your last sentence. They should have gone out and actively canvassed the views of No voters to find out what they felt and why they weren't convinced.  IMO that wouldn't have helped them make much of a better argument for independence - but it would have helped them talk to Cameron afterwards to maybe make a better set of devolution arrangements.

manaliveits105

lapped up by her feeble minded fans on here (who never really liked her anyway but)

Ulysses
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

lapped up by her feeble minded fans on here (who never really liked her anyway but)

Given the realistic options available, what's your choice to replace the SNP in office?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

That's partly right, IMO.  I think simply being too long in office caught up with them as well.  

Also, they should have done more than what you said in your last sentence. They should have gone out and actively canvassed the views of No voters to find out what they felt and why they weren't convinced.  IMO that wouldn't have helped them make much of a better argument for independence - but it would have helped them talk to Cameron afterwards to maybe make a better set of devolution arrangements.

Yeah, agree.

The SNP are a busted flush. Mind you, no one will convince me that there’s a good alternative up there either. Especially not that freak show of a Green Party.

The Labour crew are massively talentless.

Lord Montpelier
14 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Given the realistic options available, what's your choice to replace the SNP in office?

You seem keen to ask others their voting preferences.

What's yours ? Happy to continue with scandal and failure I'd presume ?

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, agree.

The SNP are a busted flush. Mind you, no one will convince me that there’s a good alternative up there either. Especially not that freak show of a Green Party.

The Labour crew are massively talentless.

Its a really difficult position the SNP are in, Sturgeon has dragged them so far off course that they're a shadow of the party they were under Salmond. Humza isn't leadership material, and has just been a maintenance option I assume, as Sturgeon waits out the legal mess she/ her husband are in. Best thing that could happen is that Forbes pushes for leadership & gets it. She's probably a little bit too young, but compared to Humza she's actually competent and I think would win back credibility in not being utterly beholding to creepy Patrick and the greens at large. 

On Labour, absolutely agree - I think amongst the Unionist parties its been diluted to who can be a bigger yoon and whilst in Wales, Labour can blame everything on the Tories, in Scotland Labour can't really do that without undermining the Union (as we'll forever be stuck in a loop of waiting for the next time England revert back to Tory). They haven't developed a clever strategy beyond mentioning "Change" as this big and powerful word whilst defining absolutely nothing about what change actually looks like. As things stand, Starmer is a Tory in Labours clothing, so there really isn't a convincing pitch there. 

Its probably why I'm so keen to see Alba succeed under Salmond. Getting him back into Holyrood would probably raise the IQ and political competence levels in there by double digits. I also think it would be absolutely comical to see Sturgeon having to face the man she tried to ruin on a virtual daily basis :D 

I'm starting to wonder if the SNP maybe need a period out of government in Scotland where they can revist their general direction and reset things back to being a big tent party focused on delivering their core purpose (rather than all this culture wars/ greens bollocks). 

Jim_Duncan
27 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There seems to be a train of thought that post 2014, the SNP hasn’t really been interested in independence. Can imagine there’s something in that. It’s much more comfortable maintaining the status quo and using gripes about Westminster to keep you in power.

Sturgeon’s ‘material change’ bollocks around Brexit is one of the most feeble political moves I’ve ever seen. 

At least Salmond was a talented politician and speaker. They got into a position of power thanks to him, and then thought they could continue that by putting Sturgeon in and hoping everyone would like her just as much. Deep down, she comes across as a nasty piece of work, much like her successor. These two should have focused on competency in office, but have instead focused on themselves. 

manaliveits105
17 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Scottish Labour minority coalition to bring some stability over the next term 

Lord Montpelier
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its a really difficult position the SNP are in, Sturgeon has dragged them so far off course that they're a shadow of the party they were under Salmond. Humza isn't leadership material, and has just been a maintenance option I assume, as Sturgeon waits out the legal mess she/ her husband are in. Best thing that could happen is that Forbes pushes for leadership & gets it. She's probably a little bit too young, but compared to Humza she's actually competent and I think would win back credibility in not being utterly beholding to creepy Patrick and the greens at large. 

On Labour, absolutely agree - I think amongst the Unionist parties its been diluted to who can be a bigger yoon and whilst in Wales, Labour can blame everything on the Tories, in Scotland Labour can't really do that without undermining the Union (as we'll forever be stuck in a loop of waiting for the next time England revert back to Tory). They haven't developed a clever strategy beyond mentioning "Change" as this big and powerful word whilst defining absolutely nothing about what change actually looks like. As things stand, Starmer is a Tory in Labours clothing, so there really isn't a convincing pitch there. 

Its probably why I'm so keen to see Alba succeed under Salmond. Getting him back into Holyrood would probably raise the IQ and political competence levels in there by double digits. I also think it would be absolutely comical to see Sturgeon having to face the man she tried to ruin on a virtual daily basis :D 

I'm starting to wonder if the SNP maybe need a period out of government in Scotland where they can revist their general direction and reset things back to being a big tent party focused on delivering their core purpose (rather than all this culture wars/ greens bollocks). 

Forbes is too inexperienced. They need someone like Cherry to take control and drag them away from the cultural bin fires they've been intent on creating back towards solid domestic policies. 

1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Forbes is too inexperienced. They need someone like Cherry to take control and drag them away from the cultural bin fires they've been intent on creating back towards solid domestic policies. 

I completely agree - Cherry would be excellent choice, although the difficulty is that so much of the party, Sturgeon has had built around her, and her ideology. For Cherry to become party leader, she'd need to give up her Westminster seat to risk for a Holyrood seat. I don't think she's prepared to take that gamble yet. Interestingly, she'd tried to take the nomination for Edinburgh Central, but Angus Robertson ended up getting it - no doubt because he's an ally of Sturgeon. 

TBH I think the SNP have more unutilised talent at Westminster than Holyrood, despite being in Government at Holyrood. If it was up to me, I'd send the likes of Robertson, Sturgeon, Swinney etc. to Westminster, and pull back the likes of Cherry, Flynn, Whitford and others, to ensure that Scotland has a genuinely competent team in place for its government. 

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

After 2014 their campaign took a more angry , abrasive and negative turn with them stating they nearly achieved Indy when in fact it was 55/45 split ! But their distortion started grievance and division we now see today . They could easily have tried the less abrasive strategy . Win people over . 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, OTT said:

18 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

At least Salmond was a talented politician and speaker. They got into a position of power thanks to him, and then thought they could continue that by putting Sturgeon in and hoping everyone would like her just as much. Deep down, she comes across as a nasty piece of work, much like her successor. These two should have focused on competency in office, but have instead focused on themselves. 

Good postings 👍

i wish jj was my dad
34 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I definitely think being in power for too long is unhealthy and as has happened here this lot started looking for things to do rather than focusing on the basics of what we're needed during the cost of living crisis. 

After a lot of deliberation, I voted yes. I am still disappointed with the result but I wanted SG to focus on making devolution work. Brexit was a game changer and while I still don't think a referendum should be a priority while the country is on its arse I do think the reason the country is on its arse (spivs and right wing zealots at WM) gives credibility to those who want a referendum. 

FWIW, I think the SNP getting their arse kicked in the GE and Holyrood elections would be a good thing. They can go away and either regroup or let the various independence factions go their own way.in the meantime, I'd hope Holyrood and WM start working in some form of partnership in the national interest. Like grown up governments should. 

frankblack
51 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Best option is a coalition government e.g. SNP, Labour and Tories where the extreme policies of any party are kept in check by requiring cross-party support.

Edited by frankblack

13 hours ago, Cranston said:

I agree with you there Roxy, definitely, on the water point. Should never have been privatised in other parts of the UK. Labour are against privatisation though, and on the side of the Unions and reversing these anomalies. 

Scottish Labour with their penchant for crippling PPI deals for hospitals and unsafe schools or Labour with Thatcherite Sarmer at the helm?

Your faith is higher than mine. 

13 hours ago, Carter said:

It's all over. Sturgeon did the Nat lot up like a kipper. 

Loads of people with shit on their faces now. 

Carter, the unstoppable drivel machine

5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Your up early want some toast ? ::troll::

IMG_5531.jpeg

Made in Italy. 

Edited by Gizmo

Jamstomorrow
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Yep.

The likes of Xi, Putin and the mullahs must be loving it.

Yep.  These guys could show us a thing or two about free and fair elections.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Best option is a coalition government e.g. SNP, Labour and Tories where the extreme policies of any party are kept in check by requiring cross-party support.

Yep . The power that the greens have had despite polling minimal votes has been shocking really . At times it seems they have had the SNP by the  balls , big manly ones at that ! Mind you it’s also been convenient for some of the SNP to blame the greens influence in destroying their vote when at times they have been very much in collusion with many green policies . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

frankblack
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep . The power that the greens have had despite polling minimal votes has been shocking really . At times it seems they have had the SNP by the  balls , big manly ones at that ! Mind you it’s also been convenient for some of the SNP to blame the greens influence in destroying their vote when at times they have been very much in tandem with many green policies . 

Patrick Harvey's face was tripping on Reporting Scotland last night. :lol:

I do wonder if these creeps will walk and throw the SNP under a bus.

Malinga the Swinga
38 minutes ago, OTT said:

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your thought process, Salmond won't face off against Sturgeon as she is jacking it in after next election in Scotland.

Given the number of times she has bothered to appear in parliament since her resignation, you could be forgiven for believing she's already jacked it in. Too busy writing her memoirs, amazing she can remember to do that given she can't recall any of decisions she took during COVID, and skulking about in shadows whilst her families, and Scotland's, reputation gets dragged through gutter.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Patrick Harvey's face was tripping on Reporting Scotland last night. :lol:

I do wonder if these creeps will walk and throw the SNP under a bus.

They might if they had any genuine environmental principles , so they won’t ! 😂

Hagar the Horrible

Under Nicola, the SNP were only about remaining in full power, with divisive and grievance politics, induce fear about Toareez hiding under your bed at night.  They were there as the labour party were unelectable, SKS is a damp squib but that wet wipe is better than Humza.

It was better to be in the fight and just sabre rattle than actually have a battle and know you are going to lose.  You could look forensically at the Quebec Neverendums and see what that did to the electorate, who just got more and more annoyed, 

What annoys me is that they could have proved Indy would work by making Devo work, and then push for Devo-max, but no like Violet Elisabeth they screamed and screamed until they made themselves sick.

The Alva party need to pick up what's left of the impending destruction of the SNP, but that will be a slow process and will be a generation before they rise from just being a protest party.  The SNP still have being a protest Party in their hearts, and failed to realise they were the ESTABLISHMENT.

At least when they collapse we can get an extended period of stability, which should encourage investment and growth

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Under Nicola, the SNP were only about remaining in full power, with divisive and grievance politics, induce fear about Toareez hiding under your bed at night.  They were there as the labour party were unelectable, SKS is a damp squib but that wet wipe is better than Humza.

It was better to be in the fight and just sabre rattle than actually have a battle and know you are going to lose.  You could look forensically at the Quebec Neverendums and see what that did to the electorate, who just got more and more annoyed, 

What annoys me is that they could have proved Indy would work by making Devo work, and then push for Devo-max, but no like Violet Elisabeth they screamed and screamed until they made themselves sick.

The Alva party need to pick up what's left of the impending destruction of the SNP, but that will be a slow process and will be a generation before they rise from just being a protest party.  The SNP still have being a protest Party in their hearts, and failed to realise they were the ESTABLISHMENT.

At least when they collapse we can get an extended period of stability, which should encourage investment and growth

Genuine question: In what way could the SNP have made 'Devo' work given the fiscal constraints since 2010?

I think you may well, like most others, be in for the mother of all shocks if you think that Starmer's Labour are going to provide stability or indeed foster investment or growth.

They have already stated publicly that they will continue the current fiscsal policy oultined by Hunt recently and last i checked we're still out of Europe and finally about to implement the actual checks on goods inbound we've been putting off for 3 years.

The conditions for austerity are there. The conditions for growth are not. 

20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your thought process, Salmond won't face off against Sturgeon as she is jacking it in after next election in Scotland.

Given the number of times she has bothered to appear in parliament since her resignation, you could be forgiven for believing she's already jacked it in. Too busy writing her memoirs, amazing she can remember to do that given she can't recall any of decisions she took during COVID, and skulking about in shadows whilst her families, and Scotland's, reputation gets dragged through gutter.

Thats a fair point actually, I had always assumed Sturgeons plan A was to leave office on a high and go and take some prestigious job with the UN, write her memoirs and basically dine out on having ultimately failed to deliver Independence. 

Obviously, now her reputation is mud and brand Sturgeon is pretty seriously damaged. My thought was that she'd stick around because nowhere else will take her, and at least in Scotland she's still someone that carries a bit of weight. 

It will be interesting to see, because as you rightly point out, she's totally abandoned Holyrood. Although, I do wonder if the press mob might be part of the season - a distraction for everyone, so best she stays away for the time being? 

I really hope to see Salmond returned in 2026. Alba have a while yet, to keep building their case as a legitimate party, and things like Grangemouth offer ample opportunity to do exactly that. I think if Fergus Ewing could be convinced to come over too, that would further help build the wider opinion that voting Alba puts the adults back in the room. 

Hagar the Horrible
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Genuine question: In what way could the SNP have made 'Devo' work given the fiscal constraints since 2010?

I think you may well, like most others, be in for the mother of all shocks if you think that Starmer's Labour are going to provide stability or indeed foster investment or growth.

They have already stated publicly that they will continue the current fiscsal policy oultined by Hunt recently and last i checked we're still out of Europe and finally about to implement the actual checks on goods inbound we've been putting off for 3 years.

The conditions for austerity are there. The conditions for growth are not. 

Well spent time and money wisely and be focused on the day job,  but its as though they wanted everything to fail, just so they could blame WM  and convince the electorate that all will be better under Indy, but nobody was fooled.

As for labour they will be a one hit wonder, and Penny Mordaunt will be in afterwards,  labour should be looking further after that

But this labour old tories

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Comments from Sturgeon:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68856924

Oh a cult member earlier was convinced she wasn’t allowed to comment ! Like I said she couldn’t wait to get her oar in . “ any attention is better than nae attention” I suppose for her. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

il Duce McTarkin

Some decent discussion and good posting on this thread the past couple of pages. Make's a refreshing change.

Thanks.

kingantti1874

Every single person voting for these charlatans is an absolute mug, how can you believe a single word that comes out of their simpleton faces

lock up Crooked Nicola 

kingantti1874
26 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Well spent time and money wisely and be focused on the day job,  but its as though they wanted everything to fail, just so they could blame WM  and convince the electorate that all will be better under Indy, but nobody was fooled.

As for labour they will be a one hit wonder, and Penny Mordaunt will be in afterwards,  labour should be looking further after that

But this labour old tories

I think quite a lot of people were fooled mate and continue to be fooled to this day. 

they are in the same bucket as the people fooled by Brexit. 

oh how I wish we could go back to 2010. There was a huge opportunity before the disease that is the SNP polluted British politics leading to the division of Scotland and frankly opening the door to an idiotic Brexit referendum.

Lord Montpelier
30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh a cult member earlier was convinced she wasn’t allowed to comment ! Like I said she couldn’t wait to get her oar in . “ any attention is better than nae attention” I suppose for her. 

Thoughts and prayers to the Murrells

Mikey1874
7 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I’ll light a candle at the weekend 

IMG_4907.gif

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It’s a parody ! 😂 hard to tell nowadays though 

Lord Montpelier
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ll light a candle at the weekend 

IMG_4907.gif

I'm away out on my doorstep at 8pm to bash some pots and pans to show my support. 

BlueRiver
36 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Some decent discussion and good posting on this thread the past couple of pages. Make's a refreshing change.

Thanks.

😂😂

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_4907.gif

image.png.3ee85dcb1b498d8ad5ab7e7258096ebc.png

Ulysses
2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

You seem keen to ask others their voting preferences.

What's yours ? Happy to continue with scandal and failure I'd presume ?

What on Earth have I posted to make you think I'd be happy with the status quo? I've said more than once that the SNP have run out of steam, regardless of one's views about Scottish independence.

I'm asking others because I already said and they didn't. Most people seem to delight in "getting it up" the people who differ from them, while having nothing of consequence to say about what they think needs to happen.  I've tried doing a bit of both. ;)

I'm not eligible to vote in Scotland. If I were, my choices would depend on the available candidates, but Labour would have the edge (particularly on the regional vote).

As a more general observation I think Scottish politics - and the Scottish independence concept - would benefit from having an active pro-independence conservative or centre-right party.  It might not suit my political preferences, but I've never been fully convinced by the "we're more lefty than England" shtick, and I think a fair percentage of Scots don't buy it either.

Ulysses
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scottish Labour minority coalition to bring some stability over the next term 

I'd vote for that, not gonna lie.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

She/them :rofl:

**** off hen 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

She/them :rofl:

**** off hen 

It’s a spoof 

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

the "we're more lefty than England" shtick, and I think a fair percentage of Scots don't buy it either.

Yep , that’s a myth 

Ulysses
2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Forbes was very popular among party members, and I suspect she still is.  She got far fewer big name endorsements than Humza Yousaf, but still polled 40% of first preferences and pulled in most of Regan's second preferences.  I don't know if she'd have the experience or more importantly the standing with her parliamentary colleagues to get away from the cultural stuff and reorient the SNP back to solid domestic policies, but I'd bet good money that she'd be more than willing to try. 

manaliveits105

As James said it is a parody and read through it there's some beezers 🤣

JudyJudyJudy
43 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

image.png.3ee85dcb1b498d8ad5ab7e7258096ebc.png

Dirty bugger 😎