Remember that guy Le Guen ???

VeraNT

The guy is having a mare. Before Rangers he was pretty much the new golden boy of European management too. Just quite odd. He was poor at Rangers, but it is also the worst example of admitting that one man is bigger than than the club (i.e. Sir Barry).

Le Guen says Barry is on his way out...about two days later Le Guen is gone. If thats not a unhealthy setup, I don't know what is.

Jamboinparis

First post. I live in Paris so know a bit about Paul Le Guen post-Rangers (although not enough as I should as my French is terrible).

In an article here he said that at Rangers he had to manage drunkards turning up for training in the morning very often with hangovers (Barry Ferguson, Kris Boyd, etc) and that he couldnt manage players without a proper athletes attitude.

I think now he's proven he simply cant manage.

Charlie-Brown

I think he's proven that he can manage - however both at Rangers & PSG he took control of (relatively) poor or in PSG case a struggling team - he won the French Cup with PSG but has struggled to turn around their struggling league form.

First post. I live in Paris so know a bit about Paul Le Guen post-Rangers (although not enough as I should as my French is terrible).

In an article here he said that at Rangers he had to manage drunkards turning up for training in the morning very often with hangovers (Barry Ferguson, Kris Boyd, etc) and that he couldnt manage players without a proper athletes attitude.

That seems to be the case for me. A French Alex Mcleish by the looks of things. Did well at Lyon but its not as if they were crap before he took over or skint. apparently he had someont to make all the signings for him as well.

That seems to be the case for me. A French Alex Mcleish by the looks of things. Did well at Lyon but its not as if they were crap before he took over or skint. apparently he had someont to make all the signings for him as well.

I?d take him at Hearts TBH.

I?d take him at Hearts TBH.

I honestly dont know if i would after his spell at Rangers. He was just clueless.

Charlie-Brown

Clueless at Rangers? Or undermined by senior & very popular Scottish players & ultimately his Chairman bottled it by failing to give him the time & authority to make necessary changes - also money has magically appeared for W.Smith to overhaul the squad that simply wasn't there for PLG...

Clueless at Rangers? Or undermined by senior & very popular Scottish players & ultimately his Chairman bottled it by failing to give him the time & authority to make necessary changes - also money has magically appeared for W.Smith to overhaul the squad that simply wasn't there for PLG...

What about the signings he made though? The absolutely clueless tactics? You cant blame everything on the players undermining him.

Charlie-Brown
What about the signings he made though? The absolutely clueless tactics? You cant blame everything on the players undermining him.

PLG got the least amount to spend per season than any other Rangers manager in modern times - were some of his signings any worse than some of the donkeys that Smith, Advocaat or McLeish signed for Rangers in the last 15 years? They almost certainly cost a LOT less......regards clue-less tactics - that will be the same 4-5-1 that W.Smith uses now then?

PLG got the least amount to spend per season than any other Rangers manager in modern times - were some of his signings any worse than some of the donkeys that Smith, Advocaat or McLeish singed for Rangers in the last 15 years? They almost certainly cost a LOT less......regards clue-less tactics - that will be the same 4-5-1 that W.Smith uses now then?

Sebo, Sionko are the two that come to mind. Papac has actually been a decent signing.

I think it was Graeme Spiers in his book about PLGs time at Rangers who said that as PLG had someone to make signings for him at Lyon he didint have a clue what he was doing and paid over the odds for all of his signings while at Rangers.

Charlie-Brown

PLG certainly under-estimated the type of players required to succeed in the SPL and tried to introduce a more continental style of play too quickly - also his methods were unpopular with the more 'traditional' scottish players at the club......but he was a new manager at a new club in a new country with a different footballing culture - to sack him after 6 months was short-termism in the extreme just for the 'crime' of being 2nd in the SPL....if you are going to appoint a coach like PLG then surely you have to give him the necessary amount of time to change things around - but he was built up to be another Dick Advocaat and expected to walk the title instantly despite being given ?20M less to spend.......

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
to sack him after 6 months was short-termism in the extreme just for the 'crime' of being 2nd in the SPL.

Nah, only a lunatic would do something like that.

Must...bite...tongue...

PLG certainly under-estimated the type of players required to succeed in the SPL and tried to introduce a more continental style of play too quickly - also his methods were unpopular with the more 'traditional' scottish players at the club......but he was a new manager at a new club in a new country with a different footballing culture - to sack him after 6 months was short-termism in the extreme just for the 'crime' of being 2nd in the SPL....if you are going to appoint a coach like PLG then surely you have to give him the necessary amount of time to change things around - but he was built up to be another Dick Advocaat and expected to walk the title instantly despite being given ?20M less to spend.......

look how quickly Smith turned things around though with the same squad. And look how well they are doing now that he has had the chance to bring in his own players.

Just out of interest, how much has Smith spent compared to PLG?

Charlie-Brown

Juninho rarely featured at Celtic & was mostly crap when he did play - does that make him a crap player & the rest of his career worthless because he failed to get to grips with the SPL ?

Sebo, Sionko are the two that come to mind. Papac has actually been a decent signing.

I think it was Graeme Spiers in his book about PLGs time at Rangers who said that as PLG had someone to make signings for him at Lyon he didint have a clue what he was doing and paid over the odds for all of his signings while at Rangers.

Yeah I think that is the case.

Like a good number of teams on mainland Europe the coach is just simply the coach.

The same goes at Sevilla. And what they are trying to do at Tottenham. Where they have a director of football/scout who unearths and signs the players.

What we have kind of tried to do. Except the only problems. Other teams have had guys who know what they are doing. Whereas well I don't think I need to say who we have had doing it.

Guest JamboRobbo
I'd reckon Smith has spent approx ?10M more than PLG in 16 months.

Walter should get lessons from Vlad then. Vlad has proven he can spend not far off 10M more than levein, and acheive less........

Juninho rarely featured at Celtic & was mostly crap when he did play - does that make him a crap player & the rest of his career worthless because he failed to get to grips with the SPL ?

Of course not, and i do see where your coming from with PLG, i just totally disagree.

Obv i would need to know more about what he's done pre-Lyon, and with Lyon and PSG, but from the evidence i've saw i just don't rate him in the slightest.

You could argue using that theory that Malofeev should have been given more time, and the players undermined him etc, when the truth may just be he's useless....

In the case of Lyon I think it is more to do with the players they have than who the coach is.

Even Alan Perrin is scraping them towards a title.

I've heard a few stories about PLG's time at Ibrox. Apparently he wanting to completely change the way of life the players were used to. He wanted a strict diet, not drinking and treating your body as a temple. Certain players in Ibrox were totally against this as they enjoyed a drink and other substances a little too much at the time. It turned in to a split dressing room with the British players used to one way of life and the foreign players used to another. In the end it was the British players who got their way and PLG was sacked.

It was also said that the Daily Record had a massive influence on the decision too. They were apparently payed to sway the fans against Le Guen. Any one remember a guilletine with Le Guen's head on it. It was lowered after every bad result until he was eventually sacked.

By discussing his signings you guys are missing the point. We all know Vlad will have his people sign the players. What I meant above was that I would happily see him as coach. He?d get them a darned sight fitter than they were for the first half of this season for starters and he?d have them trying to play football. PLG didn?t have a chance at Ibrox - he was given comparatively little money and undermined by players who liked a drink. Plus he inherited a really pesh set of players from McLeish.

By discussing his signings you guys are missing the point. We all know Vlad will have his people sign the players. What I meant above was that I would happily see him as coach. He?d get them a darned sight fitter than they were for the first half of this season for starters and he?d have them trying to play football. PLG didn?t have a chance at Ibrox - he was given comparatively little money and undermined by players who liked a drink. Plus he inherited a really pesh set of players from McLeish.

Yeah would agree with that.

If he came in here he would very much get respect from the players - can't see them calling him Guenny or something stupid in interviews.

For example. Barry Ferguson probably thought it was a great appointment at first and then didn't agree with his managers methods. So instead of being professional he decided he was bigger than PLG and started to try and force him out.

Before he arrived at Rangers he did the Sahara walk as he is a huge personal fitness/endurance guy. At the banquet after the walk a golfing buddy of mine(who also did the walk) was wearing his kilt and Le Guen strolls up and asked " Ah Scottish ....... so your football team, is it Rangers or is it Celtic?"

as he was neither and a die hard Jambo ...... I leave the rant that then ensued entirely to the imagination.

I'd take him here.

A couple of things about Le Guen - first of all, as has been said, he didn't make the signings at Lyon, that was done by a Director of Football. At Rangers, making his own signings, he was useless. Can't say as much for his time at PSG, but he certainly doesn't seem to have turned things around for them either. I'm not saying that that'd be an issue at Hearts (that's a discussion that I'm sidestepping because it's entirely conjectural), but it is a kind of important point when discussing his merits as a manager.

In terms of the fitness stuff at Rangers and the players going in the huff with him, I'd be inclined to feel quite sympathetic towards him. Is it wrong that he wanted professional athletes to, er, behave like professional athletes? The attitudes in this country towards athletes' diets are still stuck in the dark ages - and people wonder why Scotland doesn't produce players...

Archived