Wasps/Spiders..

fordy

Snails everywhere this year because of the rain. I cycled home on the cyclepath at Ferry Road a few nights ago and could hear them crunching under the tyres all the way. A few pavements near my house are the same.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts are with the family, brings it all in to perspective really. RIP spidey

Ken. Imagine finding yourself trapped in the lair of a monstrous 'house spider' that is over 100x the size of you petrified to death at what this evil creature might do to you, and it kills you by chucking a DVD at you cos its too scared to pick you up and throw you outside!

:cornette:

Managed to leave the light on and window open in my bedroom last night before I went out. By the time I got home my room was like the Butterfly Farm :sob:

:rofl:

Ken. Imagine finding yourself trapped in the lair of a monstrous 'house spider' that is over 100x the size of you petrified to death at what this evil creature might do to you, and it kills you by chucking a DVD at you cos its too scared to pick you up and throw you outside!

It was a book actually. And if I lived in that hypothetical scenario, I would stay away from the lair of the monstrous spider, not go strolling about inside.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The daddy long legs that have been appearing in my house this year have been utterly horrendous :mellow:

Do you mean crane flies or harvestmen? People use that name for both. The crane flies are annoying as ****, that noise they make drives me to distraction.

Is it just me or are there a lot more moths than usual? Come home to find at least 5 flying about my living room.

Can't open my window because I know a load of the turds will fly in. I'm roasting just because some pricks want to fly directly into my lightbulb then go wild flying all over the place in shock.

Do you mean crane flies or harvestmen? People use that name for both. The crane flies are annoying as ****, that noise they make drives me to distraction.

I think crane flies because the ones that have been pestering me have made a wee buzzy noise which has added to my fear for them :(

Guest Bilel Mohsni

These buggers are murder when they bite you.

cleg.jpg

Legitimate fear, more aggressive than British wasps and often draw blood. Horse-flies are nails.

Went on holiday last week and stupidly turned off all my electricity before I left without clearing out the fridge and freezer.

Feared the worst when I went back to the flat. And, unsurprisingly enough, it did smell pretty bad in the kitchen but, despite both windows being open (top floor before anyone asks) there was little sign of any flies.

That was until I had a closer inspection of the windows. Both had about ten flies each dead in spider's web.

So I'd like to say a big thank you to the spiders guarding my home from those disease filled ######.

Still doesn't mean you're allowed in the house, though.

PS Just when I was typing that a moth dropped straight down and landed on the keyboard. I damn near shat myself.

I wonder what moths did before the lightbulb was invented?

Moths think that bulbs are the moon and fly towards them to find mates.

A lot of moths on the moon aye?

::troll:::'>

Guest Bilel Mohsni

A lot of moths on the moon aye?

::troll:::'>

I've been wired to it all my life. :)

It's more just a way of ensuring they avoid predators, head as high up as possible, some predators have taken advantage of this (glow worms and certain beetle larvae) and they carry little lights in their bodies to attract them, before munching on them.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I think crane flies because the ones that have been pestering me have made a wee buzzy noise which has added to my fear for them :(

These ###### have been terrifying the missus all week. Makes great viewing :laugh:

LeylandJambo

Had 2 spiders in the front room last night. Watching the Mrs sitting with her feet on the chair shittin hersel was quality viewing. I never kill spiders I have a pint glass that's only ever used to put them outside.

I've just decided to start killing any spiders I see in my house now, there's too many of them and they're becoming a pain. One of them started dangling about in front of the tv on Friday night, very distracting.

4 killed so far today.

Had a beast free weekend :verysmug:

Question: does heat repel these things? Cause my room was genuinely like bloody Africa last night and there was not one sign of these feckers :jjyay:

Arthur Morgan

I've just decided to start killing any spiders I see in my house now, there's too many of them and they're becoming a pain. One of them started dangling about in front of the tv on Friday night, very distracting.

4 killed so far today.

You bad, bad man angry.gif

I just spotted one of those high speed ones firing across the floor. Christ know where he is now.

But he will die at some point. Take my word for it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Had a beast free weekend :verysmug:

Question: does heat repel these things? Cause my room was genuinely like bloody Africa last night and there was not one sign of these feckers :jjyay:

Arachnids,.ie: spiders, scorpions, false scorpions, whip scorpions, mites and harvestmen etc are -like all invertebrates- cold blooded. They are unable to control their body heat internally like we are, and other mammals and birds do, that means they like to hang out in places where they can charge themselves up with heat, like yer hoos.

Killing these harmless wee beasties is just pathetic to be honest... :(

Arthur Morgan

I seen one big one tonight running across the floor. It's dead now... so you've killed 5 and I've killed 1 eh? I like the sound of that whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

michael_bolton

I live in Sri Lanka and have yet to see a single spider in my flat. Probably cos it's hot enough for them to stay outside.

Ants are a different thing though. They are everywhere, just a fact of life. As I type there are a couple crawling around on my laptop.

Only seen one cockroach in my flat, and it was soon dead after a good spray from the insect stuff. It wasn't too big, but some of the cockroaches I've seen in the street etc here are bigger than me.

LeylandJambo

Got up this morning at 2am as usual for a Monday first thing I see is a rather large spider above the bedroom door. Went downstairs to get the pint glass went back upstairs to put it out of the window & woke the Mrs up trying to catch the little fecker. To say she wasn't happy was an under statement. After trying to calm her down & explain that I could always leave it to her to catch it herself she came to her senses.

LeylandJambo

I live in Sri Lanka and have yet to see a single spider in my flat. Probably cos it's hot enough for them to stay outside.

Ants are a different thing though. They are everywhere, just a fact of life. As I type there are a couple crawling around on my laptop.

Only seen one cockroach in my flat, and it was soon dead after a good spray from the insect stuff. It wasn't too big, but some of the cockroaches I've seen in the street etc here are bigger than me.

It won't just be your common house spider there I would imagine.

Just bought myself one of these.

People may say its mean and cruel, I don't care. If it stops the Mrs nipping my head then its worth it!

michael_bolton

It won't just be your common house spider there I would imagine.

I've been here just over five weeks and don't recall seeing a single spider, to be honest. They must be around somewhere. Of course, now that I've said this I'm bound to find about twenty of them tonight. Rather spiders than cockroaches...

Malcolm Tucker

Don't mind spiders. No beef with them.

Wasps though... I hate them. They hate me. It's like one of those films where enemies try and kill each other all the time. Like 'Enemy at the Gates' but with more wasps.

I mind there was a wasps nest basically in my room like a year ago. Woke up and the was a wasp just kicking about on my moustache. Just about went into cardiac arest, and punched myself in the face to get it away.

I despise them.

Malcolm Tucker

Wasps burgled Malcolm Tucker's flat, IMO.

:o

Creepy wee junkie wasp shites.

Don't mind spiders. No beef with them.

Wasps though... I hate them. They hate me. It's like one of those films where enemies try and kill each other all the time. Like 'Enemy at the Gates' but with more wasps.

I mind there was a wasps nest basically in my room like a year ago. Woke up and the was a wasp just kicking about on my moustache. Just about went into cardiac arest, and punched myself in the face to get it away.

I despise them.

:laugh:

I've seen a 6 legged spider (ie. One that's lost 2 legs) about my living room twice now.

I feel too sorry for the poor guy to kill him

Word to the wise. When choosing a magazine to smash the feckers make sure it's not got a bright blue advert for Davidoff Cool water on the back. Nice big blur streak across the white bedroom wall after an altercation with a spider tonight :sob:

:facepalm:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Word to the wise. When choosing a magazine to smash the feckers make sure it's not got a bright blue advert for Davidoff Cool water on the back. Nice big blur streak across the white bedroom wall after an altercation with a spider tonight :sob:

:facepalm:

Cruel Swatters. :(

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Man goes to the doctors and says to him "Doctor, I think I am a moth !". The Doctor says that it's not a Doctor you need to see but a Psychiatrist. The man says "I know but yer light was on...." :whistling:

Ah'll get ma coat.

OUCH!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Man goes to the doctors and says to him "Doctor, I think I am a moth !". The Doctor says that it's not a Doctor you need to see but a Psychiatrist. The man says "I know but yer light was on...." :whistling:

Ah'll get ma coat.

OUCH!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Ah'll get ma coat.

OUCH!

Have I just been extremely fortunate or are there no wasps around this year? Has the wet summer led to a dwindling in their numbers? I've genuinely not seen a single wasp all summer, and only a few bees. :ermm:

Archived