What are the best (and worst) individual displays that you've seen from a Hearts player?

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I was just in the Alan Maybury thread and thinking of his diabolical, half-hearted display against Ferencv?ros in late 2004 (shortly before his move to Leicester City).

What are the worst, and the best individual displays that you've seen from a Hearts player?

Incredibly, some of the most polarised performances took place in the one game, in yet another of those 5-1 thrashings of Hibs.

Mark de Vries, scorer of four home-debut goals, and Jean Louis Valois, masterminding the downfall of our unfortunate rivals in a glorious team performance...

...a glorious team performance, except that is, for poor Kevin Twaddle.

Twaddle, a Hearts fan, also making his home debut, was brought on as a sub early in the second half, and had such a stinker, that he ended up looking more upset than Ian Murray at the final whistle. He played the bloke who is always last to get picked at The Pitz. Touch like an elephant.

Over to you...

Optimus Prime

A number of Leigh Jenkinsons performances spring to mind.

Kurkis and Barassa were clearly out of their depth as well.

Nade....against most teams. A performance against Hibs at Tynie stands out in my mind - absolutely honkin!

Clerry Jambo

Neil McCann against Rangers in the League Cup Final at Celtic Park was special.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twice in recent years we have gone 2-1 down to St Mirren at Tynecastle in recent years(one of the times we had 10 men) and both times we have been dragged over the line by Rudi Skacel 3-2 and 5-2

Zaliukas vs St Johnstone is the best defensive display i have ever seen from a Hearts player

Nade away to Zagreb was really bad

Harry Palmer

Stephane Adam- 1997. At Tynecastle against Kilmarnock, was one of the most exciting games I've seen. Seemed to ebb and flow and both sides decided to forget about defending. Adam scored a hat-trick that day in a 5-3 victory.

Worst? No idea.

18Jambo_dave74

Suso away at Falkirk a couple of years ago stands out. Bouzid, Barr and Palazuelos also in that game but for the wrong reasons.

Neil McCann in the League Cup final is the best for me.

No sure about worst, but Paul Smith v Partick in 1996(?) when they humped us 5-2 was about as bad as it can get.

Caspian Primrose

No sure about worst, but Paul Smith v Partick in 1996(?) when they humped us 5-2 was about as bad as it can get.

this

frankblack

Kurskis - against ICT at home.

The worst.

Agree. I've never been so angry at a player.

Also agree about Neil McCann's display in the LC Final. Why did we sign Petric after the way we saw him and Moore being dismantled that day?

twice in recent years we have gone 2-1 down to St Mirren at Tynecastle in recent years(one of the times we had 10 men) and both times we have been dragged over the line by Rudi Skacel 3-2 and 5-2

Zaliukas vs St Johnstone is the best defensive display i have ever seen from a Hearts player

Nade away to Zagreb was really bad

This. In over 40 years that's the worst I've ever seen , by a long ,long way.

Best ? WIthout a doubt McCann in the 1996 Coca Cola Cup final.

Craig Moore was admitted to hospital suffering from whiplash injures after the game , McCann went past him so often , so quickly. Incredible performance.

I think Moore might have even been subbed that day to stop him getting sent off.

A few cracking performances...

Fulton in 98' cup final

Hartley 06' semi-final

Kunjabi in the cup final... :whistling:

Love how I can pick performances from cup winning seasons B)

Worst, for me, was Darren Barr at Falkirk in the League Cup.

One of the worst centre half performances I've ever seen.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Finding it hard to pick between Weir and Ritchie in the 98 Cup final for best... I'll give it to Ritchie. B)

Worst... Nade, Croatia Zagreb. :angry:

Best - McCann in the league cup final, by a distance. Honourable mention to Derek Ferguson in the Scottish Cup semi against the huns, shortly after his daughter died. He was absolutely outstanding.

Worst - Kurskis. And most games that Nade and Petric played.

maroonshrew

Young lad Ouefio or Dunn had a shocker against Motherwell when we lost 5-1 or 6-1. Cant remember. In fact the whole back four.

The worst is easy, Mo Berthe at Dens Park.

Without question.

I felt sick for Twaddle. He's a mate and he absolutely crashed and burned at Hearts. He'd actually done ok at Dens the week before, one run and cross almost setting up a winning goal but as soon as that first pass in the Hibs game rolled under his foot he was gone. He was decent at St Johnstone and Motherwell, where he scored a winner at Parkhead but Hearts was just too much. He can still say he played two-thirds of the derbies in our second best derby season (the two wins) after 2011/12.

Best individual Hearts performance? Henry against Hibs when they absolutely hammered us 0-0 and Hamilton missed a penalty.

Bob Loblaw

Leigh Jenkinson in his debut against Dundee was probably the worst I can mind. Absolutely stinking.

Anyone remember a match against Celtic at Parkhead and Niemi was absolutely amazing? That's up there with Hartley and McCann for me. Petrics debut was an absolute disaster against them.

Snake Plissken

Best - there's some obvious ones which have been mentioned but I recall the 1-0 win over Rangers in 2005.

Edgaras Jankauskas gave an absolute master-class and looked every inch the Champion's League winner that afternoon, probably one of my favourite games supporting Hearts because we won that match comfortably and that's when we begin to think something special was going to happen that season.

Worst - easy one for me: Jamie McAllister in the league cup semi final in 2005

I still hate him for the way he sold that third goal to cap off an absolute shitemare of a performance. My least favourite Hearts payer of all time.

:shitwine:

You beat me to it - 2 standout displays for different reasons.

Colin Cameron in our 3-2 win a Parkhead in 2000 must be a contender as well - dragged the team back from 2-0 down with an incredibly powerful shift.

worst, Nade over in Zagreb,

best... dont know why im struggling to think of many but i will say Craig Gordon away to Bordeaux.

Jambomullins

Best - McCann in league cup final wins by a distance

Worst - David Weir v St Johnstone in cup semi at Easter road. He'd already agreed to sign for Everton and played like he couldn't give a toss.

Snake Plissken

Anyone remember a match against Celtic at Parkhead and Niemi was absolutely amazing? That's up there with Hartley and McCann for me. Petrics debut was an absolute disaster against them.

Which one mate? He had many a blinder through there even when we were on the end of some absolute hidings, against both halves of the Old Firm actually. I remember a game at Ibrox where he was absolutely heroic and even though we were utterly outplayed we only lost 1-0.

McKenna against Falkrik in the Scottish Cup I'm changing mines to. Still have nightmares about that game. Sure Maybury was rank that match too and Webster got his erse felt.

Which one mate? He had many a blinder through there even when we were on the end of some absolute hidings, against both halves of the Old Firm actually. I remember a game at Ibrox where he was absolutely heroic and even though we were utterly outplayed we only lost 1-0.

This is true he was quality through there.

Think they won the league this day. We lost 1 nil but he was absolutely magnificent.

Gorgie Boys

Best team performance - first half of the new year game against the green huns.

worst - the second half verymad.gif

wheatfield to sheffield

Worst for me - Witteveen away at St Johnstone start of the season before last. Just appalling touch and clumsiness including giving away the foul that lets them equalise in injury time. When the man was going away from goal.

Best - McCann in the League Cup final, but I was also very impressed by Black in the finest 5-1 since 1902.

Remember Rousset having an absolutely outstanding first half in a defeat at Ibrox.

Think it was the same game McSwegan hit the post, with the game 0-0, on the stroke of half-time and Flogel suffered concussion after heading an Albertz free-kick off the line.

What about Beslija in the 4-0 win over Dundee United, pretty much his only good game for the club.

Worst always has to be Crawford Boyd - those that were there when he played for us will know what I mean.

Best has to be De Vries against Hibs on that wonderful day.

Buffalo Bill

McKenna against Falkrik in the Scottish Cup I'm changing mines to. Still have nightmares about that game. Sure Maybury was rank that match too and Webster got his erse felt.

Yet I think this game was the turning point for McKenna and Webster.

I'm sure Webster became first choice after this and McKenna became emergency striker.

One of several cup horror shows against Falkirk.

Buffalo Bill

I remember in Zagreb when Nade just stood there and Mikey Stewart had to run beyond him to chase down the defender!

Buffalo Bill

What about Beslija in the 4-0 win over Dundee United, pretty much his only good game for the club.

The infamous '?850,000 cross'.

In fact, although Bedlija played quite well that day, that game did have one absolutely outstanding performer:

Bruno Aguiar.

Denny Crane

Given the demons he buried on the day, Rousset Scottish Cup final v Rangers 1998

Worst? Nade v Zagreb. Fat tosser never left the centre-circle for the entire time he was on the pitch

Yet I think this game was the turning point for McKenna and Webster.

I'm sure Webster became first choice after this and McKenna became emergency striker.

One of several cup horror shows against Falkirk.

Aye think your correct McKenna was done for pace big time of Samuel and hardly played at the back for us again. He's had a good career too.

I know, they have the Midas touch over us in the cups for some reason.

Gregory House M.D.

Suso Santana Vs Falkirk away (LC), Jean-louis Valois Vs Hibs at home & the worst probably Kurskis Vs Rangers at Ibrox or Kurskis Vs ICT at home.

Bad - De Vries in a 1-1 New Years Draw at Easter Road when he was all set to sign for Leicester. His head, and heart, clearly weren't in the game and it showed. We even took him off, and how often did we do that?

Kevin James in the 1-1 draw at Easter Road - the first derby between the clubs after Hibs returned to the top flight. The header he wins in the build up to the goal was about the only one he won all day.

Twaddle in a dire 0-0 draw with Motherwell at Tynecastle, which might have been midweek, but I'm not sure, it was freezing though. Display was so bad it prompted a fan to shout that he was "the worst player he'd ever seen". Nobody argued.

Kurskis - against ICT at home.

The worst.

This...

Hartley Cup semi V Hibs as the best?

Finding it difficult to mention something that hasn't been said already.

A couple of good ones were:-

Bednar v Celtic at Tynie - we won 2-1. He scored the two goals and had a third wrongly dissallowed for offside. Neil Lennons ball to him was exquisite.

Gordon v Livingston at Almondvale - i don't think i've seen so many superb saves in the one game. I think we won the game but if it hadn't been for Craig that day we'd have shipped 4 or 5.

Buffalo Bill

Allan Johnson at Ibrox would be up there with the very best. We should've won 6-0 that day. There was another game just around that time, a 4-0 midweek game v Motherwell in absolutely freezing conditions. Magic was immense again, and scored a stunning volley.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

In Kevin McKenna's defence, Colin Samual was a pretty highly rated and promising 100m sprinter back in Trinidad and Tobago. Seriously, that guy was like shit of a shovel back then! Jose Goncalves would not have caught him on that day. :o

In Kevin McKenna's defence, Colin Samual was a pretty highly rated and promising 100m sprinter back in Trinidad and Tobago. Seriously, that guy was like shit of a shovel back then! :o

Colin Samuel pumped my mates sister :jjyay::lol:

Dumfries Jambo

Few been said already

Worst is either Barr at Falkirk, was actually unbelievable how bad he was (which makes it all the more impressive how he seems to have turned it around) and Witteveen's debut was also horrific.

Best is either Hartley at Hampden or Mickey Cameron at home to Stuggart. You could even argue Suso in aformentioned Falkirk game

Archived