Downloading Speeds - Need Advice

Jamie_the_Jambo

Jamie_the_Jambo

Im new to downloading and I am using uTorrent and piratebay.

My download speeds are pitifully slow. I read that people were getting mega fast downloads so Im doing something wrong? How can I improve my download speeds?

Also can you explain what seeds and peers are ?

Thanks

Jamie

dodethejambo

The speed of your download would depend on how many people your are seeding from & what speed your internet is.

There is a way to improve your download speed im not sure what it is, but someone will point you in the right direction

Seeds = people who have the full download you are after (the more the merrier)

Peers (leechers) = people who have part of download you are after

Jamie_the_Jambo
The speed of your download would depend on how many people your are seeding from & what speed your internet is.

There is a way to improve your download speed im not sure what it is, but someone will point you in the right direction

Seeds = people who have the full download you are after (the more the merrier)

Peers (leechers) = people who have part of download you are after

I have broadband over a wireless router. The files Im downloading have plenty seeds etc but the download is a dog. Best Ive had is 50kb/sec. Maybe uTorrent is set up wrong and needs tweaked ?

Help appreciated.

Jamie

Bordeaux 03

There are simple things you can do like downloading one file at a time, if you have say 3 files downloading then the bandwidth will be split between those 3 thus taking longer. Try to limit the amount of internet windows you have open but most importantly play around with your security/firewall settings as this is most likely to be causing the problem.

Jamie_the_Jambo
The wireless won't be a problem. What speed is your internet?

If I hover over my connection icon it says 56Mbps.

Jamie_the_Jambo
There are simple things you can do like downloading one file at a time, if you have say 3 files downloading then the bandwidth will be split between those 3 thus taking longer. Try to limit the amount of internet windows you have open but most importantly play around with your security/firewall settings as this is most likely to be causing the problem.

Can you elaborate? Not sure where to tinker with the firewall ?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
My Download was 499 and upload was 236 kbs.

Restart your router and see if that helps.

Look at the bottom middle of uTorrent. To the right of "DHT: x nodes" will be either a tick or an exclamation point.

Which is it?

My Download was 499 and upload was 236 kbs.

50kb/sec is about right if your download speed is only 0.5meg. If you can improve your download speed, try using newsgroups rather than torrents - Its much better and doesn't get traffic shaped by your ISP.

I live a stones throw from the exchange and can download at my full 8meg connection speed for the majority of the day using newsgroups.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Look at the bottom middle of uTorrent. To the right of "DHT: x nodes" will be either a tick or an exclamation point.

Which is it?

Its a tick !!?

Running this program, then changing the number of half open connections in preferences to 50 made a hell of a difference for me:

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

Think it's only for Windows XP SP2 though. To be honest, it sounds like your internet connection could do with being upgraded a bit.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Running this program, then changing the number of half open connections in preferences to 50 made a hell of a difference for me:

Think it's only for Windows XP SP2 though. To be honest, it sounds like your internet connection could do with being upgraded a bit.

True, set to 100, no more than 150 tho.

Say What Again
That means your port forwarding is setup properly.

How much do you know about this Rab?

My download speeds are OK but I have the exclamation mark telling me port is not open. I can follow the link to http://www.portforward.com, but my router (Netgear WN121T) isn't on their list.

Any ideas?

How much do you know about this Rab?

My download speeds are OK but I have the exclamation mark telling me port is not open. I can follow the link to www.portforward.com, but my router (Netgear WN121T) isn't on their list.

Any ideas?

It needs to be set up in the web page that you set your router up with. Probably something like http://192.168.1.1, but it varies.

Once in there, you can setup the port forwarding to the PC you do all your downloading on.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Yes.

You need to forward the port. Makes a big difference.

I followed the info on portforward.com and set a static IP. Then set up the port I wanted in ther router etc. There is only a small difference. Getting about 15 to 20 kbs now. Which is an improvement for daytime downloads.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I followed the info on portforward.com and set a static IP. Then set up the port I wanted in ther router etc. There is only a small difference. Getting about 15 to 20 kbs now. Which is an improvement for daytime downloads.

d/l bit comet, tells you if ports are forwarded correctly.

I never set the static address as my ip assigns from a range, i simply set ports to activate on the usage of the correct ip.

Jamie_the_Jambo

Ok, got scared when changing tcpip.sys !! System instability !!

Did it anyway. Time to reboot and try again......

Say What Again
It needs to be set up in the web page that you set your router up with. Probably something like http://192.168.1.1, but it varies.

Once in there, you can setup the port forwarding to the PC you do all your downloading on.

Thanks Rab, I'll give that a try when I get home

Jamie_the_Jambo
Ok, got scared when changing tcpip.sys !! System instability !!

Did it anyway. Time to reboot and try again......

Its seems to have made an improvement. Nowhere near 50+ kbs but doing about half that.

Ok next try the ports are working correctly?

Back soon.

Oh and thanks big time for all this !!

Jamie

Jamie_the_Jambo
d/l bit comet, tells you if ports are forwarded correctly.

I never set the static address as my ip assigns from a range, i simply set ports to activate on the usage of the correct ip.

SUSS Do you have a link to this please ?

Jamie

Guest S.U.S.S.
D/L. How do I run the check on the forward port ?

Jamie

Bottom right will have a green light if all ok, if not go to settings and set the listen port to be the one you specified to forward.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Bottom right will have a green light if all ok, if not go to settings and set the listen port to be the one you specified to forward.

Aha ! Its says it blocked. Need to check firewall and NAT settings ?

Anyone know what I should do next ?

Jamie

Jamie_the_Jambo
Aha ! Its says it blocked. Need to check firewall and NAT settings ?

Anyone know what I should do next ?

Jamie

Ok changed the port to my port. Got the green light. Tried to download and once again its a dog. Max d/l 9kbs !!! Jeez this is bad.

Jamie

Guest S.U.S.S.
Ok changed the port to my port. Got the green light. Tried to download and once again its a dog. Max d/l 9kbs !!! Jeez this is bad.

Jamie

With torrents it takes time to ramp up to full speed unless ur luck to find a node sharing at a high speed quickly.

give it 5-10 mins, also all additional trackers. I have a list i add to almost all downloads that ive built up over time. Can lead to great speeds once its going.

If uv any probs pm me and ill send u a list of the trackers.

PS some torrents are just slow, some due to not many seeds some due to people only uploading at very slow speeds.

http://www.btjunkie.org is a site i like.

Jamie

Its likely that your ISP (who are you with???) is traffic shaping at the moment as peak time tends to be 5-10pm. However, if you pm me your email address, I'll send you an invite to torrentleech which is a private tracker site and you will get excellent download speeds when your ISP isn't throttling you.

That said, newsgroups is the way forward as it doesn't get traffic shaped at all.

p.s. I only have 2 invites for torrentleech at the moment so cant accomodate everyone before you all start asking!

cheers.

Jamie_the_Jambo
With torrents it takes time to ramp up to full speed unless ur luck to find a node sharing at a high speed quickly.

give it 5-10 mins, also all additional trackers. I have a list i add to almost all downloads that ive built up over time. Can lead to great speeds once its going.

If uv any probs pm me and ill send u a list of the trackers.

PS some torrents are just slow, some due to not many seeds some due to people only uploading at very slow speeds.

http://www.btjunkie.org is a site i like.

Ok I'll let it run for 15 mins and see what happens..

Thanks

Jamie

Quite a lot of ISP's will slow your torrent speed down at peak times without telling you. Look out for that as well.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Quite a lot of ISP's will slow your torrent speed down at peak times without telling you. Look out for that as well.

Yup, if this is happening change the option to first Auto Detect, then always.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Ok I'll let it run for 15 mins and see what happens..

Thanks

Jamie

Its worse with bit comet Im afraid. Mega slow.

Im doing something wrong. I must be.

I checked using utorrent and it says my port isnt open?

How do I open it up?

Jamie

Guest S.U.S.S.
Its worse with bit comet Im afraid. Mega slow.

Im doing something wrong. I must be.

I checked using utorrent and it says my port isnt open?

How do I open it up?

Jamie

PM me the torrent address and ill try, see if i get any probs, could just be a slow torrent.

Jamie_the_Jambo
PM me the torrent address and ill try, see if i get any probs, could just be a slow torrent.

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks

Jamie

Say What Again

Thanks everyone who offered advice to Jamie on this thread.

I was getting decent download speeds but couldn't get port forwarding set up. Using the help and websites posted on this thread, I've got it working now.

Cheers.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Thanks everyone who offered advice to Jamie on this thread.

I was getting decent download speeds but couldn't get port forwarding set up. Using the help and websites posted on this thread, I've got it working now.

Cheers.

ArGhhHHHH

My connection has got worse !!!

uTorrent says it has no incoming connections with the amber triangle.

It used to be green !!!!

Im pulling my hair out !!

Still Im glad JoH is got his going ..

Jamie

Guest S.U.S.S.
ArGhhHHHH

My connection has got worse !!!

uTorrent says it has no incoming connections with the amber triangle.

It used to be green !!!!

Im pulling my hair out !!

Still Im glad JoH is got his going ..

Jamie

Check the port forwarding, your router may have re aquired its ip address from your isp and if its like mine its in a certain range. just set up the port forwarding as before.

Any probs pm me ur no and ill call when i get back from the gym to see if i can help.

Please no joke re SUSS asking for guys numbers!!!

;)

Gerd Muller

I'm having a few problems too. Its mainly with older tv torrents and maybe only have 8 seeds.

If for example, I download a torrent thats new and has loads of seeders then I get it really quickly. One thing that my mate told me, if you have utorrent is too change it from a 0 (unlimited) to a 1 for upload by right-clicking the torrent and selecting properties.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I'm having a few problems too. Its mainly with older tv torrents and maybe only have 8 seeds.

If for example, I download a torrent thats new and has loads of seeders then I get it really quickly. One thing that my mate told me, if you have utorrent is too change it from a 0 (unlimited) to a 1 for upload by right-clicking the torrent and selecting properties.

The problem with limiting uploads is they are getting wise to it.

BUT, its best to limit the upload, play about with the settings on a good speed torrent. This will let you get a decent balance, never have ur upload at more than 70% of ur upload speed as this will cripple your download.

Gerd Muller

I have a 5.8MBPS connection with talk talk. I'm trying to work out the best settings for utorrent. On one of the speedtests it mentions that my download is 1434kbps and upload is 340kbps.

Whats the best settings then? 70% upload as S.U.S.S mentions should be 102 or should it be 238.

Archived