Downloading Speeds - Need Advice

Jamie_the_Jambo

Mark_Mywords

The most important settings to change within Utorrent are ... (IMO)

Protocol Encryption set to Enabled (or forced). Find it in Options/Preferences.

Port forwarding should also be setup for Torrents.

Also make your maximum upload Rate about 75% of the bandwidth. (If your ISP upload rate is 500Kbps, set the Utorrent upload rate to 46 (500*.75/8)

Better still... Use Newsgroups, nothing can beat them.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Check the port forwarding, your router may have re aquired its ip address from your isp and if its like mine its in a certain range. just set up the port forwarding as before.

Any probs pm me ur no and ill call when i get back from the gym to see if i can help.

Please no joke re SUSS asking for guys numbers!!!

;)

I got it going again. Re-installed utorrent, changed the port No and it seems back to where I started. Port forwarding is ok. Green light on.

Looks like Im just going to have to live with lousy d/l speeds.

Jamie

Jamie_the_Jambo
I got it going again. Re-installed utorrent, changed the port No and it seems back to where I started. Port forwarding is ok. Green light on.

Looks like Im just going to have to live with lousy d/l speeds.

Jamie

I was getting pretty good speeds earlier. Well, good for me 50+ kbs.

Why do I have to upload to get good download? Why do I have to upload at all ?

My upload is always better than my download. If I switch it off - what happens ? Can I switch it off for some of the time or do they notice ?

Questions, questions ??

Jamie

PS THANKS to SUSS for taking time out for me. Appreciated. But as I am a small boy you're not getting my phone number. It would only spell trouble !

Guest S.U.S.S.

My upload is always better than my download. If I switch it off - what happens ? Can I switch it off for some of the time or do they notice ?

Questions, questions ??

Jamie

PS THANKS to SUSS for taking time out for me. Appreciated. But as I am a small boy you're not getting my phone number. It would only spell trouble !

No worries but now uv said your young ul get pms from ........!;) Na!!!!!

The problem with not uploading at all is the programs are getting smarter and as noone likes waiting days for something to download they give priority to those who upload more. (Not sure if utorrent has a share ratio showing) I allow my torrent to u/l at 10-50kb when downloading then unlimited when not. That way my ratio is always high so when connecting to sites and trackers they say, "oh what a nice guy". So dont switch it off entirely, just keep it low and ul get by, when not d/l anything allow the speed to increase and that will help ur ratios.

Also a good thing to remember is the millions of homes on boradband in the states, sometimes leaving the torrent running overnight gets huge speed boosts as people in the states turn on their pcs.

Any other probs drop me a line.

As i said the other day, i dont like Utorrent but thats prob cause im used to BitComet.

Dr. Bapswent

Questions, questions ??

Jamie

OK, simple tutorial.

You cant fill the upload limit, cos like a pipe, if its full of stuff going out, not much can fit in the other way. You leave a litle room, and LOADS more comes your way.

Find your speed, set uploads limits in the torrent client to around 70-80% of this.

Downloads will be faster.

Set a port in the torrent client. something over 6000 is best.

Then on your pc, set a static IP address.

something like 192.168.0.99

Then go to the router, depending on type, you need to tell it to accept a the staticIP you just set your PC too.

Then, probably set the firewall to in the router, to also accept this.

After that, you should be forwarded ok, apart from any other tweaks you might need to make in the torrent client itself.

Generally, thats it.

Let me know if any of these individual bits are confusing as I havent explained then individually.

Jamie_the_Jambo

Ive got another problem now !!

After all these downloads I now have a problem with new windows appearing sporadically in mozilla. I tested in IE7 and it does it here aswell. I have scanned for viruses and spyware using ESET NO32 and it seems to find an infiltration. I delete this but next day it happens again. So Ive got something hidden somewhere that I need to get at. Any suggestions?

Jamie

Jamie_the_Jambo

Anyone know what this is ?

C:\Documents and Settings\?????????\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2XCDIHAD\rld[1] - Win32/Adware.Agent.NIT application - cleaned by deleting (after the next restart) - quarantined [1,2]

Under my Temp Int Files folder the is no Content.IE5 folder?

I have show hidden folders switched on.

Using BT ...

1, To London 1074 kb Download, Upload 243 kb

2, To Paris 1126 kb Download, Upload 334 kb

3, To Oslo 1150 kb Download, Upload 307 kb

4, To Barca` 1145 kb Download, Upload 314 kb.....

i just don't get it !!!!:confused:

Using minninova for downloads but always have problems with slow website browsing :mad:, downloading not too bad, could be better.

Any other sites i could use? What are News groups?

Gerd Muller
Using BT ...

1, To London 1074 kb Download, Upload 243 kb

2, To Paris 1126 kb Download, Upload 334 kb

3, To Oslo 1150 kb Download, Upload 307 kb

4, To Barca` 1145 kb Download, Upload 314 kb.....

i just don't get it !!!!:confused:

Using minninova for downloads but always have problems with slow website browsing :mad:, downloading not too bad, could be better.

Any other sites i could use? What are News groups?

bt junkie is good. I normally use that. At the moment, I'm just leaving the upload at 25 and download at 750. never ever get 750 but I'm now not bothering to look for decent download speeds, just leave it on until I download something. I'm happy with 60-100.

Dr. Bapswent
Anyone know what this is ?

C:\Documents and Settings\?????????\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2XCDIHAD\rld[1] - Win32/Adware.Agent.NIT application - cleaned by deleting (after the next restart) - quarantined [1,2]

Under my Temp Int Files folder the is no Content.IE5 folder?

I have show hidden folders switched on.

Sounds like spyware has got through at some point.

have you searched online for it?

best way to see who else has had issues and how they dealt with it.

Jamie_the_Jambo

Downloaded AVG 8 and ran that. 50 minutes later I found multiple trojan horses and spyware etc etc etc.

All gone now...............or is it ?

Lol

Jamie

Guest S.U.S.S.

Think of ur connection like a zip, the uploads and downloads are the teeth, they interconnect thus making it stronger, without both it falls apart.

Jamie_the_Jambo
Think of ur connection like a zip, the uploads and downloads are the teeth, they interconnect thus making it stronger, without both it falls apart.

My zip was down. I then did an upload.

Then my load was down so I pulled my zip back up again.

Feeling better already.

:oopsoops:

Archived