Aaaahahahahahahahahaha

Useless arseholes.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James McCarthy plays for Ireland.

:facepalm:

So he does :facepalm:

I was working off the Sky Sports iPhone app and they had 'MCA...' and I automatically assumed it was him, but it was clearly McArthur, now I think about it.

He can go in with the likes of Brown and Caldwell.

Guest Alex Guttenplan

shite jingles to start the crowd.

You mean like at the Scottish Cup Final where we had KC & The Sunshine Band blared at us every time we scored so we'd sing it along to it? :omg!:

There, I said it. sad.gif

A smashing song, Francis. What's your point? That because I'm a Hearts fan, I should be forced to care about the national team? Or that if I don't care about the national team, I'm not a Hearts fan?

Gies peace.

He's one of those weird folk that think you MUST have an enduring interest in the national side. He doesn't realise that some folk just love Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

The nonsense about part of our song is both ignorant and jingoistic. I can only assume he wasn't moved by Marius Zaliukas lifting the cup with his own national flag wrapped round his waist.

For what it's worth, I dinnae mind Scotland, but that is more of a bit of mild fun as opposed to the sheer love for our team.

The Comedian

Gary Caldwell, Charlie Mulgrew, Phil Bardsley, Scott Brown, Shaun Maloney, Kenny Miller, Steven Whittaker, Matt Phillips, Craig Bryson, Don Cowie and Craig MacKail-Smith.

Players from last night who are nowhere near good enough to get anybody to a major tournament.

The likes of Barry Bannan, James McCarthy and David Goodwillie obviously have time to improve, but Scotland's problems are simply that the players aren't good enough. That's hardly Leveins fault.

It's all about being greater than the sum of the part's and that's where the manager comes in. I think Levein is lacking in inspiration as he's dull as dishwater.

Pointless game other than the coefficient damage inflicted.

SFA have kept Levein on after the cowardice/failure to qualify for the Euros so he is clearly going to get the world cup qualifiers too (until we fail to qualify for that as well).

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Missed the game but sounds like it was a bit of a shocker. The USA are a good side now and have a lot of good players, it was always going to be a difficult game but 5-1 is pretty disappointing.

Our main problem seems to be that we can't get a consistent spine to the side and build a team round it, whether that's down to call-offs, injury or whatever but it doesn't help our development as a team. We do have some technically good players, especially in midfield but when two of our best players have long term injuries then that doesn't help either.

Don't agree with the shouts to sack Levein. It is clear what he's trying to do with the national team and he deserves at least another campaign. Who do we bring in to replace him? Nobody immediately springs to mind.

RogerNebraska

Our main problem seems to be that we can't get a consistent spine to the side and build a team round it, whether that's down to call-offs, injury or whatever but it doesn't help our development as a team. We do have some technically good players, especially in midfield but when two of our best players have long term injuries then that doesn't help either.

Don't agree with the shouts to sack Levein. It is clear what he's trying to do with the national team and he deserves at least another campaign. Who do we bring in to replace him? Nobody immediately springs to mind.

This thread speaks to why Scotland has been so shite for the past two and a half decades. Many of you don't care. That's shocking.

As for a replacement. I'd give it to anyone who offered up a five year plan as to what they'd look to develop in terms of goals for the national side. The likes of Norway, Denmark, Australia, Japan, and other teams at or about our level don't just muddle through each qualification process. They use some as building blocks and place more emphasis on finding the best players for the system, then once they've got them sorted, they make a run for a qualification spot and usually hit it.

Klinsmann has booked a whole bunch of friendlies for the US in a short space of time so he can practice being in a tournament setting and mindset. He has a plan. If CL has one, he's not made it obvious what it is to anyone. The cameras cut to the bench a lot last night, and Peter Houston looks confused every time, while CL didn't look like he cared. I'm sure he wasn't wild about the fixture, but he has to be concerned that we seem to be 11 random players in blue as opposed to a team.

The main problem with Scotland is that the players are actually shite on a world level. We dont have one player even remotely world class and a team like the USA, who despite what people think are far better than us, will continually hump us. We could have Fergie and Mourinho in charge and we'd still get gubbed.

Scotland are shite at football.

Pretty much the reason why I cant be arsed with international football, although I will enjoy watching the Euros.

The Comedian

This thread speaks to why Scotland has been so shite for the past two and a half decades. Many of you don't care. That's shocking.

As for a replacement. I'd give it to anyone who offered up a five year plan as to what they'd look to develop in terms of goals for the national side. The likes of Norway, Denmark, Australia, Japan, and other teams at or about our level don't just muddle through each qualification process. They use some as building blocks and place more emphasis on finding the best players for the system, then once they've got them sorted, they make a run for a qualification spot and usually hit it.

Klinsmann has booked a whole bunch of friendlies for the US in a short space of time so he can practice being in a tournament setting and mindset. He has a plan. If CL has one, he's not made it obvious what it is to anyone. The cameras cut to the bench a lot last night, and Peter Houston looks confused every time, while CL didn't look like he cared. I'm sure he wasn't wild about the fixture, but he has to be concerned that we seem to be 11 random players in blue as opposed to a team.

:orly?:

I'd wager the first thing he packed was his golf bat's. Then a napkin for any food dropping from his gub.

It smacks of a SFA jolly to me while picking up some money for the fixture.

It's all about being greater than the sum of the part's and that's where the manager comes in. I think Levein is lacking in inspiration as he's dull as dishwater.

This.

You mean like at the Scottish Cup Final where we had KC & The Sunshine Band blared at us every time we scored so we'd sing it along to it? :omg!:

There, I said it. sad.gif

Come on now. Don't let that sort of thing get in the way of a good anti-USA rant.

Aye, a good manager is required. But Levein isn't a bad one.

Look at your neighbours player for player for a second and tell me that, for people commenting how shit they are, they're not a very good side.

Gary Caldwell - John Terry.

Scott Brown - Steven Gerrard.

Kenny Miller - Wayne Rooney.

Charlie Mulgrew - Ashley Cole.

Media darlings of the Old Firm, who're light years behind their English counterparts. Every qualifying campaign I hear the same trotted out line. Let's write this one off and be ready for the next one. Scotland's players are just not good enough. That's the crux of the matter.

The Comedian

Aye, a good manager is required. But Levein isn't a bad one.

Look at your neighbours player for player for a second and tell me that, for people commenting how shit they are, they're not a very good side.

Gary Caldwell - John Terry.

Scott Brown - Steven Gerrard.

Kenny Miller - Wayne Rooney.

Charlie Mulgrew - Ashley Cole.

Media darlings of the Old Firm, who're light years behind their English counterparts. Every qualifying campaign I hear the same trotted out line. Let's write this one off and be ready for the next one. Scotland's players are just not good enough. That's the crux of the matter.

Why are you bringing up England or trying to make a ridiculous comparison?

Of course we aren't as good as some nations, in the same way England aren't as good as Spain. That's why the group need's to be better than it currently is because man for man we are very weak.

rossthejambo

Granted, I only watched 15 minutes of the game, my analysis is that Mulgrew is out his depth at international football. Whether that's because Lennon's been playing him at centre half or the fact he's just horrifically average, i'd wager its a mixture of the two. Also, the mid field is missing Fletcher badly, someone to make a tackle, pass the ball and basically organise the team.

I disagree with you. CL has frequently shown that his teams are ready to battle for him. The team we played yesterday was just much better than us. What you are asking for is for us to play defensively in the hope of scraping a 1-0 defeat- precisely what he's been criticised for on this thread. We have to play better teams in the hope that we will eventually get better.

Disagree on all counts.

A good manager can get more from poorer players. He picks players out of position, lacks tactics to attack with, and has no plan B when things go tits up. That has been the case throughout his career in management.

Scotland are underachieving with him in charge and he needs to move over for someone better to come in.

Why are you bringing up England or trying to make a ridiculous comparison?

Of course we aren't as good as some nations, in the same way England aren't as good as Spain. That's why the group need's to be better than it currently is because man for man we are very weak.

Even the ROI, who're a nation of similar size, piss all over Scotland player for player.

My point is Scotland are shite because their players are baws are frequently bummed up to be much better than they are.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I'm not surprised at the result at all.

Gearing up for yet another disappointing qualifying campaign.

The Comedian

Even the ROI, who're a nation of similar size, piss all over Scotland player for player.

My point is Scotland are shite because their players are baws are frequently bummed up to be much better than they are.

We know. That's hardly an earth shattering comment. Nobody will argue different with a straight face, we are shite. If that's your point then consider it noted.

Point being the manager can produce results from the collective. A good manager can inspire player's to get better results than we should. Man for man Celtic are better than us but we've beaten them twice this season, Paolo got a performance out of the team which on paper shouldn't have happened. Scotland need to do the same and that'll never be with Levein.

RogerNebraska

I hate to say this, as it gives me the arsehole, and I can't be having the arsehole, but I thought Alex McLeish did a stand up job for the twenty or so minutes he was the Scottish boss. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I think he left because players were picking club first and he couldn't put out a consistent team.

Maurice Moss

I hate to say this, as it gives me the arsehole, and I can't be having the arsehole, but I thought Alex McLeish did a stand up job for the twenty or so minutes he was the Scottish boss. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I think he left because players were picking club first and he couldn't put out a consistent team.

I agree. However, I wouldn't take him back. The reason we were ok under McLeish is because he gets him teams organised, which was perfect for us at the time because we had players that fitted into a defensive formation. We now have more attacking players coming through, so its going to be very hard to punch above our weight. I thought Levein would do a good job at Scotland because he generally has well organised teams but you can only put out the players that you have, and he doesn't have much option with the current squad.

Tynie Willie

Klinsmann is apparently trying to line up a friendly against Gambia so that Landon Donovan can test himself against a better left back that Scotland provided.

colinmaroon

Why? I take it you be happier if he played for England?

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

It depends on what angle he was coming from.

I used to want Hearts players playing for Scotland but, after the Wallace injury, I'm not so sure anymore. We can't afford to have the likes of Webster out injured in some meaningless friendly or, even, a serious match.

Bit of a dichotomy for me but not ridiculous!

USA 300million+ Scotland 6million+. The difference.

Using that reasoning, I better lump on China to win the world cup....

Using that reasoning, I better lump on China to win the world cup....

Certainly within the next 30 years.

shaun.lawson

A 5-1 defeat against any side is always unacceptable. But why was this game played in the first place? At the end of a long season, what was the point? The USA are just starting a run of five games, and are in a completely different position to Scotland. Physically and mentally, it showed.

But that said, player for player, the USA are better, and as well as quality like Donovan or Howard, have guys dotted around Europe, playing in Italy, Germany or Portugal. Where are Scotland's equivalents? You don't have any. Many of the US players are playing at a higher standard every week than most of Scotland's - what's Levein supposed to do about that?

Now hey - if Scotland had a truly great, visionary coach in charge, like Hiddink or Klinsmann - or just a great, pragmatic coach, like Trappatoni - I've no doubt you'd be doing far better. Neither Australia nor the USA naturally play fast, attacking, inventive football, but Hiddink and Klinsmann got both doing so, because they're both absolutely brilliant at their jobs. But the SFA can't afford a coach like this, and the best Scottish coaches around - Ferguson, Moyes, even Lambert - won't touch the job with a bargepole.

All of which leaves an average team with an average manager, and a structure in Scotland which is beyond shocking. It's the system which has left the game in Scotland in such a mess, and is to blame for you not having qualified for anything since 1998. That's not the fault of any manager - but it hamstrings every single one of them. Left with inferior players, they have to be tactically smart - and invariably very cautious - to get anywhere. And what happens when they're cautious, or even ultra-cautious? They get pelters.

Scotland weren't cautious last night. They were just hammered. But in away game after away game for years and years, Scotland have been hammered: 5-1 last night. 3-0 in Sweden. 3-0 in Wales. 4-0 in Norway. Humiliating results, which suggest that, in the absence of the SFA suddenly finding millions of pounds from somewhere, ultra ultra caution (especially in away games) is about the only way forward. Because when you try to take on second or even third tier nations at football, you're found horribly wanting. Even in the 2-2 draw with the Czechs last Autumn, the home side were out-played to a frequently alarming extent.

Meaning it's make do and mend for every single coach; but there doesn't seem to be an understanding of this at all on here. "He just goes all out defence and hopes for a 1-0!" Well d'uh. With the players he's got, few coaches would do any different.

Just had a quick Twitter scan and there seems to be very little support for Levein out there.

As I said above, there's no chance of him going until he fails to get us to the World Cup but the fans seem to be turning on him. Journalists still haven't though.

Not that my opions matter.............

Game most likely organised for a nice pay out.

Easy fixture for the SFA, as its all arranged in English.

Waste of a game for the USA.

Ridiculous organising a game in the heat and high humidity of Florida, for a tired bunch of end of season players, who are used to close to zero temperatures.

Levein is not up to the job. A guy with a moderate track record and a view of the world that is rooted in Cowdenbeaths best chippie.

Good that most Americans have no idea about the game. With that shouldn't be ribbed too much at work.

Scottish football is in a mess and one factor is undoubtedy the attitude of the OF towards success. Filling their squads with medium ability foregn imports and buying up young Scottish talent as, at beat, squad players.

Whats for sure is that if Levein is in charge, we wont be qualifying for the WC finals. They should give him the rocket and get in some Dutch guy.

A Dutch manager would work well. Guaranteed fluent English speaker. Easy trip back to Amsterdam for family and lifestyle.

Just ranting on as it would be a nice feel good factor if Scotland could even get their act together like the Irish.

Richard Luffnan

the Jocks will finish 2nd bottom of the group .. heap of crap

Serbs, Croats and Belguim will humiliate us..

Levein = failure

Jeremy beagle

Not that my opions matter.............

Game most likely organised for a nice pay out.

Easy fixture for the SFA, as its all arranged in English.

Waste of a game for the USA.

Ridiculous organising a game in the heat and high humidity of Florida, for a tired bunch of end of season players, who are used to close to zero temperatures.

Levein is not up to the job. A guy with a moderate track record and a view of the world that is rooted in Cowdenbeaths best chippie.

Good that most Americans have no idea about the game. With that shouldn't be ribbed too much at work.

Scottish football is in a mess and one factor is undoubtedy the attitude of the OF towards success. Filling their squads with medium ability foregn imports and buying up young Scottish talent as, at beat, squad players.

Whats for sure is that if Levein is in charge, we wont be qualifying for the WC finals. They should give him the rocket and get in some Dutch guy.

A Dutch manager would work well. Guaranteed fluent English speaker. Easy trip back to Amsterdam for family and lifestyle.

Just ranting on as it would be a nice feel good factor if Scotland could even get their act together like the Irish.

Good post. Agree with almost all of it..

colinmaroon

Can I ask anyone who watched the game, I have recorded it and is it worth watching, or should I just watch SoccerAid?

So take it we will all be supporting Ireland at the Euros?

No, England

Ibrahim Tall

Can I ask anyone who watched the game, I have recorded it and is it worth watching, or should I just watch SoccerAid?

There'll be better players and a better game on show in Soccer Aid.

Vlad-Stupid

:what:

All aboard the England train :smuggy:

_44747330_englandfans_get_416.jpg

Italy for me.

Even if Scotland were there Id be supporting the Azzurri. Got my Euro 2012 headband ready.

Sterling Archer

People thinking Scotland should be beating a team like the USA :cornette:

colinmaroon

Have gritted my teeth and watched the 1st half and I think I can honsetly say that I have never seen such a tactically inept performance from a Scotland team in my living memory, and that includes Prague!

Felt really sorry for Webster and Caldwell - were we playing a 2-0-5-2-1?

Gregory House M.D.

USA 300million+ Scotland 6million+. The difference.

Fancy explaining Uruguay to us?

Gregory House M.D.

Germany for me. An outstanding young National team.

Stick-on to win it IMO.

shaun.lawson

Fancy explaining Uruguay to us?

Indeed. The same Uruguay are about to go 2nd in FIFA's world rankings next month. :o

Germany for me. An outstanding young National team.

Stick-on to win it IMO.

I'm not sure about them being a stick-on, but they're certainly my tip too. My doubts, though, concern how many big games a core of their key players have now lost:

- 2006 World Cup semi-final

- 2008 European Championship Final

- 2010 Champions League Final

- 2010 World Cup semi-final

- 2012 Champions League Final

And Bayern got a right hiding off Dortmund in the German Cup Final too, of course. How the Bayern players especially respond to those disastrous couple of weeks will be highly instructive.

rossthejambo

Italy for me.

Even if Scotland were there Id be supporting the Azzurri. Got my Euro 2012 headband ready.

The thinking man's team for the Euro's :thumbsup:

I fancy Germany to win, but I'll be supporting Italy all the way.

frankblack

People thinking Scotland should be beating a team like the USA :cornette:

:facepalm:

USA, one of the major forces in world football, winner of countless World Cups.

Oh wait.

USA are at least the level of team Scotland should be beating. We have regressed considerably in recent years under George Burley and Levein. Under Walter Smith we were making good progress, which McLeish maintained. The fact that we are playing shite under Levein's charge is down to his management primarily - a better manager would have got us qualification for the Euros. However, qualification is earned by hard work, good organisation, and some skill, not given away. Good organisation, hard work, and tactics can beat teams that on paper are better than you.

I don't think the USA's team is better than Scotland's man for man. A number of our best players were not there for that meaningless friendly.

Nookie Bear

The main problem with Scotland is that the players are actually shite on a world level. We dont have one player even remotely world class and a team like the USA, who despite what people think are far better than us, will continually hump us. We could have Fergie and Mourinho in charge and we'd still get gubbed.

Scotland are shite at football.

Pretty much the reason why I cant be arsed with international football, although I will enjoy watching the Euros.

The USA have no world class players either. They may have a cople of decent Premiership players in there, or guys who play in the top leagues around Europe, but none of them are stand-out performers in those leagues.

To lose to anyone 5-1 is an embarrassment and cannot be brushed away as CL would like.

The USA have no world class players either. They may have a cople of decent Premiership players in there, or guys who play in the top leagues around Europe, but none of them are stand-out performers in those leagues.

To lose to anyone 5-1 is an embarrassment and cannot be brushed away as CL would like.

Howard and Donovan?

Archived