US Thrashing

RogerNebraska

RogerNebraska

I've noticed several things about the US team lately, and seeing the comparison against us tonight was striking.

Firstly, they play more friendlies than we do, and look more like a team than we do. They play three formations and can switch between any of them at a moments notice. They can insert a player into a position, and over time teach them the nuances of the variations. Every player will, if not immediately then soon, know their job. They rotate the entire midfield so that there will always be a player on the overlap. Even when they were rubbish, they still believed in each other. Klinsmann always seeks to bring the strength of an attack to a point, usually on one flank, hence the overlap. They always make the most obvious pass for the opposition one that would take it back to the full back and then the keeper. They play fast in the first two thirds, then let the ball do the job in the final third. They don't tire as a result. Give caps to club team leaders, often captains. They always have a purpose for scheduling a friendly. God knows they play enough meaningless competitive games. Encourage players to play in foreign leagues.

What we do.

Make it up as we go along. Schedule friendlies for the money, and not for how they'll benefit the team. Don't have a definite core of players we can count on that we know will mesh. Don't place much value in playing for their country.

I hate to attack Levein, as he was a hero of mine as a player, but I really don't think he knows what he's doing. Scotland can do well as a team, maybe not great, but we're not asking anyone to step up and put the national team first. I'd start with playing a regular 11 and ask players to compete to start. I'd also arrange as many friendlies as possible and tell players to show up or ship out.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that we lack organisation. We do however, despite our small numbers, have equally talented players. If we could stop them drinking and pumping......

Gregory House M.D.

Can't wait until America are a global force in football and there's budweiser adverts every time the ball goes out and shite jingles to start the crowd.

:sob:

southside1874

I've noticed several things about the US team lately, and seeing the comparison against us tonight was striking.

Firstly, they play more friendlies than we do, and look more like a team than we do. They play three formations and can switch between any of them at a moments notice. They can insert a player into a position, and over time teach them the nuances of the variations. Every player will, if not immediately then soon, know their job. They rotate the entire midfield so that there will always be a player on the overlap. Even when they were rubbish, they still believed in each other. Klinsmann always seeks to bring the strength of an attack to a point, usually on one flank, hence the overlap. They always make the most obvious pass for the opposition one that would take it back to the full back and then the keeper. They play fast in the first two thirds, then let the ball do the job in the final third. They don't tire as a result. Give caps to club team leaders, often captains. They always have a purpose for scheduling a friendly. God knows they play enough meaningless competitive games. Encourage players to play in foreign leagues.

What we do.

Make it up as we go along. Schedule friendlies for the money, and not for how they'll benefit the team. Don't have a definite core of players we can count on that we know will mesh. Don't place much value in playing for their country.

I hate to attack Levein, as he was a hero of mine as a player, but I really don't think he knows what he's doing. Scotland can do well as a team, maybe not great, but we're not asking anyone to step up and put the national team first. I'd start with playing a regular 11 and ask players to compete to start. I'd also arrange as many friendlies as possible and tell players to show up or ship out.

difficult times.

RogerNebraska

I thought some of the Scottish passing was excellent. The humidity was a definite factor though. W couldn't get up in support or get back fast enough. Whoever thought a game in Florida at any time other than midwinter was a good idea is a apocalyptic moron. We need to be playing the likes of Guatemala or Canada if we're travelling west. We need the FIFA ranking points.

alicante jambo

5-1 it finished doesnt surprise me right enough with leveins tactics.Mind you that scoreline rings a bell.

ToadKiller Dog

Scotland never had a single shot on target . Our goal was a deflected OG , it was a friendly ok but friendlies are important in terms of world ranking for qualifying draws .

Yet to see any real sign of Scotland going anywhere under CL ,

we do have a few decent players and shouldnt be getting thumped 5-1 even without our best squad playing .

Jam Tarts 1874

I notice that the hunday mail is pretty much blaming Webster for everything.

as long as he didnt get injured i dont care. he should have been on a beech somewhere anyway.i care as much about international football as i do about h1b5

It was important to play this International to show just how far Scotland have regressed in terms of national standing. The USA have, on the other hand, moved on leaps and bounds. They were a pleasure to watch. Given what the governing bodies have allowed Rangers to get away with over the past decade it is hardly surprising. Vlad told us our game was corrupt and in decline almost as soon as he was in the door and he was vilified in the press and on JKB for that.

A revolution is needed now, but who has the stomach to lead it now Vlad has been driven out.

frankblack

Levein needs to be sacked now after that shambles, and so do the people who arranged this meaningless friendly.

It was clear our players (the ones who didn't pull out to go on holiday) were jaded and not the slightest bit interested. The team lacked any formation or tactics, and was fronted by two players who are long since finished at international level in Miller and Maloney.

We need a new manager in before the new campaign starts, and its time we got someone from outside Scotland, just not another Berti Vogts!

I stayed up to watch the Carl Froch fight on Sky, which was a good watch, only to turn over and see that shite start. Went to bed after half an hour of it.

The Comedian

It's like the SFA want us to tumble down the ranking's. WTF was the point of that match or the Brazil one for that matter?

Charlie Mulgrew was the worst player on the park

frankblack

Thats what I thought, but the Weegie media's darling old firm player of the year can't be described as that in their rags.

He was shite at Aberdeen and looked completely out of his depth last night.

The Comedian

I wonder how many blazers were at the game? Not many call-offs either, even after a long season.

This has NOTHING to do with a jolly to Florida, which boasts many fine golfing establishments and a thriving nightlife.

Our centre-backs had absolutely no help either from midfield or the full backs - it was bound to make Webster look bad when he's trying to cover three positions each time. Despite that I thought he played OK given the circumstances - first time playing with Caldwell etc

Wallace would have been a much better alternative at left back.

Thats what I thought, but the Weegie media's darling old firm player of the year can't be described as that in their rags.

He was shite at Aberdeen and looked completely out of his depth last night.

Totally correct. Resulted in Webster, as left CB, being dragged out all the time.

Craig Levein must go. He may have had limited success as Hearts manager and slightly more at Dundee United but at those clubs he was able to sign big, strong guys (hence our rep for being a big, physical side) who could easily cope with the demands of Scottish Premier League football and get to 3rd spot.

He tried the same in the Championship and quickly found out all the other teams were big and physical in that league. Now he's finding it impossible to do at international level as we simply don't have enough of his kind of player.

Also, with reference to my first sentence, Mulgrew won POTY for his performances at centre back. Last season and when pushed into left back this season he's been found sadly lacking (he wasn't Celtic's first choice there in 10/11 and he was pish, bar one first half cross, against us in the semi there). How can Scotland's manager not see that? Or are we back to getting the supposed best XI on the park in whatever positions?

frankblack

Totally correct. Resulted in Webster, as left CB, being dragged out all the time.

Craig Levein must go. He may have had limited success as Hearts manager and slightly more at Dundee United but at those clubs he was able to sign big, strong guys (hence our rep for being a big, physical side) who could easily cope with the demands of Scottish Premier League football and get to 3rd spot.

He tried the same in the Championship and quickly found out all the other teams were big and physical in that league. Now he's finding it impossible to do at international level as we simply don't have enough of his kind of player.

Also, with reference to my first sentence, Mulgrew won POTY for his performances at centre back. Last season and when pushed into left back this season he's been found sadly lacking (he wasn't Celtic's first choice there in 10/11 and he was pish, bar one first half cross, against us in the semi there). How can Scotland's manager not see that? Or are we back to getting the supposed best XI on the park in whatever positions?

Agree.

We need a manager who has experience of actually winning things. Other than getting teams to finish third in the SPL, what has he achieved?

The last campaign with Scotland was a complete failure, largely due to his negative or non-existent tactics. 4-6-0 away to the Czechs, draw away with Lithuania etc.

Alba gu Brath

Scotland - the hibs of international football. :blink:

Sad but true though its good to a Hearts player in the Scotland squad again.

Levein has no ambition. Like someone said above - he hopes for 1-0 and that's it.

Boab Mugabe

Good news. Don't want him playing for them.

:jjyay:

john brownlee

It was important to play this International to show just how far Scotland have regressed in terms of national standing. The USA have, on the other hand, moved on leaps and bounds. They were a pleasure to watch. Given what the governing bodies have allowed Rangers to get away with over the past decade it is hardly surprising. Vlad told us our game was corrupt and in decline almost as soon as he was in the door and he was vilified in the press and on JKB for that.

A revolution is needed now, but who has the stomach to lead it now Vlad has been driven out.

I remember when soootlan could gub teams like sweden norway denmark canada and a whole bunch more but now theres no minnoes left we can even get beat by the plankton

Everybody in the football world has inprove except soootlan

WHY?

frankblack

Good news. Don't want him playing for them.

:jjyay:

Why? I take it you be happier if he played for England?

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

Vlad-Stupid

Scotland have been pony ever since our game has been solely concentrated on trying to have a successful OF.

I thought Webster and Caldwell played not bad in the circumstances. Both full backs had absolute shockers and continually meant the centre halfs had to be covering and tidying up their mess. Webster made some key blocks and his distribution was decent when the USA were pressing high up the pitch.

To echo everyone else, is hard to describe just how bad Mulgrew was, there was absolutely nothing he excelled at last night. Some of his defending would have been shameful at Sunday league leveland I don't buy that it was because he was played at left back. He might not have been in his favoured position but he showed absolutely no signs that he had a clue about defending and it also doesn't excuse his poor touch, poor distribution and what I thought at times was a lack of effort and pride.

Maurice Moss

I thought Webster and Caldwell played not bad in the circumstances. Both full backs had absolute shockers and continually meant the centre halfs had to be covering and tidying up their mess. Webster made some key blocks and his distribution was decent when the USA were pressing high up the pitch.

To echo everyone else, is hard to describe just how bad Mulgrew was, there was absolutely nothing he excelled at last night. Some of his defending would have been shameful at Sunday league leveland I don't buy that it was because he was played at left back. He might not have been in his favoured position but he showed absolutely no signs that he had a clue about defending and it also doesn't excuse his poor touch, poor distribution and what I thought at times was a lack of effort and pride.

That's how I saw it. The number of times Mulgrew and Bardsley got caught in possession or gave the ball away was ridiculous. There was also no defensive minded centre midfielder meaning their midfield was constantly overrunning ours. Webster and Caldwell looked fine, not quite a partnership but fairly solid, and they looked comfortable when we were in possession.

Mulgrew is probably used to having loads of time on the ball at Celtic, he is never really pressed like that and he really struggled.

That's how I saw it. The number of times Mulgrew and Bardsley got caught in possession or gave the ball away was ridiculous. There was also no defensive minded centre midfielder meaning their midfield was constantly overrunning ours. Webster and Caldwell looked fine, not quite a partnership but fairly solid, and they looked comfortable when we were in possession.

Mulgrew is probably used to having loads of time on the ball at Celtic, he is never really pressed like that and he really struggled.

My concern now is how long it took for Levein to make a change. It was clear we were overrun in midfield and clear that we were so weak at full back but he didn't seem to change it till about the 4th goal. He also seemed to spendthe entire match sat on his arse, when there was patently huge problems for us at the time.

frankblack

My concern now is how long it took for Levein to make a change. It was clear we were overrun in midfield and clear that we were so weak at full back but he didn't seem to change it till about the 4th goal. He also seemed to spendthe entire match sat on his arse, when there was patently huge problems for us at the time.

Levein's job should have been in question after the last campaign, and I think its clear we need to remove him before the new one starts and give someone else time.

We may not have the best players, and this stupid friendly should never have been arranged, but he was supposed to coach and manage the team. There are teams in Scotland's group that are going to tear us a new one if he remains in charge.

The Comedian

Levein's job should have been in question after the last campaign, and I think its clear we need to remove him before the new one starts and give someone else time.

We may not have the best players, and this stupid friendly should never have been arranged, but he was supposed to coach and manage the team. There are teams in Scotland's group that are going to tear us a new one if he remains in charge.

We'll wait until qualification is beyond us after 4 games before we punt him. Then the new guy can salvage more misery from our failure.

:thumbsup:

We won't qualify from that group anyway to be honest. Serbia, Croatia and Belgium are all streets ahead. They'll deal with us trying to come away with a 1-0 defeat at home with no strikers and the group will be decided on their head-to-head matches. That or another Balkan War erupts.

Smoked-Glass

hate international friendlies, never watch them. I only care about the group games

frankblack

hate international friendlies, never watch them. I only care about the group games

Yes, and we did well under Levein in those, didn't we.

4-6-0 vs Czechs away is the most embarrassed I've ever felt watching a football match.

Levein must go before we get to the group games. :down:

Randy Marsh

Levein should have been removed after that debacle in the Czech Republic. He cost us our best chance of qualifying for a major since 1998 with his shameful tactics. If we had made the playoffs then we had a 50/50 chance of drawing either Ireland or Montenegro and an excellent opportunity to make Euro 2012.

Comes across as an arrogant person that cant take criticism which doesn't help.

Why? I take it you be happier if he played for England?

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

I'd assume the comment was made because, like me, he couldn't give a flying **** about international football and doesn't want our players risking injury whilst on duty for them, like Lee Wallace did.

frankblack

I'd assume the comment was made because, like me, he couldn't give a flying **** about international football and doesn't want our players risking injury whilst on duty for them, like Lee Wallace did.

Here's a quick reminder of a song you should know (copied and pasted from google search). Hopefully the bit in bold tells you something about our history and traditions:

Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park

There's a wee football team that aye

makes it's mark

They've won all the honours for

footballing arts

And there's nae other team to compare

with the Hearts

H-E-A-R-T-S

If you cannae spell it then here's

what it says

Hearts glorious Hearts

It's down at Tynecastle they bide

The talk of the toun are the boys in

Maroon

And Auld Reekie supports them with

pride

This is my story this is my song

Follow the Hearts and you can't go

wrong

For some say the Celtic and Rangers

are grand

but the boys in maroon are the best in

the land

And national caps we can always supply

like Massey and Walker or Bauld and

Mackay

if I had the time I could name dozens

more

who have helped in producing the old

Hampden roar

We've won the league flag and we've

won the league cup

Though we sometimes go down we will

aye go back up

Our forwards can score and it's NO

IDLE TALK

our defence is as strong as the old

castle rock

It was only a friendly, let's not look too deep into it. Other results included:

Switzerland beat Germany 5-3.

Finland beat Turkey 3-2.

Bulgaria beat Holland 2-1.

Some shockers of results there. Friendlys clearly don't mean anything to the big players, just another game. To the supposed underdogs, it means a lot more to take a big scalp.

Scotland were pish though :ninja:

Replacing CL isn't the answer. I don't agree that he set the team up to get a 1-0 result.The first half performance had some positives last nght agsinst a very committed and skilful side. I think he tried an experiment to play a more attacking side (after all people are always criticising him for playing stodgy football - unfairly in my opinion) and it didn't come off, largely because our midfield was so rank. Only Brown got pass marks from me. We have to accept that our players aren't as fit or skilful as our counterparts. He can only work with what he has.

IMA MAROON

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18218317

The first booking of the match came after 29 minutes when United States skipper and Rangers defender Carlos Bocanegra was cautioned for a challenge on Celtic rival Scott Brown.

Brown was then the victim of a crunching challenge by Jones, who escaped a booking from the referee.

:thumbsup:

Here's a quick reminder of a song you should know (copied and pasted from google search). Hopefully the bit in bold tells you something about our history and traditions:

And national caps we can always supply

like Massey and Walker or Bauld and

Mackay

if I had the time I could name dozens

more

who have helped in producing the old

Hampden roar

A smashing song, Francis. What's your point? That because I'm a Hearts fan, I should be forced to care about the national team? Or that if I don't care about the national team, I'm not a Hearts fan?

Gies peace.

Boab Mugabe

Correct.

Any interest in international games begins and ends with Hearts involvement.

frankblack

Replacing CL isn't the answer. I don't agree that he set the team up to get a 1-0 result.The first half performance had some positives last nght agsinst a very committed and skilful side. I think he tried an experiment to play a more attacking side (after all people are always criticising him for playing stodgy football - unfairly in my opinion) and it didn't come off, largely because our midfield was so rank. Only Brown got pass marks from me. We have to accept that our players aren't as fit or skilful as our counterparts. He can only work with what he has.

Disagree on all counts.

A good manager can get more from poorer players. He picks players out of position, lacks tactics to attack with, and has no plan B when things go tits up. That has been the case throughout his career in management.

Scotland are underachieving with him in charge and he needs to move over for someone better to come in.

5-1 against the USA? :rofl:

Couldn't give a flying **** about international football but if I did I'd be calling for Craig Levein's head, likes.

frankblack

A smashing song, Francis. What's your point? That because I'm a Hearts fan, I should be forced to care about the national team? Or that if I don't care about the national team, I'm not a Hearts fan?

Gies peace.

Not directed at you in particular, more Boab Mugabe, who bothers to post on a Scotland thread when he clearly doesn't care for our national team.

Any professional footballer should have the ambition to play for their country. The fact ours happens to be gash at present means we are more in need of players.

When people on here post that they don't want our players to play for their country, it makes us look like Old Firm fans. Lee Wallace's injury was a result of an assault from a Liechtenstein player, which should have resulted in a red card. The same thing could happen in a Hearts friendly match - should we not play those either in pre-season? Football is a contact sport, and injuries happen - there isn't much you can do about it.

Also, most of our injuries at Hearts seem to happen in training. Perhaps Hearts should stop that as well to make sure we don't get injuries.... :unsure:

I remember Wallace Mercer saying that Robbo should pull out of the Scotland squad to play Romania after we sacked Alex MacDonald. Robbo scored Scotland's first goal in a 2-1 win for Scotland.

Gary Caldwell, Charlie Mulgrew, Phil Bardsley, Scott Brown, Shaun Maloney, Kenny Miller, Steven Whittaker, Matt Phillips, Craig Bryson, Don Cowie and Craig MacKail-Smith.

Players from last night who are nowhere near good enough to get anybody to a major tournament.

The likes of Barry Bannan, James McCarthy and David Goodwillie obviously have time to improve, but Scotland's problems are simply that the players aren't good enough. That's hardly Leveins fault.

Also, most of our injuries at Hearts seem to happen in training. Perhaps Hearts should stop that as well to make sure we don't get injuries.... :unsure:

Training is a contracted club duty.

Playing for your national team isn't.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Gary Caldwell, Charlie Mulgrew, Phil Bardsley, Scott Brown, Shaun Maloney, Kenny Miller, Steven Whittaker, Matt Phillips, Craig Bryson, Don Cowie and Craig MacKail-Smith.

Players from last night who are nowhere near good enough to get anybody to a major tournament.

The likes of Barry Bannan, James McCarthy and David Goodwillie obviously have time to improve, but Scotland's problems are simply that the players aren't good enough. That's hardly Leveins fault.

James McCarthy plays for Ireland.

:facepalm:

Gigolo-Aunt

Last night was a bad one, no doubt on that one. I think we will know where we are after 4 games in to the next qualifying campaign. Unless Scotland are united in thinking not qualifying was damn unlucky and there are clear signs of improvement, Levein will not start the next qualification as Scotland manager.

I'm not sure what the point was for dragging players in need of a rest half way across the world to play in soaring heat. Seems rather a strange friendly to take and one coupled with the scoreline adds a bit more pressure on to Levein - something that could have been avoided.

Archived