Scottish Grand National

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Whats your fancies for the big race today then?

Historically, any horse that won at Cheltenham doesnt win the Scottish National, so that rules out Old Benny, Mike de Beauchene ran a corker in finishing 2nd at Cheltenham too, so can probably discount him, Halcon Generaldais has 11st 10ib to lump round 4 miles so it would be amazing if he won it, and the only one left thats still in the handicap is Opera Mundi!

What a tricky little race to pick a winner from this year although I think Noir Et Vert has an amazing chance, his first run of the season was at Cheltenham and he's had a lighter campaign than most, he also has an amatuer jockey claiming 7lbs on board which could prove crucial.

So, a very tentative selection is Noir Et Vert, but if Old Benny can reproduce his Chetenham form, then he will be very hard to beat.

I wouldnt take this as gospel though as I aint had the Scottish National winner since 2000, and find this race more tricky to pick winners from than the big national! :confused:

Old Benny ?2 EW...Daughter picked coz Her Baby Brothers called Ben...

Royal Rosa ?2 EW...Son Dribbled on the paper, This is what his spit landed on!!

Patsy Hall ?2 EW...Wife picked it...

Me, I couldnae pick the winner in a 1 horse race so I'm not bothering!!

Iris de Balme (66-1) produced an astonishing sprint finish to win the Scottish Grand National at Ayr.

Amateur rider Charlie Huxley pulled the Sean Curran-trained eight-year-old out of the pack in the closing stages to win the four-mile race by 14 lengths.

Iris de Balme was 22 pounds out of the handicap, but gave none of his rivals a chance, least of all top-weight Halcon Genelardais, who stayed on for second.

Flintoff was third with the favourite Old Benny taking fourth place.

Huxley said afterwards: "To be fair, the horse has jumped me into the race.

"I saw 'Choc' (Halcon Genlardais' jockey Robert Thornton) come off the bridle and I thought it was time to kick on.

"He's a class horse, a class jumper - absolutely super."

Former jockey-turned-trainer Curran added: "I've been training 18 months.

"I rode in the race a couple of years ago, but I was more nervous watching than riding!" Scottish Grand National (Ayr)

1. Iris de Balme (Mr C Huxley) 66-1

2. Halcon Genelardais (R Thornton) 10-1

3. Flintoff (A Coleman) 28-1

4. Old Benny (R Johnson) 4-1 fav

24 ran

Distances: 14 lengths; 2? lengths

Fat Striker

I picked Iris de Balme in the works sweepstake. Thought I had no chance.

Put 50p e/w at 80/1 this morning for a laugh

Oh happy day!!!!!

Guy in the work was going to the bookies today and asked me if i wanted a bet after a quick scan i said ?5 on iris de balme and he said dont be stupid its 100/1 so i changed it and off he went.

10 mins later i fely uneasy about having changed my first instinct so phoned him and told him to do ?1.50 ew on iris as well.

Delighted

Archived