GTA IV Lazlow Speaks.

hughesie27

GTA IV Goes Gold + Lazlow Speaks on GTA IV + New Screenshots

Posted by Andy at 21:23. Category: General

4362-gold.jpg

GTA IV Goes Gold!

Yesterday saw the opening of pre-registration for the Rockstar Social Club, and despite some technical issues, the launch was mostly a success; thousands of gamers quickly swooped in to secure their Social Club membership within less than an hour of the Social Club going live. Also occuring yesterday was Take Two's annual (albeit brief) shareholders meeting, in which an announcement from Take Two confirmed that Grand Theft Auto IV has "gone gold" with production in full swing.

Today also has its fair share of GTA IV perks. Lazlow Jones -- a lead writer, radio host, and long-time fan favourite who has been responsible for much of the dialogue and content found within most Grand Theft Auto titles -- appeared on the Opie and Anthony show earlier today to discuss his role in the development of Grand Theft Auto IV. While he touches on much of what we already know, he also goes into more detail on subjects that haven't received as much blatant coverage (including the downloadable content for Xbox and Rockstar North's inevitable "one month vacation" after GTA IV's release).

Here's a summary of some of the info that Lazlow covered on the show:

• There are over 100 radio commercials in the game.
  • Announcements on the subway system will randomly alert you of spontaneous police harassment, security checks and searches.
  • The faux-beer brand "Piswasser" takes a jab at Budweiser, including a radio commercial sung by Anthony himself.
  • GTA IV's in-game internet is ridiculously extensive, featuring spoofs of liberal and conservative news sources with coverage of your in-game antics, as well as spoofs popular blogs and websites (craigslist, for example). Irritating pop-up banner ads also make an appearance.
  • Niko can hook up with a wide range of girls via dating websites.
  • Injuries mean much more in GTA IV. When Niko gets shot in the leg, for example, he'll begin to bleed and limp.
  • Recording sessions for dialogue and in-game audio went on for ten hours a day, five days a week. The entire process took weeks to finish.
  • Rockstar employees have been working overtime and well into the weekends to complete the game.
  • Between the Xbox 360 version of the game and the PS3 version, Lazlow admits that he prefers the 360 version thanks to the downloadable content; new missions, new characters, new comedy, etc.

There's new things coming out every day in the run up to release, It's going to be torture. Loving the highlighted bit Hughesie :laugh:

Darth Sidious

Saw the Niko walking the streets ad last night. Was giggling like a baby. Funny look from the wife, can't wait. She is buying it for me,hope she knows the score.

I dont have a PS3 or 360 so i keep telling myself i dont need this game as it would be bloody expensive for me to buy it. :sad:

:oopsoops:

I dont have a PS3 or 360 so i keep telling myself i dont need this game as it would be bloody expensive for me to buy it. :sad:

I got my 360 just for GTA back in October!

Just listen to that devil on your shoulder. ''Go onnnnn you know you want it.''

Then the Angel on the other side. ''Yeahh go onnnnn feed your need!!!''

GTA IV Audio Q&A

Posted by Andy at 02:36. Category: General

The movies that we watch, the games that we play... they just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for the audio. The Grand Theft Auto series is no exception; the ambiance of the city is as important to Grand Theft Auto as the Imperial March is to Star Wars. GTA IV aims to maintain this healthy balance of audio and visual, and on that note, I'm happy to say that GamesRadar has just recently posted a multi-page Audio Q&A for Grand Theft Auto IV.

The Q&A includes Matthew Smith, Craig Conner and Will Morton, all of whom are senior employees with the Rockstar North audio team. Some quotes that we found particularly interesting:

• "Stand in the street and you’ll hear three different radio stations at any one time coming from passing vehicles, all sounding appropriately tinny or boomy, depending on the type of vehicle and whether its doors are open, its windows broken, etc."
  • "It was our aim that you could place the player in a random position on the map, shut your eyes and listen, and be able to tell where you are, and what time of day it is, and I think we’ve achieved that pretty well."
  • "For multiplayer, we balance [the sound of gunfire] so that guns only really sound dangerously beefy when they’re at a distance you can be hit from, so it’s intuitive what’s threatening and what’s someone else’s private war."
  • "It’s difficult to quantify how many speaking parts there are, but at our last count there were over 740 unique voices in the game. There are over 80,000 individual lines of dialogue, more than 7000 of which are Niko’s lines. If you were to listen to each line back to back, it would take over 29 hours. Also, these figures don’t take the radio, TV, and mo-capped cut-scene dialogue into consideration."
  • "We also decided to make the pedestrian dialogue more realistic in GTA4. As an example, peds in previous games would walk around and randomly chat to themselves if they weren’t doing much else. In real life, people (generally!) don’t go around talking to themselves, so we dropped this behavior from GTA4. However, we realized that the random chat of old GTA games was a good way for the player to pick-up on what sort of personality a ped has, so we created the cell-phone conversations in GTA4 as one realistic way of portraying personality."

Do you know how many individual sound effect files are in GTA IV?

MS: We have around four-and-a-half thousand individual sfx in the game, which are combined into around 19 thousand different combinations. That’s ignoring the insane amount of dialogue, cutscenes and radio content. Rain sounds alone take up around a third of the entire audio budget for San Andreas!

Over 100 radio commercials? Brilliant, some of them are quality.

How do you eat your Rusty Brown's ring donuts? :laugh:

I want more Cluckin Bell.

:D

Haha, that song was quality. On some on the forums people are suggesting that the hidden packages are actually pigeons...

1208268098.jpg

They are only going on this quote, would be a good idea though...

Guest GhostHunter

"An average ped will have about 200 lines of dialogue. While the script is being written, actors are cast and studio time is booked."

Jayzuz....

Haha, that song was quality. On some on the forums people are suggesting that the hidden packages are actually pigeons...

1208268098.jpg

Alot easier to find at least than the random way you stumbled across them in previous vertsions.I think it is great that Crackdown and Saints Row came out before GTA as GTA has used there best implements well.The aiming system was brilliant in Saints Row and GTA has taken that on board and the route map when you are driving has also been taking from Saints Row all of which is going to make GTA much better.

1208268098.jpg

Yea, that is what I thought it would be as there was a list of achievements put up on a site (unknown if it was real or not) but one was to shoot 100 pigeons.

I never read the rest incase it spoiled anything for me but I think this was the last one on the list.

You won't be able to listen to the radio when your not in a car, they've cut that feature out. Doesn't bother me that much tbh.

You won't be able to listen to the radio when your not in a car, they've cut that feature out. Doesn't bother me that much tbh.

Link?

Getting worried GAME have sent out an email saying thier warehouse staff are working round the clock to make sure everyone will have there game by release date.

All that says is MP3, nothing about the radio. They might have meant your own music.

I read it on the xbox forums, I've been trying to find it but they start a different thread every minute on that forum. I hope we can listen to the radio on foot though. People think if we get the game on the Monday we won't be able to unlock any of the achievements as the Rockstar Social Club doesn't go live until the 29th.

I doubt it, I wreckon achievements are between the game and the 360. Otherwise what happens if you don't have it hooked up to the net or never registered to the Social Club?

If they don't work until the tuesday then I assume that they will start working on the Tuesday anyway.

I only use the forum on http://www.gtanet.com

It's pretty good but full of lots of stupid Americans.

I doubt it, I wreckon achievements are between the game and the 360. Otherwise what happens if you don't have it hooked up to the net or never registered to the Social Club?

If they don't work until the tuesday then I assume that they will start working on the Tuesday anyway.

I only use the forum on http://www.gtanet.com

It's pretty good but full of lots of stupid Americans.

Will give that a look, cheers. They think the achievements will be locked down until the 29th because the first 10 people to complete the game 100% get something from Rockstar. Load of p!sh if you ask me, I'd never rush through this game.

We're not supposed to have the game before the 29th anyway, so people without Live would just have to deal with it I guess...

Mines is preordered at game so I won't be getting it until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway. Probably won't get a decent run trow it until the wekend but that suits me as a couple of short sessions will let me finally be able to play it but not allow me to rush through the story mode.

Mines is preordered at game so I won't be getting it until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway. Probably won't get a decent run trow it until the wekend but that suits me as a couple of short sessions will let me finally be able to play it but not allow me to rush through the story mode.

Did you preorder online or in the shop? Some guy on the forums phoned up Game and they said people who ordered online should get them on the Monday, people who ordered in the shop will get them on the Tuesday.

Nah in the shop back in February. As soon as it comes out I'm warning you if you get it on Monday and post up all your spoilers I'm persoanlly going to come round to your house and make a copy of the game before snapping your disc in half!

UnworthyPapaLazaru

I cant remember for sure, but I think I read when you get a better mobile phone it has a radio built in.

Nah in the shop back in February. As soon as it comes out I'm warning you if you get it on Monday and post up all your spoilers I'm persoanlly going to come round to your house and make a copy of the game before snapping your disc in half!

Haha, I may need to discuss some things and post up some gameplay footage. I'll pretend I'm stuck on a mission just to p!ss you off. ;)

dodethejambo

Im with you there brother.:mad: (missus want to get a wii)

Is there any chance that it will be released on ps2 at a later date or are we screwed

No chance of it being on the Ps2,

You could pick up the arcade version of the 360 (no 20Gig memory) for ?160.

Im with you there brother.:mad: (missus want to get a wii)

Is there any chance that it will be released on ps2 at a later date or are we screwed

Nah 360/PS3 only

http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/HardwareBundle/~r334572/Sony-PlayStation-3-with-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/5387997/Xbox-360-Premium-Console-+-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/Product.html?dpr=2524

May the RROD curse see it's way to your 360.

Don't jinx it! I've been trying not to use it too much recently incase it happens.

Dode, put the foot down and get a real console.

When does it actually come out?

I really want this game but don't have a ps3 or xbox 360. :sad:

Where have you been?

A week on Tuesday (29th April).

Get a 360 in a bundle with Call of Duty or Pro Ev or something. Get Xbox Live.(?5 per month or ?35 a year) You will have a ball.

Where have you been?

A week on Tuesday (29th April).

Get a 360 in a bundle with Call of Duty or Pro Ev or something. Get Xbox Live.(?5 per month or ?35 a year) You will have a ball.

Hmm. This might sound picky but I've always hated the Xbox controller. :o

Hmm. This might sound picky but I've always hated the Xbox controller. :o

Well spend an extra ?80-?100 on the PS3 or put up with.;)

Right, I've not ordered the game from anywhere. Whats my best chance at getting the game as early as possible?

Right, I've not ordered the game from anywhere. Whats my best chance at getting the game as early as possible?

A midnight launch.

A midnight launch.

Got Pro Evo out of Asda at midnight before, probably give that a bash for GTA then!

Hmm you could try but I'm sure the supermarkets tend to only get a small number.

If you queued outside GAME at the GYLE or somewhere I think you would have a better chance.

Good News. My 360 came back today so that was just under 2 weeks. I hooked it all up and switched it on just to get the RROD again! But I unplugged it from the maings and re connected it and it seems to work now so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Any idea how I reconnect it to my wireless adapter thing? I got a new wireless router last week if that makes any difference?

Good News. My 360 came back today so that was just under 2 weeks. I hooked it all up and switched it on just to get the RROD again! But I unplugged it from the maings and re connected it and it seems to work now so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Any idea how I reconnect it to my wireless adapter thing? I got a new wireless router last week if that makes any difference?

I done that aswell, It's just a loose cable. You'll need to goto the network bit on the dashboard and enter some number that's on the back on your router....I think. Are you on the XBL bit on KB, if so I'll add you.

Mud slinging from microsoft themselves, priceless.

Its probably best to install anyway if you using the 360 version. It'll more then likley reduce pop-ups and the textures will load much quicker.

Haha, I thought it was funny. I'd like to install it but it seems we're not getting a choice.

Yea, I thought it would be a loose cable.

I figured out how to get it hooked up. But it failed the MTU test saying that XBL would be up after 5 tonight. Will try again just now.

Archived