Aussie Defender McGowan wins 5 year contract.

Charlie-Brown

Did he play against Barcelona? In central defence with Jonsson?

I think that is the only time I've seen him play. He looked like a good player in that game and wasn't fazed by it at all.

It is a shame that we haven't blooded any players this year as this will have a negative effect on the squad in future years. That should be put right with some of the better younger players getting games in the next few weeks.

Drew Busby !

Ordinarily this would be the kind of good news that I like to hear. But the way this club operates it means diddly-squat to be honest.

The 5-year deal is undoubtedly sensible from the value perspective, if he turns out to be the real-deal then of course the club will cash-in say 3 years down the line. Perfectly standard and perfectly acceptable.

However what bursts my bubble is that there is absolutely no indication of any notion of team-building at Tynecastle. There is absolutely no indication that McGowan and others will be assembled into a team that will either challenge - or at least entertain us.

As we've seen from Bednar, there is no obstacle to the club obtaining good money for players, regardless of the fact that their careers - and the fortunes of the club - are being played out in a dead-end existence in Gorgie.

As long as VR can keep this poorly functioning sausage-machine churning out some players with some value that can be realised on the market , then all other "normal" football considerations that we as fans care about...seem to be irrelevent. I cite as the most recent evidence for that view... this season.

chester copperpot

Ryan should be pushing 1st choice in the 1st team next season. I prefer him as a CH, but he can also operate in midfield. This is one 5 year deal that I'm happy about.

Just need to get Visconte sorted on similar terms. ;)

Ryan should be pushing 1st choice in the 1st team next season. I prefer him as a CH, but he can also operate in midfield. This is one 5 year deal that I'm happy about.

Just need to get Visconte sorted on similar terms. ;)

Too true.

chester copperpot
Too true.

I am going to sponsor the Rockster next season, so I am slightly biased. ;)

Heart of the Matter

However what bursts my bubble is that there is absolutely no indication of any notion of team-building at Tynecastle. There is absolutely no indication that McGowan and others will be assembled into a team that will either challenge - or at least entertain us.

As long as VR can keep this poorly functioning sausage-machine churning out some players with some value that can be realised on the market , then all other "normal" football considerations that we as fans care about...seem to be irrelevent. I cite as the most recent evidence for that view... this season.

Good post.

There is little doubt in my mind that VR cares more about capitalising on the sale of players than he does about assembling a successful team. The revenue from sales of Craig Gordon and Paul Hartley was not apparently reinvested in the squad, nor I suspect will any income accrued by UBIg from the sale of Velicka or Bendar in the future.

Any half decent young player will be developed and integrated into the first team with a view to selling him on as soon as the first decent offer appears, regardless of the impact on the team. That's fair enough if VR's primary aim is to create a stable of assets for sale, but not if he ever hopes to achieve long-term football success, where continuity and home-grown player development are key.

It reminds me of one of those unscrupulous puppy farms whose sole aim is to breed them, then shift them as soon as they can be sold.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm going to have to go against the majority here.

Time and time again we have handed out long term contracts to youngsters only for the players form to drop at an alarming rate.

Steven Simmons is the first to come to mind. Came onto the scene looking hungry, enthusiastic and talented. Left the club looking like a donkey and now plays first division football.

McGowan may have a lot of potential .... I'd rather he showed he can make the step up before we secure his future though.

I liked the way we handled Eggert Jonssons contract.

Judging by reports, he seems to be a top prospect ... I just worry that they get into a comfort zone knowing that they don't have to fight for their future.

Was Sives not a promising youngster who we handed a long term deal to? Think he goes on loan every season now until his contract is up.

Who knows though, it may be good business.

chester copperpot

Time and time again we have handed out long term contracts to youngsters only for the players form to drop at an alarming rate.

Steven Simmons is the first to come to mind. Came onto the scene looking hungry, enthusiastic and talented. Left the club looking like a donkey and now plays first division football.

McGowan may have a lot of potential .... I'd rather he showed he can make the step up before we secure his future though.

Judging by reports, he seems to be a top prospect ... I just worry that they get into a comfort zone knowing that they don't have to fight for their future.

Was Sives not a promising youngster who we handed a long term deal to? Think he goes on loan every season now until his contract is up.

Ryan McGowan (Big Gowzer's) is big news mate, he's going very very well, and If Im honest, wer're lucky to have him here at hearts.

I think he's miles better than anything we have at CH (including Berra, but thats another debate) and better than Eggert IMO in midfield. Better than Mikey, and the rest.

Ryan's one that Im over the moon to get secured on a LT contract. Anyone else doubting it doesn't know the ins and outs of football. FWIW I think Ryan and big Rapnik could spearhead an SPL title charge in the next 3 years, but thats just me being positive for a change. ;)

jamboinglasgow

I think five year contracts can work if you structure it right. Say you put a set wage, you tell the player that if he reaches an acceptable increase in performance over the season then he will gain a pay rise in wages and possibly a rise in bonus. If they dont raise their performance then no increase in wage. If dont improve the first season and improve the second then they gain the first increase.

Denny Crane
but thats just me being positive for a change. ;)

Did you take a wrong turning into kickback? The garden of peace, tranquility and enlightenment was the second road on the left. This is the first.....;)

hmfc_liam06
This only proves Frail will be getting the gig in the Summer.

Vlad gtf.

etc etc.

how?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I think five year contracts can work if you structure it right. Say you put a set wage, you tell the player that if he reaches an acceptable increase in performance over the season then he will gain a pay rise in wages and possibly a rise in bonus. If they dont raise their performance then no increase in wage. If dont improve the first season and improve the second then they gain the first increase.

Aye, depends if Hearts have done it that way I suppose.

I'm not doubting his ability ... can't wait to see him infact.

Just going on how deals like this have worked in the past.

Aye, depends if Hearts have done it that way I suppose.

I'm not doubting his ability ... can't wait to see him infact.

Just going on how deals like this have worked in the past.

I don't mind the five year deal thing, but it has to be used in the right way. Giving everybody with an ounce of potential a five year deal is not the way to do things, something we have done too much.

Even though I rate him really highly, I think we should have did with McGowan what we done with Eggert. See how he performs in the first team for a season/half a season and then bring out the long contract.

While we look like asses having 9 or 10 players who are not good enough, out on loan with 2, 3 and 4 years left and no chance of playing for Hearts, I am pleased that there is little danger of Christophe Berra, Andy Driver, Lee Wallace, Eggert Jonsson and Ryan McGowan of going anywhere soon.

We're off at a tangent already about giving out 5 year contracts. I doubt if anyone on here knows the terms of Gowser's contract yet they are willing to spout off based on assumption. From what I understand contracts now are to be based on a bonus system allied to success so that should mitigate any fears people have we are repeating our previous errors.

I have never seen the lad, except for his short cameo role v Barca but from what respected contributors to this board say, it is right that he is tied up asap.

jamboinglasgow
We're off at a tangent already about giving out 5 year contracts. I doubt if anyone on here knows the terms of Gowser's contract yet they are willing to spout off based on assumption. From what I understand contracts now are to be based on a bonus system allied to success so that should mitigate any fears people have we are repeating our previous errors.

I have never seen the lad, except for his short cameo role v Barca but from what respected contributors to this board say, it is right that he is tied up asap.

never said I knew what his conditions were, just said its a way that Hearts could do it.

never said I knew what his conditions were, just said its a way that Hearts could do it.

Sorry I was not really referring to your post but to those who seek to make a negative out of some positive news.

jamboinglasgow
Sorry I was not really referring to your post but to those who seek to make a negative out of some positive news.

ah, opps, then I do agree with what you have been saying then

maroonedinoz

Nothing stated in this sarticle that is contentious but a general word about any articles appearing under 'Tribal Football''s banner.

Site owner..Lou Sticca?

Player's agent....??

Yep.....and the players agent in this instance.

As I say, nothing contentious in this story, but handy to know.

hmfc_liam06
how no?

Because players contracts are not up to the manager, at our club and at many clubs around the world. Thats what director of football does.

Here is a quote from todays bbc site regarding man united players

"Ferguson was informed of the news by chief executive David Gill this morning but the length of the deals has not been revealed."

That says to me Ferguson wasn't involved in the contracts.

Dirk Diggler
Because players contracts are not up to the manager, at our club and at many clubs around the world. Thats what director of football does.

Here is a quote from todays bbc site regarding man united players

"Ferguson was informed of the news by chief executive David Gill this morning but the length of the deals has not been revealed."

That says to me Ferguson wasn't involved in the contracts.

Never mind.

:)

Archived