Top players who have began their careers in Scotland

Jambomullins

Jambomullins

One for the older boys this.

An Everton supporting mate of mine asked whether I remember Graeme Sharpe playing against Hearts when he was at Dumbarton. It got me thinking about other players who went down south and were stars there ie Alan Hansen, Gordon Strachan, Gary Mcallister and how I never saw them play while in Scotland.

Does anyone have any memories of players such as these playing against the Jambos?

Gordon strachan playing for Dundee against us. Ginger haired Gordon playing for Dumbarton in the 1976 semi final against us; went on to play for Coventry then forest. Mcallister for Motherwell. Remember Gordon McQueen being manager/ coach of st mirren in a league cup game midweek (we won). Davie proven playing for sellick, nicholarse, 1 eyed walker for them ( c""t scored the winner in 88). Bob latchford's brother in goal for sellick; busby banged 2 past him at Tyne in late 70's.............

Allowayjambo1874

Recall ally macmoist playing for st johnstone and he was good but didn't think he turn into player he did. Rino gattuso was just a thug and look what he went on to do. John brown was excellent for dundee and was gutted when we didn't take him when he failed a medical. Mo johnston always looked lively when he was with partick a bit like naismith always a pain and got goals.

To give Hibs as little credit as possible, Steven Fletcher is a pretty decent player.

It's also nice to see Vaz Te, even though he didn't start his career in Scotland, and who was absolutely useless at Hibs, doing well in the Championship, and possibly next year, in the Prem! :thumbsup:

McArthur and McCarthy at Wigan were half decent young players at Hamilton Accies.

Duncan Ferguson was no bad at Dundee United.

Played for us rather than against us but Ricardo Fuller has gone up a few levels since his Tynecastle days.

Anton Rogan played in an FA cup final after "starring" for the Mhanks. whistling.gif

Johanes de Silentio

Gordon strachan playing for Dundee against us. Ginger haired Gordon playing for Dumbarton in the 1976 semi final against us; went on to play for Coventry then forest. Mcallister for Motherwell. Remember Gordon McQueen being manager/ coach of st mirren in a league cup game midweek (we won). Davie proven playing for sellick, nicholarse, 1 eyed walker for them ( c""t scored the winner in 88). Bob latchford's brother in goal for sellick; busby banged 2 past him at Tyne in late 70's.............

Ian Wallace?

Johanes de Silentio

An Everton supporting mate of mine asked whether I remember Graeme Sharpe playing against Hearts when he was at Dumbarton. It got me thinking about other players who went down south and were stars there ie Alan Hansen, Gordon Strachan, Gary Mcallister and how I never saw them play while in Scotland.

Graeme Sharpe. :facepalm:

Archie Gemmill started at St Mirren, I think, and Joe Jordan started at Morton.

JamboAberdeen

"King Kenny" started his career at Celtic, though you may consider there as in Ireland, not in Scotland.

I can remember watching Gordon McQueen playing for St Mirren.Paul Lambert as well.

Andy Gray for Dundee Utd.

Steve Archibald,Pat Nevin for Clyde.

Murdo McLeod,Ian Wallace,McAdam brothers for Dunbarton,Sharpe i cannot remember.

Gary Gillispie for Falkirk and Kevin McAllister for Camelon Juniors.

Dixie Deans for Motherwell.

Neil McNabb,Joe Harper for Morton.

Steve Nicholl,Johnny Doyle Ayr Utd.

world cup winner rino gattuso - dirty wee bugger then. also mikel arteta as a youngster at Rangers.....how could they afford these players???? Oh, aye, they couldn't!

Henrik Larsson....

One of the best players ever to play in Scotland.

Remind me what wee Scottish team he started his career at?

Saw Alan Hansen play against us for Partick Thistle.Thought he was crap.

I was wrong!

Archived