'You know nothing about football'

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This wee saying is becoming more and more common on here I've noticed recently. Usually used by folk who you just know have barely kicked a baw and couldn't run the length of themselves.

I find it quite an odd thing to say to someone unless you've played the game at professional level.

What qualifies someone to say this do you think? Sounds a bit of a daft thing for an office monkey to say to another office monkey.

This wee saying is becoming more and more common on here I've noticed recently. Usually used by folk who you just know have barely kicked a baw and couldn't run the length of themselves.

I find it quite an odd thing to say to someone unless you've played the game at professional level.

What qualifies someone to say this do you think? Sounds a bit of a daft thing for an office monkey to say to another office monkey.

I remember some guy shouting this at Jimmy Calderwood until he was red in the face when we beat his Aberdeen side in the Cup in 2006.

I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

When used on JKB, it's usually as an insult when you've already ran out of criticisms of a poster.

It's down to some video games, I reckon.

People play Football Manager and believe they knows the ins and outs of football.

Napoleon  Wilson

I have used this phrase at a never-been-to-parkhead-gloryhunting-Celtic-fan who i'm unfortunate enough to have to work with.

He said if Celtic were in the Championship, they would finish top by a clear 20-30 points. Fact.

The mind boggles.

It's down to some video games, I reckon.

People play Football Manager and believe they knows the ins and outs of football.

How about the poeple who watch Sky Sports, picking up useless shite like how many yards on average Luis Suarez runs in he first half of all games vs Bolton that are on a Sunday lunchtime on a mild winters day in January. After that they think of themselves as some sort of Jeff Stelling statto pub quiz god.

:vrface:

Actually just the way Sky Sports generally go waaay too in depth. I don't care exactly how many passes van Persie completed vs Sunderland, who the hell sits there for 90mins and counts that stuff?

I dunno though.

Playing the game professionally or even at an amatuer level doesn't mean you have more knowledge either.

Pele for example is arguably the greatest footballer ever and he is known to be a bit of a slaverer.

Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger are two of the best managers in the world.

Similarly- I've often thought that somebody who has spent years watching numerous games with a overall outsider viewpoint may actually have a better grasp of the overall game than say the right back whose just doing exactly what his manager has told him to do.

With regards to one office monkey saying another office monkey doesn't know anything about football - I presume they are basing it on 1- the viewpoint being discussed, 2- the manner in which it is discussed and 3- previous comments by the user.

I dunno though.

Playing the game professionally or even at an amatuer level doesn't mean you have more knowledge either.

Pele for example is arguably the greatest footballer ever and he is known to be a bit of a slaverer.

Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger are two of the best managers in the world.

Similarly- I've often thought that somebody who has spent years watching numerous games with a overall outsider viewpoint may actually have a better grasp of the overall game than say the right back whose just doing exactly what his manager has told him to do.

With regards to one office monkey saying another office monkey doesn't know anything about football - I presume they are basing it on 1- the viewpoint being discussed, 2- the manner in which it is discussed and 3- previous comments by the user.

Yeah reading it back I should have said involved in the game professionally rather than played professionally.

I just find an amateur telling an amateur (or in some cases on here someone that doesn't play whatsoever) they know nothing about football astoundingly arrogant and ridiculous.

If someone suggested I take a paracetamol for a sore head and I disagreed I wouldn't come out with 'you know NOTHING about medicine!'

:muggy:

It's for people who can't form a counter argument for the point you have put across.

It works for everything, not just football.

'Well you know nothing about xxxxx so there is no point in discussing it'

Just makes people sound a bit thick.

I know plenty about some aspects of football. I know nothing about others. I expect most people are the same. Simply firing stats at someone isn't really an argument either

fabienleclerq

I used this phrase on another thread(might've led to this one!) im not arrogant at all, the statement to which it was aimed at was "gerrards not that good".

Considering what he has acheived is a ridiculous thing to say IMO.

I don`t think you need to have played top level to understand the game. The fundamentals are the same throughout the levels.

Alot of us have played(whatever level), watched, listened to others, taken advice from coaches/listened to coaches, etc etc.....

Seeing, thinking and forming a view is different from actually being able to perform at the top level. Do you think every pro is an expert on the game? Ye just have to listen to some of the erses on the radio who are now pundits.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

How about the poeple who watch Sky Sports, picking up useless shite like how many yards on average Luis Suarez runs in he first half of all games vs Bolton that are on a Sunday lunchtime on a mild winters day in January. After that they think of themselves as some sort of Jeff Stelling statto pub quiz god.

Actually just the way Sky Sports generally go waaay too in depth. I don't care exactly how many passes van Persie completed vs Sunderland, who the hell sits there for 90mins and counts that stuff?

I actually find that sort of stuff pretty interesting. Maybe that's just me though..

Tbh I find people use this statement when they are fighting a losing battle with any poster, they can't argue their point any further so bring out this classic line to use. The number of times I read "WE MUST PLAY 4-4-2!!!!!" on here astounds me too.

I will bow down at the feet of whichever footballing god tells me how to stop every single fm team I pick from hating me.

I've never been told that i know nothing about football.

:jbsmug:

That means all the roasters agree with you...

::troll:::'>

Guest Prince William

Definitely just a line used by they geriatrics you see at Tynecastle who sit in the stands barking orders at the manager about player selection/formations/tactics. Total morons thinking they themselves should be in the dugout cause they're wearing one of they errea training jackets. The big ones that go all the way to the knees. Classic

Is it not just generally how people are in every day life that reflects how they react to football. Some guys go to the game and never say a word which does not mean they don't have opinions and who is to say if they are right or wrong if they dont voice them.

You get the glass half full or half empty scenario but again who is right and who is wrong.

In the end no matter what we all say will have no bearing in the team the Manager picks because ultimately it is his neck on the line not ours when the results dont stack up.

When you think about it the Manager should be best palced to decide on what the team is because he is or should be working with the players every day and he will know who has the right attitude, fitness etc to decide who plays.

These forums are just a means to have your say and nobody really has the right to say otherwise we are all right in our own eyes.

Creepy Lurker

Is football the one with the ostriches?

Oh wait, that's cricket. Which one's football again?

To be fair there are quite a few on here and other forums to be fair, who obviously know nothing about football, it's clear most of there reasoning is straight out of sky sports and football manager games.

...Arsene Wenger are two of the best managers in the world.

:what:

You know nothing about football.

::troll:::'>

ArcticJambo

To be fair there are quite a few on here and other forums to be fair, who obviously know nothing about football, it's clear most of there reasoning is straight out of sky sports and football manager games.

This is quite true ... though it's not that they don't 'know nothing' but it's fairly obvious that they don't understand the finer points, or haven't really been involved in playing to any degree otherwise they would recognise what was and wasn't possible.

For instance, if you have been watching for long enough you'll recognise probably 6-7 times out of ten whether a cross (or a shot) will have a high percentage chance of being turned it (or hitting the target) the moment the ball comes off the foot. It's something you get better at ... if you're into that sort of thing. Unfortunately there are very few on the telly these days that give you any new insight into the game. When they do it is truly refreshing.

It gives you the opp to be the first to celebrate and impress those around you, or indeed make a total k nob of yersel ... braw. :thumbsup:

There really are some people on here who don't know much about football.

everything I know about football I learnt from JKB :thumbsup:

and every day there is always something new. :)

One of the most insightful viewers of football I ever met was a bloke who had barely kicked a ball in his life, and when he tried to do that, he was gash.

Sit him in front of a TV though and he'd tell you what was going to happen a good five seconds before it did. "aye, he's goonae peel off and batter it into the bottom right". Rarely wrong.

Some of the people I played football with are amongst the worst analysts I have ever seen. They could play right back to an extent, put in a tackle, play an easy pass and even dribble a bit. However, every word they utter on the matter of football is utter drivel.

Some people just dont have a footballing brain. I play at work and some of the people that play just can not grasp the general rules of mark one man the balls not a magnet. It does not matter how many times they play/get told they just dont seem to understand the basics of football, yet they watch it every week one even goes to watch liverpool.

It's for people who can't form a counter argument for the point you have put across.

totaly agree with this post, I think people use the i will bet you a weeks wages type posture as well for the same reasons, ' can't win the debate so i will turn it into a p!ssing contest'

hmfc_liam06

It certainly does work for everything. After a gig withy bro in law and his mate I proclaimed that the band we had seen were a bit tam kite, to which his mate replied - "how can you say that when you haven't written a song yourself".

Astonishing!

Dr. Bapswent

Its a football forum.

Vlad-Stupid

Not as daft as folk on here that think they know tactics and formations better than professional managers.

There's a few ex-pro's on this board who get slaughtered for their opinions on the game, by certain "greatest fans" - not saying every ex-pro knows the game inside out but they understand what goes on in the dressing rooms, how managers go about setting up teams, the mind set of the squad in certain situations and generally why players are selected and what they should be doing.

End of the day football is about opinions, whether you are a pro or an armchair supporter people see things differently.

Creepy Lurker

If we weren't allowed to question the views / opinions of managers and players or ex-players, this board would be a pretty boring place.

'We lost 9-0 again, but obviously I can't question our tactics on this one. PS is a manager, so he knows best.'

'Andy Walker just slaughtered us in the press again. Oh well, he's the ex-player.'

'I didn't enjoy that meal I went for, but I won't say anything against it as I'm not a professional chef.'

Ryan Jarman

So how do I get suso to love me on fm?

Find the cure for waiter's elbow.

Charlie-Brown

There really are some people on here who don't know much about football.

yes you are one of them. :D

AllyjamboDerbyshire

There are lots of people know nothing about football but will have an oppinion. They usually start with 'football players are paid too much money and that is what is wrong with the game'. Mind you, maybe they are right, just think of our results when the players weren't getting paid compared to now :whistling:

Richard Luffnan

get the ball up the park !! ball booted out of play to be received by wild applause

now thats the "you know nothing about football" lot which unfortunately is a lot of

our support.

Jambosr1985

Some of the kbers whom watch our under 19s etc. otherwise Gary Glen and Andy Driver would be superstars by now ie not toiling to get a game for a poor Hearts team.

Dr. Bapswent

From the looks of the people who sit around me an scream abuse at the players on the pitch, most haven't done anything physical since the last buttered their chip rolls and find dressing themselves a challenge.

But most will never be happy. Hoofball was never a fans favorite, and now possession play across the back is getting boo's. Ironically, encouraging a hoof up the park.

Armchair critics are never wrong. Even the fat, ignorant repulsive ones.

Some of the kbers whom watch our under 19s etc. otherwise Gary Glen and Andy Driver would be superstars by now ie not toiling to get a game for a poor Hearts team.

:sob:

Creepy Lurker

Armchair critics are never wrong. Even the fat, ignorant repulsive ones.

Out of interest, would you consider the same to be true in other areas of life? Posters on internet forums whose raison d'?tre seems to be to make snidey comments, for example?

mahgrassyshoes

yes you are one of them. :D

Heard he's gid at bumping a bus though! :lol:

Nookie Bear

Out of interest, would you consider the same to be true in other areas of life? Posters on internet forums whose raison d'?tre seems to be to make snidey comments, for example?

:lol:

(naming no names, of course)

shaun.lawson

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ray Winstone

:pleasing:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

:laugh:

Archived