Maybury etc

JamboAl

Some punters on here were touting us to go for Maybury. McCormack. Hughes,Nicholson,Miller etc. Looking at recent games I doubt if any of these would add value to our team. In fact, AND BASED ONLY ON GAME, I reckon Sean O'Connor would be a better signing. Views?

Out of those you mention i would take McCormack and Nicholson. Both of those players would add quality to our team IMO.

Patrick Bateman
Some punters on here were touting us to go for Maybury. McCormack. Hughes,Nicholson,Miller etc. Looking at recent games I doubt if any of these would add value to our team. In fact, AND BASED ONLY ON GAME, I reckon Sean O'Connor would be a better signing. Views?

Absolute drivel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_O%27Connor_%28footballer%29 Fantastic record eh? Seriously, get a grip.

McCormack, despite being off the boil, is better than any forward we have at the club. He has a lot of potential and I'd be delighted if he and McGhee were involved with Hearts next season.

McCormack is decent but, according a Rangers fan I know, has a problem with his weight. Puts is it on when he's not in the 1st team which hinders him when he gets back in. This was an issue at Rangers, apparantly.

Absolute drivel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_O%27Connor_%28footballer%29 Fantastic record eh? Seriously, get a grip.

McCormack, despite being off the boil, is better than any forward we have at the club. He has a lot of potential and I'd be delighted if he and McGhee were involved with Hearts next season.

Is this your bad week or something?

I have only seen him in one game so don't want to go overboard.

I would not be delighted if either McGhee or McCormack were involved with HMFC next season. We have many players off the boil. We need players with consistency at a good level. McGhee is a seven day wonder with no track rcord to speak of!

Hearts are pish, deal with it.

Maybury, McCormack, Hughes, Nicholson, Miller, etc woud ALL improve Hearts at the moment.

No question!!!

rudi must stay

Maybury, McCormack, Hughes, Nicholson, Miller, etc woud ALL improve Hearts at the moment.

No question!!!

McCormack probably would, we are missing creative players. The rest though are average players who play for average SPL teams. Don't really think they'd improve us

Cut The Crap

They are top-six players, which is more than we have right now. "Average" would be a step up. ;)

No question!!!

Maybury has been shocking in nearly every game he has played for Aberedeen.Oh and Leciester before that.Just don't get the deal with the guy.

Stewart MacD
Maybury has been shocking in nearly every game he has played for Aberedeen.Oh and Leciester before that.Just don't get the deal with the guy.

But not with Hearts. He should be welcomed back to Tynie.

So you would take a player that has been rubbish for the last 3 years just because he used to play for Hearts.

MOM at Parkhead in the SC replay...or does that not count? :rolleyes:

So why not ask John Robertson back as well?

Maybury is no better than Robbie. Hughes/Nicholson are no better than Palazuelos/Stewart. Miller/McCormack would find it difficult NOT to be better than what we have up front but I'd hope we could get better still.

MOM at Parkhead in the SC replay...or does that not count? :rolleyes:

Yeah i said nearly every game.I knew someone would highlight that game i was just wondering when.Played a blinder on Saturday against first division opposition eh.

They are top-six players, which is more than we have right now. "Average" would be a step up. ;)

Hard to argue against your logic CTC.

Which is probably why your post has been ignored by everyone else. ;)

embrauntied

Any of the players mentioned, possible transfers or current squad, would only be better than now if they were being managed by the right manager. That needs to be the number 1 priority

As said already, most of those are average SPL players - which is better than we've got at the moment. I'd be happy to see us get rid of the underperforming big earners and start rebuilding with players like the ones mentioned.

As said already, most of those are average SPL players - which is better than we've got at the moment. I'd be happy to see us get rid of the underperforming big earners and start rebuilding with players like the ones mentioned.

If that's the case, imagine we were able to sign them for Saturday, what team would you put out and who would you punt?

McCormack probably would, we are missing creative players. The rest though are average players who play for average SPL teams. Don't really think they'd improve us

We are a BELOW average SPL team with BELOW average SFL players (minus about 6 players).

If we had all those players from Jan, imo, we'd defo be in the top 6!

If that's the case, imagine we were able to sign them for Saturday, what team would you put out and who would you punt?

Just naming those five players that you have, the team would look like this (assuming no injuries) :

Banks

Wallace

Berra

Karipidis

Maybury

Driver

Nicholson

Jonsson

Mikoliunas

McCormack

Miller

As I said, that's assuming no injuries before anyone picks me up on Driver and Banks (?). I'd punt the players that aren't justifying their wages - that'd include Kingston, although he's undoubtedly more talented than any of the players named in that team.

Edit : No Hughes because I actually wouldn't take him.

tommythejambo

Maybury is better than Neilson.

McCormack is better than Elliot.

Hughes is better than Stewart.

Nicholson is better than Jonsson.

Miller is better than Nade.

They would improve our team greatly.

Yeah i said nearly every game.I knew someone would highlight that game i was just wondering when.Played a blinder on Saturday against first division opposition eh.

Yes Maybury was very Robbie-esque on Saturday. ;)

Just naming those five players that you have, the team would look like this (assuming no injuries) :

Banks

Wallace

Berra

Karipidis

Maybury

Driver

Nicholson

Jonsson

Mikoliunas

McCormack

Miller

As I said, that's assuming no injuries before anyone picks me up on Driver and Banks (?). I'd punt the players that aren't justifying their wages - that'd include Kingston, although he's undoubtedly more talented than any of the players named in that team.

Edit : No Hughes because I actually wouldn't take him.

Apart from the front two, I would have to disagree. You're effectively saying that Stewart and Palazuelos are our weak links in midfield and Maybury would improve the back four. I appreciate what you say re Kingston but dropping your most talented midfielder is going to improve things. Eh?

Re Miller and McCormack, they are undoubtedly better than we have but that's only because we have very little. We need to raise the bar and not sign average players - we'll finish up with an average team. Get rid of 10-15 players we are confident will not make it and replace them with 5 or 6 better class replacements, not characters who have done little in their careers. You did not exactly say who you would punt.

We are a BELOW average SPL team with BELOW average SFL players (minus about 6 players).

If we had all those players from Jan, imo, we'd defo be in the top 6!

Bit over the top, no?

Surely if we our players were below than average SFL players we would be a below average SFL team?

Bit over the top, no?

Surely if we our players were below than average SFL players we would be a below average SFL team?

Hmm,the average of 1 and 12 is 6 ,where are we?

Hmm,the average of 1 and 12 is 6 ,where are we?

What? :confused:

He said, and I repeated, SFL. As in Scottish Football League. NOT Scottish Premier League.

rudi must stay

don't agree. We have a top 6 team which is underperforming. The only way we can fix that is bringing in a good manager imo :cool:

don't agree. We have a top 6 team which is underperforming. The only way we can fix that is bringing in a good manager imo :cool:

Even that sounds depressing it makes us sound like Killie a few years ago scraping into the top 6 but of course we can't even manage that.

Apart from the front two, I would have to disagree. You're effectively saying that Stewart and Palazuelos are our weak links in midfield and Maybury would improve the back four. I appreciate what you say re Kingston but dropping your most talented midfielder is going to improve things. Eh?

Re Miller and McCormack, they are undoubtedly better than we have but that's only because we have very little. We need to raise the bar and not sign average players - we'll finish up with an average team. Get rid of 10-15 players we are confident will not make it and replace them with 5 or 6 better class replacements, not characters who have done little in their careers. You did not exactly say who you would punt.

In your original post, you asked who I'd punt - I'd assumed that by that you were asking who I'd get rid of completely (given that this was based on the premise of us being able to sign all five players by Saturday, I assumed that we could also sell players). Obviously for as long as Kingston's here and performing he's a first pick, but I'd get rid of him ASAP.

I do think that Maybury would improve the back four, albeit only because Neilson's so poor. As for Stewart and Palazuelos, I think that both of those players and Jonsson are very similar. Nicholson drives from midfield more, which is something that I think we're lacking. I put Jonsson ahead of Palazuelos, but I'd say that they're much of a muchness, whereas I don't think that Stewart's attitude's helpful.

I do agree that those players are average, but at the moment I'd settle for average. I'd obviously like to see us signing better (provided that we were spending within our means), which is why I said that they'd give us a solid base to build on - long term, they're not what we need.

As for who I'd punt, where do you want me to start? Basically everyone except for Banks, Berra, Driver, Jonsson and maybe Palazuelos if I had the choice - and I don't even particularly rate those five.

In your original post, you asked who I'd punt - I'd assumed that by that you were asking who I'd get rid of completely (given that this was based on the premise of us being able to sign all five players by Saturday, I assumed that we could also sell players). Obviously for as long as Kingston's here and performing he's a first pick, but I'd get rid of him ASAP.

I do think that Maybury would improve the back four, albeit only because Neilson's so poor. As for Stewart and Palazuelos, I think that both of those players and Jonsson are very similar. Nicholson drives from midfield more, which is something that I think we're lacking. I put Jonsson ahead of Palazuelos, but I'd say that they're much of a muchness, whereas I don't think that Stewart's attitude's helpful.

I do agree that those players are average, but at the moment I'd settle for average. I'd obviously like to see us signing better (provided that we were spending within our means), which is why I said that they'd give us a solid base to build on - long term, they're not what we need.

As for who I'd punt, where do you want me to start? Basically everyone except for Banks, Berra, Driver, Jonsson and maybe Palazuelos if I had the choice - and I don't even particularly rate those five.

I respect your view but cannot agree on Maybury who isn't even an average player. The midfield players mentioned are average which means in the middle - exactly where we are now. Put simply they are no better, or only marginally better, than we have IMO. We should be aiming higher and there will be players in Scotland, England and abroad at the end of their contracts who would cost nowt and the wages of 5 or 6 could be funded by moving on 10-15 of the no-users. It's a cull that's needed and we could go further by trimming the youth side of things (we must have about 10 youths out on loan). The club would then be able to breathe and provide a better through-road for our promising youngsters who at present are being stifled. Firm positive action is needed and that includes the appointment of a coach who has some tactical nous and drive.

craigweir88

I would take maybury back at hearts in a ...haertbeat...no pun intended... to get motm against bayern says sumthing about the quality of the player...he might be getting older but he is still a class player...

mould impriove the CURRENT squad...at least he playes with heart and passion

Some of these players are the kind of signings McDonald, Jordan, Levein and Jefferies made i.e. affordable Scottish talent (Fulton, Weir, Hamilton, McCann, Hartley, Wyness, Colquhoun, Frail, McKinlay, McPherson, Ferguson, Levein, Whittaker, McDonald, Black, Wales, MacFarlane, Cameron, Pressley, Webster) all players who helped us to 2nd or 3rd place finishes in the league and several cup finals. There were failures as well, particularly during the horrendous Clark and McLean seasons but in general it proved to be a very successful transfer tactic.

Anything is better than the current bunch of misfits, I doubt we have ever had a more disjointed bunch of wasters playing in Hearts jerseys in the clubs history.

JamboAl, I suggest you track down shaun.lawson's excellent summary of Mark McGhee's managerial career, he is much more than a seven day wonder, his record is very impressive.

inside right
I would take maybury back at hearts in a ...haertbeat...no pun intended... to get motm against bayern says sumthing about the quality of the player...he might be getting older but he is still a class player...

mould impriove the CURRENT squad...at least he playes with heart and passion

He might play with heart and passion but has no concentration and has been consitently bad since he signed for Aberdeen.

I totally agree with you, this Maybury love-in is a joke, he is pish, while I cannot believe that Neilson continues to play, that is another story. What I want next season is a right back with pace, ability to pass, I better stop there as neither of the above can do either.

Some of these players are the kind of signings McDonald, Jordan, Levein and Jefferies made i.e. affordable Scottish talent (Fulton, Weir, Hamilton, McCann, Hartley, Wyness, Colquhoun, Frail, McKinlay, McPherson, Ferguson, Levein, Whittaker, McDonald, Black, Wales, MacFarlane, Cameron, Pressley, Webster) all players who helped us to 2nd or 3rd place finishes in the league and several cup finals. There were failures as well, particularly during the horrendous Clark and McLean seasons but in general it proved to be a very successful transfer tactic.

Anything is better than the current bunch of misfits, I doubt we have ever had a more disjointed bunch of wasters playing in Hearts jerseys in the clubs history.

JamboAl, I suggest you track down shaun.lawson's excellent summary of Mark McGhee's managerial career, he is much more than a seven day wonder, his record is very impressive.[/QUOTE]

Well it's good that somebody could track down such a record because I have failed and so have the natives of Leicester, Wolverhampton and Brighton.

Some of these players are the kind of signings McDonald' date=' Jordan, Levein and Jefferies made i.e. affordable Scottish talent (Fulton, Weir, Hamilton, McCann, Hartley, Wyness, Colquhoun, Frail, McKinlay, McPherson, Ferguson, Levein, Whittaker, McDonald, Black, Wales, MacFarlane, Cameron, Pressley, Webster) all players who helped us to 2nd or 3rd place finishes in the league and several cup finals. There were failures as well, particularly during the horrendous Clark and McLean seasons but in general it proved to be a very successful transfer tactic.

[b']JamboAl, I suggest you track down shaun.lawson's excellent summary of Mark McGhee's managerial career, he is much more than a seven day wonder, his record is very impressive.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Well it's good that somebody could track down such a record because I have failed and so have the natives of Leicester, Wolverhampton and Brighton.

Just realised I shouldn't have mentioned a poster's name who hasn't posted on the thread, sorry Moderators! I'll try and summarise McGhee's managerial career.

Reading 1991-94 - achieves promotion to first division and going for promoton again when he left for Leicester

Leicester 1994-95 - relegated from Premiership and in hunt for promotion when he left under a cloud for Wolves.

Wolves 1995-98 - keeps Wolves in first division when they were in relegation trouble, loses play-offs next season, one FA cup semi-final, fails to get them promotion and is sacked

Millwall 2000-03 - wins division two title and takes them to first division play-offs in the next season, leaves club by mutual consent while they are in promotion hunt again

Brighton 2003-06 - wins promotion to Championship and thens keeps them up despite financial and stadium issues, relegated following season

Motherwell 2007-08 - takes Motherwell from relegation candidates to 3rd place in the league without changing much personnel. Generally agreed that he dealt with the O'Donnell tragedy well.

I take your point on Leicester and Wolves, I think he did better than could be expected at Brighton and did terrific jobs at Reading, Millwall and Motherwell so far. Just for the record, he is not my first choice for the Hearts job but I would be happy with his appointment, I really don't think we can reach much higher in our current predicament.

A proper manager with full autonomy along with good Scottish signings should get us back into Europe IMO.

Just realised I shouldn't have mentioned a poster's name who hasn't posted on the thread' date=' sorry Moderators! I'll try and summarise McGhee's managerial career.

Reading 1991-94 - achieves promotion to first division and going for promoton again when he left for Leicester

Leicester 1994-95 - relegated from Premiership and in hunt for promotion when he left under a cloud for Wolves.

Wolves 1995-98 - keeps Wolves in first division when they were in relegation trouble, loses play-offs next season, one FA cup semi-final, fails to get them promotion and is sacked

Millwall 2000-03 - wins division two title and takes them to first division play-offs in the next season, leaves club by mutual consent while they are in promotion hunt again

Brighton 2003-06 - wins promotion to Championship and thens keeps them up despite financial and stadium issues, relegated following season

Motherwell 2007-08 - takes Motherwell from relegation candidates to 3rd place in the league without changing much personnel. Generally agreed that he dealt with the O'Donnell tragedy well.

I take your point on Leicester and Wolves, I think he did better than could be expected at Brighton and did terrific jobs at Reading, Millwall and Motherwell so far. Just for the record, he is not my first choice for the Hearts job but I would be happy with his appointment, I really don't think we can reach much higher in our current predicament.

[b']A proper manager with full autonomy [/b]along with good Scottish signings should get us back into Europe IMO.

I wish someone could define for me what is a proper manager. Every other manager in the SPL is a proper manager, I suppose, and apart from Wally will (probably) win nothing. Is that what you want? As regards full autonomy, I doubt if any manager has that. There are constraints on every manager to varying degrees.

What I want is a winning team with a fair sprinkling of Scots (we are a Scottish team after all) but I could not care less if we have a manager. a committee or the owner calling the shots so long as it works.

Re McGhee that does sound like a right good managerial record - left. left under a cloud, sacked, left by mutual consent, sacked, before his M'well stint. Don't think so. With respect he's no better than JJ who I'd I'd rather have if only because he has the advantage of being a Hearts man.

Most of our players ARE top 6 players, the way the club is run just doesn't reflect this.

I wish someone could define for me what is a proper manager. Every other manager in the SPL is a proper manager, I suppose, and apart from Wally will (probably) win nothing. Is that what you want? As regards full autonomy, I doubt if any manager has that. There are constraints on every manager to varying degrees.

What I want is a winning team with a fair sprinkling of Scots (we are a Scottish team after all) but I could not care less if we have a manager. a committee or the owner calling the shots so long as it works.

Re McGhee that does sound like a right good managerial record - left. left under a cloud, sacked, left by mutual consent, sacked, before his M'well stint. Don't think so. With respect he's no better than JJ who I'd I'd rather have if only because he has the advantage of being a Hearts man.

This is puzzling. I assume from your posts that you've been around for a long time. That being so, seeing a winning team can hardly have been one of your main priorities in continuing to watch Hearts.

I am distressed at seeing Hearts in their current state; however it's not the losing that gets to me (I've seen plenty of that) but the deliberate sabotaging of our chances of winning when our resources suggest we should be doing so much better.

I'd settle for the players we have at our disposal being able to compete against the rest to the best of their ability under a set-up which was at worst competent and at best pretty good.

Sadly the current set-up is so far away from reaching basic competence that it's laughable. I think that's why you'll find so many of these dreadful hatkicking people expressing the outrageous demand for a "proper manager".

I wish someone could define for me what is a proper manager. Every other manager in the SPL is a proper manager' date=' I suppose, and apart from Wally will (probably) win nothing. Is that what you want? As regards full autonomy, I doubt if any manager has that. There are constraints on every manager to varying degrees.

Re McGhee that does sound like a right good managerial record - left. left under a cloud, sacked, left by mutual consent, sacked, before his M'well stint. Don't think so. With respect he's no better than JJ who I'd I'd rather have if only because he has the advantage of being a Hearts man.[/quote']

Winning things has never been a criteria of success at Hearts for me, on average the club has won one trophy every decade. Getting the best out of our players, improving and developing players, winning now and again and getting into Europe is good enough for me and the current management by committee or puppetry is NOT achieving this.

I am well aware that there will be some interference from board level at other football clubs, but I think it is very important for OUR football club that there is NO interference from board level as most Hearts fans I know (and it appears many players) are sick and tired of Romanov's influence on team selection. It has to stop now as far as I am concerned.

I disagree with you on who picks the team, on the football side of the club I want a figurehead, a respected individual, a proper manager if you will to be allowed to get on with doing his job. Who knows, it might just work, it certainly isn't working just now.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on McGhee, incidentally I would be OK with Jefferies as manager as he comes into the category I mentioned in my last paragraph. My favoured choice would be Levein, I think we'll get Frail.

Winning things has never been a criteria of success at Hearts for me' date=' on average the club has won one trophy every decade. Getting the best out of our players, improving and developing players, winning now and again and getting into Europe is good enough for me and the current management by committee or puppetry is NOT achieving this.

']I am well aware that there will be some interference from board level at other football clubs, but I think it is very important for OUR football club that there is NO interference from board level as most Hearts fans I know (and it appears many players) are sick and tired of Romanov's influence on team selection. It has to stop now as far as I am concerned.

No interference: you've got no chance. Are you telling me that if you won say ?50m on the lottery and put it into HMFC you'd give the manager carte blanche with no say on your part and no consultation?

I disagree with you on who picks the team, on the football side of the club I want a figurehead, a respected individual, a proper manager if you will to be allowed to get on with doing his job. Who knows, it might just work, it certainly isn't working just now.

On balance I would probably agree re your definition of a proper manager because that's what we in Scotland have been used to. That does not mean alternative systems can't work because either way it depends on the ability of the personnel involved. With hindsight, we haven't had the right people in the right jobs on the football side recently but they have not been helped by the ridiculously high number of players on our books and the relative lack of coaches eg the ratio of players to coaches will probably be the highest in Scotland which is great if we are bringing in a new manager as it affords him greater flexibility to appoint his own staff.[

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on McGhee, incidentally I would be OK with Jefferies as manager as he comes into the category I mentioned in my last paragraph. My favoured choice would be Levein, I think we'll get Frail.

If we do appoint a Scottish based manager I too hope it is Levein. I would also welcome JJ but more in a DoF type role with a young whippersnapper as his deputy.

Archived