Wallace Mercer Interview - 1988

Silvery_Moon

jack D and coke

Funny how the game's changed. Interesting comment from Sandy Clark saying we played four at the back and four across the middle to tighten the space??!! If only we played 4-4-2 at all anymore never mind away from home in europe.

Johanes de Silentio

Funny how the game's changed. Interesting comment from Sandy Clark saying we played four at the back and four across the middle to tighten the space??!! If only we played 4-4-2 at all anymore never mind away from home in europe.

Exactly what I thought.

Barney Rubble

I had to be in Edinburgh for some business re the club -- wonder what that turned out to be ? :whistling:

The prodigal son returns .

Watching that reminds me of how much I miss Mr Mercer, he was so media savvy and loved an interview and a press conference.

And he saved the club and brought back Robbo.

Sir, I salute you.

portobellojambo1

I'd forgotten how bad the surface was for the game in Mostar until watching that video. Was a good time, and a super trip, in the good old days when it was still Yugoslavia and cheap as chips (20 cigarettes were about 2p, a litre of brandy around 29p, vodka slightly dearer, and a three course meal was next to nothing, although the price could change 3 to 4 times depending on how long it took you to eat (such was the state of the Yugoslav dinar at that time)).

i wish jj was my dad

I remember watching that interview after partaking in my first ever session in a pub (I was 15) and the news was just breaking about Robbo coming back.

IIRC we beat Der Hun 2 nil on the following Saturday with Robbo and Tosh playing on the Saturday.

One of the better weeks to be a Jambo. :thumbsup:

I had to be in Edinburgh for some business re the club -- wonder what that turned out to be ? :whistling:

Tosh had just signed, Robbo was on his way back and we started the season without a sponsor, after getting to the quarter-finals we got a 6 month sponsorship deal with Novafone, the same strip was used the following season but the sponsor had changed to Thorn Security. ?350,000 spent on McKinlay, ?700,000 on Robbo and we beat Rangers that next game 2-0, if memory serves me right it was played on 10th December 1988, the same night my local was completely trashed because of massive brawls all over the place.

Billy the Jambo

Thanks for that video .Wallace Mercer the man who really saved Hearts and not romanov as most on here seem to think

Thanks for that video .Wallace Mercer the man who really saved Hearts and not romanov as most on here seem to think

Yup, but I distinctly remember there also being 'Mercer Out' protests too Billy.

Tosh had just signed, Robbo was on his way back and we started the season without a sponsor, after getting to the quarter-finals we got a 6 month sponsorship deal with Novafone, the same strip was used the following season but the sponsor had changed to Thorn Security. ?350,000 spent on McKinlay, ?700,000 on Robbo and we beat Rangers that next game 2-0, if memory serves me right it was played on 10th December 1988, the same night my local was completely trashed because of massive brawls all over the place.

Your memory serves you perfectly sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ula8a0fomFM&list=UU3KksHDAT7w_bbRJuhoXwew&index=34&feature=plcp

It's interesting how highly some fans think of the late Wallace Mercer

I remember how hated he was at the end of his reign. The abuse he got was not quite as bad the pieman, but still pretty fierce.

Admitting he was a Tory, & inviting the then Tory PM didn't help.

The notoriety he achieved with his 'plan' to obliterate Hibs somewhat clouds the other great work he did at Hearts. A real showman in an era the game began to take itself too seriously.

RIP Mr Mercer. You were one of us, & without you we'd be history.

Archived