Vlad's Single Biggest Mistake at Hearts - Your Thoughts

CostaJambo

I see what boomtown is saying but we would have tired of his Kaunas ways whether or not he had warned us about them.

IMO, his biggest mistake was underestimating the skill and experience required to run a football team. Completely ignoring the system that works well at many football clubs for a naive and ultimately unsuccessful route.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Again - it's only spot on if we assume Romanov is primarily motivated by on-field success. He may well not be - in which case, pretty much everything under his watch may actually be by design, not by accident.

He cannot be motivated by that because he has personally sabotaged any hopes of that since the day Burley left.

We can't p*ss around any longer with how we expect this man to behave, hoping he will come good. We are turning into a lot of gutless little *****.

He is poison for Hearts. Wake up.

jack D and coke
He cannot be motivated by that because he has personally sabotaged any hopes of that since the day Burley left.

We can't p*ss around any longer with how we expect this man to behave, hoping he will come good. We are turning into a lot of gutless little *****.

Totally is and how people can still believe that after all his lies that he's suddenly going to back off, appoint a 'top manager' and let him do away is f***** hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Hearts are being spectacularly badly run from top to bottom and will remain so until someone can free us from this absolute idiot of a man.

Heart of the Matter
Again - it's only spot on if we assume Romanov is primarily motivated by on-field success. He may well not be - in which case, pretty much everything under his watch may actually be by design, not by accident.

Shaun, your posts on this thread seem to present both possibilities - that

(a) Vlad has made a complete mess of it but his motives were and remain primarilycentred on football success; or

(B) He had ulterior motives that have little to do with winning the SPL and everything he has done, whilst bizarre to onlookers, is actually through design.

Just out of interest, which do you believe or feel is the case?

shaun.lawson
Shaun, your posts on this thread seem to present both possibilities - that

(a) Vlad has made a complete mess of it but his motives were and remain primarilycentred on football success; or

(B) He had ulterior motives that have little to do with winning the SPL and everything he has done, whilst bizarre to onlookers, is actually through design.

Just out of interest, which do you believe or feel is the case?

I do not know. I do not know. I have only my suspicions to go on as well - but if I had to nail my mast to the colours, (B) would be my call.

shaun.lawson

I woke up to that a long time ago, FWJ - and suspect you misinterpreted what I wrote?

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
I woke up to that a long time ago, FWJ - and suspect you misinterpreted what I wrote?

Hopefully I did and even more I hope you are not going soft...

I just want the Hearts support to find their balls.

No more money up front.

A forlorn hope, I know.

shaun.lawson
Hopefully I did and even more I hope you are not going soft...

I just want the Hearts support to find their balls.

No more money up front.

A forlorn hope, I know.

LOL! You're still misinterpreting it! Dear oh dear.

Dirk Diggler
Pretending he was going to invest in Hearts.

:confused:

We've spent more on fees and wages in the last 3 years than we did in the previous 20.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
LOL! You're still misinterpreting it! Dear oh dear.

PM me for Christ's sake. I'm lost.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
:confused:

We've spent more on fees and wages in the last 3 years than we did in the previous 20.

...culminating in a bottom 6 and ?36m in debt.

shaun.lawson
PM me for Christ's sake. I'm lost.

Yup, will do - I'll be with you in a bit.

BervieJambo

Appointing Rix was his biggest mistake. He was immediately unpopular with the fans and did such a poor job that Romanov couldn't trust anyone else to run the team. Hence the mess we're in now.

His biggest mistake wasn't sacking Burley.

It was, and still remains, not replacing him with a competent and fully in control Manager. A figurehead for the club and someone who can make every footballing decision, from transfer targets to team selection and tactical choice.

He needs to stop signing pish from Kaunas aswell, we're not a ****ing pub team.

Clarkserino
Appointing Rix was his biggest mistake. He was immediately unpopular with the fans and did such a poor job that Romanov couldn't trust anyone else to run the team. Hence the mess we're in now.

Unpopular with the fans - perhaps

Such a poor job - I disagree. The players had heaps of respect for him, and we were still winning games under him and performing consistently. It was going to be hard for any manager coming in after Burley to keep the players focused, but he managed it. At the time, I was gutted that we fell out of the title race, but I'd give anything to go back to March 2006 and hanging on to 2nd place as well as being in a cup semi. As good as Burley? Hell no, but far superior than Shaggy or any of the other clowns that have came in since.

Without doubt sacking Burley. Yes we may not have won the league that season but we would have had a far better chance with him in charge. Just to see us winning the league and breaking the Old Firm's superiority of Scottish football would of been a dream come true.

Heart of the Matter

I disagree with that BJ. Despite some of the names that were supposedly in the frame (Robson, Ranieri and the Italian guy who spoke no English), everyone was tryly gobsmacked when Romanov, out of the blue, appointed Rix - a guy with a criminal record for underage sex and who had reportedly been unsuccessful with his last 20 football-related job applications.

Rix was appointed solely because he would do whatever was demanded of him by Romanov in terms of team selection, players, tactics, recruitment. Rix was in a very weak position so he accepted the job on those terms. Burley was not prepared to bend the knee, whilst Rix's appointment meant that Romanov could indulge himself in all day-to-day matters.

So the appointment of Rix only looks like a mistake because the club's results waned after the great start of season 2005-06, when we now know that Rix had very little real say or influence because Vlad was pulling the strings. When results started to suffer and "serious" player unrest emerged, Romanov made Rix the scapegoat and he was emptied.

Rix seems like a mistake because his tenure coincided with the unravelling of everything that seemed good at Hearts earlier that season. Guilty by association I'd say and I bet he wishes he'd never crossed the path of the mad one.

Archived