Vlad's Single Biggest Mistake at Hearts - Your Thoughts

CostaJambo

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Very true Shaun, very true.

But I'd heard about Burley's drinking through a friend long before I ever did any work for Hearts.

Sorry to hijack the thread but when are you off to Ibiza FJ?

Been before?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my humble opinion vlads biggest mistake is not showing his face and actually admitting he has got it wrong.Only a man of integrity is capable of such a quality

Sorry to hijack the thread but when are you off to Ibiza FJ?

Been before?

Second week in June, going for the summer. Not sure when I'm coming back, depends on how much I enjoy myself. If I'm having the time of my life I'll stay right through to the end of September (still buying a season ticket) but if not I'll be back for August.

I have been before and had an amazing time. Meeting two friends over there who are heading off in early May, going to stay together. Really looking forward to it.

Second week in June, going for the summer. Not sure when I'm coming back, depends on how much I enjoy myself. If I'm having the time of my life I'll stay right through to the end of September (still buying a season ticket) but if not I'll be back for August.

I have been before and had an amazing time. Meeting two friends over there who are heading off in early May, going to stay together. Really looking forward to it.

Oh to be a student again. Gap years weren't an option when I went to college. Fill yer boots mate, you lucky, lucky man.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Have a look at the Holiday destination thread, this is for depressing chat only!

shaun.lawson
Where this theory falls down is that VR or UBIG could just as easily showcase players without making such financial losses / debt increases that have resulted - also if they only wanted to showcase Makela & Beslija etc why rarely play them? If they wanted to showcase FBK Kaunas players then why sign none in August 2005 or January 2006 when the team was at it's most recent peak and players would be attract higher prices as part of a winning team?

August 2005: I think it's obvious that Vlad wanted to reassure Hearts fans, and especially those major shareholders who had still to sell to him, of the level of his commitment to the club. And what better way of doing this than by bankrolling a number of players whose wages would normally be totally beyond our means? But the moment he gained full control, things changed.

In terms of January 2006, I haven't the foggiest idea. But I am absolutely convinced that our on-field success is not Romanov's number one priority, and that it sometimes even clashes with what are his priorities. Moreover, I wish it was possible to see a player-by-player breakdown of the wages that were paid: there's always been something very odd about the whole project, and it's worth pointing out that the more players there are on Hearts/Kaunas/UBIG's books, the more it would be possible to claim to be paying them a certain amount while actually forking out considerably less - especially if you factor in the aim of establishing a bank branch in the locality.

That's the problem with the whole pyramid system, and loaning players back and forth: the money stays within the Romanov empire, but accounting for it is actually all but impossible.

shaun.lawson
Very true Shaun, very true.

But I'd heard about Burley's drinking through a friend long before I ever did any work for Hearts.

I've no doubt that Burley does drink - I mean, whenever I hear him being interviewed, he always sounds like he's ****ed! But I do not believe it to be a problem: otherwise, how has he managed to secure managerial job after managerial job, and especially to end up leading his country? Don't you think the SFA would be desperate to steer away from anyone with possible skeletons in his closet? Which is precisely why due diligence was carried out, and Campbell Ogilvie, among others, spoken to during the process - and whaddayaknow, there was no case to answer.

All this stuff about George being an alchie goes back to the disgraceful, disengenuous nonsense used to justify his dismissal. Burley and Romanov's relationship was becoming increasingly strained for a variety of reasons - but when Phil Anderton innocently let slip at a board meeting that a player had mentioned smelling alcohol on the manager's breath at training one day, that he'd checked things out, and found there to be no problem, the Romanovs saw their opportunity to strike. By 'inviting' Burley to spend some time away at a treatment clinic in Lithuania, they knew they'd force his hand, and could claim breach of contract if he, entirely naturally, refused; and when he did refuse, they sacked him, hoping that this breach of contract would provide the opportunity to avoid paying him compensation.

All the above is documented in 'Believe!', and verified by not just George Foulkes, but Liutauras Varanavicius as well - and when Anderton was subsequently asked to sign documentation confirming this pile of nonsense was the reason Burley was dismissed, he rightly refused, and was sacked as well. It also suited the club beautifully to allow the rumours circulating Edinburgh about GB's so-called drinking to remain unchecked - but it certainly wasn't true. The man likes a drink, but is he an alcoholic? Never.

Charlie-Brown
August 2005: I think it's obvious that Vlad wanted to reassure Hearts fans, and especially those major shareholders who had still to sell to him, of the level of his commitment to the club. And what better way of doing this than by bankrolling a number of players whose wages would normally be totally beyond our means? But the moment he gained full control, things changed.

In terms of January 2006, I haven't the foggiest idea. But I am absolutely convinced that our on-field success is not Romanov's number one priority, and that it sometimes even clashes with what are his priorities. Moreover, I wish it was possible to see a player-by-player breakdown of the wages that were paid: there's always been something very odd about the whole project, and it's worth pointing out that the more players there are on Hearts/Kaunas/UBIG's books, the more it would be possible to claim to be paying them a certain amount while actually forking out considerably less - especially if you factor in the aim of establishing a bank branch in the locality.

That's the problem with the whole pyramid system, and loaning players back and forth: the money stays within the Romanov empire, but accounting for it is actually all but impossible.

Iam absolutely certain that Pinilla, Beslija, Makela, Pospisal, Brellier, Tall, Kingston & Goncalves have cost Hearts / Ubig a whole lot more than Kurskis, Kancelskis, Zaliukas, Pilibaitis, Ivaskevicius, Velicka, Klimek and Beniusis - indeed it is conceivable than those 9 Kaunas players earned less combined than 1 or 2 of the original list did themselves as individuals.

Not that it is efficient in anyway but having all the higher and lower earners mostly under one ultimate 'holding company' is that gains on one indvidual can be realised whilst the (potential) losses on others can be offset against taxation from profitable parts of the group - whilst Romanov's people might not equal Cruyff in their judgement of players i I don't doubt they ultimately find the best scenario to protect their best financial interets...

Charlie-Brown
I've no doubt that Burley does drink - I mean, whenever I hear him being interviewed, he always sounds like he's ****ed! But I do not believe it to be a problem: otherwise, how has he managed to secure managerial job after managerial job, and especially to end up leading his country? Don't you think the SFA would be desperate to steer away from anyone with possible skeletons in his closet? Which is precisely why due diligence was carried out, and Campbell Ogilvie, among others, spoken to during the process - and whaddayaknow, there was no case to answer.

All this stuff about George being an alchie goes back to the disgraceful, disengenuous nonsense used to justify his dismissal. Burley and Romanov's relationship was becoming increasingly strained for a variety of reasons - but when Phil Anderton innocently let slip at a board meeting that a player had mentioned smelling alcohol on the manager's breath at training one day, that he'd checked things out, and found there to be no problem, the Romanovs saw their opportunity to strike. By 'inviting' Burley to spend some time away at a treatment clinic in Lithuania, they knew they'd force his hand, and could claim breach of contract if he, entirely naturally, refused; and when he did refuse, they sacked him, hoping that this breach of contract would provide the opportunity not even to pay him compensation.

All the above is documented in 'Believe!', and verified by not just George Foulkes, but Liutauras Varanavicius as well - and when Anderton was subsequently asked to sign documentation confirming this pile of nonsense was the reason Burley was dismissed, he rightly refused, and was sacked as well. It also suited the club beautifully to allow the rumours circulating Edinburgh about GB's so-called drinking to remain unchecked - but it certainly wasn't true. The man likes a drink, but is he an alcoholic? Never.

Burley stated in an interview that he NEVER associated any of these allegations to Romanov or indeed anyone at Hearts however he did suspect / implicate / suggest Derby County DoF Murdo McKay of which there seemed to be a big personal issue between that pair?

shaun.lawson
Burley stated in an interview that he NEVER associated any of these allegations to Romanov or indeed anyone at Hearts however he did suspect / implicate / suggest Derby County DoF Murdo McKay of which there seemed to be a big personal issue between that pair?

Yes, very true. Mackay and Burley had a huge falling out near the end of 04/5, and Burley walked soon afterwards, with almost every Derby fan feeling that the wrong man had gone.

All this stuff about George being an alchie goes back to the disgraceful, disengenuous nonsense used to justify his dismissal. Burley and Romanov's relationship was becoming increasingly strained for a variety of reasons - but when Phil Anderton innocently let slip at a board meeting that a player had mentioned smelling alcohol on the manager's breath at training one day, that he'd checked things out, and found there to be no problem, the Romanovs saw their opportunity to strike. By 'inviting' Burley to spend some time away at a treatment clinic in Lithuania, they knew they'd force his hand, and could claim breach of contract if he, entirely naturally, refused; and when he did refuse, they sacked him, hoping that this breach of contract would provide the opportunity not even to pay him compensation.

Vladimir romanov has no integrity,he has no compassion either,he does however have control over all of us jambos and will do as he sees fit,depending which mood he is in,that much is obvious,hopefully next season will be better,it depends what mood vlad is in i suppose!

All this stuff about George being an alchie goes back to the disgraceful, disengenuous nonsense used to justify his dismissal. Burley and Romanov's relationship was becoming increasingly strained for a variety of reasons - but when Phil Anderton innocently let slip at a board meeting that a player had mentioned smelling alcohol on the manager's breath at training one day, that he'd checked things out, and found there to be no problem, the Romanovs saw their opportunity to strike. By 'inviting' Burley to spend some time away at a treatment clinic in Lithuania, they knew they'd force his hand, and could claim breach of contract if he, entirely naturally, refused; and when he did refuse, they sacked him, hoping that this breach of contract would provide the opportunity to avoid paying him compensation.

I'm not saying it was right to sack him. Of course it wasn't. Despite any personal problems he may have had, certainly at the time, he was not disgracing the club in any way so the reason to punt him was ludicrous.

I still believe the man to be, if not an alcoholic, then certainly as close to one as you can get. But that's just me taking what I've heard from more than one source and coming to my own personal conclusion. Maybe one day it'll all come out, maybe it will stay forever in doubt and maybe it'll turn out to be complete nonsense. I know what I've heard, and because of that I have my best idea of the issue for now.

Plus, I think it fits Scotland to have an alcoholic manager. Don't you? :P

I'm not saying it was right to sack him. Of course it wasn't. Despite any personal problems he may have had, certainly at the time, he was not disgracing the club in any way so the reason to punt him was ludicrous.

I still believe the man to be, if not an alcoholic, then certainly as close to one as you can get. But that's just me taking what I've heard from more than one source and coming to my own personal conclusion. Maybe one day it'll all come out, maybe it will stay forever in doubt and maybe it'll turn out to be complete nonsense. I know what I've heard, and because of that I have my best idea of the issue for now.

I dont think its to do with burley,more romanov!

shaun.lawson

LOL! I can see the headlines now...

"BURLEY SHAMES SCOTLAND!"

- Scotland manager George Burley was last night relieved of his duties after relieving himself in front of the watching world during his team's long awaited opening game of the World Cup. When asked to explain his behaviour by the BBC's Chick Young, Mr Burley babbled incoherently, and swayed from side to side, before beginning to loudly sing Flower of Scotland, and telling Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov to "gerrit right ****in' up yer!"

At a press conference, SFA Chief Executive Gordon Smith apologised to the country for the manager's behaviour; but when asked for his opinion on the issue, First Minister Alex Salmond said he felt the public should not rush to judgement, and that if anything, "it was an issue for the whole of Scottish society - not just Mr Burley". One can expect Mr Salmond's remarks to prove controversial: for when canvassing the massed ranks of the press, most were appalled, with ForresterJambo, newly appointed chief football writer of the Daily Record, spluttering that it was a "disgrace, and Mr Salmond should resign!", before returning to his tenth pint of the day.

The match, incidentally, was lost - 1-0 to Guatemala.

I dont think its to do with burley,more romanov!

Judging by the way he runs a football team. Romanov certainly appears to be more of a drunk.

LOL! I can see the headlines now...

"BURLEY SHAMES SCOTLAND!"

- Scotland manager George Burley was last night relieved of his duties after he relieved himself in front of the watching world during his team's long awaited opening game of the World Cup. When asked to explain his behaviour by the BBC's Chick Young, Mr Burley babbled incoherently, before beginning to loudly sing Flower of Scotland, and telling Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov to "gerrit right ****in' up yer!"

At a press conference, SFA Chief Executive Gordon Smith apologised to the country for the manager's behaviour; and when asked for his opinion on the issue, First Minister Alex Salmond said he felt the public should not rush to judgement, and that if anything, "it was an issue for the whole of Scottish society - not just Mr Burley". One can expect Mr Salmond's remarks to prove controversial: for when canvassing the massed ranks of the press, most were appalled, with ForresterJambo, newly appointed chief football writer of the Daily Record, spluttering that it was a "disgrace, and Mr Salmond should resign!", before returning to his tenth pint of the day.

The match, incidentally, was lost - 1-0 to Guatemala.

:rofl:

Daily Record? I think that's the worst insult I've ever had. And it would easily be my 12th pint of the night.

By the way, the man of the match would still be Barry Ferguson. Despite him having retired from international football the year before.

Committing such a big overspend on player contracts prior to stadium redevelopment being finalised or else not moving to murrayfield for the duration to capitalise on bigger demand / attendances to help balance the books after 2005-06 season & beyond.

That is the correct answer!

We paid a few players over ?10,000, now to balance that out we are paying players around ?3,000. If we hadn't splashed out that first season, we could have been paying wages of around ?6,500 to about 8 or so players and the rest of the 22-man squad would be getting ?2,500. That is ?4,524,000 per year.

I'm not quite sure but what was the wages we paid last year from the annual report published? It was about ?10M+ in 2005/06, if we hadn't have bought so many players for high wages that season, we'd possibly have 8 top class players just now like Ruben, Kingston, Pinilla and whoever else we wanted to buy. The rest of the squad could have been made up of the best Lithuanian/Kaunas talent, like Velicka, Mikoliunas etc. and the Hearts youth players. The club would be working right, which is the problem just now, we are not working properly financially as a club or on the field.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the start we had to that season and how privilaged I am to have seen the likes of Takis Fyssas, Rudi Skacel, Edgaras Jankauskas and the other great Hearts performers of that season, if we hadn't have had them, we would have probally only finished 3rd that season but on the other hand, we wouldn't have the same expectations, our players would be under less pressure and they would be able to develop their game as the weeks/months went by.

I don't blame the media for the club's fortunes. I blame Vlad.

Don't believe me if you want, that's up to you.

Its not you I don't believe FJ, I'm sure you BELIEVE, its the people that tell you this stuff I worry about.

Could be the same people that said absolutely disgusting things about why Pressley was given his jotters. Maybe they have another agenda???

I honestly believe Vlads biggest mistake was appointing a man who believes that the Old Firm will always be the biggest thing in Scottish football as his spokesman!!!!!

Toxteth O'Grady

Vlad's biggest mistake was

He didn't have a clue about running a football club but he thought he did.

I don't have to say anything more, it is that simple.

The thread seems to relate to his mistakes at hearts.

Take it back a notch and his biggest mistake was buying a Scottish football club.

Outcome would be the same.

Just a shame it was Hearts.

Vlad's biggest mistake was

He didn't have a clue about running a football club but he thought he did.

I don't have to say anything more, it is that simple.

Point could be proven if he gives Pinilla a new contract.;)

I would have to agree with JF.Not so sure though most of us would have accepted it though.I myself would but clearly a lot wouldn't.There again for all his faults and mistakes(there was many) i still like the guy.Couldn't say the same about the pieman.

King of the North
Letting Burley go IMO,coz till the day i die i will always wonder if we could have won the league

You know what I think? We would have - not just once either.

Vlad's biggest mistake by miles - we were absolutely untouchable until the bubble was burst on the morning of the dunfermline game.

What might have been??? we can only imagine.

And btw shame on anyone who tries to infer GB was an alky - that is taking blame shifting too far

Charlie-Brown

Burley or no Burley we would still be losing money without an increased capacity & bigger attendances to cover costs - ultimately that is what has dictated selling or releasing our best players and cutting costs.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Believing he understands football. That's the fundamental reason why "impediments" to his vision have been removed.

There have been a huge number of mistakes. These include:

- failure to instal a professional or dedicated financial management/proper Board with the abilities to take the club forward

- letting the cost structure get way out of control meaning that the club is a financial basket case

- failure to build the club through the right infrastructure - not necessarily bricks and mortar - but the right management, discipline etc which has riven the club with damaging situations

- linking the prospects for a renewed main stand with a speculative office and residential development in the wrong place at the wrong time in the property cycle

- failure to build bridges with the SFA, SPL, media etc - in fact the damaging war with those institutions compounded this mistake

- equipping the club with his acolytes at Board, managerial and player level - and removing all independent thinkers - reducing professionalism at all levels

- believing that dropping in players bought out of the Freemans catalogue to a dressing room is the right way to 1) win games 2) maximise those player's value

- embarassing the players brought in from Kaunas who are not equipped to play at SPL level

- in general treating the players like chattels

- the treatment of people who have been forced out of the club - the smear tactics etc

- the fact that showcasing players has been seen to be more important than winning the games - playing Kurskis, Beniusis etc

- allowing the acolyte managers to lie to the fans about why players have been left out of the team

- not having enough money to back up the pronouncements

But the biggest of all is not being honest with the fans.

portobellojambo1

From a footballing point of view his biggest mistake was failing to trust and support George Burley.

Success on the park would have brought with it the relevant financial awards (Celtic being the perfect example, within the space of 2 years relative success in the CL has enabled them to eliminate their debt), and would have maintained the interest of the fans. Instead we find ourselves in a situation where we are now proposing to increase the capacity of the stadium at a time when we are totally ineffective on the park, when many within that element of the support often referred to as the "hard core" are becoming disillusioned and attracting new bums will be so much more difficult.

With the right team, and right management already in place we could have been in a situation where bundles of extra cash was coming into the club, and a waiting list existed which would ensure the increased capacity main stand would be guaranteed full occupancy on completion.

scots civil war
Saving a club that has the most ungrateful, whinging support the world has ever seen:cool:

...................SURELY THE MOST DELUDED COMMENT IVE EVER READ ON KB

...................SURELY THE MOST DELUDED COMMENT IVE EVER READ ON KB

I doubt it you should read a few more of his posts. :P

The cruckie cookie

Getting rid of Burley.

The house of cards then came tumbling down.

Anderton, Foulkes, The Riccy 3, and look where we are now. If only someone had banged his head against a brick wall instead of pandering to him then we would have won the league in 2005. He alone has got us to where we are today, and he's got alot to make up.

He's made so many bad decisions but appointing Angel and forcing us to watch the worst football i've ever seen us play is high on my list

letsmakesomenoise
That's not as bad as a fecking smug Hibee barstard texting you when you wake up from a monumental hangover! :sad::sad:

Yeh, it was the barrage of Hibee texts that alerted me to it as well. Ignored the first, got concerned after the second and headed for the PC on the third.

Will always be one of those "I remember what I was doing the day that xxx ........" moments (building a pc table)

Hey Vlad. Naw! :evilno:

Heart of the Matter

Assuming that Romanov wanted to create a football club that could become a new force in Scottish football, genuine challengers for the league, playing entertaining football and sustaining this over more than one season, then his petulant sacking of Burley should be considered his most significant error of judgement. The sudden groundswell of optimism and confidence created by a winning run at the start of season 2005/06 was largely down to Burley's ability to motivate the players at his disposal and create amazing team spirit and belief. In hindsight, it was such a pity that Romanov couldn't, for whatever reason, live with success on Burley's terms or at least hold fire for the rest of the season.

Alternatively, if Romanov simply views Hearts as a personal DIY project, primarily a shop window for moving players on at a healthy profit, for promoting himself above anything to do with the club, for making a once proud institution a source of endless embarrassment and amusement, for dividing the support down the middle and raising levels of debt to alarming levels, then it's hard to see where he has made any mistakes.

Under this strange and oppressive regime, it's hard to know what constitutes success for Vlad. Seems to me that he has kind of lost interest in his DIY project in the same way that I do when trying to assemble a complicated piece of IKEA furniture without the right tools or know-how and without any reference to the instruction manual. If bashing the whole thing together doesn't work, I am totally scunnered.

Charlie-Brown
Assuming that Romanov wanted to create a football club that could become a new force in Scottish football, genuine challengers for the league, playing entertaining football and sustaining this over more than one season, then his petulant sacking of Burley should be considered his most significant error of judgement. The sudden groundswell of optimism and confidence created by a winning run at the start of season 2005/06 was largely down to Burley's ability to motivate the players at his disposal and create amazing team spirit and belief. In hindsight, it was such a pity that Romanov couldn't, for whatever reason, live with success on Burley's terms or at least hold fire for the rest of the season.

Alternatively, if Romanov simply views Hearts as a personal DIY project, primarily a shop window for moving players on at a healthy profit, for promoting himself above anything to do with the club, for making a once proud institution a source of endless embarrassment and amusement, for dividing the support down the middle and raising levels of debt to alarming levels, then it's hard to see where he has made any mistakes.

Under this strange and oppressive regime, it's hard to know what constitutes success for Vlad. Seems to me that he has kind of lost interest in his DIY project in the same way that I do when trying to assemble a complicated piece of IKEA furniture without the right tools or know-how and without any reference to the instruction manual. If bashing the whole thing together doesn't work, I am totally scunnered.

Nevermind that - what does Ben think? :rolleyes:

maroonedinoz

His biggest mistake was in thinking that it was going to be so simple and all fall into place.

I have no doubt that he DID think.."all I have to do is finish above two teams to win the chamionship"..but he didn't realise how difficult it was.

Threw lotsof dosh in the first two seasons at it..didn't work.......now left in a hard place with no effective plan 'B"

Now we suffer for the failed gamble (huge debt), with him (I think) unsure of what to do next.

A post on another thread got me thinking that this deserves some debate as I disagreed with the poster's opinion.

I reckon Vlad's biggest mistake so far was to allow Burley to leave and think he could obtain similar results while still having significant input in team/squad selection. In 30 years of following Hearts only the Dad's Army team of Alex McDonald in the mid-eighties comes close in terms of the style of play and results obtained.

I heard once on Radio 5 live that Vlad had met Roman Abrahamovich who asked him why he invested in Hearts. Vlad's reply was reputedly that he only had 2 teams to beat to get into the Champions League. If this is correct then it makes his decision to allow Burley to leave even more bewildering given our form at the time.

Pretending he was going to invest in Hearts.

Vlad simply didn't do his homework before taking over at Hearts. He spent a lot of money on Burley, Anderton and some geniuinely class players. He seen the results Burley was getting and thought, "Hold on a minute, this is easy. I'll get rid of the manager and me and my mate will do it and a fraction of the price. Sorted." All IMO.

On Burley and Anderton's sackings, I was told Anderton had spent his annual budget 3 months in to the year. Burley was constantly being asked by people at the club to move to Edinburgh to show his commitment to Hearts. Vlad didn't take too kind to this and tried to force Burley's hand to make the move. The drink was the final straw and a ploy to allow Hearts to sack him with a valid reason.

jack D and coke
Agree with this. Although, it must be said, Vlad is entirely to blame for the heightened expectations of the fans. That's why comments like the one above about ungrateful fans is just ludicrous. Vlad himself was the one who talked up his plans for success. As far as I recall not one single fan put any pressure on him - we were just quite happy to have somebody halt the sale of the ground. He, and only he, talked of big-name signings, league success, European glory, money no object etc.

Exactly. The only reason we whinge is because romanov is a lying pr*ck who cant help sticking his nose into matters he clearly knows jack sh*t about. The sooner he f**** off the better imo.

Heart of the Matter
Vlad simply didn't do his homework before taking over at Hearts. He spent a lot of money on Burley, Anderton and some geniuinely class players. He seen the results Burley was getting and thought, "Hold on a minute, this is easy. I'll get rid of the manager and me and my mate will do it and a fraction of the price. Sorted." All IMO.

On Burley and Anderton's sackings, I was told Anderton had spent his annual budget 3 months in to the year. Burley was constantly being asked by people at the club to move to Edinburgh to show his commitment to Hearts. Vlad didn't take too kind to this and tried to force Burley's hand to make the move. The drink was the final straw and a ploy to allow Hearts to sack him with a valid reason.

Doing your homework doesn't necessarily mean you are going to pass the test. You have to know what you are doing and make the right judgement calls on the day and that is where Vlad falls down big time. His quirky and maverick style of pseudo ownership/leadership just masks the fact that he doesn't have what it takes to achieve sustained success at Hearts by inspiring and leading the club and empowering his management team.

I don't agree with your point about the sacking of GB. Burley got in the way of whatever Vlad was trying to do and the drinking rumour was just a red herring IMO. If Romanov truly craved success in the SPL, why sack the man who was making Hearts feared by every team in Scotland during the Autumn of 2005? Assuming for a moment that Burley did drink excessively, what would be the reason for sacking him? Lack of success on the Saturday afternoons? Clearly not. Poor relationships with players? No again. Moral reasons? Perhaps, but unlikely.

The most plausible reason I have heard was that Burley simply refused to accept Romanov's interference in team selection (particulary in relation Miko) and the whole thing came to a head after the 1-1 draw at Celtic.

Remember also that for many months Romanov denied any role in selecting the team. Even after the row over dropping Wesbster before the Dundee United game in February 2006, Charlie Mann was interviewed on BBC radio about Rix's claim that the non-selection of Webster was Romanov's decision and CM strongly denied that Romanov had any direct influence on team selection. Only after the Aberdeen game at the end of season 2005-06 did Romanov finally admit to having involvement in picking the team, which meant that he had lied to the Hearts support for much of that season. Eventually Vlad admitted to selecting five or six of the team to play each Saturday. Personally, I believe that for much of last season he picked the whole team and made decisions about tactics and substitutions. Why would that be difficult to believe?

Maybe Vlad's biggest mistake was simply not telling us what he was going to do when he took over Hearts. If he had said on Day 1 "I am going to build up a huge squad of players whom I rate personally and selected from my extensive dossiers; I am going to say who plays week in, week out, squad rotation will be the basis for my team decisions; I will seek to acquire players primarily to sell them for profit, not to create a successful team; I will fund all of this through debt, not equity and anyone who is more popular than me gets emptied."

If Romanov had been up front with us from the off, then nobody could turn round now and criticise him for failing to deliver what he had promised.

Doing your homework doesn't necessarily mean you are going to pass the test. You have to know what you are doing and make the right judgement calls on the day and that is where Vlad falls down big time. His quirky and maverick style of pseudo ownership/leadership just masks the fact that he doesn't have what it takes to achieve sustained success at Hearts by inspiring and leading the club and empowering his management team.

I don't agree with your point about the sacking of GB. Burley got in the way of whatever Vlad was trying to do and the drinking rumour was just a red herring IMO. If Romanov truly craved success in the SPL, why sack the man who was making Hearts feared by every team in Scotland during the Autumn of 2005? Assuming for a moment that Burley did drink excessively, what would be the reason for sacking him? Lack of success on the Saturday afternoons? Clearly not. Poor relationships with players? No again. Moral reasons? Perhaps, but unlikely.

The most plausible reason I have heard was that Burley simply refused to accept Romanov's interference in team selection (particulary in relation Miko) and the whole thing came to a head after the 1-1 draw at Celtic.

Remember also that for many months Romanov denied any role in selecting the team. Even after the row over dropping Wesbster before the Dundee United game in February 2006, Charlie Mann was interviewed on BBC radio about Rix's claim that the non-selection of Webster was Romanov's decision and CM strongly denied that Romanov had any direct influence on team selection. Only after the Aberdeen game at the end of season 2005-06 did Romanov finally admit to having involvement in picking the team, which meant that he had lied to the Hearts support for much of that season. Eventually Vlad admitted to selecting five or six of the team to play each Saturday. Personally, I believe that for much of last season he picked the whole team and made decisions about tactics and substitutions. Why would that be difficult to believe?

Maybe Vlad's biggest mistake was simply not telling us what he was going to do when he took over Hearts. If he had said on Day 1 "I am going to build up a huge squad of players whom I rate personally and selected from my extensive dossiers; I am going to say who plays week in, week out, squad rotation will be the basis for my team decisions; I will seek to acquire players primarily to sell them for profit, not to create a successful team; I will fund all of this through debt, not equity and anyone who is more popular than me gets emptied."

If Romanov had been up front with us from the off, then nobody could turn round now and criticise him for failing to deliver what he had promised.

All fair points.

The paragraph in bold - Do you really think Vlad would have got his feet under the table if he'd come out and said that? He'd have been slated in the media, then slated by the majority of Hearts fans. He would have had to come out and said that once he had the majority control of the club. Then we could have done nothing about it, but we'd know where we are going.

Depressing all the same.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
All fair points.

The paragraph in bold - Do you really think Vlad would have got his feet under the table if he'd come out and said that? He'd have been slated in the media, then slated by the majority of Hearts fans. He would have had to come out and said that once he had the majority control of the club. Then we could have done nothing about it, but we'd know where we are going.

Depressing all the same.

And even if he had come out and said this, the support would have done nothing because what could they do?

It might have saved a lot of arguing between those who defended him and those against his style.

He fecked up big time. I still laugh when people say we had success to early.

Supporters of other clubs will fall about when they hear that. And quite rightly.

Heart of the Matter
Do you really think Vlad would have got his feet under the table if he'd come out and said that?

No, I don't JS. But what we have is an owner/leader who is the main barrier to future success.

Alex Ferguson always credited the Aberdeen Chairman Dick Donald as being the architect and inspiration of the fantastic success their club achieved during the 1980s. It shows what can be achieved by a Club outside the Old Firm when you have a leader with the passion, imagination and drive to create long term success and a talent for recruiting and empowering the people who can deliver it.

Sadly, our Club seems to have attracted an egocentric, trigger-happy megalomaniac who has turned Hearts into Romanov United and who appears to care little for the Club's history, its players, management staff and even its supporters, and who micro-manages from thousands of miles away in his Vilnuis living room.

The Real Maroonblood
No, I don't JS. But what we have is an owner/leader who is the main barrier to future success.

Alex Ferguson always credited the Aberdeen Chairman Dick Donald as being the architect and inspiration of the fantastic success their club achieved during the 1980s. It shows what can be achieved by a Club outside the Old Firm when you have a leader with the passion, imagination and drive to create long term success and a talent for recruiting and empowering the people who can deliver it.

Sadly, our Club seems to have attracted an egocentric, trigger-happy megalomaniac who has turned Hearts into Romanov United and who appears to care little for the Club's history, its players, management staff and even its supporters, and who micro-manages from thousands of miles away in his Vilnuis living room.

Good post.

Pity he takes great delight in pressing the self destruct button.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Totally spot on. All of it.

shaun.lawson
Totally spot on. All of it.

Again - it's only spot on if we assume Romanov is primarily motivated by on-field success. He may well not be - in which case, pretty much everything under his watch may actually be by design, not by accident.

Archived