BT Home Hub

jack D and coke

jack D and coke

Had BT on the phone yesterday trying to get me to go back to BT and offering me this Home Hub thing. 8mb Broadband, TV on demand, 200 free text messages, free local land line calls and up to 15 mobile numbers free for ?23 a month.

Anybody on here have it and is it any good?

chester copperpot
Had BT on the phone yesterday trying to get me to go back to BT and offering me this Home Hub thing. 8mb Broadband, TV on demand, 200 free text messages, free local land line calls and up to 15 mobile numbers free for ?23 a month.

Must admit mate, I've got it and its great. Haven't had any problems with them and its worked out cheaper for our calls, and the internet speed is great. Mind you I was with AOL beforehand. :confused:

I have got BT Home Hub.... and the Wireless is Brilliant... We were with Virgin before and it is 100% than that..... :)

Commander Harris

if nothing goes wrong you'll be fine, if it does your stuck with a long call to an Indian call centre with someone who can't understand what your trying to tell them!

decent service, not the best value for money IMO unless you plan on using all the extras they give you. also, depending where you live it's highly unlikely you'll get anything close to 8Meg. I'm pretty close to an exchange so I get decent speeds but I think the average would be about 3-4Meg and significantly less in some areas.

Also, I imagine this rate is for "option 2" which has a usage allowance (think it's about 8GB)- which is fine if all you're doing is surfing but if you download films etc or use file sharing software then you'll quickly eat that up.

personally, If I was in a cable area I would go that route.

jack D and coke
Must admit mate, I've got it and its great. Haven't had any problems with them and its worked out cheaper for our calls, and the internet speed is great. Mind you I was with AOL beforehand. :confused:

I'm with Talk Talk just now but i think thats AOL? They've been pretty good but this home hub is wireless as well isn't it? The TV on demand thing sounds alright though, that any good?:)

jack D and coke
if nothing goes wrong you'll be fine, if it does your stuck with a long call to an Indian call centre with someone who can't understand what your trying to tell them!

decent service, not the best value for money IMO unless you plan on using all the extras they give you. also, depending where you live it's highly unlikely you'll get anything close to 8Meg. I'm pretty close to an exchange so I get decent speeds but I think the average would be about 3-4Meg and significantly less in some areas.

personally, If I was in a cable area I would go that route.

The honest toon is cableless i'm afraid or i would definately go with that:sad:

chester copperpot
I'm with Talk Talk just now but i think thats AOL? They've been pretty good but this home hub is wireless as well isn't it? The TV on demand thing sounds alright though, that any good?:)

The hub is wireless mate, which means I can take my Laptop to various destinations in the house to get peace ;).

Dunno what this TV on demand thing is that you're talking about.

Commander Harris
The honest toon is cableless i'm afraid or i would definately go with that:sad:

I can't get cable and I'm bang in the middle of Edinburgh :(

jack D and coke
The hub is wireless mate, which means I can take my Laptop to various destinations in the house to get peace ;).

Dunno what this TV on demand thing is that you're talking about.

Sure the guy said if you miss any programmes you can download it later. Hate it sometimes when they try sell you sh*t, they bombard you with info, you can't take it all in. Anybody else know if thats right or what?

I had the BT Home Hub, the thing was ****e so I am still with BT Broadband but just switched back to my old router and the difference is alarming. BT Home Hub was a disaster for me.

I have have it and think it is really good.The wife loves the on demand stuff you get with Bt Vision and now i can watch the football downstairs on Sky while she can watch all her pish upstairs.

jack D and coke
I have have it and think it is really good.The wife loves the on demand stuff you get with Bt Vision and now i can watch the football downstairs on Sky while she can watch all her pish upstairs.

How does that work Brashy? Does it have to be connected to all your TV's or what? Do you need more than one box? What the crack? What about my XBOX LIVE? Do i need to get the wireless adaptor? I'm a bit of a techno Deakin it has to be said:confused:

The Tv on demand is really good.There are about 350-400 films on it alone and they add to it each month.You then have a choice of loads of tv from the Uk and US which is good if you have missed out on big shows.You also can watch any full EPL game on delay but you have to pay ?1.99 a match for it.It's like a full version of Skys football first.It's also like Sky+ as you can record and pause and rewind tv.

How does that work Brashy? Does it have to be connected to all your TV's or what? Do you need more than one box? What the crack? What about my XBOX LIVE? Do i need to get the wireless adaptor? I'm a bit of a techno Deakin it has to be said:confused:

I already have Sky+ so thats downstairs and i have the BT Vision in the bedroom upstairs.As for Xbox live there are two ethernet cables on the back of the BT Hub you need one for the internet unless your computer has a wireless card(mine does not) and another that you connect another ethernet cable into for your BT Vision on demand stuff,this only needs to be in when your using the on demand service so i just unplug it and put my 360 in that ethernet.But if you want your 360 wireless then yes you need the adapter.Your Bt Hub will then search for wireless stuff and find it easy.I have my PS3 and Wii running through the Hub wirelessly no problem.

Generally they are fine, sometimes they (well mine anyway) go through a day or 2 of instability where it randomly reboots or totally crashes which can be frustrating.

Xbox360 is fine once you setup the application sharing (there is a default for xbox live so it takes seconds).

jack D and coke
I already have Sky+ so thats downstairs and i have the BT Vision in the bedroom upstairs.As for Xbox live there are two ethernet cables on the back of the BT Hub you need one for the internet unless your computer has a wireless card(mine does not) and another that you connect another ethernet cable into for your BT Vision on demand stuff,this only needs to be in when your using the on demand service so i just unplug it and put my 360 in that ethernet.But if you want your 360 wireless then yes you need the adapter.Your Bt Hub will then search for wireless stuff and find it easy.I have my PS3 and Wii running through the Hub wirelessly no problem.

So if i set it up in my living room it won't work in the bedroom? Do i need another box if i'm doing that? Plus i've got an ethernet hub it would plug into that and i could use the computer and 360 from that? I'm confusing masel here:confused:

Sorry to be a pain in the star mate but they never tell you the whole story at the time and i'll end up getting it and it won't do what i want it to:mad:

So if i set it up in my living room it won't work in the bedroom? Do i need another box if i'm doing that? Plus i've got an ethernet hub it would plug into that and i could use the computer and 360 from that? I'm confusing masel here:confused:

Sorry to be a pain in the star mate but they never tell you the whole story at the time and i'll end up getting it and it won't do what i want it to:mad:

Your 360 and computer will work in exactly the same way it does at the moment only you will use the BT Hub to do it.

Your BT Vision can be played in any room but only in the one room.So if you have Sky put the Hub in the bedroom.

You get connecters that plug into the hub then a plug socket and they send like wireless signal to your Bt Vision box from the Hub.They say it is like ethernet without the need of a 50m cable.

It is all really easy to set up.The Hub basically does it all for you.

ps if you have a BT Vision box later on this year you will be able to use your 360 to play all your BT Vision content on your 360 as Microsoft have just signed a deal with BT to have their content play on the 360.It will be available in the summer.

jack D and coke
Your 360 and computer will work in exactly the same way it does at the moment only you will use the BT Hub to do it.

Your BT Vision can be played in any room but only in the one room.So if you have Sky put the Hub in the bedroom.

You get connecters that plug into the hub then a plug socket and they send like wireless signal to your Bt Vision box from the Hub.They say it is like ethernet without the need of a 50m cable.

It is all really easy to set up.The Hub basically does it all for you.

ps if you have a BT Vision box later on this year you will be able to use your 360 to play all your BT Vision content on your 360 as Microsoft have just signed a deal with BT to have their content play on the 360.It will be available in the summer.

Nice one mate cheers:thumb:

jack D and coke
Im with Sky. Cheaper than BT and much better customer service.

How much like? How can it be cheaper than BT? Surely with your TV package it will be more no?

Archived