Scooter Info

Fenerjambo

Hello there scooter buddies out there!!Well I'm absolutely naffed off with driving in this city :mad: and have decided that I want to get my hands on a scooter for geting back and forward to work and generally getting about. I want an engine bigger than a 50cc probably 100-125cc.Can't seem to get my hands on a good second hand one and have had a wee look at the Imported ones out at Edinburgh Motorcycle Imports out at Ratho.

Now some folk have told me that they are chinese bikes and you can't get parts but I've also heard that the parts are made by Honda and they (the warehouse in Ratho) supply them.They are a lot cheaper than brand new Peugoets,hondas,Yamahas etc, and there is a 12 month parts warranty.

Anybody got one of these machines or know somebody who has??

I ain't got a scooter but I have a wee 125 bike thats chinese.

Never had a spot of bother with it, gets me about 100mpg and easier for the traffic.

Sits at 70mph on the bypass as well so its all good.

Although thinking about doing my DAS soon and getting something a bit bigger.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Cotter's obviously been lucky. My mate has a bike workshop and he says these chinese/taiwanese scooters (theyre usually copies of older out of production bikes) are a nightmare. Small parts like a piston are easy to get but if you need anything major forget it. You've just bought yourself a disposable bike.

Search about and you'll get something decent second hand for the money you'd spend on one of the chinese copies. A bit of a spend now will pay dividends when you come to sell it as Honda/Yamaha/Gilera/Piaggio etc etc always have a better resale value and tend to keep more of their value than the cheap copy imports.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/advert+search/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146,N-117/search.action

Doctor FinnBarr
Cotter's obviously been lucky. My mate has a bike workshop and he says these chinese/taiwanese scooters (theyre usually copies of older out of production bikes) are a nightmare. Small parts like a piston are easy to get but if you need anything major forget it. You've just bought yourself a disposable bike.

Search about and you'll get something decent second hand for the money you'd spend on one of the chinese copies. A bit of a spend now will pay dividends when you come to sell it as Honda/Yamaha/Gilera/Piaggio etc etc always have a better resale value and tend to keep more of their value than the cheap copy imports.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/advert+search/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146,N-117/search.action

Ditto.;)

Nelly Terraces

Thinking of dipping into the NT coffers and getting a nifty classic 60's looking Vespa or Lambretta.

Any advice where to get such a retro cool item kids?

Thinking of dipping into the NT coffers and getting a nifty classic 60's looking Vespa or Lambretta.

I'm not a scooter expert, but a poster known as SS180 most definitely is. Suggest a PM may be in order as he'll defo be able to point you in the right direction.

Nelly Terraces
I'm not a scooter expert, but a poster known as SS180 most definitely is. Suggest a PM may be in order as he'll defo be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers Geezer. Appreciated.;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I used to have a look in this place when I lived in London

http://www.scooteremporium.com although I reckon Fleabay's your best bet for something closer to home

Their stuff tends to go for top dollar though, everybody in London wants them

My Spanish mate reckons you can get them in Spain and Italy for next to nowt

Italian Lambretta

How about one of these to drive about Edinburgh. It will get the ladies turning their heads during those nice summer days;)

special2.jpg

have decided that I want to get my hands on a scooter for geting back and forward to work and generally getting about. I want an engine bigger than a 50cc probably 100-125cc.

You know about the licences and tests that you need.

see here for details

portobellojambo1
How much are you wanting to pay? Gumtree is good for this kind of thing. Here's one for ?300.

http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/06/22493206.html[/quote

Thanks for that mate' date=I bought this one earlier on.5 year old and needs a little tidy up but it is really fast!!:eek:[/quote]

Could you not just have got the bloody train to work, or got it to pick you up at Edinburgh Park. And remember, it is a lot easier to fall off a bike than out a car.

Could you not just have got the bloody train to work' date=' or got it to pick you up at Edinburgh Park. And remember, it is a lot easier to fall off a bike than out a car.[/quote']

Hey you?! Remember I sometimes start at 0400hrs and sometimes finish at 0130hrs so I'm not going to hang about Edinburgh Park until 0616hrs in the morning after a backshift nor be 2 and a half hours late for my bloody work on earlies!!

Anyway,get to your bloody bed!!;)

Archived