Virgin Media - Sky Sports picture quality

Lt Chard VC

Any one else suffering with a lack of picture quality on Sky Sports (ordinary version not HD upgrade) with Virgin Media? It only happens during live matches, a sort of fuzziness not quite pixelation and some times freezing across middle of screen. Close ups are fine as is studio presentations, I have tried switching from HDMI connection to AV but its the same. There is nothing wrong with TV which is an HD 1080 LCD or V+ box and all connections are secure, also rebooting makes no difference. I dont have SS HD so wondering what Virgin are up to. Its not just happening to me in the Glenrothes area either, I was wondering if anyone from the edinburgh area was receiving such a poor service. Virgin has been a nightmare here for couple of months, no internet for couple of days and no phones for 4 days! It's virtually impossible to get a UK call centre as well! :verymad:

Is it not something to do with the Hz (Hertz rating) of your T.V? It's the response time the television takes to display pictures. The higher the Hz rating the better the response for faster viewing (like live football for instance).

My dad has a Sony Bravia 40" LCD 1080 T.v and while that sounds all very well and good, it's 3 years old now and has a poorer hertz rating so I think he sometimes sees this issue. It's not a huge problem, but there you go. He might get a new tele within a year.

Forgot to add, he's on Virgin V+ aswell, so it might not be what I said above there about the t.v and might be virgin after all.

How old is your t.v?

Any one else suffering with a lack of picture quality on Sky Sports (ordinary version not HD upgrade) with Virgin Media? It only happens during live matches, a sort of fuzziness not quite pixelation and some times freezing across middle of screen. Close ups are fine as is studio presentations, I have tried switching from HDMI connection to AV but its the same. There is nothing wrong with TV which is an HD 1080 LCD or V+ box and all connections are secure, also rebooting makes no difference. I dont have SS HD so wondering what Virgin are up to. Its not just happening to me in the Glenrothes area either, I was wondering if anyone from the edinburgh area was receiving such a poor service. Virgin has been a nightmare here for couple of months, no internet for couple of days and no phones for 4 days! It's virtually impossible to get a UK call centre as well! :verymad:

Yup, I've been experiencing that recently too.

Not all the time, but occassional freezing and the pixelation as you mention.

On the whole alright though.

I sometimes think it's the weather to blame......

I have the same problem, notably evident during live matches. It seemed to be worse than ever when i was watching the fulham v liverpool game the other night. It has nothing to do with the tv, it has to be something wrong with the service. I have not experienced a cut off of the phones / broadband as you have, but my broadband does slow down during the peak hours - its ******* annoying!

I've noticed this too back at my folks house (i'm there every sunday, so watch the games). A right pain, as it always seems to freeze at a crucial moment of the game! :down:

It's virtually impossible to get a UK call centre as well! :verymad:

Just phone Virgin at the Gyle Industrial Estate!

Just phone Virgin at the Gyle Industrial Estate!

If you've got a direct line, please share, otherwise its quite hard to get through.

As for the picture, I noticed the dodgy picture for the first time yesterday. No freezing of the picture, but certainly a bit of pixelation and at times, looked like it was a zoom in and zoom out. No issue with the close ups though.

If you've got a direct line, please share, otherwise its quite hard to get through.

Try 0131 477 5062

Dagger Is Back

I'm in Edinburgh and unhappy with pic quality too. Watched the Chelsea game last might and the pic was not clear at all. At first I thought the TV screen was dirty so cleaned that.

Switched to the Arsenal game and it was clearer but still not great.

It's not the TV which is 2 years old and has 600hz - picture quality is fine with DVDs etc.

Has to be the signal from Virgin. Their way of getting us all to switch to HD?

Or is it the signal Sky give to Virgin????

May also have something to do with it being an OB?

I thihnk it's more to do with Sky's feed than Virgin's output. But I have no technical knowledge or proof either way! Just a guess!

Try 0131 477 5062

And if that number gets used, will we get chased away saying use 150/151 through your phone?

That crossed my mind as well. I also wondered if it could be Sky playing silly buggers too.

that crossed my mind as well. I also wondered if it could be Sky playing silly buggers too.

As I said previously, probably more Sky than Virgin.

And if that number gets used, will we get chased away saying use 150/151 through your phone?

On the rare occasions I've had to call, no.

Try 0131 477 5062

Thanks will try this tomorrow since Alfred and Sean in Mumbai hasn't a clue what I'm on about :verymad:

On the rare occasions I've had to call, no.

Super stuff. I'll keep that safe next time I need to rant discuss with them my options.:)

I've also had this problem with Sky on Virgin. Picture quality on longshots are poor and when camera pans over pitch grass is pixelated then fine when static picture.

I had always thought it was Sky/Virgin's way of upselling everyone HD.

What is even more puzzling is although I do not have HD, when I watch the "Frozen Planet" or some other "quality" programme the picture quality is crystal clear. Never any pixelation on fast camera pans; doubt if HD could make the quality of this picture any better.

I think the public are being stitched up on this one.

Used to happen frequently when I was with Virgin. Setanta was especially bad for it - there were frequent glitches, often at the worst possible time.

Used to happen frequently when I was with Virgin. Setanta was especially bad for it - there were frequent glitches, often at the worst possible time.

That was just Setanta. I had the same problem with it when I had Sky.

Tried the 0131 477 5062 number today and although the girl who answered was very polite she said it was an admin building and could not (would not perhaps) transfer me. She said that I had to use the 150/151 numbers. She did have a degree of sympathy when I moaned about those useless muppets in Mumbai but "thats the system" she said :angry:

The fault only affects SS1 and 2 not 3 0r 4 funnily enough they dont do HD on 3 or 4.

Tried the 0131 477 5062 number today and although the girl who answered was very polite she said it was an admin building and could not (would not perhaps) transfer me. She said that I had to use the 150/151 numbers. She did have a degree of sympathy when I moaned about those useless muppets in Mumbai but "thats the system" she said :angry:

The fault only affects SS1 and 2 not 3 0r 4 funnily enough they dont do HD on 3 or 4.

Ah sorry dude, not had to call them for ages but they were always able to help in the past!

Phoned 150 a short time ago and actually got through to India within a couple of minutes, as advised by the Gyle lass yesterday I asked straight away to be transferred to a UK call centre I was then transferred a couple of times without speaking to anyone and I think I ended up back in India however the girl listened to my constructive criticism and spoke to her supervisor, she came back and said Virgin are aware of this issue and are trying to rectify it. It's national problem, not just Fife/Lothians/Tayside. I accepted the ?15 bribe, sorry compo, for this month only. I advised I would phone back in 4 weeks if no improvement. What a palaver :verymad:

Anyone else affected get on the phone pester them and demand a refund (or as I suggested to them, free SS HD) it's the only way they will get the matter sorted

Archived