19's v Dundee Utd

the geezer

Anybody attending the game tommorrow. Big game after beating celtic last weekend-must win game for what i belive is the last game before xmas/NY.

Anybody attending the game tommorrow. Big game after beating celtic last weekend-must win game for what i belive is the last game before xmas/NY.

The game is at St Andrew's unfortunately.The journey will stop a lot from making the game,Best of luck to the lads! :thumbsup:

Footballfirst

I'll be there as usual with a mad dash to get back to Tynecastle for 3pm. This is their last game before the winter break. The season will resume on 4th February.

It's probably worth noting at this time how well the U19s have performed in the last 9 months. The U19s play a 22 league game season. Over the last 22 games (8 games last season and 14 games from this season), Hearts have Won 20, Drawn none and Lost only 2, for a return of 60 points out of 66. As a comparison, Celtic won last season's U19 league with 54 points out of a possible 66. Included in those 22 games have been 4 wins out of 4 against Rangers, 2 wins out of 3 against Celtic and 2 wins out of 2 against Hibs.

It's to the enormous credit to the coaching staff and especially the playing squad themselves what they have achieved. At the end of last season they were without Denis Prychynenko, Aaron Murdoch, Ryan Stewart and Jamie Walker due to injury. This season they have been without Jamie Walker initially, Aaron Murdoch, Chris Tobin, and in the last couple games without arguably their best players in Jason Holt, Jamie Walker and David Smith who have gone out on loan.

I don't know if they will be able to sustain this form through to the end of the season, particularly without the three on loan, but all Hearts fans should be encouraged by their performances of late.

Fermit the Krog

Depending on work/kids/good fortune I hope to make it along for this before heading to Tynecastle.

Excellent post, Footballfirst.

I'll be there as usual with a mad dash to get back to Tynecastle for 3pm. This is their last game before the winter break. The season will resume on 4th February.

It's probably worth noting at this time how well the U19s have performed in the last 9 months. The U19s play a 22 league game season. Over the last 22 games (8 games last season and 14 games from this season), Hearts have Won 20, Drawn none and Lost only 2, for a return of 60 points out of 66. As a comparison, Celtic won last season's U19 league with 54 points out of a possible 66. Included in those 22 games have been 4 wins out of 4 against Rangers, 2 wins out of 3 against Celtic and 2 wins out of 2 against Hibs.

It's to the enormous credit to the coaching staff and especially the playing squad themselves what they have achieved. At the end of last season they were without Denis Prychynenko, Aaron Murdoch, Ryan Stewart and Jamie Walker due to injury. This season they have been without Jamie Walker initially, Aaron Murdoch, Chris Tobin, and in the last couple games without arguably their best players in Jason Holt, Jamie Walker and David Smith who have gone out on loan.

I don't know if they will be able to sustain this form through to the end of the season, particularly without the three on loan, but all Hearts fans should be encouraged by their performances of late.

Totally agree mate, once we get rid of 'The Mentalist' and hopefully any consortium that come in will appreciate what we have coming through..........solid gold thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif We have the best young players in Scotland, who Darren Murray should take praise for. We have a 1st team squad of some players that the RBS in the Goodwin days would have a got a red face about, get this madman bought out and pay wages that reflect our turnover and the rest will hopefully be managed as best we can and not by someone that thinks they are playing champ manager.

What a superb, informative post. Post of the week.

I truly hope you are able to enjoy a Hearts double and I doff my hat to you.

Nice post FF. It warms the Heart that through all the keech, we have been doing something right!

Have you ever had any feedback as to who will get their chance? And if so, when?

:jjyay:

Great stuff from the wee Hearts.

I'll take a Utd win.

:greggy:

Looks like your days not looking so hot.

:verysmug:

Hopefully your nippers will not be too upset to lead us out today :sob:

:pleasing:

Lineup?

never heard of Nicholson

Dunno the line-up & FF is going to Tynie (like myself) so won't report until after he's back

He mentioned Jack Hamilton had a few good saves in the first half

Nicholson is a 16yo winger who's stepped up in recent weeks & looks a top prospect

Footballfirst

Lineup

Hamilton

Stewart Paterson McGhee McHattie

B King Mullen Tapping McKay Nicholson

Carrick

Unsused subs Carswell, Saunderson, Thomson, Scott, A King, Oliver

Not the most fluent performance of the season, probably down to the central midfield having a defensive look about it. However, Hearts got off to a great start in the first minute when they worked space for Ryan Stewart on the right to cross to the back post where Nicholson sent a looping header back over the keeper's head to put Hearts one up..

The next 20 minutes was devoid of any goalmouth action, then both sides exchanged a series of wayward efforts before getting the radar right. First Jack Hamilton made a good stop at his near post, then Ryan Stewart had a good effort fingertipped over the bar. Back came United and their striker Jordan Moore created a great opening for himself but was thwarted by a terrific diving save from Jack Hamilton once again.

Half Time 1-0 to Hearts with United probably a bit unlucky to be behind.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first with neither side really on top with both restricted to long range efforts. Hearts got their 2nd goal on 65 minutes rather fortuitously, as a cross from the right looked easy for the United defence to clear but the keeper and central defender got their communication wrong and the ball hit Billy King and trickled over the line.

I'm not sure if United were deflated by the goal or if Hearts were lifted by it, but Hearts started playing more instinctively after that and dominated proceedings until the final whistle. The closest they came to adding a 3rd was a 30 yard drive from Billy King that the keeper tipped over the bar.

Another good result for the youngsters and they can go into the winter shutdown having consolidated their top of the table position.

Injury update - I spoke to Chris Kane before the game and he said that his injury wasn't too serious and would only keep him out for a couple of weeks. Chris Tobin said that he expected to be fit by the end of December.

FF,

I presume Brad Mackay was playing in Chris Kane's position.

How did Fraser Mullen do in midfield, was he central?

Good result and well done the lads. :thumbsup:

Footballfirst

FF,

I presume Brad Mackay was playing in Chris Kane's position.

How did Fraser Mullen do in midfield, was he central?

Good result and well done the lads. :thumbsup:

They played a 4-5-1 which becomes a 4-3-3 when attacking with the two wide players pushing forward. The central 3 were Mullen, McKay and Tapping. I thought Fraser played better in midfield against Celtic in the 2nd half than he did today. Fraser was booked again today, so may well be close to a suspension.

They were pretty solid defensively today as you would expect with that lineup as I said earlier, but they lacked the fluency of one and two touch possession they get with Holt Walker and Smith.

If I was selecting a formation from today's XI, then it would be (based on recent performances):

Hamilton

Mullen McGhee McKay McHattie

Carrick Nicholson Tapping King Patterson

Stewart

It offers a solid defence and a bit more creativity in central midfield.

FF-how did CH's cope with reshuffle.Is this not 2 new guys although Paterson is experiencecd and McGhee has played a few games ??

Footballfirst

FF-how did CH's cope with reshuffle.Is this not 2 new guys although Paterson is experiencecd and McGhee has played a few games ??

Callum Paterson is certainly not an experienced centre back, but he has a great jump on him so can win a lot of headers. I think that is why Darren Murray plays him at CB when we are up against a big guy up front.

Jordan McGhee is a great prospect. He's still only 15 but has the physique not to be bullied even at U19 level. He's is also a decent footballer, looking to play the ball out of defence rather than punt it up the park.

Thanks for that FF,decent to go away to Utd and not concede although looks like Hamilton made a few good saves

.Wonder if DM will look as these 2 to be his CH partnership next season assuming they are both the correct age and are still at the club?

Thanks for that FF,decent to go away to Utd and not concede although looks like Hamilton made a few good saves

.Wonder if DM will look as these 2 to be his CH partnership next season assuming they are both the correct age and are still at the club?

Interesting that you would wonder about the CH partnership for next year. You obviously follow the 17s and now 19s games as I can tell from your posts.

Do you think there are other prospects out there or has the river of talent ran dry when it comes to centre halfs?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

How's Tapping settling in? Is the general consensus that he may turn out to be a shrewd signing?

Footballfirst

Hamilton only had one decent save and one exceptional save to make during the game. Apart from that it was routine crosses but his handling and decision making was very good.

There is every chance that CP and J McG will be next season's pairing, although the do still have options from the U17s in Ewan Saunderson and Stuart McDonald. I'm half expecting, half hoping, that they will look to bring in another experienced CB to play alongside JMcG, allowing CP to play an attacking role.

Interesting that you would wonder about the CH partnership for next year. You obviously follow the 17s and now 19s games as I can tell from your posts.

Do you think there are other prospects out there or has the river of talent ran dry when it comes to centre halfs?

Apart from Jordan McGhee (U16) we also have a couple of very good centre back prospects at U14 and U13 this season, but I'll avoid naming them given their youth.

How's Tapping settling in? Is the general consensus that he may turn out to be a shrewd signing?

Tapping is doing fine. He was brought in as an insurance policy for Jason Holt being called up to play with the 1st team. He's not quite as technically skilled as Jason but he has a great work ethic and puts in a lot of tackles. He will still be here as a senior player next season as he was signed up for two years.

s

Yes i try to catch 15's, 17's and the odd 19's game when possible.IMO the 17's have excellent defensive cover as mentioned by FF who i am sure will breakthrough well at 19's if given the opportunity.The lads on the bench for the 19's yesterday are also excellent prospects who will serve the 19's well given the opportunity.FF mentioned the lad Mcdonald who has been excellent this season for the 17's and i am sure he is more than capable for 19's.I would reckon the 17's back 4 would without doubt be the strongest in their league this season along with a very able keeper,Carswell.

I do think they seem to be getting it right just now and the timing is perfect given the goings on at the 1st team.

Some excellent lads in the 15's group also but more in midfield /forward areas-they are not the strongest at the back.

jamboinglasgow

Hamilton only had one decent save and one exceptional save to make during the game. Apart from that it was routine crosses but his handling and decision making was very good.

There is every chance that CP and J McG will be next season's pairing, although the do still have options from the U17s in Ewan Saunderson and Stuart McDonald. I'm half expecting, half hoping, that they will look to bring in another experienced CB to play alongside JMcG, allowing CP to play an attacking role.

Apart from Jordan McGhee (U16) we also have a couple of very good centre back prospects at U14 and U13 this season, but I'll avoid naming them given their youth.

Tapping is doing fine. He was brought in as an insurance policy for Jason Holt being called up to play with the 1st team. He's not quite as technically skilled as Jason but he has a great work ethic and puts in a lot of tackles. He will still be here as a senior player next season as he was signed up for two years.

A curious statistic I have noticed about McGhee has been that Hearts have not conceded a goal while he has been on the pitch, and he has made 2 starts and 4 sub appearances.

And here is some other random stats, only 3 players have played in all 16 competitive games this season, Brad McKay, Jack Hamilton and Callum Patterson (though only the first two have started every game.)

The player with the best goals to game ratio is Billy King with 0.46 goals per game (close second is Callum Paterson with 0.44 goals per game, third is Callum Tapping with 0.3 goals per game.)

The player who is the most used sub is Dale Carrick who has made 6 apperances from the bench (and has started 5 times,) yet second is Geroge Scott who despite coming off the bench 5 times this season is still to start a game this season.

Until being sent away on loan, both Jason Holt and David Smith started every competitive game.

As we are at the break here are some stats about the league season so far. We are sitting top with 39 points after 15 games, having scored 33 goals and conceded 16 (that includes 5 clean sheets.) That makes an average of Hearts scoring 2.2 goals a game and conceding 1.07 goals a game. Hearts have only lost 2 of the 15 league games meaning that the 19s have a win percentage of 87%. Both losses came at home. Our 33 goals have been scored by 12 players (with joint top scorers Callum Patterson and Billy King scoring 7 each.)

If we compare it with our position after 15 games last season, not sure what position we were but Hearts had 31 points having won 10 games, drawn 1 and lost 4 games. Hearts had scored 37 goals and conceded 20 goals (though that includes a 7-0 loss against Hamilton and includes 8 clean sheets.) This makes an average of Hearts scoring 2.47 and conceeding 1.33 goals a game (0.93 if you do not include the Hamilton game (as it can distort the overall picture.) The Under 19s had a win percentage of 67%. The 37 goals have been scored by 10 different players (with top scorer Denis Prychnenko scoring 10, second is Robert Ogleby scoring 4.)

One last thing I have found interesting looking at the stats (and I might be the only one here who finds this interesting) is that this season the 19s have not won a game by more then 2 goals, though 7 of their 13 wins have been by this margin. Last season by this number of games the 19s had won by a larger margin then 2 in 5 of their games.

Fort Vallance

You are having a laugh about the very able Keeper Carswell surely, he is back up if anything.

Are you talking about the same Carswell ?

Guest Dipped Flake

Are you talking about the same Carswell ?

pointless getting into an argument with him, he has a personal grudge against the U-19s

"pointless getting into an argument with him, he has a personal grudge against the U-19s"

Thats bunkum what would you know anyway.

"pointless getting into an argument with him, he has a personal grudge against the U-19s"

Thats bunkum what would you know anyway.

Seems like he's got in fairly spot on to me

jamboinglasgow

Piece of news on the U19s. Kevin McHattie has gone out on loan to Alloa for the next 6 weeks.

Great to hear, good that he is also getting experience though I imagine there might be some here annoyed that our only fit natural left back is being put on loan. Wonder if any others will go away on loan, I imagine surely Fraser Mullen will be the next one to be given experience.

Great to hear, good that he is also getting experience though I imagine there might be some here annoyed that our only fit natural left back is being put on loan. Wonder if any others will go away on loan, I imagine surely Fraser Mullen will be the next one to be given experience.

Was thinking exactly the same on both counts. Be good for Fraser to get experience, needs it I feel. Bit frustrating as likely means Kev isn't in first team thoughts, tho hasn't been at his best for whole of season

Possibly Brad could be another to go on loan

Archived