The "Drop Ball"...

Walter Bishop

Pish poor from Stevenson. If they'd done that to us they'd be getting slaughtered.

Although I did think the challenge on Templeton was a penalty.

He was quite right too. He wanted a contested drop ball as stevo was saying and the caley boy walked off. They were quite happy playing on with our man on the deck.

Walter Bishop

I was away for a pish and missed it. What happened?

The ref stopped play after Temps was floored with a forearm in the box, We had possesion and so the right thing to do would have been for Caley to give us the ball back they were clearly expecting us to give it back to them though. Stevenson was having none of it and dribbled away with the ball he played Templeton in and he made an erse of his finish.

Johanes de Silentio

I was away for a pish and missed it. What happened?

I'd guess that you unzipped, took out your member, and emptied your bladder?

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Stevenson did the right thing I think. Templeton was down in the box, Inverness carried on and I think it was Stevenson himself who ended up kicking the ball out of play, meaning we had no right to give the ball back to them.

The ref stopped play after Temps was floored with a forearm in the box, We had possesion and so the right thing to do would have been for Caley to give us the ball back they were clearly expecting us to give it back to them though. Stevenson was having none of it and dribbled away with the ball he played Templeton in and he made an erse of his finish.

Rightly so.

I'd guess that you unzipped, took out your member, and emptied your bladder?

Nah, I sat down.

Stevenson was making the point that he had put the ball out, not an Inverness player.

The ball wasn't out of play. Or it wouldn't have been a drop ball.

jambos are go!

it was poor patter as they say and probably why be was subbed. In any case why did he wait to pass the ball instead of running in on goal himself. If it had been a goal all Hell would have let loose IMO.

Not his fault that no other player decided to contest it....

Time to get back to battling it out for a drop ball. :)

The ref told him to play on and the farmers weren't paying attention - usually if it's a genuine stop ball, the ref will say to give it back. IMHO, ref's call and Stevo did as he was told.

Well done Ryan and feck the teuchters!

Hearts had possession when the whistle blew. Stevenson indicated that it should be a competitive drop ball, the ICT player was at it by standing back.

In my view this drop ball thing is stupid, all drop balls should be competitive, the team in possession 90% of the time are disadvantaged by the drop ball situation, in attacj and the ball ends up back with the goalkeeper.

Stevenson did the right thing, The ICT player was playing gamesmanship.

Walter Bishop

it was poor patter as they say and probably why be was subbed. In any case why did he wait to pass the ball instead of running in on goal himself. If it had been a goal all Hell would have let loose IMO.

B@llocks x 2.

The ref told him to play on and the farmers weren't paying attention - usually if it's a genuine stop ball, the ref will say to give it back. IMHO, ref's call and Stevo did as he was told.

Well done Ryan and feck the teuchters!

refs have no say at all at drop balls

refs have no say at all at drop balls

That confuses me, I thought it was refs that decided if it was a drop ball?

That confuses me, I thought it was refs that decided if it was a drop ball?

Yes, I mean they are not allowed to instruct the players on whether it should be contested or not.

Well done Stevenson.

this isn't something you expect from hearts, most decent fans would say stevenson was bang out of order for this, typical garbage you would expect from a celtic player not a hearts player

thank feck hearts did not score from this....

Who da funk it, same folk who would have bitched and moaned about Inverness and the referee being out to get us if it was the other way about saying it was quite right. Haha

Captain Lithuania

this isn't something you expect from hearts, most decent fans would say stevenson was bang out of order for this, typical garbage you would expect from a celtic player not a hearts player

Last few weeks this place has been reeking of Hibernian..

The Old Tolbooth

Utter pish!

Feck off back to bohemians.net

What a crock of ****

The St Johnstone player had the ball with Templeton behind him so no opportunity to see if Temps was actually seriously injured. Ref blows whistle to check if Templeton okay. Hearts player then knocked the ball into touch. That's how I remember it anyway.

So drop ball was right and Stevenson for me acting outwith the spirit of the game by taking the ball on at the drop ball.

The St Johnstone player had the ball with Templeton behind him so no opportunity to see if Temps was actually seriously injured. Ref blows whistle to check if Templeton okay. Hearts player then knocked the ball into touch. That's how I remember it anyway.

So drop ball was right and Stevenson for me acting outwith the spirit of the game by taking the ball on at the drop ball.

Its the saints game next week Coco :whistling:

Grumpy

Feck the 'spirit of the game.'

Drop ball used to mean a free for all. Any number of players can contest it. Let's get back to that. Oh wait, the rule is still the same..

:smuggy:

I understand players' anger / frustration at ref and you could see Stevenson alerting ref and ICT player to the fact that he was going to play on but still in terms of modern football conventions he was out of order, in my opinion.

Its high time all this nonsense about 'fair play' was stopped.

Contest every drop ball no matter what.

It certainly livened up the game.

Let's not be 2 faced about this, we would be raging if the opposite happened.

Unless we got a message out to ICT before the game that we would contest every drop ball, then Stevenson should have played the ball back.

It's now an unwritten rule among thieves not to contest a drop ball.

I would however, go back to every drop ball being contested and the ball only being kicked out of play if it's a serious injury - although I'm aware it was the ref that stopped the game yesterday.

But the biggest problem is players cheating each other by feigning injury. Something you never hear mega mouths like Taylor, Wishart and the big wigs in the game ever discussing.

Thunderstruck

If Caley were imbued with the Corinthian spirit, they would have put the ball out for a throw-in when the saw the injury. Fact is, they didn't and, arguably, tried to take advantage.

If a team puts the ball out to allow treatment, return it to them. If Ref stops it, contest the drop ball.

If Caley were imbued with the Corinthian spirit, they would have put the ball out for a throw-in when the saw the injury. Fact is, they didn't and, arguably, tried to take advantage.

If a team puts the ball out to allow treatment, return it to them. If Ref stops it, contest the drop ball.

Correct......as the rules are clear. Any player, including the goalie, can contest a drop ball.

Failing to see the big deal.

:verysmug:

ICT didn't play it out. If they had done so then we should have given the ball back. The ref watched Templeton get hit in the head and not only chose not to give a penalty, but chose to ignore the headknock until Calley were breaking with the ball. It seemed that it was only when we won possession that he was willing to consider checking if Temps was OK.

Both the ref and Calley didn't care enough about fairplay to stop and see if Temps was hurt. Stevo had every right to play the ball and try to make up for the penalty we should have been awarded.

If we had possession of the ball at the time the ref stopped play why in hell would we give Inverness the ball just because one of their players cabbaged one of ours

Get real, anybody who would give the ball to them in that situation will live and die a loser

Well done Stevo

i wish jj was my dad

Putting ethics to one side.

I was dead impressed with Ryan's response to Foran and Tokely.

Neither fancied it when he stood his ground :thumbsup:

If we had possession of the ball at the time the ref stopped play why in hell would we give Inverness the ball just because one of their players cabbaged one of ours

Get real, anybody who would give the ball to them in that situation will live and die a loser

Well done Stevo

They had the ball at the time the ref stopped the game.

The supposed injury to Templeton was behind the player who had the ball who obviously was not in a position to see that Templeton was injured.

It is up to the referee and him alone whether to stop play or not. This Thomson did, what Stevo did next was not good, I would like to assume he told the ref he was not giving it back, but I doubt it.

Over the years a lot of players have needlesly stopped play basically to gain advantage when under pressure. Teams have been told to stop this.

So, it was not an option for Caley to put it out.

I called Temps a play actor in another thread yesterday, hopefully highlights will show me wrong. But I am fed up of footballers hitting the deck and staying down. I don't think there was any need for the ref to stop play as Temps got up without treatment. Possibly if the ref stops play, the player should leave the park.

Archived