Team GB

kevokay

There is a serious issue here. Namely the potential dissolution of the home nations into one UK football team for future World Cups and European Championships. Blatter's contradictory statements do little to ease SFA, FAW & IFA fears and a precedent of a UK team consisting of professional players in Olympic competition could give those who resent the home nations' "special status" in world football a very heavy stick to finally beat us with.

That status, of course, being Britain having its own Fifa vice-president and the home nations having separate status along with the four home associations also representing half of the International FA Board (Ifab), the game's law-making body, with Fifa making up the half. Argentina?s Julio Grondona and Trinidad?s Jack Warner have long since made their opposition to this very clear with both demanding we unite as one UK body in the football world. Attempts have been made in the past to do this (without the aforementioned precedent - previous Olympic appearances were done with "amateur" players so we have been able to dance around that instance).

In the early 1970s, with football growing in Africa and Asia and in a bid to increase their own World Cup place allocation, moves were made to end the home nation privileges which were quelled due to the Uefa nations rallying behind the British FA?s in order to preserve the vast number of World Cup berths they already had. In 1972, the Uruguayan delegate tabled a motion to Fifa calling to dissolve the home nation teams and merge them all into a United Kingdom side. The proposal was withdrawn after the home nations agreed to pay Fifa a share of receipts from the now-defunct Home Championship.

The League of Wales was formed in the early 1990s after warnings Wales? independent status would be under threat if they did not have a competitive league, and in 1992 British delegates at Ifab were told by Fifa that if they voted against backpass rule it would jeopardise their separate status. All of this without the precedent of professional footballers playing for a unified British team in a competitive fixture.

The Lions rugby team has been cited as to how a GB football team can be fielded in competition, but it is a false comparison given that is drawn from players from two separate political nation states and that they only play exhibition matches anyway - ie. they don't play in Six Nations and World Cup tournaments. Plus, there is no faction in IRB circles demanding a UK team as it would undermine the golden goose that is the Six Nations. Yes rugby sevens will be at the 2016 Olympics but anyone who thinks the team would be selected under current Lions criteria needs to check an atlas and their British and Irish history (only Ulster - namely those six counties that make up Northern Ireland - players would be eligible for a UK team under Olympic rules. We wouldn't get the Munster, Leinster and Connacht players plus those from Co. Donegal, Monaghan and Navan who would qualify for those Lions tours to the southern hemisphere that happen every four years. If the BOA tried to use Lions criteria for the 2016 sevens event, they would be barred from entering as you cannot select athletes from another Olympic nation (the Republic of Ireland).

Totally agree with this. We can't afford to give that corrupt mob called FIFA any additional reason to get rid of the 4 home nations.

That and I don't think football should be in the Olympics. No interest in a team GB.

You've all got what you wanted and in 5, 10, 20 , 30 years from now you can carry on telling the tale of how we refused to play wi they ******* English. That'll keep all you bitters happy. During this time the Welsh will continue to represent themselves at World Cups and the Euro Championships so exposing the lies told by the SFA.

You've all got what you wanted and in 5, 10, 20 , 30 years from now you can carry on telling the tale of how we refused to play wi they ******* English. That'll keep all you bitters happy. During this time the Welsh will continue to represent themselves at World Cups and the Euro Championships so exposing the lies told by the SFA.

I know who seems the most bitter on this thread. :whistling:

What lies ima morron.

Why don't you piss off and watch Hibs next Friday if you're feeling so neighbourly

A Boy Named Crow

The prospect of a Team GB football team doesn't bother me as it will be part of the Olymipics, which I won't be watching. What does bother me is the prospect of a UK association, with a UK team and UK leagues. Team GB makes that more likely and with it the prospect of more Basel/Braga/Sarajevo/Stuttgart/Munich/Madrid etc.nights out for us a lot less likely.

Most of of us are Scottish,, which means most of us are British, but we are ALL Jambos, and for that reason it has to be Team GB GTF!

As somebody else on this thread asked, what lies would those be?

RoussetsShorts

I am for a team GB in fitba. Scotland are never going to qualify for a major tourney again so maybe if we had a team GB to support we might actually get to support somebody at the big tournys. I'd also be delighted to see the end of 'doh a deer' and all the other cringeworthy pish the tartan beer belly club come up with.

tartan-army.jpg

:vrface:

The prospect of a Team GB football team doesn't bother me as it will be part of the Olymipics, which I won't be watching. What does bother me is the prospect of a UK association, with a UK team and UK leagues. Team GB makes that more likely and with it the prospect of more Basel/Braga/Sarajevo/Stuttgart/Munich/Madrid etc.nights out for us a lot less likely.

Most of of us are Scottish,, which means most of us are British, but we are ALL Jambos, and for that reason it has to be Team GB GTF!

If the likes of Fulham and Blackburn can make it into Europe through the EPL, why couldn't Hearts through a UKPL?

A UK-wide league system could actually be the answer to Hearts, and Scottish football's, prayers...

As for a UK national team...I could live with that.

Paul Hayward of the Daily Telegraph has just quoted Sir Alex Ferguson on the issue on Twitter. While Ferguson says it's down to individual choice he goes on to say: "As a Scot I would say it's a no-no for us."

If the likes of Fulham and Blackburn can make it into Europe through the EPL, why couldn't Hearts through a UKPL?

A UK-wide league system could actually be the answer to Hearts, and Scottish football's, prayers...

As for a UK national team...I could live with that.

What makes you think Hearts would be parachuted straight into the top flight (or even the second tier) of a UK league set-up? The Old Firm might be the only concession both the EPL and the Championship might be prepared to make. League one or two could be the likely destination for ourselves, Hibs, Aberdeen, etc

What makes you think Hearts would be parachuted straight into the top flight (or even the second tier) of a UK league set-up? The Old Firm might be the only concession both the EPL and the Championship might be prepared to make. League one or two could be the likely destination for ourselves, Hibs, Aberdeen, etc

What makes you think that I think they would be?

What makes you think that I think they would be?

When you said this: "If the likes of Fulham and Blackburn can make it into Europe through the EPL, why couldn't Hearts through a UKPL?" It conveyed to impression that we would be in the UKPL.

When you said this: "If the likes of Fulham and Blackburn can make it into Europe through the EPL, why couldn't Hearts through a UKPL?" It conveyed to impression that we would be in the UKPL.

I apologise if that read like I meant they would go straight into a league that doesn't exist, as opposed to having the opportunity to be there at some point under the scenario suggested (a UK-wide league system).

Alba gu Brath

I am for a team GB in fitba. Scotland are never going to qualify for a major tourney again so maybe if we had a team GB to support we might actually get to support somebody at the big tournys. I'd also be delighted to see the end of 'doh a deer' and all the other cringeworthy pish the tartan beer belly club come up with.

tartan-army.jpg

Good point. Scotland will win FA. Why not merge Hearts with Hibs and Spartans and then we might win something too?

As to the photo. Not personally my attire but swap the tops for Hearts ones and the kilts for JJB Sports trackies and you have a lot of Jambos.

Team GB, nah. Especially when the chances of Scotland being independent and not just in terms of football, law and education, are getting ever closer.

The whole thing has nothing to do with national pride and everything to do with making money for the British Olympic Association. There was no demand for a GB team at Beijing 08, Munich 72, Seoul 88 etc and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be no demand for one in Rio 16.

The inclusion of David Beckham who only highlight want it is really all about, corporate greed.

Very much this, the IOC are every bit as bad as FIFA when theres money at stake.

I couldn't give a toss what the SFA think. Best line I heard was from Craig Burley, its not popular but if young lads want to play then that's fine. They can strut on the international footy (regardless of its stature) stage and play with the future pros of all corners of the UK. For the SFA, WFA and IFA its a fear they'll loose their cash cows and trips away with the national team. All wee minded morons who if they truly backed youth and development over lucrative deals and short termism would back such ideas as it shows off youth and helps develop it.

kennyblack'sshot

tartan-army.jpg

Replace the Scotland shirts with Hearts tops and that could be any group of Hearts fans off on a European trip.

EDIT: Just saw someone else said the same thing!

kennyblack'sshot

Or visiting any nation in the world as a Scotsman.

Unless I missed the twee tartan passport with the thistle on the front and Oor Wullie on the back.

Love your idea of what makes Scotland Scottish, but to your point - the way it's going we'll have these passports by, oh, 2016. Can't wait - dual nationality beckons.

kennyblack'sshot

The first ever international football match was between Scotland and England. Some people on here need to respect that more.

We have the oldest rivalry in world football and nothing that threatens the continuation of our separate footballing nations - such as this Team GB nonsense - should be supported.

By your logic you would be quite happy to support the Old Firm as it doesn't look like Hearts will be winning any trophies any time soon. The Old Firm win something every season, so if you are into glory hunting I suggest you follow them. They seem to have based that ghastly strip on Rangers' to draw in the bigots up here.

Also, please explain where the difference is between Hearts fans following their team abroad in Kilts etc and the Tartan Army? When it comes down to it, Hearts are a member of the SFA, and supporting the Scottish national team is part and parcel of Hearts' history. Just recite the words to the Hearts song or keep rewriting history like some on here.

Love your idea of what makes Scotland Scottish, but to your point - the way it's going we'll have these passports by, oh, 2016. Can't wait - dual nationality beckons.

Yep, all you need is wee fat Eck to figure out how to over complicate a simple question to his maximum benefit and to continue to stonewall pretty fundamental practical questions on the matter and you'll be there.

Still, not something I'm overly interested in so this will be my last post on the subject. If having different wording on your passport and mine makes even one iota of difference to your life and the way you live it, crack on.

Me? The way I see it your born, you die. You have no control over either of these events. It's the bit inbetween that matters and what your passport says makes hee haw difference to that.

:thumbsup:

By your logic you would be quite happy to support the Old Firm as it doesn't look like Hearts will be winning any trophies any time soon. The Old Firm win something every season, so if you are into glory hunting I suggest you follow them. They seem to have based that ghastly strip on Rangers' to draw in the bigots up here.

That would be some curious logic - Scotland, like it or not, is part of the UK. Equating a Scottish person saying they would support a "Team GB", with a Hearts fan deciding to support another Scottish club side is nonsense.

kennyblack'sshot

Yep, all you need is wee fat Eck to figure out how to over complicate a simple question to his maximum benefit and to continue to stonewall pretty fundamental practical questions on the matter and you'll be there.

Still, not something I'm overly interested in so this will be my last post on the subject. If having different wording on your passport and mine makes even one iota of difference to your life and the way you live it, crack on.

Me? The way I see it your born, you die. You have no control over either of these events. It's the bit inbetween that matters and what your passport says makes hee haw difference to that.

:thumbsup:

Not too bothered about passports. It's the idea of not being ruled by English upper class twits - aka the Tory Party - ever again that appeals to me!

kennyblack'sshot

That would be some curious logic - Scotland, like it or not, is part of the UK. Equating a Scottish person saying they would support a "Team GB", with a Hearts fan deciding to support another Scottish club side is nonsense.

Aye and Hibs and Hearts are both part of Edinburgh so let's put over 100 years of rivalry aside and merge them and call them Team Edinburgh? Would you do that for a one-off tournament if it meant that the separate existence of Hearts and Hibs was threatened as a result? That's the situation with Team GB.

1322333150[/url]' post='2558606']

For the time being! Many years ago No one thought Scotland would have devolution.

Aye and Hibs and Hearts are both part of Edinburgh so let's put over 100 years of rivalry aside and merge them and call them Team Edinburgh?

Not something I'd support at all, personally.

However, if, for example, there was some hypothetical tournament in which individual cities competed against each other, I would probably want Team Edinburgh to win.

So you implicitly trust people liks Blatter, Warner etc.

When Blatter goes I hope he elects for an open top coffin cremation .

no trust in them what so ever. the latest episode (race row) with Blatter and the english fa will not help. within 20 years there will be no english/scottish/wales/n.ireland national teams due to fifa settling old scores.

that will of course mean no individual leagues but one national one. eg we will probably be competing in the equal of the championship.

kennyblack'sshot

For the time being! Many years ago No one thought Scotland would have devolution.

Aye and no-one thought the SNP had a hope in hell of getting a majority in Holyrood either!

Things are changing and some people just can't see it. People who love being British are entitled to say so (although they never seem to be able to provide good reasons why Scotland should stay part of the UK - with a government in London that doesn't give two hoots about Scotland), but none of them seem able to be proud to be British without putting Scotland down or bringing up the Tartan Army or deep fried mars bars or Braveheart and shortbread, etc.

It's just the Olympics. This isn't a fifa competition. It doesn't count.

The arguments of those opposed to the idea on the Olympics and football....

....so if it doesn't count for fifa etc, why not let the laddies choose. If Wylde, Hanley, Rhodes, Bannan etc want to go, which they might, why not let them?

tartan-army.jpg

If making big tournaments is your concern (as well as Scotland's inability to make one since 1998), you do know that with the exception of Germany and Italy, some of Europe's big boys have been known, like Scotland and other smaller nations (in a footballing sense), not to qualify for said tournaments? England have missed out on the 1974, 1978 & 1994 World Cups and also the 1984 & 2008 European Championships. France have had a number of qualification failures too. As have Spain, Holland and Russia.

BTW, regarding your picture, if you look hard enough you'll find fans of the other three UK footballing nations looking like and making absolute pillocks of themselves too - England especially.

....so if it doesn't count for fifa etc, why not let the laddies choose. If Wylde, Hanley, Rhodes, Bannan etc want to go, which they might, why not let them?

Because of the possibility of those amongst the anti-home nations lobby in Fifa (as previously cited - as well as their motives - earlier in this thread) deciding to make it count.

Aye and no-one thought the SNP had a hope in hell of getting a majority in Holyrood either!

Things are changing and some people just can't see it. People who love being British are entitled to say so (although they never seem to be able to provide good reasons why Scotland should stay part of the UK - with a government in London that doesn't give two hoots about Scotland), but none of them seem able to be proud to be British without putting Scotland down or bringing up the Tartan Army or deep fried mars bars or Braveheart and shortbread, etc.

Speaking for only myself, of course...

I said on another thread that I'm not sure "pride" is the right word, given I had no control over where I was born, but I am proud to be Scottish. I am proud to be British. And I am proud of the role Scotland has played in British history.

When the time comes to vote, I would vote against Scottish independence, as I think Scotland benefits from being part of the UK. However, it's not something I feel very strongly about. If Scotland becomes independent, then fair enough. I voted against devolution, and that's probably turned out better than I thought it would.

As for the Scottish national team, I want them to win when they play, but again, it's not something I get too passionate about. Good luck to those who do. I'd prefer Scotland continued as an independent nation in the footballing world, but again, if it came to it, and the Home Nations began to compete as one, I could live with that. If I gave a shit about the Olympics (which I don't), I'd be happy to support "Team GB". I understand the view which is opposed to that team, though, even if I don't agree with it.

Regarding choice: All three Celtic FA's have stated they would not stand in the way of any individual player choosing to participate. What they're doing is letting their players be aware of the potential consequences that their actions might contribute to.

On a general point regarding the Team GB issue, before you and I go around in circles, it might be worth re-reading our respective posts on the following thread before continuing the debate on this one: http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/94616-gb-olympic-football-team/page__st__160

Archived