Team GB

kevokay

I have a great respect for David Beckham and the charity work etc he does but if he gets into Team Gb at the Olympics then its a bit of a piss take!! If I remember correctly you can only enter 3 players over the age of 23 so to take him means he is one of the three best players over the age of 23 in Britain!!

This is just going to be an English team with Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey isn't it??

Goldstone Wonder

I'm with Dai Greene on this. Whether or not you're a Scottish Nationalist or a Unionist, there is absolutely no place for football in the Olympics. Beckham playing would just make it even more farcical. And the strip is a basically a Hun's wet dream.

kennyblack'sshot

I have a great respect for David Beckham and the charity work etc he does but if he gets into Team Gb at the Olympics then its a bit of a piss take!! If I remember correctly you can only enter 3 players over the age of 23 so to take him means he is one of the three best players over the age of 23 in Britain!!

This is just going to be an English team with Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey isn't it??

The whole Team GB thing is a pisstake, Let England field a team - their fans can just bring out the songbook and flags they take to England games anyhow. They don't know the difference.

There is a serious issue here. Namely the potential dissolution of the home nations into one UK football team for future World Cups and European Championships. Blatter's contradictory statements do little to ease SFA, FAW & IFA fears and a precedent of a UK team consisting of professional players in Olympic competition could give those who resent the home nations' "special status" in world football a very heavy stick to finally beat us with.

That status, of course, being Britain having its own Fifa vice-president and the home nations having separate status along with the four home associations also representing half of the International FA Board (Ifab), the game's law-making body, with Fifa making up the half. Argentina?s Julio Grondona and Trinidad?s Jack Warner have long since made their opposition to this very clear with both demanding we unite as one UK body in the football world. Attempts have been made in the past to do this (without the aforementioned precedent - previous Olympic appearances were done with "amateur" players so we have been able to dance around that instance).

In the early 1970s, with football growing in Africa and Asia and in a bid to increase their own World Cup place allocation, moves were made to end the home nation privileges which were quelled due to the Uefa nations rallying behind the British FA?s in order to preserve the vast number of World Cup berths they already had. In 1972, the Uruguayan delegate tabled a motion to Fifa calling to dissolve the home nation teams and merge them all into a United Kingdom side. The proposal was withdrawn after the home nations agreed to pay Fifa a share of receipts from the now-defunct Home Championship.

The League of Wales was formed in the early 1990s after warnings Wales? independent status would be under threat if they did not have a competitive league, and in 1992 British delegates at Ifab were told by Fifa that if they voted against backpass rule it would jeopardise their separate status. All of this without the precedent of professional footballers playing for a unified British team in a competitive fixture.

The Lions rugby team has been cited as to how a GB football team can be fielded in competition, but it is a false comparison given that is drawn from players from two separate political nation states and that they only play exhibition matches anyway - ie. they don't play in Six Nations and World Cup tournaments. Plus, there is no faction in IRB circles demanding a UK team as it would undermine the golden goose that is the Six Nations. Yes rugby sevens will be at the 2016 Olympics but anyone who thinks the team would be selected under current Lions criteria needs to check an atlas and their British and Irish history (only Ulster - namely those six counties that make up Northern Ireland - players would be eligible for a UK team under Olympic rules. We wouldn't get the Munster, Leinster and Connacht players plus those from Co. Donegal, Monaghan and Navan who would qualify for those Lions tours to the southern hemisphere that happen every four years. If the BOA tried to use Lions criteria for the 2016 sevens event, they would be barred from entering as you cannot select athletes from another Olympic nation (the Republic of Ireland).

I think football had no place at the Olympics, which should be the pinnacle for any sport included. However, if it is included, I have no problem with the UK taking part, like any other competing country.

Only because there are no Scottish/Northern Ireland players good enough.

Can McGeady play? As although he plays for the Irish National side he will have a British passport?

Can McGeady play? As although he plays for the Irish National side he will have a British passport?

Good question...James McCarthy may also be eligible...

Good question...James McCarthy may also be eligible...

Under 23 too so he would be a really good shout.

Imagine that eh? Our one contribution to the GB side could be one wee kiddae on Oirish turncoat :)

Problem Officer?

It's all a lot of shite this Team England crap. Rangers fandans will lap it up though and there will be loads of these strips on display at Ibronx when it's released.

And what about them having the cheek to want the Olympic Rings on Edinburgh Castle as well? :vrface:

Under 23 too so he would be a really good shout.

Imagine that eh? Our one contribution to the GB side could be one wee kiddae on Oirish turncoat :)

Like rain on your wedding day...

kennyblack'sshot

I think football had no place at the Olympics, which should be the pinnacle for any sport included. However, if it is included, I have no problem with the UK taking part, like any other competing country.

Aye, but there's a whole lot more to it as Denny Crane pointed out. It's different from cycling or the long jump.

Aye, but there's a whole lot more to it as Denny Crane pointed out. It's different from cycling or the long jump.

I'm aware of those concerns, but don't share them.

I'm aware of those concerns, but don't share them.

So you implicitly trust people liks Blatter, Warner etc.

When Blatter goes I hope he elects for an open top coffin cremation .

Unfortunately you are correct and is one of the main reasons why we must fight to retain a Scotland team at all costs.

If there was a GB football team there would have been very few scots in the past playing for it, never mind today. By retaining our national team we retain the right to play Scots at the highest level.

okay have fun supporting scotland in the olympics :unsure:

Or visiting any nation in the world as a Scotsman.

Unless I missed the twee tartan passport with the thistle on the front and Oor Wullie on the back.

There is a serious issue here. Namely the potential dissolution of the home nations into one UK football team for future World Cups and European Championships. Blatter's contradictory statements do little to ease SFA, FAW & IFA fears and a precedent of a UK team consisting of professional players in Olympic competition could give those who resent the home nations' "special status" in world football a very heavy stick to finally beat us with.

That status, of course, being Britain having its own Fifa vice-president and the home nations having separate status along with the four home associations also representing half of the International FA Board (Ifab), the game's law-making body, with Fifa making up the half. Argentina?s Julio Grondona and Trinidad?s Jack Warner have long since made their opposition to this very clear with both demanding we unite as one UK body in the football world. Attempts have been made in the past to do this (without the aforementioned precedent - previous Olympic appearances were done with "amateur" players so we have been able to dance around that instance).

In the early 1970s, with football growing in Africa and Asia and in a bid to increase their own World Cup place allocation, moves were made to end the home nation privileges which were quelled due to the Uefa nations rallying behind the British FA?s in order to preserve the vast number of World Cup berths they already had. In 1972, the Uruguayan delegate tabled a motion to Fifa calling to dissolve the home nation teams and merge them all into a United Kingdom side. The proposal was withdrawn after the home nations agreed to pay Fifa a share of receipts from the now-defunct Home Championship.

The League of Wales was formed in the early 1990s after warnings Wales? independent status would be under threat if they did not have a competitive league, and in 1992 British delegates at Ifab were told by Fifa that if they voted against backpass rule it would jeopardise their separate status. All of this without the precedent of professional footballers playing for a unified British team in a competitive fixture.

The Lions rugby team has been cited as to how a GB football team can be fielded in competition, but it is a false comparison given that is drawn from players from two separate political nation states and that they only play exhibition matches anyway - ie. they don't play in Six Nations and World Cup tournaments. Plus, there is no faction in IRB circles demanding a UK team as it would undermine the golden goose that is the Six Nations. Yes rugby sevens will be at the 2016 Olympics but anyone who thinks the team would be selected under current Lions criteria needs to check an atlas and their British and Irish history (only Ulster - namely those six counties that make up Northern Ireland - players would be eligible for a UK team under Olympic rules. We wouldn't get the Munster, Leinster and Connacht players plus those from Co. Donegal, Monaghan and Navan who would qualify for those Lions tours to the southern hemisphere that happen every four years. If the BOA tried to use Lions criteria for the 2016 sevens event, they would be barred from entering as you cannot select athletes from another Olympic nation (the Republic of Ireland).

If FIFA scrapped the Home Nations, the next logical decision would be for UEFA to scrap the individual leagues and therefore a British league would have to be set up.

As it would be a new league and each FA is essentially equal, the four nations could create a 20 team league where the top 5 teams from each league are the initial representatives.

Never going to happen! But if you follow the logic from FIFA, why not apply it to UEFA too?

Personally I think Beckham's inclusion is a good way to say 'thank you' for his contribution as part of the bid team.

In general though , I couldn't give a sh**. Britain hasn't enetered an Olympic football team in god knows how long but suddenly it's a matter of national honour just because the games are being held in London.

Add to that the hypocracy of the English press who have slagged off the non participants for not participating in a tournament that has no prestige whatsoever and which TeamGB has no chance of winning** (whether or not the rets of the UK shows up). Will be interesting to see what the English FA and media make of the next Olympic football team.

With Pearce in charge they're fated to lose on penalties surely ?

**** Team GB were Scottish not British

I'm British... and I'll be supporting Team GB, more than likely but the strip as well... But I'll try not to wear it at Tynie or any hearts game for that matter as i wouldn't want a JKB thread soley on me!

Never seen so many Anti British statements/comments. Get a grip lads!

Optimus Prime

The whole thing has nothing to do with national pride and everything to do with making money for the British Olympic Association. There was no demand for a GB team at Beijing 08, Munich 72, Seoul 88 etc and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be no demand for one in Rio 16.

The inclusion of David Beckham who only highlight want it is really all about, corporate greed.

Tin hat on here, I honestly don't see what the big deal is about "Team GB Football". So what?

There'll be hockey teams, basketball teams etc with mixed players. Last time I checked, my passport says I'm British :rolleyes: so I'll go along with it.

The whole thing has nothing to do with national pride and everything to do with making money for the British Olympic Association. There was no demand for a GB team at Beijing 08, Munich 72, Seoul 88 etc and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be no demand for one in Rio 16.

The inclusion of David Beckham who only highlight want it is really all about, corporate greed.

As I said earlier, football has no place at the Olympics. However, if the event is there, the host nation has to compete, let's face it.

TEAM GB AND UNION JACKZ UR JUST FIR HUNZ LOLZ!!!!!!11!!!1!!

As "Huns" is a derogatory term for Germans... I doubt it.

TEAM GB AND UNION JACKZ UR JUST FIR HUNZ LOLZ!!!!!!11!!!1!!

As "Huns" is a derogatory term for Germans... I doubt it.

Ignorant Post IMO

The term is about a millenium and a half old and had been applied to Germans for less than a century. It had already taken on the more generic meaning of "Uncivilized Warlike Barbarian" long before the first world war when it started being applied to the enemy.

It was adopted by Irish nationalists as a label for the British "Occupiers" soon after

Rangers fandans will lap it up though and there will be loads of these strips on display at Ibronx when it's released.

And Tynecastle :smuggy:

If FIFA scrapped the Home Nations, the next logical decision would be for UEFA to scrap the individual leagues and therefore a British league would have to be set up.

As it would be a new league and each FA is essentially equal, the four nations could create a 20 team league where the top 5 teams from each league are the initial representatives.

Never going to happen! But if you follow the logic from FIFA, why not apply it to UEFA too?

But say for argument's sake it did, imagine how the EPL clubs would react to token clubs from the other three provinces being parachuted in with 15 of them being told to shove off to a lower league to make way for this "league by quota". Lawyers would have a field day but would cause all sorts of wrangling. If the four nations are dissolved then as you rightly point out, there are potential and far-reaching consequences which one suspects the BOA and Lord Coe haven't really given any thought to whatsoever (I suspect a profitable two-week jamboree next summer is the summit of their long-term thinking on this).

I'm British... and I'll be supporting Team GB, more than likely but the strip as well... But I'll try not to wear it at Tynie or any hearts game for that matter as i wouldn't want a JKB thread soley on me!

Never seen so many Anti British statements/comments. Get a grip lads!

This is not about being anti-British. It is about preserving a national side that, in Scotland's case, has played international football (and was indeed a founding father) since 1872.

It will have to qualify for 2016. The route for European nations to do just that is via the European Under-21 championship. No United Kingdom side has ever been entered in that competition. Scotland (twice) and England have previously qualified but both opted not to participate under a United Kingdom banner lest they compromised the independence of the home nations. If the BOA want a football team to enter the 2016 games, UEFA and the home nations will reach a serious crossroads which could be the final nail in the coffin of the home nations if the BOA gets its way. The home nations as footballing participants could only have a couple of years left (on the basis of the draw for said Euro tournament being made by the end of 2013) if a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish player plays any part in the 2012 games.

Also, as you point out, GB hasn?t even bothered entering since 1974, so why is it now deemed so important to risk our very future on participation? More likely to do with the BOA's quest to sell tickets and profit from any merchandising rights such as those strips mentioned earlier. It has also given politicians south of the Tweed and east of Offa's Dyke with no interest in the game to suddenly appeared to give backing to the idea when there is political capital to be made - not for the first time. After West Germany had brushed aside (with ease) England at Wembley in the European Championship quarter-final first leg, there was actually a motion in parliament calling for the formation of a combined United Kingdom side (ie. we want George Best, Jimmy Johnstone and Billy Bremner in the England team under the auspices of a "UK team" - reflective of today's clamour to have Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale playing amongst England's best). During the debate, the Welsh MP Cledwyn Hughes gave a cheeky response by saying: ?If Welsh football players were released by the league to play in international matches for Wales, then Wales would be a match for England, West Germany or any other country.? Motion was subsequently defeated.

Tin hat on here, I honestly don't see what the big deal is about "Team GB Football". So what?

There'll be hockey teams, basketball teams etc with mixed players. Last time I checked, my passport says I'm British :rolleyes: so I'll go along with it.

This is not a passport issue at all. It works for hockey and basketball because there is not as big a clamour for the home nations in those sports to be disbanded as there is in football. The objection isn?t about nationalism, or petty insularity. There are very good historical reasons for the SFA, FAW & IFA to specifically oppose a combined Olympic football team. (see earlier examples cited in my initial post).

As I said earlier, football has no place at the Olympics. However, if the event is there, the host nation has to compete, let's face it.

The SFA, FAW & the IFA have stated they have no objections to a GB team staffed with England players. If none of the Celtic nation players play then there is technically no precedent for the anti-home nations lobby in FIFA to throw at them. If there was no threat at all to their footballing independence then I'm sure they'd participate but Sepp Blatter has been very contradictory on this issue.

In 2008 he said this: "The executive committee confirmed that the participation in the 2012 London Olympic Games of a single team representing Great Britain would not affect the existing individual status of the four British football associations. For the Olympic Games, they have to play in one entity."

All well and good you might think. However, not long after saying that, he came up with this: "I think when it comes to these Olympics there should be one team from one of the country's playing and not a combination. The best solution for London (in 2012] is that only the English team play. That's the best solution. To make a combined team is not a good idea."

Craig Brown is also on record stating he has a letter written and signed by the late David Will who, in his then capacity as FIFA Vice-President, warned against participation lest it give the likes of Jack Warner and Julio Grondona the excuse to have the home nations dissolved and merged into a UK team and FIFA member (as it would remove three votes that could go against their respective blocs for any proposal they want to push through in a FIFA vote).

Then of course there was this: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/09/10/the-e-mail-that-reveals-the-threat-to-wales-football-future-posed-by-a-british-olympic-side-91466-21716323/

The danger remains that somebody will soon stand for FIFA election on the attractive ticket of forcing a permanent combined UK team and as Blatter admits himself, he can't control what his successor(s) might do. Hence, the SFA, FAW & IFA are justified in their caution.

Or visiting any nation in the world as a Scotsman.

Unless I missed the twee tartan passport with the thistle on the front and Oor Wullie on the back.

You sound like you find it hard to deal with your Scottish identity and are rather insecure about something to do with Scotland

Also, just because I live in a former country which is now controlled by a neighbouring one doesn't mean you lose your national

identity because the British government says you must feel British and prevent you from having Scottish passports.

I honestly don't mind the concept of a Team GB.

But,

A. The strip is a Rangers' fans wet dream.

and

B. It will almost certainly be a EPL select with very few of our fellow countrymen.

We should stick to the bike riding. We're good at that.

I think to get the other nations supporters on board they had to choose the manager wisely. Instead they got us one of the most patriotic Englishmen there is.

The suits at the SFA know fine well there is no threat to Scotland losing it's place in any future tourney. They are scaremongering.

It is only a one off and a chance for young players to test themselves against the best in the world in their age group. Any young player would love to be involved.

It is shameful that they have taken that away from them.

The suits at the SFA know fine well there is no threat to Scotland losing it's place in any future tourney. They are scaremongering.

It is only a one off and a chance for young players to test themselves against the best in the world in their age group. Any young player would love to be involved.

It is shameful that they have taken that away from them.

What nonsense! I do not see any outcry from the Scottish public regarding the SFA's position. Many younger players would not wish to play for a GB team........believe me! The only shameful thing about this situation is that the media and UK Govt continue to stir up a decision taken with the support of the majority of the public and they continue to attempt to make as feel bad about the situation.

One solution let Scotland enter the Olympics under its own flag. There are many much smaller teams taking part in the Olympics! If we did, then LOTS of young Scots players would be involved. Please do not tell me that because we are such a small nation we would not win any medals. As you state it is being involved that matters!

This is the key point for me. People braying for a Team GB when never once before in their lifetimes did they give a toss about it.

You sound like you find it hard to deal with your Scottish identity and are rather insecure about something to do with Scotland

You sound like you find it hard to deal with your British identity and are rather insecure about something to do with Britain

Also, just because I live in a former country which is now controlled by a neighbouring one doesn't mean you lose your national

identity because the British government says you must feel British and prevent you from having Scottish passports.

Quite the contrary, I attach no value to anyone's place of birth, mine included. What difference does it really make? I am no more likely to get along with you than anyone else based on nationality alone and I most certainly don't understand why anyone should wish to be in anyway defined by their birthplace. 'I am Scottish'. Good for you, but what I'm interested in is are you a decent sort of person though or a total ******?

Don't think Beckham will stop at the football team. He's all out for the knighthood and lighting the flame at the opening.

He has been in pr overdrive this week. Suddenly every tv or radio show is getting a Beckham interview!

Team GB soccer is about cash and Adidas. Don't kid yourself its about anything else...

This is the key point for me. People braying for a Team GB when never once before in their lifetimes did they give a toss about it.

If it never happened nobody would have cared but it is going ahead now and it is spiteful stuff from the SFA. When the idea was first spoke of Craig Gordon was all for it.

UK Sportsmen and women from every other sport are able to get together, do their best and have some fun so our footballers should be allowed to as well. It is only a game. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

Yes, it's very interesting. An imperative has been drummed up where previously there was none. "We must have a team GB because it's the home of football"? Well, hardly. I doubt if any of the other countries gives a toss whether or not a British team competes in the football tournament.

Denny Crane's outstanding posts on this thread should tell us everything we need to know about the background to the debate on the participation of Scottish players in this tournament. It's a risk not worth taking.

The People's Chimp

Yes, it's very interesting. An imperative has been drummed up where previously there was none. "We must have a team GB because it's the home of football"? Well, hardly. I doubt if any of the other countries gives a toss whether or not a British team competes in the football tournament.

Denny Crane's outstanding posts on this thread should tell us everything we need to know about the background to the debate on the participation of Scottish players in this tournament. It's a risk not worth taking.

Agreed. Denny has it spot on.

Guest Dipped Flake

never watched an olympic football match in my life and I sure won't be changing that next year. It's just another sign that the olympics has lost it's soul and is just a money making exercise for the big companies.

Couldn't care a toss who plays for team GB, as long as no Scots are involved.

Archived