GB Olympic Football Team

Midloth_Iain

I view it the same as the British lions..

The last time they got together we had 2 Scot's in a 37 team squad....

I don't think any Scottish player would start a game for team GB and would be lucky to see 10 minutes of play!!!

Why would anyone from Scotland cheer on team GB?

Same reason I support the British Lions, because they are flying the flag. Supported them for the 2 Scots that were in it.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Denny Crane

They have signed letters of assurance form fifa that it wont so there will be no way FIFA can try to make this happen.

Why the hell have you got Michael Owen in a one of the wild cards he is mince! Surely Wayne Rooney would be a better option.

What Milky_26 said in relation to your opening sentence.

And I haven't a clue what your second sentence relates to in terms of any point I have made on this thread thus far.

Same reason I support the British Lions, because they are flying the flag. Supported them for the 2 Scots that were in it.

On a completely pedantic note, its actually the British & Irish Lions

Denny Crane

Their UNITED rugby team do pretty well. And there are a lot of Northern Ireland youths defecting south to get a sniff of competition. Right or wrong, they are doing it. Its why Northern Ireland's FA is worried over this more so than loosing their independent status.

Team GB is purely marketing. I remember reading at the time of the Beijing Olympics in 2008 that its purely marketing, nothing offensive, just easier to sell abroad.

I view it the same as the British lions..

The last time they got together we had 2 Scot's in a 37 team squad....

I don't think any Scottish player would start a game for team GB and would be lucky to see 10 minutes of play!!!

Why would anyone from Scotland cheer on team GB?

With regard to the Ireland rugby team and the Northern Ireland football team. Before partition, the IRFU was based in Dublin. Post-partition, there it still was. Those in the six counties chose for whatever reasons of their own not to form a Northern Ireland rugby team with players from the six counties eligible (which many have accepted) for the Irish team - many an Ulsterman with unionist beliefs have played for the Irish team - a recent UUP candidate by the name of Trevor Ringland springs to mind. Pre-partition, the IFA was based in Belfast. Post-partition, the Belfast based administration was within the UK state and carried on as before (albeit with the new name of Northern Ireland). The Irish Free State, later known as the Republic of Ireland, did not want any truck with the IFA and set up their own administration, the FAI.

Also, player pinching between the North and the Republic is not a recent phenomenon. It's been going on for a while. (I'm sure someone like Geoff et al could clarify this a bit better then I have)

As for the Lions rugby team.... not comparable and it irritates me when people use this comparison when proclaiming their support for Team GB.

Team GB is open for British citizens. The Lions draw upon players from two separate nations. The United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. For Olympic purposes, Great Britain and Northern Ireland cannot select athletes from a foreign country who are not in possession of a British passport. The IOC would not allow it. The Lions comparison is a non-starter.

It's funny how some folk can't read between the lines. I wonder how a united Team Ireland would do at Olympic Soccer? In fact, why don't Ireland just play as a united nation all the time? It's Team GB, NOT Team UK, after all. :thumbsup:

Why doesn't a United Ireland play all the time? I dunno, why is there no Team GB all the time?

If you're gonna troll, then you need to learn how to do it properly.

Patrick Bateman

Why doesn't a United Ireland play all the time? I dunno, why is there no Team GB all the time?

If you're gonna troll, then you need to learn how to do it properly.

If you're going to patronise, you might want to learn how to differentiate between a hypothetical question and a rhetorical one.

:ninja:

For that matter, I wasn't trolling. How would the Northern Irish react if the FAI suddenly declared it would select and field every single player of theirs. I mean, why would anyone want to play for Northern Ireland when they can play for the Republic and actually play in major tournaments? :ninja:

I'm loving all those 'international fitba is rubbish' types falling over themselves to back a Gb team to play in an irrelevant underage tournament during the football season.

One might almost suspect their motives.

If you're going to patronise, you might want to learn how to differentiate between a hypothetical question and a rhetorical one.

:ninja:

For that matter, I wasn't trolling. How would the Northern Irish react if the FAI suddenly declared it would select and field every single player of theirs. I mean, why would anyone want to play for Northern Ireland when they can play for the Republic and actually play in major tournaments? :ninja:

The FAI and IFA used to both freely select players from both sides of the border. The IFA tended to be more attractive because they would go to Hampden one year and Wembley the next so Ireland didn't just have a united team it had two of them.

The arrangement lasted into the 70s (I think) before FIFA insisted on something a bit more formal but even then with creative use of the grandparent rule for anybody whose grandparents were born in pre-partition Ireland the divide was fuzzy and with both associations happy to pick Englishman and Scotsmen they're unlikely to become shy of poaching from their neighbours

So it's a bit more complicated than you might have thought

Nonetheless your underlying point (that people from Northern Ireland aren't well placed to criticise others for wanting to maintain things that assert their distinctness from their larger southern neighbours) is a good one.

With regard to the Ireland rugby team and the Northern Ireland football team. Before partition, the IRFU was based in Dublin. Post-partition, there it still was. Those in the six counties chose for whatever reasons of their own not to form a Northern Ireland rugby team with players from the six counties eligible (which many have accepted) for the Irish team - many an Ulsterman with unionist beliefs have played for the Irish team - a recent UUP candidate by the name of Trevor Ringland springs to mind. Pre-partition, the IFA was based in Belfast. Post-partition, the Belfast based administration was within the UK state and carried on as before (albeit with the new name of Northern Ireland). The Irish Free State, later known as the Republic of Ireland, did not want any truck with the IFA and set up their own administration, the FAI.

Also, player pinching between the North and the Republic is not a recent phenomenon. It's been going on for a while. (I'm sure someone like Geoff et al could clarify this a bit better then I have)

As for the Lions rugby team.... not comparable and it irritates me when people use this comparison when proclaiming their support for Team GB.

Team GB is open for British citizens. The Lions draw upon players from two separate nations. The United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. For Olympic purposes, Great Britain and Northern Ireland cannot select athletes from a foreign country who are not in possession of a British passport. The IOC would not allow it. The Lions comparison is a non-starter.

Mo Farrah? Or does his recently attained UK citizenship cover that. Also the Sudanese basket ball player who plays in the USA but will play for the UK, how does that all work?

Denny Crane

Mo Farrah? Or does his recently attained UK citizenship cover that. Also the Sudanese basket ball player who plays in the USA but will play for the UK, how does that all work?

Mo Farah's father was from Hounslow so his son was eligible for a British passport on that basis when the Farah family settled back in the UK. I assume the basketball player you refer to is Luol Deng? If so, he gained his British passport in 2006 thus making him eligible.

I can't imagine many from the Republic of Ireland wanting a British passport. Nice try though.

Archived