Orkney Hotel

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

I am planning a short break to Orkney and as I have never been I would appreciate any hotel recommendations.

Not too fussy where as long as it is on the main isle. Its not a family break either.

Thanks in advance.

Could try some of these...Hotels in Orkney

I've stayed in the Standing Stones at Stenness on a football trip - very nice but a bit of a trek into Kirkwall.

I did stay in one of the Kirkwall ones on a rugby trip but I can't for the life of me remember which one :D - think it might've been the West End.

I'd imagine they're all fairly similar (the bigger ones anyway), though any Orcadian Jambos will no doubt put me right.

Carl Fredrickson

Thanks for the tips.

Ive done a lot of tinternet searches but havent come across the St Ola Hotel.

Enquiry sent.

I contacted the Standing Stones - the prices on their website differ greatly from those when I contacted them (I suppose "rooms from" is their get out)

Im looking forward to a lot of sight seeing and a few shandies in the evening.

BOOF - what was the West End hotel like? Ive read online reviews that arent recent that give a bad impression of it. It was the old hospital before a hotel. Did you stay there recently?

Cheers

Thanks for the tips.

Ive done a lot of tinternet searches but havent come across the St Ola Hotel.

Enquiry sent.

I contacted the Standing Stones - the prices on their website differ greatly from those when I contacted them (I suppose "rooms from" is their get out)

Im looking forward to a lot of sight seeing and a few shandies in the evening.

BOOF - what was the West End hotel like? Ive read online reviews that arent recent that give a bad impression of it. It was the old hospital before a hotel. Did you stay there recently?

Cheers

Been a few times. Loved it. I have family up there.

Very interesting place.

Sorry mate, I can't even remember if it WAS the West End Hotel we stayed at.

As it was a rugby trip we weren't exactly after afternoon teas and home bakes.

Whichever hotel it was (and I'll try and find out later today) I found it to be clean and comfortable. Bedroom was fine and breakfasts were fine too - no complaints from me.

No objections from them when I took my carry-oot tae breakfast the day after the game :D

Oh...yeah...October 2001.

The hotel might've been the one attached to Matchmakers...if that helps your search.

No-one else I've asked seems to remember but the consensus is that it was the Albert.

In which case no complaints from us.

Think the rugby lads have stayed in the Orkney and Kirkwall Hotels on recent trips - again pretty much of a similarity.

I would think if you're looking for unique features then any hotel that has them will probably have some bragging about them on their site.

So sorry, but no actual personal recommendations (apart from the Standing Stones, but that was 1982!!)

Enjoy your trip and remember....Shetland's only a ferry trip away :D

Carl Fredrickson

Enjoy your trip and remember....Shetland's only a ferry trip away :D

It is a short break but Shetland is on my radar for another trip!!!:fing10:

It is a short break but Shetland is on my radar for another trip!!!:fing10:

I'd recommend summer - it'll be between 2:30 and 3:45 on June 17th this year :D

But seriously gie's a shout when you're planning that one and I'll help any way I can.

I think the Albert Hotel is now the Orkney Hotel (could be wrong here it may be the new name for The West End Hotel). Worth trying is The Kirkwall Hotel and The Ayre Hotel although the Kirkwall is probably a bit more expensive.Also worth considering are The Lynnfield just on the outskirts of Kirkwall(next door to The Highland Park Distillery) and abit further out of Kirwall is The Merkister(best to have a car for this one) in a wonderful location on the shores of Harray Loch. I visit Orkney on a regular basis(I was born there and still have relatives there so am able to stay with them)and love the place and I am sure you will hav a wonderful time.

Carl Fredrickson

Thanks - still so much of this gorgeous country that I havent seen.

The weather doesnt really bother me - there is never bad weather, just wrong clothes!

I think the Albert Hotel is now the Orkney Hotel (could be wrong here it may be the new name for The West End Hotel). Worth trying is The Kirkwall Hotel and The Ayre Hotel although the Kirkwall is probably a bit more expensive.Also worth considering are The Lynnfield just on the outskirts of Kirkwall(next door to The Highland Park Distillery) and abit further out of Kirwall is The Merkister(best to have a car for this one) in a wonderful location on the shores of Harray Loch. I visit Orkney on a regular basis(I was born there and still have relatives there so am able to stay with them)and love the place and I am sure you will hav a wonderful time.

The Albert Hotel is now The Shore, recently refurbed, the local Hibs supporters club go there to watch TV matches, as I found out last time I was up (1-1 at Easter Road)

The Orkney Hotel is nice, the Kirkwall Hotel is okay (never stayed there though) The West End is a bit rough, I wouldn't go back there.

Last time I was up I stayed self-catering. The Grain Store, or Eastbank Cottages I stayed there, and would go back.

• 4 months later...
Carl Fredrickson
My cousin's boyfriend and/or his family run this hotel.

Its in Kirkwall. http://www.stolahotel.co.uk/

Orkney is a great place.

BTTT

Just back from Orkney - stayed at the St Ola Hotel and had a FAB time.

Orkney is amazing - and would highly recommend it for a break. I love the slow pace of things, awesome scenery and great hospitality

heartgarfunkel

Nice one Bagger, was up there Feb 2006 in the blizzards, stayed in the Orkney Hotel, had a fantastic time, fabulous place, great folk, VERY hospitable:)

Was in Shetland last week, superb, gorgeous weather Monday and Tuesday, the beaches, ahhh, sublime. LONG boat trip, only stopped moving on Saturday, even though I got back on dry land on Wednesday morning!:dribble:

Doctor FinnBarr

Stayed in the Barony Hotel near Birsay for a biker wedding, it was amazing, we had the dance floor of the function room bouncing so much it was hitting some people on the way down (as it came up) and propelling them even higher!

:)

Was in Shetland last week, superb, gorgeous weather Monday and Tuesday, the beaches, ahhh, sublime. LONG boat trip, only stopped moving on Saturday, even though I got back on dry land on Wednesday morning!:dribble:

Weather...funny stuff!! We've had a brilliant May - June started just as good. Don't be fooled into thinking that's typical though :D

I take it you were up on a short break type thing? Nice to hear you enjoyed it.

Don't suppose you'd fancy trying the boat trip in the winter....? :P

heartgarfunkel
Weather...funny stuff!! We've had a brilliant May - June started just as good. Don't be fooled into thinking that's typical though :D

I take it you were up on a short break type thing? Nice to hear you enjoyed it.

Don't suppose you'd fancy trying the boat trip in the winter....? :P

Was up visiting Anderson High School through the work Boof, great place, everyone was at pains to stress the weather is not usually that good!

The boat in winter must be mental, but I must say it's an excellent service, the bars, the food, all very good quality. Really enjoyed the experience.

Was up visiting Anderson High School through the work Boof, great place, everyone was at pains to stress the weather is not usually that good!

Crikey!! That's where I work! Proud owner of the only Hearts mug in the staffroom...though there are a couple more Jambos on the staff.

The boat in winter must be mental, but I must say it's an excellent service, the bars, the food, all very good quality. Really enjoyed the experience.

Winter sailings can be bloody awful, though they're tending to postpone some of the sailings that they used to travel in. Bars used to be open till 6am - not the best idea for a rugby team travelling :D

Archived