Tax Money - Help!

Del1812

I earned around ?3k this year in total while being taxed around ?6-700 in total.

I'm 21 and a student. Am I entitled to all or part of this tax back? If so, how do I go about getting it back and what do I need to present to them?

Anybody know? I was going to phone the inland revenue but wasn't sure which of the many numbers to choose from their website.

If you only earned ?3000 out of the whole financial year and no other income you will receive all your tax back. You will have to write to Inland Revenue with your original P60 from your current employer. You will recieve this shortly after 6 April 2008. Attatch a covering letter with it to explain that you are a full time student and this was your only employment from 6 April 2007 to 6 April 2008.. Take a photocopy of your original P60 before sending on to your Tax Office. To find out your Tax Office district this will be either on your P60 or your wage slip... or your payroll administrator will advise you at your current employment.

I earned around ?3k this year in total while being taxed around ?6-700 in total.

I'm 21 and a student. Am I entitled to all or part of this tax back? If so, how do I go about getting it back and what do I need to present to them?

Anybody know? I was going to phone the inland revenue but wasn't sure which of the many numbers to choose from their website.

You can earn up to ?5200 in the tax year as AB says send all docs to Your tax office.

If you only earned ?3000 out of the whole financial year and no other income you will receive all your tax back. You will have to write to Inland Revenue with your original P60 from your current employer. You will recieve this shortly after 6 April 2008. Attatch a covering letter with it to explain that you are a full time student and this was your only employment from 6 April 2007 to 6 April 2008.. Take a photocopy of your original P60 before sending on to your Tax Office. To find out your Tax Office district this will be either on your P60 or your wage slip... or your payroll administrator will advise you at your current employment.

Cheers, but there's a couple of problems.

1) I am currently not employed.

2) I had more than one job between April 07 to April 08

How would this effect what I have to do?

The fact that your not employed at the moment won't make any difference.

If your TOTAL earnings for the year is less ?5225 then you will get all your tax back.

vlad on the tyne
Cheers, but there's a couple of problems.

1) I am currently not employed.

2) I had more than one job between April 07 to April 08

How would this effect what I have to do?

FJ,

Send your original P45-1s/final payslips from all employments during 2007-08 (keep photocopies) with your P60 to your tax office. (to find out your tax district look out for the PAYE reference on your last P45 and quote the district numeral in your letter. The tax office need to know your employment history from 6 April 2007 to 31 March 2008.

oh and don't hold yer breath for the refund!

To get refund dealt with all in one go this is what to do.

Write a letter explaining what you have been doing from 6 April 2007 to 31 March 2008. Leave no gaps whether you have been claiming any benefits (example... claiming Job seekers allowance) or have been a full time student, put date of commencement and date of leaving for all employments you have worked for. Send all your original P45's and P60's you have received during theses dates, do not send wage slips as they are not accepted, if you have not received a P45 from any of your previous employers get a statement of earnings,their payroll administrators will assist you with this as it needs to be on headed paper from your employer.

MIND take photo copies.

You will get a refund if entitled to it..

Best of luck........

Very much appreciated lads. If I get this then I should be fine to finish Uni without getting a new job before I go to Ibiza.

Archived