Scotland World Cup Qualifiers.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

For anyone who's interested.

Sat Sept 8 - Serbia (h); Tue Sept 11 - Macedonia (h); Fri Oct 12 - Wales (a); Tue Oct 16 - Belgium (a)

Fri Mar 22 - Wales (h); Tue Mar 26 - Serbia (a); Fri Jun 7 - Croatia (a) *9pm kick-off tbc*; Fri Sep 6 - Belgium (h); Tue Sep 10 - Macedonia (a); Tue Oct 15 - Croatia (h)

If we can't qualify from that group, I fear we never will.

I think that's the toughest group we've had in a while. Everyone can beat each other. Don't fancy our chances a bit.

I think that's the toughest group we've had in a while. Everyone can beat each other. Don't fancy our chances a bit.

Whilst Croatia are a very good side, they are no world beaters, i think we do have a chance simply because for the first time in a while, we have no certain run away winner i.e (Spain, Holland, Italy, France, Germany etc)

If we can't qualify from that group, I fear we never will.

:what:

That group is very, very tough.

Croatia & Serbia are regular qualifiers for tournaments, Belgium have some of the best up and coming youngsters in Europe, and Wales are in great form and have some top players, as well as a habit for cuffing us!

True there is no stand out team in the group but there is not one easy match.

Chad Sexington

It's a strange group. One with no minnows and one where we are capable, on our day, of beating every other side. We're also capable of losing every game though. :blink:

Seems to be a decent set of fixtures though. Two home games to start gives us a chance to get some momentum going.

Sexton Hardcastle

Wales away should be decent.

Hopefully they play it at the Millenium stadium. Plenty of jocks in kilts to tarnish the reputation.

Chad Sexington

Wales away should be decent.

Hopefully they play it at the Millenium stadium. Plenty of jocks in kilts to tarnish the reputation.

Hopefully we get a dodgy penalty in the last few minutes to sicken them again.

:jjyay:

I wouldn't say the TOUGHEST, but certainly ONE of the toughest anyway.

Every single one of those teams, bar maybe Macedonia, are improving LOADS! But even when we were in the world's top 20 we couldn't get a win in Skopje.

I really don't like people being overly negative, but we will have to fight REALLY hard to get through this group, and not throw away STUPID points like we tend to do all too easily.

Only one saturday game :seething: .

TBH I would prefer one team to be the outright favourites,ie,Spain,and let us play for second place,it's a group where I doubt anyone could predict the winner off.

Francis Albert

That group is very, very tough.

Croatia & Serbia are regular qualifiers for tournaments, Belgium have some of the best up and coming youngsters in Europe, and Wales are in great form and have some top players, as well as a habit for cuffing us!

True there is no stand out team in the group but there is not one easy match.

We tend to struggle in "easy matches".

Croatia A on 7th June is not ideal, especially as the SPL and EPL seasons will probably finish 2- 3 weeks before then, but at least two of our last three are at home. We will probably have to win our last three to qualify.

Francis Albert

Whilst Croatia are a very good side, they are no world beaters, i think we do have a chance simply because for the first time in a while, we have no certain run away winner i.e (Spain, Holland, Italy, France, Germany etc)

That was my reasoning. Recently we have in practice always been playing for second place. In a group where every team can beat any of the others, at least there are two available places that could lead to qualification.

The Old Tolbooth

Exactly FA, which is why I like the look of this group, no easy games for Scotland and everyone is capable of taking points from everyone else, I can realistically see this group going right down to the wire with 3 or possibly 4 teams in with a shout come the last game, I just hope we're one of them :lol:

Whilst that may be true, I doubt our results against better teams are superior to our results against worse teams overall.

Sat Sept 8 - Serbia (h); Tue Sept 11 - Macedonia (h); Fri Oct 12 - Wales (a); Tue Oct 16 - Belgium (a)

Fri Mar 22 - Wales (h); Tue Mar 26 - Serbia (a); Fri Jun 7 - Croatia (a) *9pm kick-off tbc*; Fri Sep 6 - Belgium (h); Tue Sep 10 - Macedonia (a); Tue Oct 15 - Croatia (h)

ace, that'll be a very long weekend off work methinks - a cheeky Friday/Saturday night out in Cardiff, then off to the land of Stella. :)

CL a tactical genius, i see Scotland scoring for fun and picking up points in all games,no negativity whats so ever :rolleyes:

If we have any ideas about qualifying from that we should be heading into 2013 with at least 9 points. The first two games are very winnable at home and we should be looking to beat Wales.

I'm quite pleased with how the fixtures have turned out. It's nice to see us start and finish with a home game. Croatia away will be tough, but a later kick off might mean it's a bit cooler than Macedonia was.

Those clowns should never have agreed to those Friday night home kick-offs. It will be murder getting the train home - they had better extend the trains until 2am!

If we have any ideas about qualifying from that we should be heading into 2013 with at least 9 points. The first two games are very winnable at home and we should be looking to beat Wales.

How on Earth should be looking to beat Wales? As it stands, they are much better than us. A year down the line, they could be EVEN BETTER than we are!

Remnants of Standards

ace, that'll be a very long weekend off work methinks - a cheeky Friday/Saturday night out in Cardiff, then off to the land of Stella. :)

This is only a week after my 40th. Hmmmm. :thumbsup:

How on Earth should be looking to beat Wales? As it stands, they are much better than us. A year down the line, they could be EVEN BETTER than we are!

If we actually have any thoughts about qualifying we need to be beating the teams in the pots below us. Im not saying we will, thats just the results we need to be getting if we are going to have a chance in this group.

A few folk on here and in my social circles saying this is an easy group....these people are a mile out of touch with current international football! This group is solid. The home games are always important but looking at our group we will most likely need to win 4 and draw the other. We will need to be strong defensivly in every game home and away which I fear will in the end be our downfall. If I remember correctly 2 teams go straight through no play offs?

A few folk on here and in my social circles saying this is an easy group....these people are a mile out of touch with current international football! This group is solid. The home games are always important but looking at our group we will most likely need to win 4 and draw the other. We will need to be strong defensivly in every game home and away which I fear will in the end be our downfall. If I remember correctly 2 teams go straight through no play offs?

Totally agree.

When you look at the defences of a couple of the teams in our group they're among the best in international football. Particularly Serbia with Vidic and Ivanovic and Belgium with Vermaelen and Kompany as their potential centre back partnerships.

Chad Sexington

Totally agree.

When you look at the defences of a couple of the teams in our group they're among the best in international football. Particularly Serbia with Vidic and Ivanovic and Belgium with Vermaelen and Kompany as their potential centre back partnerships.

Vidic has retired from international football but I agree with your point.

SFA and Croatian FA to approach Fifa to ask if they can play the game in Croatia closer to the end of the domestic season, rather than 7th June.

Wales will beat us twice.

Every team is better than us accept Maccedonia.

No chance.

We aren't good enough.

Drylaw Hearts

A repeat of the classic Wales v Belgium match. Mouthwatering.

I'm going to record this to DVD and keep it in a safety deposit box.

Just in case.

kingantti1874

I get the impression people on here want Scotland to fail, and want Scotland fans to Misbehave... Very old firm like wankerish mentality if you ask me...

We are one or 2 players away from having a very good team.

Wales are massively reliant on Bale. The guy is worldclass but I think we have much better depth and quality in our squad overall. I reckon we can take at least 4 points off them. Serbia are decent at times but nothing to be afraid of, they've only won 2 out their last 10 and those were against the Faroes and Norn Iron whereas we've won 6 out our last 10. Belgium have some great players and could potentially win the group if they click but as yet they haven't shown they can play as a team. We have a chance IMO but winning our home games is the key. Well that and Levein finding a set of knackers.

A huge effort could see us going down to Wales with 6 points. A huge effort though.

If that is the case, Scotland will be jumping with anticipation - which would be nice to see.

A huge effort could see us going down to Wales with 6 points. A huge effort though.

If that is the case, Scotland will be jumping with anticipation - which would be nice to see.

Yep. Arguably our two most winnable fixtures. Any less than 4 points puts us right on the backfoot.

Belgium worry me. Our competitive record against them is a disaster, even with good Scotland teams.

I get the impression people on here want Scotland to fail, and want Scotland fans to Misbehave... Very old firm like wankerish mentality if you ask me...

We are one or 2 players away from having a very good team.

Perhaps there is from some, but I think most are realistic about the National Team as it is and this group in particular. There are some out there who think all we need to do is turn up and we'll skoosh the group, saying things like 'well Croatia and Serbia arent what they used to be', 'Macedonia are just a wee diddy nation and Belgium are honking' and 'Wales are pretty guff'. Newsflash for those people - you could not be further from the truth.

As for one or two players away from having a very good team? I dont see it, especially when we have a core in our defence which, when we really look at it, is a bit mince (and having a goalie who becoming more and more likely to make a mistake) and we have a distinct lack of creativity in the midfield which has gotten worse with the injury to the wee cheat Naismith. Unless Levein changes his tactics and some personnel, those concerns will continue.

Yep. Arguably our two most winnable fixtures. Any less than 4 points puts us right on the backfoot.

Belgium worry me. Our competitive record against them is a disaster, even with good Scotland teams.

Daniel Van Buyten.

:(

Daniel Van Buyten.

:(

Christ, that was a low moment. almost as low as hearing the teamsheet for the game in Brussels, with 6 defenders playing.

RoussetsShorts

We'd have a good chance if we got real fans who cared about results and not a bunch of skirt wearing wantaways who couldny care less about the result.

We'd have a good chance if we got real fans who cared about results and not a bunch of skirt wearing wantaways who couldny care less about the result.

Genius mate. Skirts. Lolz

They have some cracking young players coming through, but we may just get them in the qualifying campaign before they start fulfilling their undoubted potential. They drew 0-0 with Azerbaijan a few months back so they've still got plenty room to improve (hopefully not for a few years yet!).

Think the fixtures look about as good as they could've been, especially the first few. Half days and big sessions for the Friday home games plus a weekend bender in Cardiff sounds good to me! :woot:

They have some cracking young players coming through, but we may just get them in the qualifying campaign before they start fulfilling their undoubted potential. They drew 0-0 with Azerbaijan a few months back so they've still got plenty room to improve (hopefully not for a few years yet!).

Think the fixtures look about as good as they could've been, especially the first few. Half days and big sessions for the Friday home games plus a weekend bender in Cardiff sounds good to me! :woot:

They are less than the sum of their parts, so far anyway. But we've lost every game we've played in Belgium. Even Kenny Dalglish at his very best couldn't stop us from losing there.

Therapist???

Would this be the same 'wantaways' that cheered the team onto memorable home and away victories vs France? Or those that turn up in their thousands to watch the team even when qualification hopes have gone? Those that are reknowned the world over for their good behaviour, hospitality and friendliness? Those that are frequently allowed into the home end at away games?

Some people don't like the TA, fine. But does it have to be brought up in EVERY thread about Scotland??

RoussetsShorts

Therapist???

Would this be the same 'wantaways' that cheered the team onto memorable home and away victories vs France? Or those that turn up in their thousands to watch the team even when qualification hopes have gone? Those that are reknowned the world over for their good behaviour, hospitality and friendliness? Those that are frequently allowed into the home end at away games?

Some people don't like the TA, fine. But does it have to be brought up in EVERY thread about Scotland??

Yes, i am sure folk overseas love thousands of 40 year old balding fatties pissing in their streets, falling about drunk, singing do a deer endlessly, making no effort with language, populating irish bars and not giving a shit about the result. Truly wonderful ambassadors and not at all embarrasing. Did i mention kilts and Timby boots, the single biggest fashion atrocity in history.

Armadale Jambo

Yes, i am sure folk overseas love thousands of 40 year old balding fatties pissing in their streets, falling about drunk, singing do a deer endlessly, making no effort with language, populating irish bars and not giving a shit about the result. Truly wonderful ambassadors and not at all embarrasing. Did i mention kilts and Timby boots, the single biggest fashion atrocity in history.

You are entitled to your opinion, however your view on the TA is pretty much wide of the mark for the vast majority of the boys who travel.

I think we might need some facts, figures and dates to back that sweeping brainless stereotypical statement up???

Archived