New 5 year contract with Sky/ESPN for the SPL

Jezza

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not his biggest fan by any means, but Pressley's comments about this are spot on. In 5 years, I'll be surprised if there aren't more teams following Dunfermline's lead and closing stands off because of lack of fans/funds.

Neil Doncaster is a complete fud.

I thought the 1st Division was/is reasonably competative this and last season at least.

And with Raith taking several Hearts U19's to blood as well as I'm sure other teams having SPL youngster also.

Maybe we don't need 16.18 team divisions, just a more level playing field, which currently anyway seems to some extent exist in the 1st division.

Edit to add,

I've just looked at the tables, between the second top and second bottom clubs, on points, in the 1st division the difference is 7 points, in the 2nd division it's 8 points, in the SPl it's 16 points.

Between the top and bottom clubs, 1st Div is 16 points, 2nd Div is 17 points, SPL is 27 points.

I wonder how the prize funds in the SFL are divided between the winners, 2nd place and the rest?

More a case of there being a greater equality between budgets and parity in squads (maybe with exception of Ross County and Hamilton) but then again the way the others play they would do as well as Dunfermline and Caley in the SPL.

I think this smacks of panic from Neil Doncaster. Really a case of him going shit, no SPL sponsor, the cups are struggling for sponsors, so lets sod reform and go with a poor system but tv money. Sad but true. The death of interesting and competetive football in Scotland happened years ago, but its now pretty much beyond repair with this. In 5 years time, the SPL clubs will be playing to tiny crowds. Struggling to pay wages, whilst the OF slog it out. I just can't see how it wrks for all. But if the OF is happy, then maybe an idea should be an Old Firm league between the 2 of them....

for me the really galling thing is that, assuming rangers come first, then the ?2mil is about 5% of their income. Should motherwell finish third then it would be close to %20 of their income. The system is not set up to make sure the OF get rich, it just there to keep the other clubs as poor as possible.

You have hit the nail on the head.

Not his biggest fan by any means, but Pressley's comments about this are spot on. In 5 years, I'll be surprised if there aren't more teams following Dunfermline's lead and closing stands off because of lack of fans/funds.

Neil Doncaster is a complete fud.

Agreed. Pressley has gone back up slightly in my estimation with his comments. Just a shame he seems to be the only person to have come out and slated this disgraceful new sky deal. It annoys me that Doncaster will think he is some sort hero securing this deal when the truth is that he is a cancer within Scottish football who needs to be ousted asap.

5 years of the same old guff. Definately wont be going to any away games anymore (other than the derby).

The fact he's said that the Old Firm have to not only be in the league but also need to be in the same side of the split in the league to honour the commitment of four games a season should be enough to tell you that Scottish football is a massive scam.

The marks willing to pay for this deserve all they get.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The fact he's said that the Old Firm have to not only be in the league but also need to be in the same side of the split in the league to honour the commitment of four games a season should be enough to tell you that Scottish football is a massive scam.

The marks willing to pay for this deserve all they get.

I am amazed that more has not been made of that one actually... Sure they are probably always (massively overwhelming odds on them) going to finish there anyway but the subtle difference is that the entire 5 year TV deal is built upon it... I mean seriously...

jamboinglasgow

I am amazed that more has not been made of that one actually... Sure they are probably always (massively overwhelming odds on them) going to finish there anyway but the subtle difference is that the entire 5 year TV deal is built upon it... I mean seriously...

I would love it if at the weekend, each set of supporters at the the non-old firm sides, had banners saying something like "Dear Sky and Doncaster, we are in this league too." or something like, "we are the laughing stock of Europe and you have just continued the jokes." Or "Sky, believe in worse (competition in the league.)

I might be wrong but does the english premier league not get about ?500 million a season?

I might be completely naive about this but should we not get, based on population and subscribers

ten percent of that? Maybe then we could compete with the lower league teams in England for players

and our league would improve. :huh:

I might be wrong but does the english premier league not get about ?500 million a season?

I might be completely naive about this but should we not get, based on population and subscribers

ten percent of that? Maybe then we could compete with the lower league teams in England for players

and our league would improve. :huh:

Sky sports is show all over the planet,by your reckoning China should get about 70%.

You pay for the quality.

jamboinglasgow

Sky sports is show all over the planet,by your reckoning China should get about 70%.

You pay for the quality.

And how do you get quality? Money, and where do you get this money? Through big TV Deals. And How do you get big TV deals? From a quality league...repeat forever.

for me the really galling thing is that, assuming rangers come first, then the ?2mil is about 5% of their income. Should motherwell finish third then it would be close to %20 of their income. The system is not set up to make sure the OF get rich, it just there to keep the other clubs as poor as possible.

Exactly!

Set up to guarantee that the OF got into the Champions League. Unfortunately for those leeches, UEFA have moved the goalposts!

There is some irony in the fact that a major factor in downgrading Scottish qualification is the poor performance of other Scottish clubs, kept "poor" by their greed!

The difference between coming first and third is about ?400'000,not much really.

The difference between coming first and third is about ?400'000,not much really.

way to miss the point :thumbsup:

Sexton Hardcastle

A boy on twitter was posting how in comparison to the Belgian and even Romanian league, we have been well an truly shafted.

Romanian worth 29m per year

Belgian 51.6

SPL 16m

Feckin pathetic.

Francis Albert

Do Sky/ESPN have any say in the distribution? It would be in their interests for it be more even, as it would at least marginally increase the chances of better quality and more competitive games. In 2005/06 Hearts games were for a spell attracting higher audiences than games involving the OF, which suggests to me that the TV companies would benefit from more competition, and the SPL therefore would get more TV money. Eveerone just seems stuck in the mindframe that the OF is and always will be the be-all and end-all, which is in effect restricting the audience for Scottish football to OF fans. Interest level in England for Scottish football certainly perked up when Hearts briefly looked as if the might upset the duopoly.

A boy on twitter was posting how in comparison to the Belgian and even Romanian league, we have been well an truly shafted.

Romanian worth 29m per year

Belgian 51.6

SPL 16m

Feckin pathetic.

Without the OF we would get even less money from the tv deals.

From WIKI - League of Ireland clubs are obliged to accept and cooperate with the television rights, negotiated by the FAI. The 10 clubs competing in the Premier Division received an equal share payment of ?20,000 during the 2009 season, while an additional ?35,000 was set aside to compensate clubs with six or more fixtures selected for live television broadcast, or four or more live television fixtures held on nights other than Friday.

Archived