Moments from the Romanov era

Coco

Now that the Romanov-era is seemingly coming to a close, time for some instant history with the photographic record of his time at Hearts - good or bad.

To start: One of my favourite moments and what must be the best ever 'Scarf round the head' photo call:

0,,10289~3091138,00.jpg

Now that the Romanov-era is seemingly coming to a close, time for some instant history with the photographic record of his time at Hearts - good or bad.

To start: One of my favourite moments and what must be the best ever 'Scarf round the head' photo call:

0,,10289~3091138,00.jpg

That boy was pony!!!!

I'll get my coat.............

William H. Bonney

So THAT'S where that's from.

Had always wondered about that.

:D

Until viewing that video I had no idea the picture used on here is romanov. I thought it was paul o'grady!

0,,10289%7E9221212,00.jpg

Thanks Coco. Kello has been a good 'keeper for Hearts, but the way he carried himself that day was wonderful. It'll be a year tomorrow since Jim died. I can honestly say there are very few people outside my family and friends whose passing has affected me in the way his did.

RoussetsShorts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/aug/18/russia.tomparfitt

A Soviet submarine involved in a notorious accident which threatened to trigger nuclear war has been saved by its former cook, just weeks before it was due to be scrapped.

Vladimir Romanov, now a multi-millionaire businessman, wants to turn the K19 into a museum. Mr Romanov, who owns Edinburgh's Hearts football club, snapped up the nuclear craft - made famous in a Hollywood film starring Harrison Ford - from a wrecking yard in northern Russia. He plans to get it moved to a berth in Moscow.

K19: The Widowmaker, featuring Ford as the submarine's captain, told the story of its crew, eight of whom perished from radiation exposure after a heroic intervention to stop the vessel's nuclear reactor exploding after a malfunction.

The accident took place off the coast of North America, raising fears that Washington might misinterpret any blast as a pre-emptive strike.

Mr Romanov, a Russian based in Lithuania, served on the submarine as cook several years after the accident in 1961.

"This vessel is very dear to my heart," he told the Guardian. "I wanted to rescue it for world history as a symbol of those heroes who prevented a third world war."

Alexander Nikishin, a historian who is leading the project, said the submarine would be repaired before transportation to Moscow. Inside the sub will be exhibits on its history and a club for submariners. He said the project would cost more than $1m (?530,000).

Viktor Strelets, 66, who was an electrician on the K19 at the time of the accident, said he was delighted it had been saved. "The crew wanted this for many years but we couldn't find a sponsor," he said.

Archived