Luis Suarez charged

The Merse

I honestly hate the panto like rage attached as soon as the term "racist" is used. If he used any kind of racist language and is found guilty he will be punished. The level of hysteria that rears its ugly head, at the mere hint of racsim is beyond laughable. He didnt stand in Evra's back garden wearing a white hood, swinging a noose and burning a cross, he "allegedly" made a stupid remark. The fact that in spanish and especially in Uruguay, the term "*****" is used much in the same way as mate or dude should be taken into account.

I honestly hate the panto like rage attached as soon as the term "racist" is used. If he used any kind of racist language and is found guilty he will be punished. The level of hysteria that rears its ugly head, at the mere hint of racsim is beyond laughable. He didnt stand in Evra's back garden wearing a white hood, swinging a noose and burning a cross, he "allegedly" made a stupid remark. The fact that in spanish and especially in Uruguay, the term "*****" is used much in the same way as mate or dude should be taken into account.

:lol:

Spot on with the username at least. You and Sepp Blatter good mates?

There's no hysteria. If he used racist language, he should be punished as you say. No ones debating that.

The fact it's used in Uruguay in a different way doesn't matter. He's spent 3 years in Holland so should know it's not an acceptable term to use in Europe.

The Great Khali

I also like his point about Evra not being an excellent footballer. That's just talking nonsense.

I don't like Suarez, but I appreciate the fact he's a quality player.

Not denying Evras a good player mate but not many strikers in the premier league are better than Suarez, aside from Rooney and Aguero.

Where-as there are plenty of left backs id rather take than Evra . Clichy, Kolarov, Gibbs. Enrique, Cole (who's worse than Saurez and Evra put together IMO)

And also yes it is obviously possible to be racially abused more than once, but remember, it was found to be not totally true at Chelsea.

At least wi the J Terry thing if he gets found guilty there is more, If not conclusive, evidence for him to be charged.

kingantti1874

Not denying Evras a good player mate but not many strikers in the premier league are better than Suarez, aside from Rooney and Aguero.

Where-as there are plenty of left backs id rather take than Evra . Clichy, Kolarov, Gibbs. Enrique, Cole (who's worse than Saurez and Evra put together IMO)

And also yes it is obviously possible to be racially abused more than once, but remember, it was found to be not totally true at Chelsea.

At least wi the J Terry thing if he gets found guilty there is more, If not conclusive, evidence for him to be charged.

I don't think I've seen any strikers miss as many chances in the epl as Suarez, had him in my FFL, he is overrated - I think now teams have worked him out as well, just stand of him and don't let him turn you... Swansea took him out the game last week... He is however better than Andy Carroll

Evra is getting past it now TBH but 2 years ago he was the best in the epl and still better than Gibbs, cliche, kolarov. Enrique is decent but not defensively

The Great Khali

I don't think I've seen any strikers miss as many chances in the epl as Suarez, had him in my FFL, he is overrated - I think now teams have worked him out as well, just stand of him and don't let him turn you... Swansea took him out the game last week... He is however better than Andy Carroll

Evra is getting past it now TBH but 2 years ago he was the best in the epl and still better than Gibbs, cliche, kolarov. Enrique is decent but not defensively

Suarez only scored 4 on friday for Uruguay. And also to be fair in the games against Norwich and Swansea, both keepers pulled off saves that no keeper should be making haha. Craig Gordon at Easter Roadesque!

Can't disagree more re. Evra. The only player from the ones you've listed I'd take over him is Ashley Cole.

And the incident at Stamford Bridge was not proven, which is very, very different from not being true.

J Cheever Loophole

Can't disagree more re. Evra. The only player from the ones you've listed I'd take over him is Ashley Cole.

And the incident at Stamford Bridge was not proven, which is very, very different from not being true.

And there's me thinking that was a quaint wee Scottishy thingy.

The Great Khali

Fair enough mate Re the Stamford Bridge incident.

As for Evra I really think Clichy Is superb. Evra was a fantastic player no question, but he is not the player he once was. No-where near it.

kingantti1874

Suarez only scored 4 on friday for Uruguay. And also to be fair in the games against Norwich and Swansea, both keepers pulled off saves that no keeper should be making haha. Craig Gordon at Easter Roadesque!

How many has he scored for Liverpool? Hes a good player but he missed more chances than he takes

The Great Khali

7 goals this season... Granted it could have been twice that but still not bad. 5 or 6 assists or somethin to.

I think hes scored somethin like 17 goals in 36 appearances for Uruguay.

And was his last season at Ajax not some stupid goal tally? 40 goals or something.

Hope the horrible ***** gets a very lengthy ban. Racist, Scummy cheating *******. The only player that rates higher on my *****-o-meter than "Wee Naisy".

suarez_bite.jpg

You're rating quite high on mine right now.

:lol:

Spot on with the username at least. You and Sepp Blatter good mates?

There's no hysteria. If he used racist language, he should be punished as you say. No ones debating that.

The fact it's used in Uruguay in a different way doesn't matter. He's spent 3 years in Holland so should know it's not an acceptable term to use in Europe.

Yawn.

Gregory House M.D.

You're rating quite high on mine right now.

Just how i like it. :verysmug:

Patrice Evra is one of the best left backs in Europe, not that it's of any relevance to this matter.

Suarez might well be one of the best forwards in the Premiership, but he's a horrible little shitebag into the bargain.

The Old Tolbooth

Maybe he does? :huh: Don't see the relevance unless you think I'm a Man U fan which I'm not.

Ha ha, I wasn't fishing AP, I just threw it in there :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Literally the worst excuse ever.

As someone living in South America, Negrito is very common and not used in a racist way. Also Black people are called ***** in Spanish because ***** means..... Black. Some people also use the term "che *****" to refer to talk to people, Translated it means "hey black" but is just a "fashionable" way of saying hey. (che guevara's name wasn't che it was Ernesto. Che is what portenos use to say hey, its rarely used in the rest of south america so when che went on his travels he got the nickname due to using "che" all the time.)

They also call people gordito which basically means little fatty, also in a "non offensive" way.

Although in Argentina local corner stores are also usually called Chinos, due to the Chinese people running them.....That i find racist.

Also Uruguay has a great history with black people and it really isn't a racist society. They actively celebrate things like Carnival and have their own style of "historically african" drumming.

In much the way that someone asked a while back "why does Argentina not have black footballers?" They all moved to Uruguay/Brazil. When they were freed the vast majority of them left Argentina and moved to Uruguay and Brazil where they had more opportunities.

Uruguay is pretty forward thinking when compared to other south american countries, i think they were the first country here to legalise divorce and i think they gave women the vote around the same time as the UK too. They are rated the 2nd least corrupt country in south america and Uruguay was the first South American country to legalize same-sex and different-sex civil unions at a national level, and also allow gay adoption.

Yawn.

Great response. Basically, you're aware you've been out-thought, and can't think of a decent counter argument. So you'll make it look like you can't be bothered.

As someone living in South America, Negrito is very common and not used in a racist way. Also Black people are called ***** in Spanish because ***** means..... Black. Some people also use the term "che *****" to refer to talk to people, Translated it means "hey black" but is just a "fashionable" way of saying hey. (che guevara's name wasn't che it was Ernesto. Che is what portenos use to say hey, its rarely used in the rest of south america so when che went on his travels he got the nickname due to using "che" all the time.)

They also call people gordito which basically means little fatty, also in a "non offensive" way.

Although in Argentina local corner stores are also usually called Chinos, due to the Chinese people running them.....That i find racist.

Also Uruguay has a great history with black people and it really isn't a racist society. They actively celebrate things like Carnival and have their own style of "historically african" drumming.

In much the way that someone asked a while back "why does Argentina not have black footballers?" They all moved to Uruguay/Brazil. When they were freed the vast majority of them left Argentina and moved to Uruguay and Brazil where they had more opportunities.

Uruguay is pretty forward thinking when compared to other south american countries, i think they were the first country here to legalise divorce and i think they gave women the vote around the same time as the UK too. They are rated the 2nd least corrupt country in south america and Uruguay was the first South American country to legalize same-sex and different-sex civil unions at a national level, and also allow gay adoption.

I have no doubt that it is used in a non-offensive way in Uruguay. But what Suarez should know is that it deosn't neccessarily have the same meaning here. And as I said before, having lived in Holland I seriously doubt he wasn't aware of this. He also used it in one of the most heated games of the football calendar, I think knowing full well how his opponent would react in an already highly charged environment.

Black people can refer to each other in terms that are accepted, but if a white person were to use them it would be termed completely racist. If you're point about Suarez using "negrito" is true then it's a similar situation.

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that he knew fine well that Evra would take offence at being called this and said it anyway in the hope it would wind Evra up to the extent he'd be booked or sent off, with Suarez knowing he could play the "it's not offensive in Uruguay" card if caught.

Really disappointed in Suarez, such an amazing talent ruined by being such a cheating wee *****. I think it was against Swansea (and probably every other match) he was spending more time trying to win penalties than play the game, absolutely despise the rat.

This thread is laughable.

I hate him.

I love him.

I hate him.

I love him.

The whole race issue has taken a back seat here. People are just looking for something to try and taint his name further, I highly doubt he cares.

An issue here is the farcical way the FA is handling this situation. If they really want to clamp down on racism in football, this should have been dealt with in the days after the match, show it is a priority.

The bodies that run football are a joke right the way through the World. They have little to no understanding of the game.

I hate him.

I love him.

I hate him.

I love him.

The whole race issue has taken a back seat here. People are just looking for something to try and taint his name further, I highly doubt he cares.

An issue here is the farcical way the FA is handling this situation. If they really want to clamp down on racism in football, this should have been dealt with in the days after the match, show it is a priority.

The bodies that run football are a joke right the way through the World. They have little to no understanding of the game.

Totally agree with the bit in bold. Eric Cantona attacked a fan in the middle of a game - he's still a legend. Suarez bites someone - he's a cretin.

I'm pretty sure that being racially abused more than 10 times would've got more of a reaction from Evra at the time than it actually did. Instead, kissing the badge at the Kop seemed more of a priority to him. Also, it was him that was trying to cheat by diving about to win a free kick in that game - nobody has mentioned that yet.

Patrice Evra is the rat here, he's got his 'previous' for allegations made against people and it came to nothing.

I hate him.

I love him.

I hate him.

I love him.

Bang on the money. The Man U/Liverpool love/hatefest is ridiculous and some (not all) posters on here are halfwits for trying to outdo each other on how much they hate Suarez/Evra.

I don't have any particular feelings towards either of them, they're both decent enough players but are both arseholes on the pitch. If Suarez was racist towards Evra he deserves to have the book thrown at him, if he's proven not to have been racist then it needs to be forgotten about.

This is all very convenient for Terry IMO.

Bang on the money. The Man U/Liverpool love/hatefest is ridiculous and some (not all) posters on here are halfwits for trying to outdo each other on how much they hate Suarez/Evra.

I don't have any particular feelings towards either of them, they're both decent enough players but are both arseholes on the pitch. If Suarez was racist towards Evra he deserves to have the book thrown at him, if he's proven not to have been racist then it needs to be forgotten about.

This is all very convenient for Terry IMO.

It's all a bit Old Firm if you ask me.

Well suppose that's the nature of the beast when glory hunters talk about "their teams".

Seymour M Hersh

It's all a bit Old Firm if you ask me.

Well suppose that's the nature of the beast when glory hunters talk about "their teams".

Say's the thread starter. Irony not your strong point then.

Totally agree with the bit in bold. Eric Cantona attacked a fan in the middle of a game - he's still a legend. Suarez bites someone - he's a cretin.

I'm pretty sure that being racially abused more than 10 times would've got more of a reaction from Evra at the time than it actually did. Instead, kissing the badge at the Kop seemed more of a priority to him. Also, it was him that was trying to cheat by diving about to win a free kick in that game - nobody has mentioned that yet.

Patrice Evra is the rat here, he's got his 'previous' for allegations made against people and it came to nothing.

Try looking beyond your love for Suarez, this isn't about his cheating, it's about whether or not he racially abused another player.

Aye, Eric kicked a fan who abused him, like many people would do if they received the same kind of abuse in the street. He was a fiery character who let his temper get the better of him. You wouldn't go up and bite someone though, would you? Because that's just pyschotic and downright bizarre :blink:

Evra might well have previous for claiming he's been racially abused, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened here.

Oh, and people might take you more seriously if you stopped your constant whataboutery to deflect from the main issue here.

Malcolm Tucker

Luis Suarez is an absolute dick of the highest, highest order, and a terrible human being.

Fixed that mate.

Don't really have thoughts one way or the other about either of them but like anything else, surely it has to come down to context? I haven't seen the incident but were they being chummy at the time? If not, chances are the context it occurred in might be the best way to determine which specific meaning of the word "negrito" he was aiming for. If it was intended to be derogatory then it would appear to be a fair cop. The only understanding I have of the word is that when used between friends it's like a nickname or a term of endearment sort of idea, but other than that.... I dunno....

Either way, seems Evra wasn't keen on the nickname given to him in this situation. I s'pose that says a lot.

Try looking beyond your love for Suarez, this isn't about his cheating, it's about whether or not he racially abused another player.

Aye, Eric kicked a fan who abused him, like many people would do if they received the same kind of abuse in the street. He was a fiery character who let his temper get the better of him. You wouldn't go up and bite someone though, would you? Because that's just pyschotic and downright bizarre :blink:

Evra might well have previous for claiming he's been racially abused, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened here.

Oh, and people might take you more seriously if you stopped your constant whataboutery to deflect from the main issue here.

I totally agree, and I'm completely behind him, but it just annoys me that some people presume that he's done this based on his 'previous' when nothing has been proved yet.

As for your defence of Cantona - if every fan that got abuse during a game done that... just imagine. He's meant to be a role model and one of the worlds greatest players, and people seem to just blank out the wrongs he done because of who he is. I'm not condoning the Suarez 'bite' incident for a second, but it just shows that even the biggest characters and the best players can crumble under pressure and do things they will later regret e.g. Cantona. After all, emotions would have been high as it was a Ajax v PSV game. He's also not the first big name to bite/attempt to bite another professional (Mike Tyson, Jermain Defoe).

I totally agree, and I'm completely behind him, but it just annoys me that some people presume that he's done this based on his 'previous' when nothing has been proved yet.

As for your defence of Cantona - if every fan that got abuse during a game done that... just imagine. He's meant to be a role model and one of the worlds greatest players, and people seem to just blank out the wrongs he done because of who he is. I'm not condoning the Suarez 'bite' incident for a second, but it just shows that even the biggest characters and the best players can crumble under pressure and do things they will later regret e.g. Cantona. After all, emotions would have been high as it was a Ajax v PSV game. He's also not the first big name to bite/attempt to bite another professional (Mike Tyson, Jermain Defoe).

Yeah, and Mike Tyson is a good example to use in your case :laugh:

Emotions run high in all derby games, but that doesn't mean that biting someone is common place or any less messed up. Suarez has shown a complete lack of respect towards his fellow professionals in the past, and if it turned out that he'd done it again, then I wouldn't be all that surprised.

Not saying he has said it, but I doubt the FA would have charged him if they didn't have something other than Evras word against him.

Great response. Basically, you're aware you've been out-thought, and can't think of a decent counter argument. So you'll make it look like you can't be bothered.

I have no doubt that it is used in a non-offensive way in Uruguay. But what Suarez should know is that it deosn't neccessarily have the same meaning here. And as I said before, having lived in Holland I seriously doubt he wasn't aware of this. He also used it in one of the most heated games of the football calendar, I think knowing full well how his opponent would react in an already highly charged environment.

Black people can refer to each other in terms that are accepted, but if a white person were to use them it would be termed completely racist. If you're point about Suarez using "negrito" is true then it's a similar situation.

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that he knew fine well that Evra would take offence at being called this and said it anyway in the hope it would wind Evra up to the extent he'd be booked or sent off, with Suarez knowing he could play the "it's not offensive in Uruguay" card if caught.

Cheers for the laugh, the breath taking arrogance attached to that post is beyond belief. Out thought?? Its simplistic pish. I fully understand your point, I find it boring and tedious. I have a hatred towards the way in racism is treated as a subject that should invoke mass hysteria. True racism, I mean the hatred of another person based soley on the colour of their skin colour is an indefensible ignorance that should be stopped and rightly condemed.

This is not what has happened here IMO, as you say above, Suarez may have used it as a way to wind up Evra and it should be taken in that context, that doesnt make him racist. I am willing to bet you that players have said by far worse to each other and the argument that Black people can say this highly offensive word yet should a white person say it, "Whoa, he said what?" is a complete and utter load of nonsense to me. You say that he played in holland and as yet I havent heard of any accusations of racism when he was there and there are many black players over there.

Lets say that he used the term in the way he is accustomed and saw Evra's reaction, he then decides to noise him up a bit, I would say the bigger problem lies with Evra and his desperation to take it for something it wasnt. Its amazing he kept his racism under wraps until now and also not one other player has came out and accused him of doing it in the past. Its a storm in a tea cup being blown out of all proportion due to the drama thats attached to the mere hint of racism. I expect that you and the majority on here will disagree, in the end, does it matter?

As much as I like folk being raging arseholes about a player they "hate." :jjyay:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15764900.stm

Evra made his claims immediately after the match and was quoted as telling French TV station Canal Plus: "There are cameras, you can see [suarez] say a certain word to me at least 10 times."

Suarez told Uruguayan media earlier this month (8th Nov): "There is no evidence I said anything racist to him. I said nothing of the sort.

"There were two parts of the discussion, one in Spanish, one in English. I did not insult him. It was just a way of expressing myself. I called him something his team-mates at Manchester call him, and even they were surprised by his reaction."

So...why has it taken 4 weeks?

:look:

Cheers for the laugh, the breath taking arrogance attached to that post is beyond belief. Out thought?? Its simplistic pish. I fully understand your point, I find it boring and tedious. I have a hatred towards the way in racism is treated as a subject that should invoke mass hysteria. True racism, I mean the hatred of another person based soley on the colour of their skin colour is an indefensible ignorance that should be stopped and rightly condemed.

This is not what has happened here IMO, as you say above, Suarez may have used it as a way to wind up Evra and it should be taken in that context, that doesnt make him racist. I am willing to bet you that players have said by far worse to each other and the argument that Black people can say this highly offensive word yet should a white person say it, "Whoa, he said what?" is a complete and utter load of nonsense to me. You say that he played in holland and as yet I havent heard of any accusations of racism when he was there and there are many black players over there.

Lets say that he used the term in the way he is accustomed and saw Evra's reaction, he then decides to noise him up a bit, I would say the bigger problem lies with Evra and his desperation to take it for something it wasnt. Its amazing he kept his racism under wraps until now and also not one other player has came out and accused him of doing it in the past. Its a storm in a tea cup being blown out of all proportion due to the drama thats attached to the mere hint of racism. I expect that you and the majority on here will disagree, in the end, does it matter?

I'm sorry, but like you say I disagree with that completely.

If Suarez has said it to wind Evra up it's racist. If Suarez has used it in a different context, then realised it was insulting to Eavra and used it again then it's also racist. The fact that he played in Holland where here are a lot of black players make me think even more he knew exactly what he was doing, if he did indeed say what is being alleged, which as yet isn't clear. It is quite possible Suarez is completely innocent, but I maintain that I find it highly unlikely a black player would suggest he was racially abused if he wasn't. If this is what Evra has done then he deserves to have the book thrown at him.

The point about the words black people use to each other, that are considered racist if used by a white person is a different arguments that has been debated in The Shed before. I don't agree with it, a word should either be racist or not in my opinion, and I know a lot of black people who think the same about these words.

I'm not one for the media's approach to most issues, but with racism I think it's justified. The game has made huge strides to eradicate it from the game. If we start saying "it's OK, he was only doing it to wind him up" we're starting down a dangerous path.

Archived