Paul McBride QC

Rudy T

Stupid Sexy Flanders

You wouldn't be surprised? This means you haven't actually heard it or you would have said so

Let's be clear on this, Hibs fans may have their faults but I've never heard any IRA songs from their ranks.

If we're going to have a go at Hibs, can we keep it to things that are actually factually accurate?

He said he would be surprised, not wouldn't.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Marky,

I agree that I have not heard any recently. However see if JT1874 is my age or older then he very likely does remember them singing that shit.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is singing Pro IRA songs really any worse than celebrating the death of a man who died of cancer? Or racially abusing Rudi Skacel?

Don't think so.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Partridge,

No, is it ****. I wonder if Larry 'looky-looky man' Kingston, Christian 'Fat Eddie Murphy' Nade or Rudi "******* refugee' Skacel feel better about themselves when getting pelted with lighters and shit because the particular thing they are being slated for has **** all to do with the particular religious background of their family?

A good statement from Hibs there. Utter no marks like Paul McBride should not be allowed a platform to sling their muck.

Hibs fans may have song other unsavory songs in recent years, but the statement isn't about that. Well done to them for not allowing themselves to be dragged down to levels of Celtic proportions.

He said he would be surprised, not wouldn't.

Ooops - misread

Apologies to Jam Tarts 1874

A good statement from Hibs there. Utter no marks like Paul McBride should not be allowed a platform to sling their muck.

Hibs fans may have song other unsavory songs in recent years, but the statement isn't about that. Well done to them for not allowing themselves to be dragged down to levels of Celtic proportions.

The Hibs statement talks about how there are no sectarian or offensive songs sung by the Hibs support.

That is just complete and utter pish.

The Hibs statement talks about how there are no sectarian or offensive songs sung by the Hibs support.

That is just complete and utter pish.

To the easily-offended, all things are offensive.

Without using the "f" word (f debates are not allowed) "we" (real fans) don't "fly them".

The fact that Hibs were started by a particular Catholic congregation more than a hundred years ago is in no way offensive; it's just history. Most Hibs fans I know suffer from all kinds of delusions but none believe their club to represent one side of a sectarian divide.

To the easily-offended, all things are offensive.

Without using the "f" word (f debates are not allowed) "we" (real fans) don't "fly them".

The fact that Hibs were started by a particular Catholic congregation more than a hundred years ago is in no way offensive; it's just history. Most Hibs fans I know suffer from all kinds of delusions but none believe their club to represent one side of a sectarian divide.

Real fans. :laugh:

We have a British heritage, I fail to see the difference.

Anyway, I must be easily offended then because I found their celebrations of Mr Mercer's death infront of his grieving family pretty poor. If you didn't then fair enough real fan.

Phaul McBride may have got the offence wrong but he's not wrong in implying the Hibs support is vermin.

You wouldn't be surprised? This means you haven't actually heard it or you would have said so

Let's be clear on this, Hibs fans may have their faults but I've never heard any IRA songs from their ranks.

If we're going to have a go at Hibs, can we keep it to things that are actually factually accurate?

Sorry mate but I have heard them chant this. Long time ago (70s). Certainly not been heard in recent times.

Maybe you were not at the games when this happened.

southside1874

Oh dear, the guy falls into that old nonsense that we all think and act like one of the weegies. Celtic and Rangers have marketed themselves on sectarianism for years and they think everyone else is either one way or the other. As soon as they accept that their marketing has created a load of nonsense in our football the sooner we can deal with the problem.

The songs about the legend that was A. Wallace Mercer are indeed a disgrace but I can't recall the Hobo's singing about the IRA.

They may have done in the past but I don't recall it in my time attending football.

Have to say that I'm pleased that McBride also resigned from the Scottish Conservatives as that's one less thing that I have in common with him. :thumbsup:

Colonel Kurtz

Sorry mate but I have heard them chant this. Long time ago (70s). Certainly not been heard in recent times.

Maybe you were not at the games when this happened.

I recall that we had some who sung a bit of the sash,and Derrys Walls {although my personal fav was Dollys Brae}and they had some who sung the first verse of Dublin in the Green.

Hibs supporters stopped when the troubles started as did Hearts in the main.

Hibs backed Hearts proposal to the then 10 team league that Celtic be forced to take down The Tricolour,to be successful this required that the 2 team veto did not happen,ie Celtic needed one team to side with them to defeat the motion.

The vote was 8-2 in favour..guess which team did not back the motion and sided with Celtic..Old Firm right enough

More concern3d with their mutual marketing of bigotry than a priciple

For some reason I flicked over the real radio about half hour ago. Some tool from the weedge was on saying that hearts fans are the worst in Scotland for offensive and sectarian singing. I almost crashed my car !!

Although there was another Green weedge on who did made a decent point. I almost crashed my car again. LOL !!

He stated that when away from home their chanting of IRA stuff is in the majority. Whilst at home it is in the minority. Fair comment in my opinion.

Hibs fans haven't sung any of that pish since the early 80's.

McBride is an absolute mod edit but unfortunately we can't take the moral high ground with him as we still have 40 or 50 ramjets who still do sing the saucy lines of Hello Hello.

Hibs ought to be demanding a full apology.

Real fans. :laugh:

We have a British heritage, I fail to see the difference.

Anyway, I must be easily offended then because I found their celebrations of Mr Mercer's death infront of his grieving family pretty poor. If you didn't then fair enough real fan.

Phaul McBride may have got the offence wrong but he's not wrong in implying the Hibs support is vermin.

Hard to argue with any of this.

Sectarian vermin, they may not be, but they're filth none-the-less.

Quite frankly it's the BBC who should be getting taken to task for this pish - they are the ones giving McBride the air time well knowing that his views to most outside Glasgow are offensive to say the least. We'll never be rid of sectarianism here until the media start acting is a reasonable and equitable manner. Just now it seem that they actually enjoy stoking the fires and then standing back and dishing out blame. The BBC were well aware that McBride would be less than balanced in his views and that he would try and psuh the blame for celtics problems onto other people. That being the case why give him the air time?

i wish jj was my dad

I heard some of McBride last night and was raging that he brought Hearts and Hibs into this debate.

We have a small contingent of bigots and if I'm honest I can't remember listening to any of that junk from Hibs fans for at least 20 years.

At least he was condemning bigotry through. I was unfortunate enough to hear that pair of tubes from Real Radio imply that nobody supports the anti bigot bill. DJ in particular suggests that people are too easily offended. He said TV viewers should turn the sound down if they didn't like what they were hearing.

Being an old person of 41 I remember the Hibs Kids at school with Bobby Sands pictures on their bags and signing IRA songs on school trips. So yes Hobos have previous when it comes to IRA chants.

If they've stopped doing it then good but they're not innocent.

I haven't heard them sing any IRA shite at a derby for the best part of 20-25 years.

There are still about half a dozen or so tri-colours in their end each time they play us but they never sing any of that shit.

This guy is part of the problem - he's rent-a-quote for those who want to defend Celtic by attacking others. His influence on Scottish life has become odious. Personally I think the media should be responsible and stop giving him the mouthpiece and perhaps even the Law Society of Scotland should be looking at his behaviour from the professional disrepute angle.

Being an old person of 41 I remember the Hibs Kids at school with Bobby Sands pictures on their bags and signing IRA songs on school trips. So yes Hobos have previous when it comes to IRA chants.

They may have sung IRA songs 25 years ago but that doesn't mean that they aren't innocent now. I think that is a long enough period for it to be fair to claim that it is no longer a problem at Hibs. They've sung other songs such as the Skacel one but in terms of this type of thing Hearts are worse although it is a small minority and any claims that we are the worst club for sectarian singing are absolutely ridiculous.

southside1874

Does Paul McBride have any connection to Celtic or is he just a loud mouth fan that is not representative of most fans unless the reaction to his comments rack up some emotion within the Celtic support as his comments surely create some reactions.

The guy was in the Tory party and the Tory party has always has a pro UK bias. His comments are enough to stimulate a pro UK flag waving culture. I doubt his intentions are really more than keeping the UK together.

The problem will never go away in Scotland while fans of club sides use their club as a vehicle for nationalistic tendencies - whatever that nation may be.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was just left to the OF but there are fans across Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen especially who just can't leave it alone and concentrate on supporting their own team.

southside1874

The problem will never go away in Scotland while fans of club sides use their club as a vehicle for nationalistic tendencies - whatever that nation may be.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was just left to the OF but there are fans across Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen especially who just can't leave it alone and concentrate on supporting their own team.

Thats all we need.rolleyes.gif

Isn't it strange that there were at least 3 teams formed by Irish catholics yet we only have one where the vast majority of its supporters put Ireland before Scotland despite most being born and living here. :whistling:

We could probably cure Scotland's bigotry issue by closing down one team (HMRC will do the other in) :thumbsup:

southside1874

Isn't it strange that there were at least 3 teams formed by Irish catholics yet we only have one where the vast majority of its supporters put Ireland before Scotland despite most being born and living here. :whistling:

We could probably cure Scotland's bigotry issue by closing down one team (HMRC will do the other in) :thumbsup:

Its not strange at all when yo put it into perspective. Its a colonial attitude of divide and conquer that has led to this and its the most populous area that has been used. If Celtic fans had an ounce of sense and realised that their actions have led to the british government staying complete instead of the Union Flag that they hate becoming obsolete then they would be kicking themselves. Do you think the idiot QC tory is not doing this for a reason? Do you not think our big neighbour that is England need our energy supply so therefore have fueled this whole nonsense from the start?

I think we owe Paul McBride an apology. He actually said he'd heard IRA chants at Hibs. Obviously he was meaning from the Celtic fans in the away end.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think we owe Paul McBride an apology. He actually said he'd heard IRA chants at Hibs. Obviously he was meaning from the Celtic fans in the away end.

Nah... Sod that fir a gemme sojers, he can away and stick nettles up his japseye. :thumbsup:

Colonel Kurtz

Maybe the Bobby Sands photo was on the bairns piece bag and they were being ironic.

I heard the NI assembly were going to use BS as the face of their anti obesity drive this winter.

It doesn't matter if every other club did it or not.

If you are driving along the motorway at 100mph and the police nab you for speeding, it's irrelevant that another 10 drivers were doing 90. You'd be done for speeding and that you could not deny. As a lawyer you'd think he'd enough nous to know that - unless of course he's deliberately trying to deflect attention which is a little unprofessional and irresponsible.

There was an interview late last night on STV news with Michael Kelly. The Celtic Trust woman who has been fairly controversial apparently refused to participate, on the basis there was nothing really to debate. Basically he was at odds with the government, and continually referred to Alec Salmond by his surname (no love lost there.). The thrust of his argument was, that no matter how offensive the chants/songs might be the perpetrators have the right of freedom of speech,and therefore should not be criminalized.He did admit to finding some songs, offensive as do the majority of Celtic Fans, but then went on to distinguish between the different IRA organisations and the old Irish ballads of yesteryear, which in comparison to Flower of Scotland was pretty tame.Now I like a few Scottish and Irish ditties but what I cant get my head round is the relevance to a Saturday Football match. Sadly I don't think this issue is ever going to subside, and I am now coming round to the view that it would be best if the gruesome twosome did find another league somewhere else. Maybe then the game could be properly marketed and might attract a wider family audience.

Seymour M Hersh

Maybe the Bobby Sands photo was on the bairns piece bag and they were being ironic.

I heard the NI assembly were going to use BS as the face of their anti obesity drive this winter.

How would those half-wits know what irony is?

There was an interview late last night on STV news with Michael Kelly. The Celtic Trust woman who has been fairly controversial apparently refused to participate, on the basis there was nothing really to debate. Basically he was at odds with the government, and continually referred to Alec Salmond by his surname (no love lost there.). The thrust of his argument was, that no matter how offensive the chants/songs might be the perpetrators have the right of freedom of speech,and therefore should not be criminalized.He did admit to finding some songs, offensive as do the majority of Celtic Fans, but then went on to distinguish between the different IRA organisations and the old Irish ballads of yesteryear, which in comparison to Flower of Scotland was pretty tame.Now I like a few Scottish and Irish ditties but what I cant get my head round is the relevance to a Saturday Football match. Sadly I don't think this issue is ever going to subside, and I am now coming round to the view that it would be best if the gruesome twosome did find another league somewhere else. Maybe then the game could be properly marketed and might attract a wider family audience.

I watched that as well Ian. Unbelievable and probably one of the reason's I'm less inclined to get angry with McBride - for the moment anyway.

Re your comment about them moving away, let's make no 2 bones about it. They will want their cake and eat it.

They will seek

- Reserve teams in Scotland

- Full team participation in League and Scottish Cups*

Indeed I wouldn't be suprised that they wouldn't look to the golf/tennis ranking model where more points are offered dependent on the difficulty of opposition.

*i.e - 1 point in EPL = 2 SPL; 1 in Championship = 1.5 SPL - 1 Div2/3 = 1.

These would offer opportunities to be Scottish representation in Europe.

We are stuck with them. Simple.

Tokyo Drifter

What McBride said was true: he's heard the Hearts version of the Billy Boys song sung at Tynecastle, including the offensive line. Who hasn't? And Rangers Lite is a common enough phrase where Hearts are concerned. It's a fair cop.

I watched that as well Ian. Unbelievable and probably one of the reason's I'm less inclined to get angry with McBride - for the moment anyway.

Re your comment about them moving away, let's make no 2 bones about it. They will want their cake and eat it.

They will seek

Indeed I wouldn't be suprised that they wouldn't look to the golf/tennis ranking model where more points are offered dependent on the difficulty of opposition.

Them retaining a reserve team Colin would even see me calling it a day.

They will seek

Except they wouldn't be allowed to do this.

Rules pertaining to ownership of clubs would exlude this.

See Ken Bates when he owned Chelsea and tried to buy Partick Thistle.

What seems to be lost in this whole argument by Mcbride is the fact that if no action is taken then the future participation of both OF in European competition will be in serious jepordy. If uefa/fifa were not bothered by it I realy doubt the government would be trying to push through some ill thought out bill. Celtic games at Tynie brings out the worst element of our support unfortunately but for anyone to suggest we are the worst in Scotland is ludicrous. As for Hibs, who gives a **** what they sang 30 years ago they DO NOT sing it now and if they did Hearts fans would let them know about it. Personally I think they should be looking to do this **** for slander.

Its not strange at all when yo put it into perspective. Its a colonial attitude of divide and conquer that has led to this and its the most populous area that has been used. If Celtic fans had an ounce of sense and realised that their actions have led to the british government staying complete instead of the Union Flag that they hate becoming obsolete then they would be kicking themselves. Do you think the idiot QC tory is not doing this for a reason? Do you not think our big neighbour that is England need our energy supply so therefore have fueled this whole nonsense from the start?

But as I was pointing out in my post why is it only Celtic fans that behave in this manner. Plenty people of Irish descent support the other teams formed by Irish catholics but they don't even have a minority behaving like Celtic fans do.

Re your comment about a QC the man is full of his own self importance.

Makes me wonder how Hibs have managed to completely eradicate it but we haven't been able to?

they done it quite easy, they signed crap players & crap managers, played compleatly shan fitbaw, drove the fans away, hence no fans no bigots? simples really if you think about it :D

As soon as the OF get backed into a corner they join forces and try to blame everyone else for their own actions. They try and bring the other clubs down to their level and punt the blame on to them.

The IRA was a proscribed organisation if my memory is correct. Thatcher banned them from the airwaves. On that basis i would say singing in support of said organisation is , to say the least , offensive. In fact, that is the whole point of it all.

Some points from my perspective, having been in Scotland this week and read and watched at first hand (rather than relying on JKB) :

it's being bandied about that Celtic will get fined ?40k by UEFA as , in the view of much/most of the media , Celtic have done all they can in relation to this problem.

The Record then says Strathclyde police (who are quoted) actually admit there is nothing they can (will ?) do IN Parkhead ie the usual crap about 'public order' being threatened if they ever have the balls to actually arrest anyone for IRA chanting. This is effectively what L&B said about Celtic fans bringing tricolours to Tynecastle a few years ago when Hearts fans were being ejected for bringing UJs into the stadium. So we have a situation where the police in Scotland can't or won't do anything for fear of public disorder (more fear of being embarrassed , I'd say) regarding Celtic fans (or a significant section thereof) BUT Celtic have done everything they can to eradicate the problem ?

Strathclyde police then go on to say they want a meeting with the Green Brigade (GB have refused to meet them previously ?). If this was a disorderly public house would the polis be asking the punters for a meeting - probably not. But for some reason GB is being treated with kid gloves by the police in Glasgow.

Finally is there anyone on JKB who can clarify :

are the SFA/SPL getting it in the neck for their tardiness in dealing with the Celtic V Hobos match - which occurred some time before the UEFA match ?

The anti bigotry organisation which put Rangers in the dock last time around are accusing this lot of only acting after UEFA arrived on the scene re the Rennes match.

Archived