Paul McBride QC

Rudy T

Anyone hear him last night on Radio Scotland?

Debate was about Celtic's pending case with UEFA - but still managed to drag Hearts and Rangers into the debate - and unbelievably accused the Hibs fans of signing Pro-IRA songs, I have no love for the lochend flair masters but seriously their fans have been many things over the years but pro-ira I've never heard it - they should take him to task over this.

He accused us of being Rangers-Lite in our singing - no mention of minorities just plain and simple Hearts Fans are just as bad type comments and its not a west coast problem, not all wrong I agree, but how can we expect this problem to be sorted when a QC plays the we do cause they do it card.

This pish will never stop as long as both sides portray themselves as the victim, rather than stand up and take responsibility for the actions of their fans. People like McBride need to stop stoking the flames, although that'll never happen because his club thrives on having something to be aggrieved about. :down:

For a highly intelligent man he comes out with some absolute rubbish at times. His comment about Hibs fans singing pro-IRA songs says it all. Maybe I'm deaf but in all my years watching Hibs that is one thing they just do not do. I assume he wasn't at Tynecastle in May when about 90% (not a small minority) of the Celtic fans were singing pro-IRA stuff.

wonderful piece of work by a qc, I hope I never have to call on his services, his arguement being 'we dae it coz the bad boys make us dae it' truely wonderful litigation. <_<

People brought up in the west or weegieland cant see anything other than in terms of Rangers and Celtic and all the sectarian baggage that goes with it.They cant see that things could be different elsewhere ie if there is a "catholic" team in a city then the other team must by definition be a protestant team.I say that as someone who started supporting Hearts 50 odd years ago when living in the city of my birth -Glasgow.

People brought up in the west or weegieland cant see anything other than in terms of Rangers and Celtic and all the sectarian baggage that goes with it.They cant see that things could be different elsewhere ie if there is a "catholic" team in a city then the other team must by definition be a protestant team.I say that as someone who started supporting Hearts 50 odd years ago when living in the city of my birth -Glasgow.

:spoton:

Sometimes it's hard to rise above the playground noise of

"you said (naughty word), I'm telling"

"well I'm going to tell that you did (naughty thing)"

"but my (naughty thing) isn't nearly as bad as your (naughty word)"

"you're just like your big cousin"

And so on ad tedium.

Unfortunately, the behaviour of a minority of Hearts fans makes it possible for the McBrides of this world to stay stuck in the playground. We/they unwittingly (or wittingly, which is worse) let him off the hook.

Unfortunately also, merely by referring to something that is true (some Hearts fans sometimes sing sectarian songs) I'll probably get criticised.

Colonel Kurtz

:spoton:

Mcbride has recently packed in as the Scottish Tories legal advisor after falling out with the new bird who looks like A young Susan Boyle.

He and others like him are furious that the Celtic IRA fest is being viewed in the same legal terms as Rangers bigotry..most sane people view them as diffrent ends of the same turd, but not Mcbride.

For instance if the adjective Fenian is seen as offensive under law..The Pat Mccourts fenian army breeches the law.

Anyone hear him last night on Radio Scotland?

Debate was about Celtic's pending case with UEFA - but still managed to drag Hearts and Rangers into the debate - and unbelievably accused the Hibs fans of signing Pro-IRA songs, I have no love for the lochend flair masters but seriously their fans have been many things over the years but pro-ira I've never heard it - they should take him to task over this.

He accused us of being Rangers-Lite in our singing - no mention of minorities just plain and simple Hearts Fans are just as bad type comments and its not a west coast problem, not all wrong I agree, but how can we expect this problem to be sorted when a QC plays the we do cause they do it card.

A Hearts fan emailed into sportsound asking what songs then Mcbride changed his mind, saying he was wrong Hearts (I was thinking hes going to back track however went on to mention the hearts support sing full on Rangers songs quoting the line in Hello Hello.

He could n't wait to drag us into the discussion and like you say no mention of a small minority but I suppose until we totally clean up our act we will get dragged into this.

Overall I thought Mcbride was a bit more balanced than he normally is. He seems to think the new bill/laws will help solve the problem.Mcbride was even critical of Celtic (first time I've heard him speak against them).

Although his claim that only 500 or so celtic fans in the green mob sing ira songs does not quite match up to what we all see and hear when they play at tynie.

The problem runs much deeper with both sides of the OF. Both have had wonderful opportunities (Celtic with the UEFA issue and Rangers with the U21 goalie) to take the moral high ground by saying that such behaviour is unacceptable at our club and anyone found breaching this will be banned for life or sacked.

Yet, funnily enough, neither have taken this step. I wonder why? Perhaps too worried about offending their core customer base?!

For a highly intelligent man he comes out with some absolute rubbish at times. His comment about Hibs fans singing pro-IRA songs says it all. Maybe I'm deaf but in all my years watching Hibs that is one thing they just do not do. I assume he wasn't at Tynecastle in May when about 90% (not a small minority) of the Celtic fans were singing pro-IRA stuff.

I've heard the Hobo's singing up the ra before the last time I was at Easter Road which was the 1-0 defeat where Fletcher scored that looping header.

The conduct of the Hearts fans ay the next Derby at EasterRoad will determine how completely Rangers we are; Rangers-Lite; or free from anything associated with Rangers.

At the last game it was Rangers lite - with only a rendition of hello, hello - that was still followed through by a very laudible 'up to our knees in fnn blood'

Celtic / Rangers deflect from them by saying other clubs are involved. Hearts/Hibs deflect back by saying we aren't the main perpetrators (sp).

If people want the SFA/SPL to clamp down harder, we are going to have take the consequences.

Unless the numbskulls could just zip it for a change.

stirlingshirejambo

I've heard the Hobo's singing up the ra before the last time I was at Easter Road which was the 1-0 defeat where Fletcher scored that looping header.

Nonsense

not heard that sung at Easter Road in nearly 30 years of going there

hibs used to sing pro-IRA songs in the 70's. I would be surprised if they are still at it.

they do but it is only a small number of them (but then as their crowds go down the percentage rises)

Footballfirst

For instance if the adjective Fenian is seen as offensive under law..The Pat Mccourts fenian army breeches the law.

Depends on the usage. e.g. if we had a chant about David Obua's black army, that wouldn't be offensive, but if someone called David Obua a black b******, then that would be offensive. The same goes for Fenian.

they do but it is only a small number of them (but then as their crowds go down the percentage rises)

Whatever the faults of the Hibs fans, I can't say I've ever heard any that stuff from them.

Jam Tarts 1874

Right, I hadn't personally heard them in recent years. I think it would be extremely bad news if things went back to being what they were like back in the 70's, so many people got pissed off with it back then that they stopped going.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I am so sick of this utter schyster being treated like and quoted as if he is some kind bastion of truth and justice in Scotland. Some of his pish utterly reeks of partizan Celtic-minded denial and deflection and yet he still gets a mic and keyboard thrust in front of him with a lisence to deflect and defend the justified criticism that his club's fans continue to court through their despicable and sectarian actions.

In short he is a Celtic apologist ***** and the press should stop treating him like some kind of neutral and fair voice of concern and authority.

Footballfirst

I am so sick of this utter schyster being treated like and quoted as if he is some kind bastion of truth and justice in Scotland. Some of his pish utterly reeks of partizan Celtic-minded denial and deflection and yet he still gets a mic and keyboard thrust in front of him with a lisence to deflect and defend the justified criticism that his club's fans continue to court through their despicable and sectarian actions.

In short he is a Celtic apologist ***** and the press should stop treating him like some kind of neutral and fair voice of concern and authority.

He's not the most poular person around Celtic Park these days as he supports the Scottish Government's Sectarian Bill.

That's "Oh ah **** the Hearts" I've heard that when being in the Hibs end at hospitality, it's never RA. Their own would rip into that if it happened in the home end, been there enough to see other chants being clamped on.

Also said many times on here, I know Paul McBride and have been in his company many times, he's actually really sound.

This is why I don't spend any time listening to/reading anything from those shitehawks.

Scottish football is at it's lowest ebb, but instead of portraying the Old Firm as the bad guys in all this, they're giving sanctimonious bellends like McBride airtime to portray Celtic as some sort of victim.

These arseholes and the arseholes in the media are welcome to one another.

Both hearts and hubs should sue that gobshite.

Why do the old firm always need to bring someone into it, it's pathetic.

The problem runs much deeper with both sides of the OF. Both have had wonderful opportunities (Celtic with the UEFA issue and Rangers with the U21 goalie) to take the moral high ground by saying that such behaviour is unacceptable at our club and anyone found breaching this will be banned for life or sacked.

Yet, funnily enough, neither have taken this step. I wonder why? Perhaps too worried about offending their core customer base?!

Not just the clubs in question, but also the media. Why aren't they asking those sorts of questions to the clubs involved?

jamboinglasgow

He's not the most poular person around Celtic Park these days as he supports the Scottish Government's Sectarian Bill.

Yup, the old firm fans have been incredibly riled by this bill, its about the only thing (officially) that they agree on is that they are against it.

A Hearts fan emailed into sportsound asking what songs then Mcbride changed his mind, saying he was wrong Hearts (I was thinking hes going to back track however went on to mention the hearts support sing full on Rangers songs quoting the line in Hello Hello.

He could n't wait to drag us into the discussion and like you say no mention of a small minority but I suppose until we totally clean up our act we will get dragged into this.

Overall I thought Mcbride was a bit more balanced than he normally is. He seems to think the new bill/laws will help solve the problem.Mcbride was even critical of Celtic (first time I've heard him speak against them).

Although his claim that only 500 or so celtic fans in the green mob sing ira songs does not quite match up to what we all see and hear when they play at tynie.

don't we only give them 500 tickets for Tynecastle? :o

Fozzyonthefence

Mcbride usually spouts pish as far as I'm concerned but these quotes on BBC Sport seem a bit more sensible:

QC Paul McBride has urged Celtic to take sactions against members of its Green Brigade section of fans who continue to glorify the IRA in song.

McBride, who has advised Celtic manager Neil Lennon, was reacting to news that Uefa is investigating alleged "illicit chanting" by the club's supporters.

"The particular organisation who tend to be involved singing this are called the Green Brigade," said McBride.

"Education has not worked and now it is time for sanctions."

European football's governing body in April fined Celtic's city rivals, Rangers, ?35,000 and banned their fans from their next away European game for sectarian singing in a match against PSV Eindhoven.

Now Celtic face an 8 December hearing over chants reported by Strathclyde Police's match commander at their Europa League game against Rennes on 3 November.

Continue reading the main story

Peter Lawwell will be angry that the club's otherwise excellent reputation is being diminished by this kind of activity and I think we'll see fairly firm action over the next few weeks from the Celtic board

Paul McBride QC

"To be fair to Celtic, they do have, generally, a very good reputation with their fans in Europe," said McBride about the club he supports.

"But we can't ignore the fact that, for a number of years, there have been a small section of the Parkhead crowd who sing songs about the IRA and the provisional IRA and they dress it up by saying that it's political and not religious and it's not sectarian.

"But it misses the point entirely. It is offensive.

"What do you say to a 10-year-old child who asks his father why people are singing about killers at a football game?"

While McBride pointed out that the case against Celtic on this occasion had yet to be proven, he expected that it would result in tougher action from chief executive Peter Lawwell.

"Celtic, on the face of it, may have a case to answer and it may well be that, as it is the first time it has been drawn to Uefa's attention, they will be simply given a warning," he said.

"But it's a warning shot to Celtic that they will have to deal with it as an issue.

"To be fair to Peter Lawwell, he has been doing that for the last couple of seasons.

"He has been discussing it with their so-called leaders, I am not sure their leaders are actually in control of all of them, but he has been discussing it with them.

"He has been making it clear publicly and privately, he doesn't want this kind of activity and, in a crowd at Celtic Park of say 58,000, we are talking about no more than 500 people.

Continue reading the main story

The extent of the problem we have seen in Glasgow has been around for years and years, but it's only in the last 12 months that the authorities have really begun to get their heads around it

Piara Powar

FARE executive director

"So it can be done and I think, Peter, he won't be embarrassed, he will be angry that the club's otherwise excellent reputation is being diminished by this kind of activity and I think we'll see fairly firm action over the next few weeks from the Celtic board

I'm not sure if the bit about only 500 fans out of 58,000 is correct, but if it is how is it that it becomes nearer 3,000 out of 3,500 at an away game?

At least he's admitting that the IRA chants are offensive, if not sectarian, although to be fair I don't think they are sectarian either but probably more offensive than most songs Rangers come out with.

Fozzyonthefence

Both hearts and hubs should sue that gobshite.

Why do the old firm always need to bring someone into it, it's pathetic.

Don't think we've got any grounds really - it would be quite easy for him to prove that Hearts(whether that's 3 or 300) fans sing sectarian songs. If, however, he's accusing Hibs of unfounded "up the RA" chants it would be quite amusing to see them take legal action against him.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Yeah, he backs anti-sectarian laws and then points out Celtic's offensive songs are not sectarian... Struggling to work out why I should be conratulating the guy to be honest??

Hibs fans should rightly be upset about that. They don't sing IRA songs. A number of them sing about people dying of cancer etc, but no IRA songs.

The guy in question is a horrible, horrible ****.

jamboinglasgow

Yeah, he backs anti-sectarian laws and then points out Celtic's offensive songs are not sectarian... Struggling to work out why I should be conratulating the guy to be honest??

Thats been Celtic's stance for years, one of the worst for this is Jeanette Findlay, the head of the Celtic Supporters trust and a lecturer of Economics at Glasgow University who has said time and again that the Celtic songs are ok because they are not sectarian but Irish folk rebel songs and thus Celtic's right to sing it should be protected. But Rangers songs are nasty sectarian songs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7104362.stm

I did economics at Glasgow, glad I never got her as my lecturer, have heard about Rangers fans walking out of her class as she starts a rant about Rangers.

Guest Dipped Flake

We can't complain about being dragged into this as we still have fans who insist on singing that garbage. Hibs fans, however, are rightly going mad about this over on hibsnet. I would love to see hibs come out officially and have a go at that creep McBride and the BBC who allowed him a platform, again, to spout his crap

don't we only give them 500 tickets for Tynecastle? :o

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif that's some stand that Roseburn. Aberdeen manage to squeeze in 5000 and celtic make 500 look like 3000.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif that's some stand that Roseburn. Aberdeen manage to squeeze in 5000 and celtic make 500 look like 3000.

We should re-name it the tardis stand. :P

Not heard this since the early 80s and even then it was sporadic, it was fairly common in the 70s for them to sing pro-IRA songs though.

Who cares anyway? This new legislation is getting beyond a joke. Let them sing what they want, if somebody wants to make a total James Hunt out of themselves by singing songs about a seedy ex-terrorist and nowadays drugs-running gangster organisation in a country they've never even been to, then let them belt it out loud and proud.

Jamie_Mcintyre

I've heard Kilmarnock fans and Dundee utd fans sing hello hello , but because Hibs were formed by irish catholics it by default means we're all sectarian in Edinburgh , I've heard some stupid songs from Hibs fans days , but I've never heard Pro-Ira singing , and you barely ever hear "hello hello" at hearts games anymore other than a couple of drunks down the front and no one joins in so it ends ... awful excuses made up by the glasgow lot !

jamboinglasgow

Hibs have released a statement dismissing Paul McBride's comments about Hibs singing pro-IRA songs.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20111115/club-statement_2262950_2516574

Completely agree with Hibs doing this, McBride was making random comments to try and back up his argument and dragging others clubs unjustly into to the mud.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Hibs have released a statement dismissing Paul McBride's comments about Hibs singing pro-IRA songs.

http://www.hibernian...2262950_2516574

Completely agree with Hibs doing this, McBride was making random comments to try and back up his argument and dragging others clubs unjustly into to the mud.

Agreed, they have an unsavoury element to their fans with recent seasons seeing racist songs and missile throwing etc but I cannot remember any IRA songs for decades.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20111115/club-statement_2262950_2516574

I wish their statement had been more strongly-worded, I'd be absolutely raging at PMcB if I was a Hibby.

Nonsense

not heard that sung at Easter Road in nearly 30 years of going there

not nonsense,ive heard the scumbos sing it

Patrick Bateman

Funny how Hibernian quickly condemn McBride for those comments, yet remain silent when they call opposing players ******* refugees, hmm?

Colonel Kurtz

not nonsense,ive heard the scumbos sing it

I am no hobo lover,but there is little of the plastic paddy crap at Easter Road.

Mcbride is either just wrong or deflecting issues.

There was one year at Haymarket on Rememberance Sunday when no one from Hearts turned up,and those in attendance were outnumbered by the Sally Army band..The boy from Hibs,think he is called Mcewan turned up and laid a wreath.

To be honest I wouldnt fancy starting all that IRA crap with some of the hobos up this way.

Most of them are of Irish descent ,but consider themselves Scottish 100%

hibs used to sing pro-IRA songs in the 70's. I would be surprised if they are still at it.

You wouldn't be surprised? This means you haven't actually heard it or you would have said so

Let's be clear on this, Hibs fans may have their faults but I've never heard any IRA songs from their ranks.

If we're going to have a go at Hibs, can we keep it to things that are actually factually accurate?

Archived