Scotland Team V Cyprus

ritchies75

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

invariably Barry Robson's second touch is a tackle

There must be better on the bench than that.

You can say that for a few of them

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Steven Crainey... WTF? How old is he? We should be looking to players who will actually be able to compete in Brazil in 2014 if we're lucky enough to get there. Half this team will need zimmer frames ffs.

Just out of interest, who would you have in his position instead?

This is laughable. Organise a friendly, call up players who are young/short on caps/uncapped/in form, and play pretty much the exact same team who just failed to qualify for a tournament.

For your subs, bring on two of the players in form for fifteen minutes and Stephen Crainey.

What a joke.

Just out of interest, who would you have in his position instead?

Lee Wallace or Ross Wallace or Whittaker

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

:ermm:

This thread is chronic. You wouldn't think we were winning - a game away from home that'll help our FIFA rankings. We've brought in guys like Bardsley, Dorrans, McCarthur, Mackie, Adam, McKail-Smith etc. recently. What is it exactly folk think we're missing that is so obvious? What should Levein have done/not done that's driving everyone crazy?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Lee Wallace or Ross Wallace or Whittaker

Lee Wallace, who should be first choice, pulled out injured. I'll take your word for it that Ross Wallace is vastly better than Stephen Crainey.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Well done, lads. Solid win, nice periods of possession, another couple of young players getting more experience. Good day at the office. I'm sure folk would love to have seen a 5-0 romping, with disco goals by Dalglish, Jordan, Souness and Law, but they days are gone.

It's a win. And as someone said "a win is a win is a win."

Cyprus aren't the best which is why they're ranked 120th in the world or something but that means feck all imo.

Happy with that and Rhodes looks like a very good player, pity we'll have to wait a year.

The Mighty Thor

This thread is chronic. You wouldn't think we were winning - a game away from home that'll help our FIFA rankings. We've brought in guys like Bardsley, Dorrans, McCarthur, Mackie, Adam, McKail-Smith etc. recently. What is it exactly folk think we're missing that is so obvious? What should Levein have done/not done that's driving everyone crazy?

I'd imagine it's the lost opportunity to try different players, combinations of players, formations and tactics in a game that is meaningless, our rankings will not improve/worsen significantly from this game.

We know what roadrunner Miller can't do (great finish tonight though), we know what 33 year old Robson can't do....Fletcher was a doubt apparently.....don't play him then.

Levein has wasted a chance to learn what his squad players can do in a friendly with a view towards building to a World Cup qualifying game.

Same old faces, same old negative tactics and no doubt in 2 years time the same disappointing final outcome.....but we'll have an extra FIFA ranking point or two.:(

It disappoints me that Stevo's been taken away from the team for a week for no reason, ultimately.

Same thing happened with Kyle last year when we played the Faroes.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I'd imagine it's the lost opportunity to try different players, combinations of players, formations and tactics in a game that is meaningless, our rankings will not improve/worsen significantly from this game.

We know what roadrunner Miller can't do (great finish tonight though), we know what 33 year old Robson can't do....Fletcher was a doubt apparently.....don't play him then.

Levein has wasted a chance to learn what his squad players can do in a friendly with a view towards building to a World Cup qualifying game.

Same old faces, same old negative tactics and no doubt in 2 years time the same disappointing final outcome.....but we'll have an extra FIFA ranking point or two.:(

Cliche time, but there's no such thing as a meaningless game now. Qualification seedings are based on FIFA rankings. We need to win EVERY game. We did that, while at the same time seeing more of McKail-Smith, McCarthur, Mackie and tying down Rhodes.

jamboinglasgow

Well done, lads. Solid win, nice periods of possession, another couple of young players getting more experience. Good day at the office. I'm sure folk would love to have seen a 5-0 romping, with disco goals by Dalglish, Jordan, Souness and Law, but they days are gone.

My view as well. Now if we can sort out that defence Scotland will be in a great position.

Fermit the Krog

It disappoints me that Stevo's been taken away from the team for a week for no reason, ultimately.

He'd only be attempting to deal with long balls being launched at him if he was at Riccarton tbh.

:down:

Any Hearts player involved in the national side is there as a simple pawn. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lee Wallace gave them a couple of games and ended up out of the Hearts team for a considerable time. For what?

The Hearts players should recognise the mafia and refuse to serve on the alter 'pawnmanship' in a largely insignificant game of SFA chess.

FTSFA.

Remember this is JKB!

Thought Berra was excellent - and he had to be!

Superb goal from Millar!

Bardsley's worst game for Scotland!

Rhodes, even in the short time, looks the real deal!

Robson had a great 1st half!

Mackie will be a threat to anyone, because even he doesn't know what he's going to do next! With experience he'll hopefully get that bit more composure!

Biggest flop of the night was the tortuous commentary duo who, apart from the assault on the eardrums, failed to describe what was actually happening before their eyes on several occasions.

jamboinglasgow

Any Hearts player involved in the national side is there as a simple pawn. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lee Wallace gave them a couple of games and ended up out of the Hearts team for a considerable time. For what?

The Hearts players should recognise the mafia and refuse to serve on the alter 'pawnmanship' in a largely insignificant game of SFA chess.

FTSFA.

Give it a rest please. As much as I dont like the SFA I never subscribe to excuses Hearts fans use to not support the Scotland team.

Maybe its a case of Levein seeing this as letting Ryan adjust to the international arena and seeing if his game holds up in training and i don't think Ryan would say its a waisted trip.

Remember this is JKB!

Thought Berra was excellent - and he had to be!

Superb goal from Millar!

Bardsley's worst game for Scotland!

Rhodes, even in the short time, looks the real deal!

Robson had a great 1st half!

Mackie will be a threat to anyone, because even he doesn't know what he's going to do next! With experience he'll hopefully get that bit more composure!

Biggest flop of the night was the tortuous commentary duo who, apart from the assault on the eardrums, failed to describe what was actually happening before their eyes on several occasions.

I was brought up in the 70's watching two great Scottish teams, the 74 & 78 world cup,squads. Although there was some cross over, essentially they were two different teams. My favourites were the 78 team although they crashed and burnt. I went to the qualifiers against Czechoslovakia at Hampden, then Wales at Anfield. I honestly thought as a 16 year old that we could win the world cup.

But we gradually declined in style and substance. The 98 squad was the last one I recall with some quality.

But there is something about the current squad that makes me feel we could have a decent chance of qualifying for a final again.

But you get the feeling some folk on the forum are screaming out for Scotland to get beat and will knock them at every opportunity. Quite sad really.

I was brought up in the 70's watching two great Scottish teams, the 74 & 78 world cup,squads. Although there was some cross over, essentially they were two different teams. My favourites were the 78 team although they crashed and burnt. I went to the qualifiers against Czechoslovakia at Hampden, then Wales at Anfield. I honestly thought as a 16 year old that we could win the world cup.

But we gradually declined in style and substance. The 98 squad was the last one I recall with some quality.

But there is something about the current squad that makes me feel we could have a decent chance of qualifying for a final again.

But you get the feeling some folk on the forum are screaming out for Scotland to get beat and will knock them at every opportunity. Quite sad really.

For once we have a decent squad of players with a smidgeon of quality in there too like players who play for some of the top teams in England. Things are definately better than 10 years ago. The likes of Wylde and Forrest could become big players for us in the near future too.

The problem is the manager. He's not cut out for international football and I don't believe he is the man to get the best out of this squad of players. Smith or McLeish would have qualified fod Euro 2012 imo. The thought of another campaign under Levein is ghastly and I hope the SFA bring someone else in before it starts.

The Old Tolbooth

Even in the days of Dalglish and Souness we needed a 96th minute Richard Gough header to win at the same venue, seems we're around the same level then as we are now, I thought it wasn't bad at all tonight and can't understand why people are mumping about it, bizarre! :huh:

Snake Plissken

FTSFA.

Do you genuinely believe what you have written here?

Bet Celtic fans are salivating at the thought of Levein improving their defence like he has the Scottish defence! Three good goals in the game, some dire defending and some dire passing. Reality check required from some on here.This is a bigger squad of similar standard players now but still lacking the quality to qualify for a finals, as we have just seen. I like Levein as a person and ex player but I have no confidence in his ability to achieve much with our national team. Who would have thought Levein and Kenny Black shaping our future? The task requires a better management team as it is a really tough one. By the way as regards an earlier post were Dalglish and Souness not in management when we won in Cyprus before?

Even in the days of Dalglish and Souness we needed a 96th minute Richard Gough header to win at the same venue, seems we're around the same level then as we are now, I thought it wasn't bad at all tonight and can't understand why people are mumping about it, bizarre! :huh:

Just a few years after they'd gone but I get your point...

I remember that game and the grainy footage/commentary helped us qualify for Italia '90. :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Just a few years after they'd gone but I get your point...

I remember that game and the grainy footage/commentary helped us qualify for Italia '90. :thumbsup:

Bllody hell, was it really 1989? :blink:

I honestly thought it was 6 or 7 years earlier as I seem to recall us watching it whilst at school, it obviously wasn't that game as I was 18 then and very much left school :lol:

Feck, my heads burst trying to think what game we watched in school now, I'm gonna have to text some old school mates and find out as it's really bugging me, you've ruined my night! :(

I honestly thought it was 6 or 7 years earlier as I seem to recall us watching it whilst at school, it obviously wasn't that game as I was 18 then and very much left school :lol:

Feck, my heads burst trying to think what game we watched in school now, I'm gonna have to text some old school mated and find out as it's really bugging me, you've ruined my night! :(

I was about 10 when Richard Guff smashed in that header.

:smuggy:

FTSFA.

:rolleyes:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Feck, my heads burst trying to think what game we watched in school now, I'm gonna have to text some old school mated and find out as it's really bugging me, you've ruined my night! :(

Loved that game. I got my radio confiscated in 1st year maths. :lol:

Was the one you watched maybe v Australia in 1985?

The Old Tolbooth

Loved that game. I got my radio confiscated in 1st year maths. :lol:

Was the one you watched maybe v Australia in 1985?

Oh Eldar, I could have your babies! That's the game!! :D

I remember it now, it was the 0-0 draw which kicked off during the day at school and the place went nuts on the final whistle.

Am I right in saying that the Cypriot game was played during the day also, no idea why I think this but I seem to remember going ape when Goughie scored.

(P.S. I've had three mates text back saying saying I'm imagining things) :unsure:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I remember it now, it was the 0-0 draw which kicked off during the day at school and the place went nuts on the final whistle.

Am I right in saying that the Cypriot game was played during the day also, no idea why I think this but I seem to remember going ape when Goughie scored.

(P.S. I've had three mates text back saying saying I'm imagining things) :unsure:

:)

The Cyprus one was during the day also. Vivid memories of both games. It was so weird being at school for football games.

The Old Tolbooth

The Cyprus one was during the day also. Vivid memories of both games. It was so weird being at school for football games.

Thanks for clarifying that mate, I thought I was going bonkers for a while there :D

(I was only kidding about having yer babies btw) :ninja:

Hmmm, what time did it kick off?

I might have had a cheeky skive or made it home from primary school. :)

portobellojambo1

I only ever took one half day off primary school (I was 9 at the time), and that was to watch a Scotland game (I don't think they had TV's in schools in those days). The only reason my Mum let me take the afternoon off was because it was coming up to Christmas and she didn't think they would mind. Scotland had beaten Italy at Hampden the previous month 1-0, with John Greig scoring the goal. The return leg was on 7 December 1965, and the Italians moved it to Naples with a 14:00 start (15:00 there), to try and get as much advantage as possible. Scotland were absolutely honking that day, and suffered from important players missing, including the keeper Bill Brown (some punter from Burnley played in goals), Jim Baxter, Willie Henderson, and Alan Gilzean. Had to play with Ron Yeats, Liverpool's centre half at centre forward, and Davie Provan of Rangers, who couldn't kick a ball with his right foot was forced to play right back.

Italy won it 3-0 and about 20 minutes into the 2nd half I asked my Mum if I could go back to school. She had to remind me that at that point the school was about to close for the day.

Could have qualified for the World Cup in England if we had won in Naples I think.

FTSFA.

Ho ho what a load of tosh but then you know that?

Is Levein with his Hearts leamings party to all this?

When Hearts have players of the quality required to walk into the national squad they will. Simple.

At the moment we don't.

Dalglish and Souness had retired from international football three years earlier

Dalglish and Souness had retired from international football three years earlier

See above...

Darren Fletcher is the only player playing at a significant level on a regular basis to consider not turning up for any international.

Everyone else should be there as respect for themselves to learn to be better player. Which also benefits their clubs both in terms of player development and transfer value.

Yes there are risks of players getting injured but the SFA has full insurance to compensate clubs.

Archived