Pressley touting himself for a job?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Didn't see this discussed elsewhere. SP's thoughts on bringing through Academy players. apologies if already posted.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hearts/2011/11/07/hearts-can-kickstart-new-era-by-bringing-through-kids-to-cut-costs-insists-ex-tynecastle-star-steven-pressley-86908-23543943/

Hearts can kickstart new era by bringing through kids to cut costs, insists ex-Tynecastle star Steven Pressley

Nov 7 2011 Craig Swan

gordon smith Image 2

Hearts will look at bringing through more kids like Gordon Smith as Romanov cuts costs

STEVEN PRESSLEY reckons Vladimir Romanov's costcutting is not the end for Hearts - but instead can launch a magnificent new chapter in Tynecastle history.

The former Gorgie skipper was last night digesting the news from his former club that the majority shareholder is considering a sale as his love affair with football dies.

Among his remit for the immediate future at Hearts, Romanov has stated the only new faces who will emerge on to the first-team scene will come from the club's Academy.

It sounds a drastic measure for Scotland's self-proclaimed Third Force but Pressley believes it's the way forward.

In his role as manager at Falkirk, the former Scotland defender has adopted a similar route at Westfield.

Working long hours with his talented kids, Pressley has built an impressive young side that is fighting for promotion back to the SPL and has also charged into the semi-finals of the Scottish Communities League Cup.

And seeing these kids come through has brought out a real pride and passion in the Falkirk faithful.

It's been a winning formula for Pressley and he believes it can be just the same at Hearts.

As he points out, some of Hearts' most successful teams in the past 30 years have been built on the foundations of the youth programme.

Pressley said: "One of the most successful periods in Hearts' history under Alex MacDonald was based around players who had come through the system. The likes of Gary Mackay and John Robertson.

"That was one of the best periods and a big part was their development of young players.

"Later there was a phase under Jim Jefferies when he took the Scottish Cup to Tynecastle and challenged the Old Firm for the title in the late 1990s.

"Within that group, you had the likes of Gary Locke, Paul Ritchie, Kevin Thomas and Gary Naysmith. They all came through and, to look at those two periods of good times at Hearts, it was from going down the road of promoting the younger lads.

"Hearts have a history of success on and off the park when going through their youth systems and there is no reason why it cannot happen again."

Pressley is well qualified to make such statements having done such a wonderful job in changing the fortunes around at Falkirk after their relegation from the SPL.

From a period of doom and despair there is an appetite around the club now with the young guns exciting the locals.

He said: "I do think you need, what I call, the stabilisers.

"Within the group at Falkirk, we have a core of senior players who are very good characters, such as Darren Dods, Michael McGovern. Marc Millar and Tam Scobbie. I believe you need that within every club.

"But I have got to say this, I do not think Hearts have promoted enough of their young players in recent years. I have seen some of their Academy boys and they are brilliant players."

Pressley believes the owner's new plans can bring that sense of bond and unity back into Gorgie and make Hearts a force again.

He added: "I do believe bringing the youth players through brings a real sense of togetherness to the your club.

"The people associate with these young players and the club.

"Hearts have a proven track record of bringing through some top-quality young players and having success while doing so.

"Why can't it happen again?"

kingantti1874

You know I have hated Presley since the tick chest thump incident - but I'm in the mood to forgive and forget... We need people with passion-even If a little misguided at times

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It would be very funny. I suspect there's less bad blood between Romanov and Pressley than most folk think.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

You know I have hated Presley since the tick chest thump incident - but I'm in the mood to forgive and forget... We need people with passion-even If a little misguided at times

Love this post.

Can't disagree with anything he says. Falkirk fans at work have been saying he appears to be less arrogant this season too, must've mellowed a bit.

It would be very funny. I suspect there's less bad blood between Romanov and Pressley than most folk think.

To be honest, there was never bad blood between V.Romanov and Pressley.

Pedro and R.Romanov, however....

To be honest, there was never bad blood between V.Romanov and Pressley.

Pedro and R.Romanov, however....

Nail on the head!

Hmm credit where credit is Jew.

Very interesting and insightful comments from Pressley.

Notice how he states the obvious and pays a compliment to the club and Mr Jim.

This of course attracting every snake loving troll out from under their rock to welcome him back with open arms.

He's done really well with Falkirk on a wage bill that must be peanuts compared to most if not all SPL clubs. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Hibs, would fit in with Petrie's cost-cutting ethos - and they're losing money hand over fist so the alarm bells must be ringing.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I thought it was a decent thread so far. Does the snake stuff not seem a wee bit stale now?

Captain Lithuania

:greatpost:

Hearts legend and welcome back any time.

Steady!!

Well made comments by him, but my memory is a long one and I recall a fist & chest pump for the Tims which annoyed me no end!!!!!

Still

:seething:

I can see paulo being raplaced by elvis in january...elvis has done brilliant with a group of young lads this season and not sure if thats what paulo had in minx when he signed on.

jamboinglasgow

Can't disagree with anything he says. Falkirk fans at work have been saying he appears to be less arrogant this season too, must've mellowed a bit.

I think it has been a learning curve for Pressley at Falkirk. But he has done a fantastic job this season with most of his established players leaving in the summer and forming a team made of mostly youngsters with a few older players. They are in the final of the SFL Challenge cup, the semi final of the League cup having knocked out Rangers and Dundee United and are currently 2nd in the league (4 points clear of third place, 3 points behind 1st.)

Pressley is saying the right things about how we should approach youngsters. If he proves himself more at Falkirk I would welcome him back at Tynecastle as coach.

Hmm credit where credit is Jew.

Very interesting and insightful comments from Pressley.

Notice how he states the obvious and pays a compliment to the club and Mr Jim.

This of course attracting every snake loving troll out from under their rock to welcome him back with open arms.

Racist post IMO.

;)

Scotland's self proclaimed third force - I THINK THE FACTS PROCLAIM IT DAILY RECORD YOU ###### KNOB HEADS

I noticed that as well, along with their lie, that Romanov has stated that no new faces will ever been seen in the first team, unless they've come through the Academy.

It's not a contentious article, but they still feel the need to tell lies, and have a sly dig. Another sad reflection on the state of the media in Scotland. :sad:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Pressley is a very poor manager which disqualifies him in my eyes for a role at Tynecastle.

In Vlad's eyes, however, that is no reason to disqualify him.

Steady!!

Well made comments by him, but my memory is a long one and I recall a fist & chest pump for the Tims which annoyed me no end!!!!!

Still

:seething:

Oh no! A player making actions towards his fans, shocking news. Hearts legend and NOTHING will ever change that.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Oh no! A player making actions towards his fans, shocking news. Hearts legend and NOTHING will ever change that.

And it begins....

Note to everyone: Pressley snake threads are boring.

And it begins....

Note to everyone: Pressley snake threads are boring.

How anyone can have a go at Pressley is quite simply ridiculous in my opinion.

Geoff Kilpatrick

How anyone can have a go at Pressley is quite simply ridiculous in my opinion.

Does it matter? This thread is about his managerial ability which I think is pretty rubbish. Is that having a go?

Football player in showing emotion when his club are winning shocker.

:wow:

Whatever next!

I'm nowhere near the "snake" posts level of dislike for Pressley but this post is absolute crap.

Pressley acted like an arsehole that day. Fact. Some people have got over what happened and others never will. I'm somewhere in between. At the time I was angry but now I'm not so bothered.

Seymour M Hersh

the serpent holding forth earlier today.

HPSITB-1.jpg

Thing is Rev. Just out of shot is oor Vlad playing a penny whistle. :whistling:

I'm nowhere near the "snake" posts level of dislike for Pressley but this post is absolute crap.

Pressley acted like an arsehole that day. Fact. Some people have got over what happened and others never will. I'm somewhere in between. At the time I was angry but now I'm not so bothered.

Only precious drama queens let that get to them.

The type who have very little in their life other than Hearts.

Does it matter? This thread is about his managerial ability which I think is pretty rubbish. Is that having a go?

So you think his managerial ability at Falkirk this season has been rubbish working with a group of youngsters ? Think you need to have a wee look at their stats. this season in the league and the cups. <_<

Maybe Pressley has changed a lot from his recent attitude and arrogance and is starting to become a better manager and person though experience. <_<

Geoff Kilpatrick

So you think his managerial ability at Falkirk this season has been rubbish working with a group of youngsters ? Think you need to have a wee look at their stats. this season in the league and the cups. <_<

Maybe Pressley has changed a lot from his recent attitude and arrogance and is starting to become a better manager and person though experience. <_<

Maybe he is. However, if I wanted a Div 1 manager with a track record of working with youngsters, John McGlynn would top my list.

i wish jj was my dad

Steven Pressley's behaviour during that celtic game really disappointed me but I think a lot of people forget just how much of a positive influence he was at the club during his time here. I think even Vlad described him as the glue that held things together.

I have no idea what was going through his head during that game but I guess a lot of pent up emotions came out against a former employer who IMO he had a genuine grievance against.

I wish he hadn't done it. It tarnished the legend in a lot of people's eyes but I don't remember a more successful club captain at Tynecastle in my lifetime.

Only precious drama queens let that get to them.

The type who have very little in their life other than Hearts.

Care to name & shame then?

Anything to upset the easily-offended brigade who went greeting to their mums just because that bad man celebrated scoring a goal against his former team. "He disrespected me, sob, sob. I'll never get over it. You just don't understand."

Pressley always gave 100% and never shirked a challenge. That's good enough for me (except we don't have a vacancy right now).

Too soon for Pressley to take the Hearts job IMO. Wouldn't rule it out in the future though.

As someone else said, I'd have McGlynn over SP right now.

funnily enough was talking to a Falkirk director yesterday and he is convinced that they will be losing their manager very soon

either to us or to the sheepies

he says Elvis has done a fantastic job and they are dreading this happening

I couldn't care less if Neil Lennon was manager of Hearts, as long as the team are winning.

To hold petty grudges agaisnt SP after his years of service to the club is pretty immature and we should move on. If he can do a job then I wouldnt rule him out and he has made a steady improvement on his managerial skills after a shakey start at Falkirk.

I would rather snakely never set foot in Tynecastle again. :down: Saying that I said the same about Webster who has come back and been very good and won a lot of people over.

Captain Lithuania

I hope Pressley comes back to us as manager.

It seems like more people have dropped the "snakey" pish too, and are actually supporting him.

:pleasing:

kingantti1874

I couldn't care less if Neil Lennon was manager of Hearts, as long as the team are winning.

To hold petty grudges agaisnt SP after his years of service to the club is pretty immature and we should move on. If he can do a job then I wouldnt rule him out and he has made a steady improvement on his managerial skills after a shakey start at Falkirk.

Your taking it to a whole new level with the Neil Lennon example... No ******* way...

I hope Pressley comes back to us as manager.

It seems like more people have dropped the "snakey" pish too, and are actually supporting him.

:pleasing:

People happy to bend over for the snake when he says a few nice things about hearts :down:

I wouldn't be totally happy with it, but I'm fairly certain he'll be the next man for the hotseat once Paulo's had his turn. :ninja:

Archived