Roaming IP addresses

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hi folks

Tech question. I'd like to be able to watch the BBC iPlayer over here in Oz but it restricts you via the IP address. If I bought a piece of kit which would allow me to use a roaming IP with a UK IP addy, would this work or not? The BBC claims it gets IP addresses from the major UK providers so I'm wondering whether this is worth the bother.

Cheers

Hi folks

Tech question. I'd like to be able to watch the BBC iPlayer over here in Oz but it restricts you via the IP address. If I bought a piece of kit which would allow me to use a roaming IP with a UK IP addy, would this work or not? The BBC claims it gets IP addresses from the major UK providers so I'm wondering whether this is worth the bother.

Cheers

Find a UK proxy server.

Just a quick guess, but try using a VPN Client, so in effect, you will be connecting via your network at home, although you are in Oz

Try a piece of kit called hemachi

It's pretty tough getting around the BBC restrictions, because what they actually do is stream the content to the UKs biggest ISPs backbones, and serve it on a private network to their clients only.

The 2 suggestions above will work in theory, but I've never been able to find a UK proxy fast enough to stream video effectively. If you can use a VPN client to go through your PC in the UK, that would work fine tho.

Archived