'Not' a soulless bowl stadium

Buffalo Bill

Can people please post picture examples of what they don't consider to be a 'soulless bowl' stadium. I'm particularly keen to see grounds from France, Holland, Germany etc. Capacities between 20,000 - 30,000 only, thanks.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

Do you mean that they have to bowl stadiums, or do you just mean pictures of stadiums which have atmosphere?

I will start with Wolfsburg's Volkswagan Arena, 30,000 seater stadium (and some safe standing areas) built for 53 million Euros.

800px-Volkswagen-Arena_G%C3%A4steblock.JPG

Volkswagan Arena

Do you mean that they have to bowl stadiums

Any type of stadium, thanks.

The newest one I can think of would be the Amex

amex-stadium-brighton.jpg

22,000 with the corners ready to be filled in when demand requires it and a top atmosphere as well, if reports are to be believed. Make the stands behind the goal a bit steeper and I think it would be an ideal example.

22,000 with the corners ready to be filled in when demand requires it and a top atmosphere as well, if reports are to be believed. Make the stands behind the goal a bit steeper and I think it would be an ideal example.

Cracking Main Stand but the shallow, behind-the-goals stands are totally shan.

Cracking Main Stand but the shallow, behind-the-goals stands are totally shan.

Yea I'd probably agree with that but like I said, top atmosphere and I can't imagine there would be too big a problem in making the other 3 stands that bit steeper.

The Valenciennes one looks top notch.

Goldstone Wonder

is the correct answer. My brother and a couple of mates are season ticket holders and they say it has a cracking atmosphere. Not been yet but looking forward to it. It looked like it was rocking on Monday night.

Charlie-Brown

Councillor Steve Cardownie's words are hardly encouraging

Last night, council leader Steve Cardownie played down the local authority?s role. ?All Hearts have done is make an approach to us to say ?if we do have to make a move from Tynecastle, we would like to move to somewhere in the west of the city and is there any way the council would be involved in some sort of joint venture??.?

is the correct answer. My brother and a couple of mates are season ticket holders and they say it has a cracking atmosphere. Not been yet but looking forward to it. It looked like it was rocking on Monday night.

Cost ?93m....

Always thought Huddersfield have a smart stadium (looks a bit like Bolton's):

Huddersfield-Town--Galpharm-Stadium-CLUB_1068816.jpg

Was built before the Reebok.

Councillor Steve Cardownie's words are hardly encouraging

Last night, council leader Steve Cardownie played down the local authority?s role. ?All Hearts have done is make an approach to us to say ?if we do have to make a move from Tynecastle, we would like to move to somewhere in the west of the city and is there any way the council would be involved in some sort of joint venture??.?

Always taking jam out of donughts eh CB, how come you and Jambo Robbo used to argue so much??

jamboinglasgow

This thread is about pictures of non-dull stadia. Thanks.

apologies, I misread your op thinking you meant ones that would have atmosphere rather then are quite interesting shape and style.

MSV Arena

MSV-Arena2.jpg

31,000 seater stadium for MSV Duisberg in Germany. Cost 43 million Euros when it was built. (The terracing is only in that bit.)

That looks class. CLose to the pitch and steep stands would be ideal. Even better if we were able to get a wee standing section like that - we can dream.

Anybody on here who uses the phrase "soulless bowl" or moans about the lack of atmosphere (in a stadium that's not even built ffs, mystic meg ****s) is an utter throbber.

Tynecastle with the floodlight system built from the back and not across the front corners of the roof would enable us to fill in those corners, adding around another 1,000 seats and a new main stand, possibly 2 to 3 tear would take the capacity upto around 23,000. Do that somewhere like Hermiston Gait and i'll be quite content.

Like the look of the new Juventus stadium and the atmosphere in it is far better than the previous one.

Templeton Peck

What about this Community Stadium. Built with a share of private and public money. Perhaps our council could share info with a twin city.

Dunedin

Next to the Water of Leith....

konya_arena.jpg

A slightly smaller version with drastic colour change would be nice , :whistling:

(Konyaspor Arena due to hold 33000)

Please not a copy of the Shoebox (sorry Reebok).

Atmosphere is pretty poor, not helped by tunnels at 2 of the corners that make it one of the coldest places known to man

Optimus Prime

Gl?cksgas Stadium, home of Dynamo Dresden.

Personally I really like the steep, single tier. Currently a 27,000 seating capacity, and cost around ?45 million.

stadion1.jpg

It's like a bigger Almondvale.

1025615905-6894670-rohdaten_2.jpg

Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen.

Probably of the best Stadiums i've been too.

Put's our national venue to shame.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Some of these are enormous and way out of our league.

Follow these few steps and you cannae go wrong:

FILL IN THE CORNERS! - I would greet into my cereal for the rest of my life if we end up with a slightly bigger version of St Mirren.

Stands close to the pitch.

NOT a curved roof like Reebok, Huddersfield etc.

Bill are you looking for our opinions, or just for examples?

If you are looking for some examples try this website, it's got pictures of all top flight stadiums from most European leagues.

http://www.wikistadiums.org/

If you want our opinion I'll try and post a few of my favs once I'm back from work.

St Jakobs Park, Basel's Stadium.

33,000 Capacity (including 9,000 standing)

Cracking ground, and had a great atmosphere when we were there.

5284d75a-39b3-43be.jpg

5284d75a-39e1-8a7a.jpg

5284d75a-39fc-d716.jpg

There are sheltered housing style flats in the back of the stand, and as that there's only football for about 70hrs a year, any disturbance is not too bad. This qualified them for grants from the local authority towards the building, and an ongoing income.

The ground floor of the stand is all bars and restaurants, again generating income, and not just on match days.

Underneath the whole stadium is a shopping mall about the size of Waverly Market, again generating ongoing non-football revenue.

Once I've won my ?180m in the next Euromillions mega rollover, I'll help with the building costs. If we can't wait till then (!) I do genuinely believe that a version of this would work very well for Hearts.

:thumb:

Archived