Playing surface

chico1874

5 minutes ago, kila said:

So in a nutshell going by observations: they are cutting it too short/too frequently and overwatering it

I think that's exactly what made the problems last time so bad, being excessively watered before games in the winter and being cut often

Going by the opinion of a golf course head greenkeeper, that seems to be the situation Kila.

It would be amazing if they made the same mistake twice.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Going by the opinion of a golf course head greenkeeper, that seems to be the situation Kila.

It would be amazing if they made the same mistake twice.

I get that this guy is an experienced greenkeeper but I find it hard to believe that the people responsible for the tynecastle turf could, apparently, get it so wrong. ?

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I get that this guy is an experienced greenkeeper but I find it hard to believe that the people responsible for the tynecastle turf could, apparently, get it so wrong. ?

You would think so Dave.  Hopefully the staff looking after the pitch have got it right - we will know after the next 3 games I would suggest.

8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Sorry if this is a daft question, but how does a golf greenkeeper avoid cutting the grass too often?

I think golf courses are played on every day, and the grass on the green is always really, really short.

Not doubting you, BTW, I'm genuinely interested.

You party are right - during the growing season the greens are regularly cut short.  In the late Autumn/winter they are rarely cut to allow the grass to recover.

To further explain - if you played football on a closely cut green the turf would get ripped to bits.

If you played football on the fairway where the grass is not 'cut to the wood' every day, and is allowed to thicken into carpet like turf, then it would not get ripped up so badly.

I think the JKB golfers will know what my greenkeeping pal was on about.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

It makes no difference how many times the grass is cut, it's the height that it is cut that is important.

With our pitch it's a combination of both - cutting it too short, too many times.

Grass – the correct composition of sward is a major importance to ensure growth and resistance to wear and tear under adverse conditions.

The pitch grass sward should be cut to the playing height, no lower than 25mm and ideally should be boxed off.

Daily mowing will strengthen up the sward, allowing the ball to move better during the game.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Grass – the correct composition of sward is a major importance to ensure growth and resistance to wear and tear under adverse conditions.

The pitch grass sward should be cut to the playing height, no lower than 25mm and ideally should be boxed off.

Daily mowing will strengthen up the sward, allowing the ball to move better during the game.

Fine - I'm not looking for an argument here. I'm just sharing the concerns passed on to me by a guy that knows how to look after grass.

If the daily mowing that has been going on is strengthening the sward, then I look forward to watching my football on a pitch that is not badly cutting, up with players constantly slipping on it.

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Fine - I'm not looking for an argument here. I'm just sharing the concerns passed on to me by a guy that knows how to look after grass.

If the daily mowing that has been going on is strengthening the sward, then I look forward to watching my football on a pitch that is not badly cutting, up with players constantly slipping on it.

Just playing Devil's Advocate mate, maybe grass maintenance for a golf course is different from a football pitch.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate mate, maybe grass maintenance for a golf course is different from a football pitch.

Just bounced your cutting info off my pal - he says that 25mm is pretty low for a football pitch, and in any event should only be closely cut during the growing season.

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Just bounced your cutting info off my pal - he says that 25mm is pretty low for a football pitch, and in any event should only be closely cut during the growing season.

Not according to the info I posted above - 

Autumn (start of playing season – care and maintenance) September to November

• Grass – the correct composition of sward is a major importance to ensure growth and resistance to wear and tear under adverse conditions. The pitch grass sward should be cut to the playing height, no lower than 25mm and ideally should be boxed off. Daily mowing will strengthen up the sward, allowing the ball to move better during the game.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not according to the info I posted above - 

Autumn (start of playing season – care and maintenance) September to November

• Grass – the correct composition of sward is a major importance to ensure growth and resistance to wear and tear under adverse conditions. The pitch grass sward should be cut to the playing height, no lower than 25mm and ideally should be boxed off. Daily mowing will strengthen up the sward, allowing the ball to move better during the game.

Is that information relevant to the Scottish climate?

Anyway proof of the pudding will be the state of our pitch in a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Is that information relevant to the Scottish climate?

Anyway proof of the pudding will be the state of our pitch in a few weeks.

Last sentence is certainly true and the signs are not good.

Not sure how a green keeper can maintain a full golf course but we can't keep a rectangle of turf suitable for football.

The training pitches at Murryfield were in amazing condition when walking over to the watches!

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Last sentence is certainly true and the signs are not good.

Very true.  During the stand construction I had the opportunity of having a good close-up view of the pitch.  I thought the grass looked a bit sparse, and certainly was not the 'knitted' turf I expected to see with the new one being laid.

Also a bit of a concern bearing in mind that we have played very little games on it.

18 hours ago, Bozi said:

Let me say the pitch cutting up easily was clearly Levein fault and until he is removed from the club we will have to out up with substandard pitches. Let's face it no grass would want to grow under his regime 

Am I doing it right?

Are you Thomaso in disguise?????????

6 minutes ago, Simmo said:

Are you Thomaso in disguise?????????

Think that ones already been cracked - keep up lad. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Bozi said:

Aye on that Thomasso when can I collect my curry from?

soon mate soon   :thumbsup:

Some documentation for SISIS:

November Maintenancehttp://www.sisis.com/november-maintenance/230.htm

"Cutting: Continue cutting regularly at 25-37mm to ensure a good sward density. Grass growth may slow some towards the end of the month, which makes cutting at the correct time essential to avoid thinning a sward that will be slow to recover from mowing in the wet and smearing worm casts etc"

Maybe just the excessive watering before a game that is the problem, weakening the ground. No expert though, and it'll be interesting to see how the pitch is tomorrow.

6 hours ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

:laugh:

What next, signage on McLeod street? Too much salt in the pies?

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

None of these effect the football - a poor pitch does.

It does if the players are eating the pies.

In fact, going by the performances, they must be eating the signage, too.

23 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I'm surprised the CL hasn't been blamed for this in his position Grass Master!

:jj:

19 hours ago, Bozi said:

Let me say the pitch cutting up easily was clearly Levein fault and until he is removed from the club we will have to out up with substandard pitches. Let's face it no grass would want to grow under his regime 

Am I doing it right?

I assume our ground staff will know a thing or two about the best thing to do to help a football pitch? I would also assume, at least, the senior groundstaff will have qualifications in this exact thing? I might be wrong, but I believe they will pretty well qualified on the best thing to do to help this specific football pitch.

Unless a greenkeeper has been to see the park and have a look at it, know the history of it, the type of grass, turf and soil,  i'm not sure they would be able to 100% say what is best for that pitch.

I am not a green keeper and have little to no knowledge of grass growth with the exception of my garden but these all seem pretty logical things.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Not sure how a green keeper can maintain a full golf course but we can't keep a rectangle of turf suitable for football.

The training pitches at Murryfield were in amazing condition when walking over to the watches!

The training pitches at Murrayfield are a hybrid which I believe is what we were hoping to intstall before we had to lay the current surface.

It may still happen at some point.

20 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I think the undersold heating being on, contributed to the pitch being soft. Groundstaff were working on the pitch straight after the game last Sunday.

That’s because it’s there job to fix after a match 

2 minutes ago, 18grantmc74 said:

That’s because it’s there job to fix after a match 

No shit Sherlock 

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

No shit Sherlock 

So what you on about then. The groundstaff were on the pitch straight after the game. What you want them to do? Wait for everyone to leave?

4 minutes ago, 18grantmc74 said:

When was it watered last Sunday? I didn’t see that 

There was prematch entertainment with the singer, so they stopped watering earlier than usual

Was the same at Murrayfield, Levein had the sprinklers on for a while and the pitch got a proper soaking. I can't understand why that is a good idea in autumn/winter when it will take a while to drain away and it won't evaporate like in summer. But even in the summer, I feel the pitch still gets overwatered with players slipping in a few boggy patches.

7 minutes ago, 18grantmc74 said:

So what you on about then. The groundstaff were on the pitch straight after the game. What you want them to do? Wait for everyone to leave?

They don't always go on immediately after games. Hang around you may learemember something.

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Our football management made a big issue of the previous poor playing surface - hence Budge rubber stamped the new pitch at a big cost.

The £300,000 (as I remember) spent on this particular aspect to enable our first team to play silky footbaĺl worked out very well for us .

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Just my daft sense of humour. 

A pork swordsman is an expression used for Errol Flynn. I just used your spelling.....

Anyway. Thanks for your information on the pitch. Intereting stuff.

Not my words, copy and paste job so I assume the spelling of "sward" is correct.

I usually get your humour too, any chance you can just get back to calling the shite, bucket raking, verminous, wankstains down in Lethiopia some suitably choice names so we can get things back on track?

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, richiehmfc said:

I assume our ground staff will know a thing or two about the best thing to do to help a football pitch? I would also assume, at least, the senior groundstaff will have qualifications in this exact thing? I might be wrong, but I believe they will pretty well qualified on the best thing to do to help this specific football pitch.

Unless a greenkeeper has been to see the park and have a look at it, know the history of it, the type of grass, turf and soil,  i'm not sure they would be able to 100% say what is best for that pitch.

I am not a green keeper and have little to no knowledge of grass growth with the exception of my garden but these all seem pretty logical things.

Well the evidence would suggest they are doing a pretty shite job of it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Pitch was like an ice rink last week. Hopefully we have the correct footwear. Ice skates

Jambof3tornado

With the undersoil heating being used more this week the pitch may well cut up even worse today.

Hope our players opt for the correct footwear this week.

The pitch is absolutely terrible.

Can't believe I'm saying that after only the 2nd game of football on it this season.

Archived