Playing surface

chico1874

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, simplesimon said:

Why do we allow 100 kids to have a stramash at half time every game if the pitch is a problem?

There is only around 30 of them I think, but I don't think they are going to do much damage given their weight and boot size

My mate had Hughes in  his shop . And staed the pitch was murder to play on. But hard to notice from stands 

stirlingshirejambo
1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

The pitch is absolutely terrible.

Can't believe I'm saying that after only the 2nd game of football on it this season.

We also played our league cup ties in terrible weather  on it but it's still shocking I agree

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

My mate had Hughes in  his shop . And staed the pitch was murder to play on. But hard to notice from stands 

Players were falling over every 2 minutes..  the pitch is shocking..  whoever is looking after it needs to be sacked 

Lawnmowers on the pitch before I was out of the Wheatfield, to confirm a poster from last week.

I do find this a strange thing to do immediately after a game. surely divot replacement is more important.

Something not right with our surface.

On one of the stadium tours last season we were told the current surface is basically just a carpet. It will hopefully see us through this season but work needs done under the surface. I’m assuming we’re still going ahead with the hybrid pitch in the summer but no word on that and they’re not cheap at all. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Lawnmowers on the pitch before I was out of the Wheatfield, to confirm a poster from last week.

I do find this a strange thing to do immediately after a game. surely divot replacement is more important.

Something not right with our surface.

No because if you carry this out you pick up all the loose parts of the pitch which then makes it easier to see what’s needing fixed. They don’t cut the pitch they hoover it. Make the grass stand up. Maybe ask to give them a hand might help you understand. Everyone quick enough to have a pop at people but maybe ask them on a match day or something than slag people off on here. Seen a comment from someone working on the main stand hardly got a place to talk about anyone’s work 

It should have been ten
On 23/11/2017 at 21:25, Bozi said:

Let me say the pitch cutting up easily was clearly Levein fault and until he is removed from the club we will have to out up with substandard pitches. Let's face it no grass would want to grow under his regime 

Am I doing it right?

:qqb006:

6 hours ago, 18grantmc74 said:

No because if you carry this out you pick up all the loose parts of the pitch which then makes it easier to see what’s needing fixed. They don’t cut the pitch they hoover it. Make the grass stand up. Maybe ask to give them a hand might help you understand. Everyone quick enough to have a pop at people but maybe ask them on a match day or something than slag people off on here. Seen a comment from someone working on the main stand hardly got a place to talk about anyone’s work 

Cheers bud, if you read my post again, you will see that I am not slagging off.

I am questioning, why the mowers are out. Assume, the blades are are set above the grass height?

Learn something new everyday. 

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Pitch is fine.

You couldn't have been there yesterday.. players must have slipped about 20 times.

From memory the pitch was to be upgraded to a hybrid in the summer just been but was put back due to the somewhat successful relay of the pitch we have now.

Therefore the cost of the hybrid would already be included in the overall cost for stadium redevelopment would not be an additional cost?

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

You couldn't have been there yesterday.. players must have slipped about 20 times.

Minus whatever is was, pathetic little light boots they wear these days, groundsman obviously been instructed to get the surface as slick as possible to get a fast tempo game on. Yes, players will slip. Suited us more than them.

1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

Minus whatever is was, pathetic little light boots they wear these days, groundsman obviously been instructed to get the surface as slick as possible to get a fast tempo game on. Yes, players will slip. Suited us more than them.

Cochrane got injured because of it.

portobellojambo1
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

There were people commenting on the state of the pitch last week and I was one of those who hadn't really noticed any problems with the surface. Even speaking with many HMFC fans at work they hadn't really noticed anything untoward about the pitch last week. However, it was quite noticeable yesterday. I ain't no gardener, or grass expert, so haven't got a clue what the cause is or was. The surface has had a chance to develop more than it would have had if we had been able to start playing at Tynecastle regularly since July/August, but the answer is beyond me. Things that grow in garden areas like grass contain too much green colour for me to ever get any interest at all, but hopefully we can get it sorted until the hybrid surface that was talked about can be put in place.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The surface seems from a distance admittedly too firm. The pitch is flat not bobbly. The firmness coupled with the damp on top is making it a death trap. Walker took a very sore one in the first half. 

Looks to me as if they have over compensated

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 01:06, 18grantmc74 said:

Firstly - during my regular visits to the Main Stand site I raised a bit of concern over the pitch being cut every day 'to the wood' which was seemed to be leaving the grass pretty sparse.  As I said previously, a golf course greenkeeper pal (who is also a Jambo and goes to games) told me that the grass should have been allowed to thicken and therefore let the root system develop. He told me that the pitch would cut up badly - so was he correct??

The fact is that the under soil and turf was replaced at great cost less than a year ago, and we have pitch that was un-played on for weeks - we now have a surface that is basically flattened mud with a thin covering of grass, and players sliding all over the place.  Players in hospitality after the Ross County game said the playing surface was a "nightmare" - something has gone badly wrong here and I hope the Club have recourse to the maintenance company who are looking after the pitch.

Lastly what do you mean by your last comment?  Do you think I should be ashamed of the part my Company had in building the new stand - please explain.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:44, sassenach said:

From what I remember reading on here, last time the pitch was relaid it wasn't done properly and caused problems right from the beginning.

It was returfed after the Hibs game, but I would imagine that this would have limited benefit because the pitch is still the same underneath.

I would guess that whatever the groundstaff do at the moment will just be firefighting until it can be properly relaid during a close season.

The existing under soil was de-compacted and new top soil brought in for the new pitch.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:14, Oliver Twist said:

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Players in hospitality after the Ross County game said the playing surface was a "nightmare" - something has gone badly wrong here and I hope the Club have recourse to the maintenance company who are looking after the pitch.

We'd be better off at Murrayfield even after a rugby game!

7 minutes ago, kila said:

We'd be better off at Murrayfield even after a rugby game!

Surface wise - yes.  TBF the Murrayfield pitch is a hybrid type that we hope to lay one day.

Notwithstanding that, to lay a new pitch that was lovely thick turf less that a year ago, have all the summer growing season, very little play on it - and to end up with a pitch in it's current state is disappointing to say the least Kila.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 01:07, Oliver Twist said:

Pitch is fine.

Quote of the week!

:laugh:

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Surface wise - yes.  TBF the Murrayfield pitch is a hybrid type that we hope to lay one day.

Notwithstanding that, to lay a new pitch that was lovely thick turf less that a year ago, have all the summer growing season, very little play on it - and to end up with a pitch in it's current state is disappointing to say the least Kila.

I agree, given it’s a hardly used new pitch it seems in very poor condition. As you say, I hope someone at the club is asking questions. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree, given it’s a hardly used new pitch it seems in very poor condition. As you say, I hope someone at the club is asking questions. 

If the company who laid the new pitch are also maintaining it, then yes I would imagine the Club will have a come back on it's current state.

If the Club directly employ the guy who has been cutting/maintaining the pitch every day, then there may be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Pitch still looked fantastic the other night after a heavy rainfall and been played on every week for a month.

Fantastic work by the groundstaff.

25 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Pitch still looked fantastic the other night after a heavy rainfall and been played on every week for a month.

Fantastic work by the groundstaff.

Seemingly been told to cut down on the watering and cutting - glad they took my advice.........:happy:

Seemingly been told to cut down on the watering and cutting - glad they took my advice.........:happy:

They haven't paid any heed to all your other "advice" so I'm calling bullshit on that post.

Sorry partner.

Be fair, would ignore your advice? ?

Bazzas right boot

The grass is too green for Tynecastle. We need less greener grass, sign of the club going soft. Imo

41 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

The grass is too green for Tynecastle. We need less greener grass, sign of the club going soft. Imo

A maroon 4g pitch would be perfect!!!

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Joking apart it does look better .. I noticed on a photo more lights in use. They've obviously made some changes 

Currently pretty heavy rain in Gorgie just now! Can see park taking a pounding today! 

Front four rows going to get soaked also! 

???

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:33, Oliver Twist said:

Pitch is still fine and holding up well.

Credit to the groundsman.

Bump!

letsalldothebeattie

Don’t see what’s wrong with the pitch. Yes it was cutting up a bit but can’t be similar to the levels it was last season before we replaced it

4 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Don’t see what’s wrong with the pitch. Yes it was cutting up a bit but can’t be similar to the levels it was last season before we replaced it

For a brand new pitch laid around a year ago, that has had relatively few games, it is not in great shape.  Check the comments on this thread for the reasons why if you can be bothered.

2 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

Pitch is alright, seen it far worse!

Yes I have seen far worse - that doesn't take away from the fact that ours should be better.

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Yes I have seen far worse - that doesn't take away from the fact that ours should be better.

Yeah i agree, i dont think its at the stage yet where celtic can be coming out and saying it lost them the game :lol::lol::lol::lol: 

Yeah i agree, i dont think its at the stage yet where celtic can be coming out and saying it lost them the game :lol::lol::lol::lol: 

Laughable. We strolled through it.

No neither do I - as I said the state of the pitch did not prevent us from playing cracking football.

Just now, Thomaso said:

No neither do I - as I said the state of the pitch did not prevent us from playing cracking football.

Same again next week please 

Only a few month ago Celtic park was in worse condition.

Sorry to quote the sun but....

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/606456/brendan-rodgers-blasts-poor-parkhead-pitch-and-calls-on-celtic-board-to-splash-out-on-upgrade/

BRENDAN RODGERS watched his Celtic side make it 25 domestic wins in a row – then BLASTED the state of the Parkhead pitch.

Rodgers will demand a new £2million Desso surface is laid this summer because the Celtic Park surface is so worn.

Brendan Rodgers

NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LTD
Brendan Rodgers is unhappy with the condition of the Celtic Park pitch this season

He even conceded that the only booking of the routine 2-0 win over Motherwell – for a foul by visitors’ sub Ryan Bowman on Kieran Tierney – was CAUSED by the bobbly surface.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

Rodgers admitted: “I thought the players did remarkably well, considering the level of the pitch is poor.

“Some of our football was very good on what – although it might not look it – is a very, very difficult surface.

“It’s a corner for me. When we’re trying to entertain supporters and play a level of game, the pitch is vital.

“We actually go away to some grounds and play better because the pitch is better. This here slows us down.

“It’s an old pitch and we need to modernise it.

“I’ve asked for a Desso and I’m sure we’ll get it sorted.

The pitch wasn't great yesterday. December conditions aren't helping but it's a lot poorer than other Scottish clubs and it only just got relaid less than 10 months ago!

Still not convinced by whatever lot are looking after the pitch. It isn't as bad as a year ago but it's heading towards a similar state... baffling when they have all the tools to make it right.

Archived