Playing surface

chico1874

3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

It worked superbly in the end.

KUDOS TO THE GARDENERS

Ah! So getting the pitch in that state was all a cunning plan to beat Celtic!  Clever, very clever!  :thumbsup:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Thomaso said:

Ah! So getting the pitch in that state was all a cunning plan to beat Celtic!  Clever, very clever!  :thumbsup:

Wasn't Levin and McPhee's tactical masterclass, it was the clubs very own Charlie Dimmock

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Wasn't Levin and McPhee's tactical masterclass, it was the clubs very own Charlie Dimmock

:laugh:

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

A very expensive medium term fix.   Really no good reason why the new pitch deteriorated so badly and so quickly. 

It wasnt that expensive a fix and desperately needed done last season. Not sure whether lack of time was a factor in not just going hybrid when we relaid the surface.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

It wasnt that expensive a fix and desperately needed done last season. Not sure whether lack of time was a factor in not just going hybrid when we relaid the surface.

The cost of relaying the pitch was in excess of £100,000 - it was desperately needed, and let's hope the current pitch is not in a similar state by February.

We did not have the funds (or time) to lay a hybrid pitch last season.

King Of The Cat Cafe

As an aside, I was having lunch in a hotel a few days ago and Sky were showing "classic" English  top flight games from the early 1980s.

The selection seemed to be from January/February - and the playing surface was pure mud down the middle and in the goal areas.

I don't think pitches generally are as bad as they were in the past.  And even then, some cracking games were being played.

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Nah....I think it's a case of I say "sugar" and Ryder will say "shite"      ;)

Not so, mate. The “Google” reference was alluding to KingAntti’s point. 

I am simply saying ting that I doubt we hired some boy who kens nowt about groundskeeping to be our groundskeeper. Then I pointed out that you can trace the shape of the undersoil heating pipes in the balding areas. I also mentioned that when we relaid the pitch it was mentioned at the time that we only relaid the topsoil and that the undersoil was heavily compacted and very old.

I would assume that these are very significant contributing factors rather than our groundskeeper simply not having a clue what he’s doing.

5 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Not so, mate. The “Google” reference was alluding to KingAntti’s point. 

I am simply saying ting that I doubt we hired some boy who kens nowt about groundskeeping to be our groundskeeper. Then I pointed out that you can trace the shape of the undersoil heating pipes in the balding areas. I also mentioned that when we relaid the pitch it was mentioned at the time that we only relaid the topsoil and that the undersoil was heavily compacted and very old.

I would assume that these are very significant contributing factors rather than our groundskeeper simply not having a clue what he’s doing.

Then why mention "Thomaso" in your post?

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Then why mention "Thomaso" in your post?

Because KingAntti was referencing you in his post to me. :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

As an aside, I was having lunch in a hotel a few days ago and Sky were showing "classic" English  top flight games from the early 1980s.

The selection seemed to be from January/February - and the playing surface was pure mud down the middle and in the goal areas.

I don't think pitches generally are as bad as they were in the past.  And even then, some cracking games were being played.

I've noticed that too - how the likes of Leeds, Liverpool and Man United played cracking football on those 70's/80's mud baths is beyond belief!

All the top Clubs have hybrid pitches now - looking forward to getting outs!

18 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I've noticed that too - how the likes of Leeds, Liverpool and Man United played cracking football on those 70's/80's mud baths is beyond belief!

I used to watch: 'The Big Match Revisited' on ITV4 on a Saturday or Sunday morning, it was great viewing. Some of the pitches and football down there before SKY artificially inflated their game could be horrendous at times. You often saw head tennis on quagmires and just the occasional bit of magic in-between the clogging. Unfortunately our cash-strapped game is only just emerging from that period decades later up here.

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I’d love to have a proper chat with you about the park 

3 minutes ago, kila said:

They’ve got 5 lamp rigs apparently

Only Hibs before the winter break and they train on a farm. Advantage Hibs.

They must have brought more in recently - hopefully they help, but from information on these heat lamps we seemingly need more that 5 to make a real difference.

5 minutes ago, 18grantmc74 said:

I’d love to have a proper chat with you about the park 

I take it without the infantile interruptions from Oliver?  ;) 

Just now, Thomaso said:

They must have brought more in recently - hopefully they help, but from information on these heat lamps we seemingly need more that 5 to make a real difference.

Exactly the sort of thing FoH money could help with, without harming our playing budget.

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Exactly the sort of thing FoH money could help with, without harming our playing budget.

Agreed.

I recall reading recently concerns that the pitch was being cut very close-to-the-bone after every game, thus not allowing it soak-up what day light there was.

What's the latest on this theory? 

How come such a good, new pitch has torn up the way it has?

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, Ryder said:

It's not clear though, is it? That's the whole point. We have a professional groundsman who takes care of the thing and Thomaso and yourself are trying to tell me that through a combination of Google and your backyard, you have sussed what is wrong with our turf. I'm sorry, but I have massive doubts about that.

However, the fact that the soil underneath the topsoil is old and compacted and there are very visible 'S' and '8' shapes (pipe network) showing on the turf where it is most sparse, tends to suggest to me that the problem is not as simple as you guys have decided it is. Lets also bear in mind things like cranefly larvae, and other invertebrates which can destroy root systems, as I am sure I remember reading we had an issue with a few years back.

I'm not saying I know everything and you make some good points in last paragraph. What I can say is that we have managed to mess pitch that was perfect in the summer.  That needs investigated and the root cause of the problem resolved before we lay a pitch at the cost of a million

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

So can see from this that you need numerous heat lamp contraptions to be effective.

You may not need anything like that number but I'm sure they'd want you to buy that number.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I'm not saying I know everything and you make some good points in last paragraph. What I can say is that we have managed to mess pitch that was perfect in the summer.  That needs investigated and the root cause of the problem resolved before we lay a pitch at the cost of a million

I know you’re not. I was maybe a bit dickish, sorry. I just doubt we’ve got a total incompetent as a groundsman. Peace out. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

What exactly is a hybrid pitch?

Plastic(?) fibres spread in a network that the grass’ roots bind too and so it doesn’t cut up as much. Most EPL clubs have them. Murrayfield is one also.

Wasn't it the case that the current pitch was laid down on the undersoil which was due to get replaced when we got a hybrid installed? I'm sure i read on here that the undersoil isn't very thick and pitches had a difficult time bedding in and with drainage. Hopefully we are good to go next season with no recurring issue like this.

Archived