Cathro replacement

kingantti1874

kingantti1874

Still think we could miss a trick letting him go. Maybe far too optimistic about this but hopefully Peterhead was a one off. We will soon see I guess

A one off.. :rofl:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still think we could miss a trick letting him go. Maybe far too optimistic about this but hopefully Peterhead was a one off. We will soon see I guess

Other than a personal 'hunch' can you give us any actual evidence to support your opinion?

Maiden Gorgie

Other than a personal 'hunch' can you give us any actual evidence to support your opinion?

No be perfectly honest no I can't. But still think he needs more time, not much more time but time all the same. Let's see where we are come the end of the calendar year

Maiden Gorgie

No to be perfectly honest I can't. But still think he needs more time, not much more time but time all the same. Let's see where we are come the end of the calendar year

No to be perfectly honest I can't. But still think he needs more time, not much more time but time all the same. Let's see where we are come the end of the calendar year

EEEK!

Maiden Gorgie

EEEK!

:lol: yeah these posts might come back and bite me on the arse but still think Cathro is worth a try

:lol: yeah these posts might come back and bite me on the arse but still think Cathro is worth a try

In what position? :tiny:

Maiden Gorgie

The one he is in now. If it isn't working come new year we look at something different

bringonthesevco

Centre Midfield - could he do any worse  ? ...This comment can be taken 2 ways - can he do any worse than our current centre midfield or can he do any worse that he is doing as manager - to be clear I mean both .....

Centre Midfield - could he do any worse  ? ...This comment can be taken 2 ways - can he do any worse than our current centre midfield or can he do any worse that he is doing as manager - to be clear I mean both .....

So did I :tiny:

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

With all the time to reflect on our tremendous start that season, I wonder how much of it was actually down to Burley or was it the players he was given to work with. I am of the opinion now that any half decent boss ( not IC obviously ) would have got a similar performance from probably the best squad of players we had since the 50s. Burley's record since suggests he got lucky.

Did he get lucky at Ipswich too? Must be a lucky guy.

With the greatest respect???Mmm. I think everyone sees the thinking behind levein's model but we don't all happen to agree. Football is always evolving. It is good to invest in the academy but it is no guarantee of success and it seems to many of us we would rather have a head coach with experience, flexibility and motivational qualities. The regular quotes by some on here that think they (and a small number of others) understand Cathro and patience will see us conquer all are becoming more cringeworthy with every passing inept performance.

I'd say that the academy is central to the philosophy.  This is where most of our players are going to be coming from in the future!

So are the Board not competent enough to find a Coach that fits in with all the criteria you highlight for say a two year period to allow the home bred coaches to watch and learn?

Who knows!  As has been mentioned earlier, the likes of Houston to steady the ship until the academy starts producing....

I'd say that the academy is central to the philosophy.  This is where WE  ALL HOPE most of our players are going to be coming from in the future!

Who knows!  As has been mentioned earlier, the likes of Houston to steady the ship until the academy starts producing....

Wee change perhaps?

Wee change perhaps?

I guess so, but if the academy doesn't produce, then the whole theory falls apart, imo.

I guess so, but if the academy doesn't produce, then the whole theory falls apart, imo.

More convinced the academy will work than the trainee coach theory!

If we do get rid of Cathro soon, we should shelve the succession of young managers thing and get Peter Houston in on a 2 year contract to stabalise the playing side of things instead of looking for another young coach. I like the young up and coming coach and DoF model if it works for the club as a while (i.e. the youth teams too) but it's clear a section of ours support will not back the club while we do it so it could be self-defeating to persist with it IF Cathro fails. Fan impatience could end up being our downfall here, which is a shame as we're being quite progressive and trying something different. It would be very easy to return to the same old rotating door of familiar managers, which we may well do.

Houston is the only realistic current candidate I can see who ticks various boxes: knows and likes Hearts, has worked with Levein in a similar set-up, has had good success in Scotland, experienced but not a dinosaur...

Or, a more ambitious candidate would be Michael O'Neil, but probably not such a safe pair of hands.

Holyrood_Hearts

If (when) Cathro goes, we won't replace him with a Jon Daly/Liam Fox type.

If the team starts badly this season & Cathro goes,there's no chance we will take a risk on promoting either of them to Head Coach.

Rocky jamboa

Why are you lumping Jack Ross a man with 6 months experience with Hartley and Pressley who both have 5+ years management experience

I would say 5 years is pretty inexperienced also, especially with both managing at a relatively low level and with not much success.

For me, I would prefer to go for an older manager, with more experience and a better track record.

I'm all for giving Cathro the first 6 games or so, to see how we get on with the new guys but if no improvement on last season, we need to move pretty quick to bring someone else in, to avoid another wasted season.

I would say 5 years is pretty inexperienced also, especially with both managing at a relatively low level and with not much success.

For me, I would prefer to go for an older manager, with more experience and a better track record.

I'm all for giving Cathro the first 6 games or so, to see how we get on with the new guys but if no improvement on last season, we need to move pretty quick to bring someone else in, to avoid another wasted season.

Define a "wasted season". Most seasons end up with us out the cups at a fairly early stage and milling around anywhere between 3rd and 5th in the league. Every so often we get a good cup run and challenge for 2nd or are clear in 3rd, but I don't think following Hearts is wasted if we do badly. 

Lucille's Thirsty

Define a "wasted season". Most seasons end up with us out the cups at a fairly early stage and milling around anywhere between 3rd and 5th in the league. Every so often we get a good cup run and challenge for 2nd or are clear in 3rd, but I don't think following Hearts is wasted if we do badly.

A wasted season?

It's over before it's started,going into every other season we have optimism but unless Cathro miraculously find some talent we all know what's going to happen.

Rocky jamboa

We should be challenging for 2nd. Last season, we were fighting to finish top 6! We were so far behind 2nd so for me, that was a wasted season.

If we get off to a poor start this season, we will be fighting for top 6 again, which is way below where we should be.

Would love to see George Burley back in charge. Can't see him working under Levein though.

Good to see the

"Clean slate" , "fresh begining" , "first round of fixtures", "get his own team", "give him time" brigade are true to Thier word.....

I think it fair comment to discuss options after 9 months and little sign of improvement. I'm not for sacking Cathro yet, as it will definitely mean another messy season in the league. Truth is there are a few more options out there than there were in January. My preferred one of Paul Hartley being one of them

Walter Bishop

We lack a motivator, simple.

At the top level of the game teams have coaches that take training and carry out instructions from managers, this is what I believe Cathro is and should be, a first team coach.

We require someone above him, not a DOF,and certainly not Levein!We need a manager,Someone that will tear the team to shreds after a 2-1 defeat to Peterhead, someone who instructs his coaching team on a weekly basis on what he wants done with the team and then oversees and intervenes if necessary.

My preference for this role would be someone like Tommy Wright or Peter Houston.

We lack a motivator, simple.

At the top level of the game teams have coaches that take training and carry out instructions from managers, this is what I believe Cathro is and should be, a first team coach.

We require someone above him, not a DOF,and certainly not Levein!We need a manager,Someone that will tear the team to shreds after a 2-1 defeat to Peterhead, someone who instructs his coaching team on a weekly basis on what he wants done with the team and then oversees and intervenes if necessary.

My preference for this role would be someone like Tommy Wright or Peter Houston.

It's not all about a motivator these players shouldn't need a bollocking for getting beat at Peterhead. It's about attitude, professionalism, clear game plans, a style of play that wins games and in game management.

For me we lack far too many of those attributes to be successful. We have a laboured pedestrian style that's easy to counter, we lack a desire to win and we are bullied far too much. When we go behind there never seems to be a plan to turn the game, equally if we get a lead we never look overly confident of retaining it or increasing it.

The problem is a complete lack of experience in the dug out. Now here's the problem Cathro knows the game and undoubtedly can see exactly what we see and I'm certain what we see is not what he wants and only through perseverance and hard work from the players will it come together. In time he gets the experience required also. But how long that takes is the million dollar question and can the club at this junction in its development afford to wait on this happening.

I've said for a long while either Levein gets the tracksuit back on and gets into the dug out or we appoint Peter Houston to take over and mentor Cathro and MacPhee for the next two seasons only then will they be ready and so will our academy.

This is not a business that can organically grow like Ann Budges other companies have. We are the shareholders and we will not wait and watch while the club gets dragged down the league and put out of cups early every single season.

Been watching Hearts since the mid to late 70's and in terms of actual talent on the ball, always thought Johnston he was one of the very best. Was at Ibrox, when he got his hat-trick, which was incredible.

As a manager he clearly likes to play fast attacking football, which would certainly endear him to the Hearts support. Was outstanding at Queen of the South, before Killie, which has been pretty toxic and difficult since JJ left. Good to see him do well again.

If and when Cathro's time is up, we could do a lot worse.

Magic is doing a pretty good job with Dunfermline. Just sayin. 

Good luck to him but come on man if you are suggesting replacing Ian 'Jemini' Cathro with another inexperienced young manager. 

Good luck to him but come on man if you are suggesting replacing Ian 'Jemini' Cathro with another inexperienced young manager.

Has been a manager for over 5 years now, so I'm not sure inexperienced is correct.

Has been a manager for over 5 years now, so I'm not sure inexperienced is correct.

Definite no from me. I want someone with the management grey hair at least.  Or no hair in Houston's case.

If (when) Cathro goes, we won't replace him with a Jon Daly/Liam Fox type.

If the team starts badly this season & Cathro goes,there's no chance we will take a risk on promoting either of them to Head Coach.

But that is all part of Levein's ego driven fantasy plan - "promote from within to ensure continuity"

Sounds great eh - but in real life it does not work - apart from Liverpool in the past where they had Paisley, Fagan and Evans in their Boot Room!!

HMFC need an experienced manager with a proven track record that can motivate the team - and for that to happen Levein needs to go!

gowestjambo

But that is all part of Levein's ego driven fantasy plan - "promote from within to ensure continuity"

Sounds great eh - but in real life it does not work - apart from Liverpool in the past where they had Paisley, Fagan and Evans in their Boot Room!!

HMFC need an experienced manager with a proven track record that can motivate the team - and for that to happen Levein needs to go!

Correct regarding above comment. It should be clear to everyone that the system is not working. Give Cathro to Xmas Really? We were lucky to beat Elgin, struggled to beat East Fife and been humiliated by Peterhead. And Cathro's response is "We did not manage the scoreline". 3 different sets of players using his system still produces a style slightly above walking football. This experiment needs to stop right now, and if Levein is not prepared to take over the Managers job - he needs to go!

Definite no from me. I want someone with the management grey hair at least. Or no hair in Houston's case.

Peter Houston :rofl:

A_A wehatethehibs

What about big Sam? Now there's a proven track record. He will fit right in in Scotland everyone is on the take up here

Archived