McInnes off to Sunderland?

davieholt

Aye, we've been hearing this from Hearts fans for two years now.

Hearts have just finished 30 (thirty) points behind Aberdeen. It's going to take a lot more than a new stand and Christophe Berra to close that gap.

Aberdeen have just finished 30 (thirty) points behind Celtic. Yet every Dons fan I know seems to think they are now world-beaters!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt they were second best this season but if Mcinnes goes then the team will break up as a new manager will want his own players in and Aberdeen will have to start again, so they are now peaked. Unfortunately from the peak the only way is down and next season will be very different. Second will be up for grabs again, and we just need to make sure it isn't The Rangers.

Berra being a good first signing for us in challenging for that spot, after the players are sorted then we just need Cathro to start to earn his pay and things are looking good for next season.

If someone writes a sarcastic post aimed at me I'm perfectly entitled to write one back.

No, you're not.

You're not a Hearts fan therefore have to tread a little more carefully...imo.

La_Leyenda

Hows your new stadium coming along? You chucked up that new train station yet?

Btw - i'd wager that Aberdeen will NOT finish 30 points ahead of Hearts next year.

Thus, the gap WILL close.

Feel free to take that bet if you wish.

Nah you're probably right.

Our Europa League group involvement and the extra games will likely mean it'll be more like a 25 point gap.

McIness to Sunderland and Neilson to MK Franchise FC? Shows how far Aberdeen are ahead of us atm.

La_Leyenda

The last 3 years seem to have caused some collective amnesia .. what about the 20 years prior to that ..

They're irrelevant to the point that was raised, which was Aberdeen are about to go into freefall while Hearts (and Rangers too it seems) are on the up. Also Hibs are boasting they'll finish above us too.

I'm pointing out we've heard the same thing for 2/3 years now. What would 20 years ago have to do with anything?

They're irrelevant to the point that was raised, which was Aberdeen are about to go into freefall while Hearts (and Rangers too it seems) are on the up. Also Hibs are boasting they'll finish above us too.

I'm pointing out we've heard the same thing for 2/3 years now. What would 20 years ago have to do with anything?

How many Big Cups have Aberdeen won since 98?

cosanostra

McIness to Sunderland and Neilson to MK Franchise FC? Shows how far Aberdeen are ahead of us atm.

McInnes has a longer track record of good results in the Scottish Premiership.

Neilson had one outstanding season and found it hard to keep up the momentum at a higher level which is understandable.

His second season wasn't great and his third was littered with inconsistency and terrible football.

His record of signings also seemed to be heading towards disastrous after an excellent start.

He'd lost a section of the support as well (arseholes maybe but vociferous ones) and much of the rest of the support was starting to doubt him. I think he knew that he had to get out while he still had some of the aura of success about him and jumped ship to a tiny club in England.

He's also correct in saying that he'll be noticed down there.

I'd besurprised if McInnes gets the Sunderland job but he'll clearly move onto a bigger club than Aberdeen.

It always amazes me the amount of people struggle to spell 'McInnes' correctly. We managed all these Liff names in the past, but we struggle wae this guide honest Scoatish name!!

How many years ago did we finish above Aberdeen? There's arguments both sides.

I am really not wanting to go into a Dandy Jambo debate as quite frankly its all a bit pass? however only cause you threw in your threepenny bit...

I was actually referring to more than just the last 4 or 5 years, I was meaning 25 plus years, almost since the Dandies last won the SC type thing...

I dont know the stats, only what my memory tells me of the time but the Dandies have been laughable since the early 90's prior to a wee upsurge under Calderwood and more so McInnes....

My comments were surrounding them when McInnes does F-off that they will be nowhere as strong as they have been under him, such is the strength of his managerial prowess...

Like I say though, been there done that re dandy debates...

In short take away a decade or so from late 70's and they dont really figure much in the history books of Scottish football...granted in that time they definitely made up for it absolutely but overall considering the money that has been in that area and being a one club city, they have been very average.....

As a neutral, was going to watch the game today with a wee tendency to root for Scaberdeen, but after red titty and his pals always cluttering up JKB, I hope the Mhanks pump them bandy, then McInnes leaves them.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

How Aberdeen react to the break up of this team will be interesting, the continuity has been priceless.

IveSeenTheLight

How Aberdeen react to the break up of this team will be interesting, the continuity has been priceless.

I think we will get continuity and promote from within.

Watt-Zeefuik

ame="Sir Gio" post="6033379" timestamp="1495747424"]

Yes they were. But on Neilson's last day prior to the Rangers game do you agree that Hearts were a point behind Aberdeen having played a game more? And do you also agree that on the day of his last game Aberdeen were not scheduled to play one of their two games in hand? So with that in mind it was a bit of a false second place surely as he only obtained that position on his very last day due to having a massive advantage of having played two games more? Agree or disagree? If you disagree then going by your logic next time I watch the US Masters on the final Sunday I'm going to declare the first clubhouse leader as the winner of the tournament. The fact that the other golfers who started the day with a better score hence them teeing off later in the day will obviously be irrelevant

This nitpicking is silly.  Hearts were above Aberdeen in the table and Aberdeen got 3 points from its next two games.  You can cut this a number of ways but the fact remains we were roughly level on points and Hearts had a higher goal difference.  If you're here to make navel gazing arguments then f--- off back to a Dons board.

I rate McInnes and if he leaves I think it'll be a massive blow for Aberdeen. Ultimately Aberdeen blew its biggest chance to get a title in decades last season and with the way things look won't have that opportunity for a while now.

Thought Police

If I was McInnes I'd be off. Today just showed that you can put absolutely everything into it, and be on top for large periods, and you still can't beat this Celtic team.

Scotland has a glass ceiling at the moment and he's been hitting it for a while now.

If I was McInnes I'd be off. Today just showed that you can put absolutely everything into it, and be on top for large periods, and you still can't beat this Celtic team.

Scotland has a glass ceiling at the moment and he's been hitting it for a while now.

Just proves that you can't beat money - especially if it's well spent.

kingantti1874

Point is Aberdeen fans can out with the same stuff when we held the upper hand for a very long time.. You've had a free run and done very very well.. No doubt that.. But I don't see how it is sustainable.. Punching well above weight.

Maroon Sailor

Just proves that you can't beat money - especially if it's well spent.

Can't beat money if you are the only club in the country that has any !

Jambof3tornado

It always amazes me the amount of people struggle to spell 'McInnes' correctly. We managed all these Liff names in the past, but we struggle wae this guide honest Scoatish name!!

Aye but the liffs all had a backup for bad spellers.....no27.......no34 etc etc

Would love Wright to go there

Would show up the pro Wright loyalists on here somewhat as he would fail miserably.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Archibald will be Aberdeen manager by August. McInnes best mate

In order for the scottish game to progress, Aberdeen have got to find a way of building on this season. The biggest problem is teams getting to second or third and then dropping away for next few seasons, the building process almost starts all over again.

I agree. Aberdeen are clearly Scotland's second best team at the moment and that's as good as it will ever get. Demoralising for all.

socrates82

In order for the scottish game to progress, Aberdeen have got to find a way of building on this season. The biggest problem is teams getting to second or third and then dropping away for next few seasons, the building process almost starts all over again.

We've done that ourselves many times.

What's wrong with wanting Hearts to build and progress and get 2nd maybe even closer to Celtic than the mutton molesters.?

Maybe it's just me but I couldn't give a flying feck about them or any other teams, Scottish football is pish has been for 20+ years and until the bigot sisters either feck off or go out of business then it will always be like this.

Maybe get a team coming through every so often and putting in a decent challenge up to a point but unless anyone has a spare 20-30 million to splash on players and wages the gap is just going to get bigger.

Aberdeen and the others are our main rivals, do I want them to progress do I feck. Do I want them to challenge? No feckin way cause that means we lose out. I'll question anyones Hearts credentials that genuinely has that mentality of wanting other teams to build on their season or progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What's wrong with wanting Hearts to build and progress and get 2nd maybe even closer to Celtic than the mutton molesters.?

Maybe it's just me but I couldn't give a flying feck about them or any other teams, Scottish football is pish has been for 20+ years and until the bigot sisters either feck off or go out of business then it will always be like this.

Maybe get a team coming through every so often and putting in a decent challenge up to a point but unless anyone has a spare 20-30 million to splash on players and wages the gap is just going to get bigger.

Aberdeen and the others are our main rivals, do I want them to progress do I feck. Do I want them to challenge? No feckin way cause that means we lose out. I'll question anyones Hearts credentials that genuinely has that mentality of wanting other teams to build on their season or progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. That could be a costly goal that for Aberdeen. End of an era thing. Helps us their standing is diminished by departures

ford donald

I think we will get continuity and promote from within.

Downward trend now..

Nookie Bear

Would show up the pro Wright loyalists on here somewhat as he would fail miserably.

Would he?

David McCaig

Aberdeen have had a good few years, but ultimately they are now at the end of an era.

McInnes is set to move on as are, McGinn, Pawlett, McLean and Jack. They will struggle to replace those players and it should be remembered that for a spell of 2-3 years they faced no opposition to signing players from the chaos that was ensuing old/new Rangers, Hearts and Hibs.

The fear for Aberdeen is that crowds have been really poor this year with a good team. If Aberdeen slip back to 5th next season crowds will plummet below the 10k mark.

Hearts may have been awful on the park this year, but the loyalty of our fans has comfortably surpassed Aberdeen and the same can be said for all of the 5 years that they have finished above us.

La_Leyenda

Point is Aberdeen fans can out with the same stuff when we held the upper hand for a very long time.. You've had a free run and done very very well.. No doubt that.. But I don't see how it is sustainable.. Punching well above weight.

That's a throwaway comment made in football a lot without any real meaning. You're either good enough to do something or you aren't.

Keeping it sustainable will simply come down to doing the same things we've already done. It's not like we've been spending huge sums of cash and now have to reign it in. We've bought one player for ?200,000 and spent ?42,000 a week on wages.

kingantti1874

That's a throwaway comment made in football a lot without any real meaning. You're either good enough to do something or you aren't.

Keeping it sustainable will simply come down to doing the same things we've already done. It's not like we've been spending huge sums of cash and now have to reign it in. We've bought one player for ?200,000 and spent ?42,000 a week on wages.

I think Aberdeen s a city is struggling economically, I think Aberdeen as a club have a long way to go and lot of money to find before they can achieve par with the Glasgow and Edinburgh clubs in terms of infrastructure, home gates are now clearly 5th in Scotland at a time when this really is as good as it gets, if form dips a little, if you do find the finds to move to new site I don't see how attendancez will be maintained. To date though Finances have held up really well in largely due to on field success.

I'm not taking anything away from achievement over the last few years.. But Mcinnes has maximised achievement at a time when the other contenders faded away.. He will leave and hearts, rangers and hibs will get our act together at some point..

alicante jambo

In the last 20 seasons we've finished ahead of Aberdeen 11 times and they've finished ahead of us 9 times. We've won 3 Scottish Cups, they've won the League Cup once. Our crowds have been bigger than theirs 18 times. They have had bigger crowds twice.

Well there you have it.Nice facts bud.

Seymour M Hersh

I see Brenda now thinks McInnes would be a perfect fit for Sunderland. How he knows that though is beyond me.

Watt-Zeefuik

I think Wright would be a step down from McInnes but if he can keep St. Johnstone in the top 6 regularly no reason to think he couldn't keep Aberdeen in the top 4.

jamboinglasgow

I think Wright would be a step down from McInnes but if he can keep St. Johnstone in the top 6 regularly no reason to think he couldn't keep Aberdeen in the top 4.

Think he would come under different pressure from Aberdeen fans, if he plays his usual dull but effective football at Aberdeen (which works for St Johnstone to punch above their weight and fans put up with for that (though still moan about it)) I think Aberdeen fans will not be happy.

Aberdeen are going to undergo a great deal of change this close season

Some of their top players and squad players are leaving....losing Jack, Pawlett, Taylor, McGinn and with McLean in the last year of his deal (with a good chance of leaving as well) they will change on the playing front and if the manager leaves who knows how that will go.

They will also see Christie return to Celtic but perhaps the most important thing will be the planning application for the new stadium the result of which should come in September/October 2017...should that not be approved it would be a major blow.

Rather than Aberdeen taking a step back, it would be far better to see other clubs taking a step(or 2) forward, thats the only way this league will ever improve.

In the last 20 seasons we've finished ahead of Aberdeen 11 times and they've finished ahead of us 9 times. We've won 3 Scottish Cups, they've won the League Cup once. Our crowds have been bigger than theirs 18 times. They have had bigger crowds twice.

Aye but they're famous didn't you know? And they stand free and all that.

socrates82

Rather than Aberdeen taking a step back, it would be far better to see other clubs taking a step(or 2) forward, thats the only way this league will ever improve.

Unfortunately it is what it is. There's Celtic and there's the rest. What Celtic do means nothing to us. A weaker Aberdeen though is great news for us.

Lucille's Thirsty

The difference between us and Aberdeen is significant if we had done what they've done over the last 3 years would our home crowds be as low as 12K don't think so.

Aberdeen fans saying losing to Celtic in final yesterday wasn't devastating whereas if that was Hearts our fans would be in uproar.

You may call us unrealistic but Hearts fans want our club to strive to be the best not settling for less.

bajthejambo

Johnny Hayes to be the subject of a bid from none other than Celtic.

At least they will get a decent transfer fee for him.

J.T.F.Robertson

Give them a bit of credit, ffs. For us to denigrate what they've done over the last few years only succeeds in making us appear small.

Concentrate on us.

Jason Dufner

I don't think the fact they've done well over the last couple of years can be argued.

They are losing players they won't be able to replace and I expect (Or at least it should be Hearts expectation) that we finish above them next season.

Anything less than top 3 isn't acceptable.

Always a tough transition getting a new manager.

Aberdeen's challenge is getting their younger players in. Possibily where they lost the Cup. McInnes didn't trust his young players to come on and win the game.

Though their new ground financing is their biggest challenge.

Carl Fredrickson

I dont think DM is Sunderlands first choice. Walter Smith has recommended him as Bain asked Smith to help pick Sunderlands next manager. 

However, I am hearing that Sunderland would rather go with someone with better experience and results down south. DM failed miserably at Bristol City and Short has his doubts about him. 

DM did well at Saint J and Aberdeen and has done all that he can in Scotland as long as Celtic have the financial power that they currently have. He will no doubt get a move south but I dont think Sunderland is the best club for him as they are in freefall and are huge amounts in debt with a crap squad. 

La_Leyenda

I'm not taking anything away from achievement over the last few years.. But Mcinnes has maximised achievement at a time when the other contenders faded away.. He will leave and hearts, rangers and hibs will get our act together at some point..

Again, like all the Hearts fans in this thread, absolutely nothing to back up your statements.

Why will Aberdeen struggle to replace these players, yet Hearts seemingly will be able to sign better players without any problems?

chester copperpot

Johnny Hayes to be the subject of a bid from none other than Celtic.

At least they will get a decent transfer fee for him.

Where did u hear this.

That's news to me likes

Chester™

Where did u hear this.

That's news to me likes

Its on the BBC and various other outlets today.

Archived