2010-11    55    194
2011-12    56    195
2012-13    56    192
2013-14    53    194
2014-15    58    225

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of Scotland's teams getting pumped while Hearts lift the trophy should still boost the co-efficient.

Make it happen King Robbie. :jjyay:

Gorgie_Rules

Does any body know if you gain co-efficient points for each win or has it changed to what round you make it too? If hasn't change then 2 from 2 for us and could do with beating Birkirkara both legs

Watt-Zeefuik

I'd like the order of elimination of Scottish teams to go roughly Hibs, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts.  That said, Scotland's coefficient is historically low right now due to an excess of Motherwell, so I can't help for Hearts' sake wanting all the clubs to win through a couple of rounds to boost it up.

So long as everyone else is eliminated by the time we make the knockout stages. :jjyay:

Watt-Zeefuik

Also, apparently Teemu Pukki plays for Brondby now.  That should give Hibs some hope.

IveSeenTheLight

We beat Rijeka in the 3rd round, take their seeding and then are the seeded team playing against one of the bottom unseeded teams... boom hearts are in the group stages!

As others have pointed out, the Play off seeding does not carry over from the third round.

With regards to Rijeka, we got a very good result away from home against them. It was unexpected and they are a really good team.

To come away with a 0-3 win where they did not lose another game at home all season and they have only now lost 2 games at home in 20 European games, was an incredible result.

They deserved a 2 goal lead at Pittodrie and if it was not for them chasing the game and us getting a home goal just after their 2nd, they could have turned round the result.

Rijeka are a very good team and not one you would want to pull out of the hat.

HeartOfWestLothian

What teams would be considered good draws for us in the third round?

Looking at the teams involved I really don't know much about some of them. Could we expect to defeat sides like Omonia and Apollon Limassoi from Cyprus, Dinamo Minsk from Belarus?

Obviously we would want to avoid the likes of West Ham, Alkmaar, Genk, Gent, Spartak Moscow etc.

John Findlay

In a nutshell. A very tough ask to get into the group stages. If we did achieve that. It would be a very good effort indeed.

Does any body know if you gain co-efficient points for each win or has it changed to what round you make it too? If hasn't change then 2 from 2 for us and could do with beating Birkirkara both legs

the club only gains points for every round they get through. The country points are added to for every point each team gains. Here is a wee bit from the site explaining how clubs gain points

The UEFA team coefficients are calculated as the sum of the number of points of each individual team, and 20% of the country coefficient. From 2004-2008 the contribution of the country coefficient was 33%, and before 2004 the contribution of the country coefficient was 50%. See theteam coefficients of 2012 for an example of such a calculation.

For the team ranking the match results in qualifying rounds do not count. From 2009 on qualification for the Champions League and the Europa League is rewarded with a number of points based on the reached qualifying round:

Champions League Europa League

Q1 0.50                        0.25

Q2 1.00                        0.50

Q3 -                              1.00

Q4 -                              1.50

group stage -                2.00 (minimum)

These qualification points are not cumulative. The 3rd and 4th qualifying round of the Champions League are not rewarded with points because losing teams qualify for the next stage in the Europa League. The group stage of the Champions League is already rewarded with bonus points (see above). The two points for the group stage of the Europa League are a minimum and will not be added to the points obtained during the group stage. So, all participating teams get at least some qualification or bonus points.

Dalstonjambo

I think Hibs will surprise, generally the quality in Scotland has lifted a bit in recent years. I suspect they will run Brondby close and might even get through. I also expect us, Aberdeen and Celtic to progress to the next stages. That would have a very positive hit on the coefficient.

I would be very surprised if Hibs get anything less than a complete hammering. 

Heartsmad1874

Celtic match away live on BT sport Europe 7pm kick off tonight (Tuesday)

Is it live on BT? I heard Premier Sports had the rights to it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On BT site there is a whole article just been published re BT showing the match

Heartsmad1874

On BT site there is a whole article just been published re BT showing the match

Think my Sky+ needs to sort its shit out, sorry mate. 6.45pm BT Sport 2

They did announce it (along with our game) but all trace has disappeared from their listings

Ferryjambo99

What teams would be considered good draws for us in the third round?

Looking at the teams involved I really don't know much about some of them. Could we expect to defeat sides like Omonia and Apollon Limassoi from Cyprus, Dinamo Minsk from Belarus?

Obviously we would want to avoid the likes of West Ham, Alkmaar, Genk, Gent, Spartak Moscow etc.

St Johnstone played fc Minsk and took them to penalties so I'd fancy out chances against them

They did announce it (along with our game) but all trace has disappeared from their listings

Late change of station it seems and it is on BT now...........I guess this may have been a late bid by BT just to show Rodgers first match and perhaps there was not the money there for Premier Sports

Heartsmad1874

They better have a bib big enough for Chris Sutton as he will most likely slaver alot of pish about this new look Celtic team

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/five-other-shockers-from-scottish-clubs-in-european-football-1-4176033

Attempts already being made to dull celtics humiliation by reminding people of past shockers.

Seriously though what the actual **** is our result against Spurs doing on that list. "Goals from Van Der Vaart, Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Livermore.....aye really comparable to getting it dry from a labourer, police man and civil servant. Welts.

John Findlay

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/five-other-shockers-from-scottish-clubs-in-european-football-1-4176033

Attempts already being made to dull celtics humiliation by reminding people of past shockers.

Seriously though what the actual **** is our result against Spurs doing on that list. "Goals from Van Der Vaart, Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Livermore.....aye really comparable to getting it dry from a labourer, police man and civil servant. Welts.

Anything to deflect from Hibs total humiliation at the hands of Malmo.

• Draw procedure

? In the seeding pots released on the morning of the draw, the teams are ranked by their coefficient or, in the case of clubs emerging from the 33 second qualifying round ties (played on 14 and 21 July), by the higher of the two coefficients involved ? with 29 sides classified as seeded.

? The teams are further split into five groups containing an equal number of seeded and unseeded contenders. Each seeded club will meet an unseeded opponent from within the same group.

? Group 1 will be drawn separately to the other groups as it has a different number of teams.

? Ties played on 28 July and 4 August.

There are some teams who are unseeded in this 2nd qualifying round who are playing seeded sides who are also going to be seeded in the next round unless they are beaten in this round. In which case the unseeded team who knocks them out takes their coefficient score and becomes seeded for the next round (3rd qualifying round).........the more those unseeded teams knock out seeds the better the chances of getting a weaker draw (on paper at least). On the 15th we will go into one of the groups meaning we can only play one of the 'seeds' in that group.

In effect there are 2 draws on the 15th July.....one to get into the groups and one to pick the 'seeded' side we would play from the group we are placed in..

• Draw procedure
? In the seeding pots released on the morning of the draw, the teams are ranked by their coefficient or, in the case of clubs emerging from the 33 second qualifying round ties (played on 14 and 21 July), by the higher of the two coefficients involved ? with 29 sides classified as seeded.

? The teams are further split into five groups containing an equal number of seeded and unseeded contenders. Each seeded club will meet an unseeded opponent from within the same group.

? Group 1 will be drawn separately to the other groups as it has a different number of teams.

? Ties played on 28 July and 4 August.

There are some teams who are unseeded in this 2nd qualifying round who are playing seeded sides who are also going to be seeded in the next round unless they are beaten in this round. In which case the unseeded team who knocks them out takes their coefficient score and becomes seeded for the next round (3rd qualifying round).........the more those unseeded teams knock out seeds the better the chances of getting a weaker draw (on paper at least). On the 15th we will go into one of the groups meaning we can only play one of the 'seeds' in that group.

In effect there are 2 draws on the 15th July.....one to get into the groups and one to pick the 'seeded' side we would play from the group we are placed in..

Are the unseeded teams at home 1st leg I.e if we get through we will be home on the 28th and away 4th Aug?

Also, apparently Teemu Pukki plays for Brondby now. That should give Hibs some hope.

In fairness 2 of his 7 league goals for them were against us and one was against Hibs.

Brondby -2 is 11/1 on Paddy Power btw. Just saying.

Heartsmad1874

Are the unseeded teams at home 1st leg I.e if we get through we will be home on the 28th and away 4th Aug?

What they do is they put teams into groups of 10 or something number them all 1-10 Seeded 1-5 Unseeded 6-10. They then draw the fixtures so it could be like 8 v 3 or 4 v 9 so you don't really know prior to the draw about home or away first. Plus Uefa can always change the ties if theirs conflicting scheduling issues.

What they do is they put teams into groups of 10 or something number them all 1-10 Seeded 1-5 Unseeded 6-10. They then draw the fixtures so it could be like 8 v 3 or 4 v 9 so you don't really know prior to the draw about home or away first. Plus Uefa can always change the ties if theirs conflicting scheduling issues.

Cheers

6 teams have made it through from qualifying round 1

Fulham    2012

Internazionale    2013

Twente (Enschede)    2013

Rosenborg    2013

Qabala FK    2016

Rosenborg    2016

How on earth were teams like Twente, Rosenborg and Inter playing in qualifying round 1?

Heartsmad1874

How on earth were teams like Twente, Rosenborg and Inter playing in qualifying round 1?

The Uefa Fair play league. They were all top of their own domestic fair play so because their country was ranked highest in the Uefa fair play rankings they were all given a space. Scrapped this year

michael_bolton

Celtic's result last night is very funny, and don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it very much.

But when talking about the co-efficient, we have to acknowledge that we now have a choice between a worsening co-efficient and choosing when we play our football.

The standard of Scottish football is clearly lower than has been the case historically, but there's simply no way Celtic lose to a side from Gibraltar if it isn't their first game of the season being played in mid-July

In 2003-04 our first European game was on September 24th. It was our eighth competitive game of the season and came a full two months and eight days after our first pre-season game. In 2004-05 our first European game was held on September 16th. It was our sixth competitive game and came two months and four days after our first pre-season friendly.

This season, us and Aberdeen got underway on the 30th of June. That's two and a half months earlier than the old norm. We struggled at home against an Estonian side. Aberdeen lost in Luxembourg and now Celtic have lost in Gibraltar.

Moving the season so that our sides are physically ready for these games will not make our sides world-beaters, but it would maximise our chances of success. Our record in qualifying rounds in recent seasons is utter mince. Let's not forget Motherwell lost at home to a Welsh side in their first game of the season a while ago. Moving the season will vastly decrease the chances of these things happening.

I know some people are completely opposed to summer football - and that's fair enough. But it's becoming increasingly obvious that our season isn't designed for clubs competing in the early stages of European competition and we are clearly suffering for it.

I'm pretty sure that the Gibraltar league starts and ends at a similar time to the Scottish League so that excuse doesn't work so well unlike if you're playing a team already halfway through their season.

Scottish football is simply not very good right now. 

michael_bolton

I'm pretty sure that the Gibraltar league starts and ends at a similar time to the Scottish League so that excuse doesn't work so well unlike if you're playing a team already halfway through their season.

Scottish football is simply not very good right now. 

It does work. The lack of preparation is a leveller. It's better for the weaker team for both teams to be playing cold than it is for the stronger team.

For example, if we played East Stirlingshire in October we'd probably punt a few past them. If we played them when it was the first or second time either team had looked at a ball that season, it would probably be closer.

Our current footballing calendar is out-dated and corresponds to a football world (and holiday world) that doesn't exist anymore. All we're doing now is making it harder for our teams.

It does work. The lack of preparation is a leveller. It's better for the weaker team for both teams to be playing cold than it is for the stronger team.

For example, if we played East Stirlingshire in October we'd probably punt a few past them. If we played them when it was the first or second time either team had looked at a ball that season, it would probably be closer.

Our current footballing calendar is out-dated and corresponds to a football world (and holiday world) that doesn't exist anymore. All we're doing now is making it harder for our teams.

Yes, it works but it works better if one team is fully prepared and one hasn't played any competitive matches for weeks.  There's absolutely no excuse for Celtic losing to a team from Gibraltar.

I agree that it's important to try to improve Scottish football and consider things like changing the dates of the season but Celtic completely embarrassed themselves last night and, considering the amount of money their squad will be on, things like neither side being in the middle of their season is not a good excuse for their defeat.

michael_bolton

Yes, it works but it works better if one team is fully prepared and one hasn't played any competitive matches for weeks.  There's absolutely no excuse for Celtic losing to a team from Gibraltar.

I agree that it's important to try to improve Scottish football and consider things like changing the dates of the season but Celtic completely embarrassed themselves last night and, considering the amount of money their squad will be on, things like neither side being in the middle of their season is not a good excuse for their defeat.

I'm not excusing them. I think it's hilarious.

But if we're being serious, that result would be exceptionally unlikely if Celtic were fit and prepared and fully match-fit.

You can't worry too much about being beaten by better teams. But since we started having early summer qualifiers Scottish teams have lost games to teams from Luxembourg, Wales, Belarus, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Gibraltar, Iceland, Slovakia and Liechtenstein. Only Belarus, of those countries, is now ranked higher than us. These teams are not better than our teams.

We've also had a side lose 9-0 on aggregate. We've had a side lose 7-2 on aggregate. We've had a side lose 8-1 on aggregate. None of them to top-quality opposition.

Since the qualifying rounds moved earlier, Scotland's performance has fallen off a cliff. You'd need to be blind to not see the damage our winter schedule does to our chances of any kind of run in Europe.

The Treasurer

I'm not excusing them. I think it's hilarious.

But if we're being serious, that result would be exceptionally unlikely if Celtic were fit and prepared and fully match-fit.

You can't worry too much about being beaten by better teams. But since we started having early summer qualifiers Scottish teams have lost games to teams from Luxembourg, Wales, Belarus, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Gibraltar, Iceland, Slovakia and Liechtenstein. Only Belarus, of those countries, is now ranked higher than us. These teams are not better than our teams.

We've also had a side lose 9-0 on aggregate. We've had a side lose 7-2 on aggregate. We've had a side lose 8-1 on aggregate. None of them to top-quality opposition.

Since the qualifying rounds moved earlier, Scotland's performance has fallen off a cliff. You'd need to be blind to not see the damage our winter schedule does to our chances of any kind of run in Europe.

If the timing of our season is such an important factor, how come other countries with a similar season to ours seem to manage ok when it comes to Euro qualifiers ?

michael_bolton

If the timing of our season is such an important factor, how come other countries with a similar season to ours seem to manage ok when it comes to Euro qualifiers ?

Do they really?

All the countries whose teams have won games against ours that I listed (except Belarus) remain below us in the rankings. We're not losing to teams that are better than ours. We're losing because we're not prepared.

Do you really think Aberdeen are at a level that should be losing to a team from Luxembourg? Do you not think the Swedish football calendar contributed to the 9-0 Hibs result? Do you think a match-sharp Celtic would have lost to a team from Gibraltar?

You have to remember who we play against in these qualifiers. Often it's going to be teams who have a summer season. This immediately puts our teams at a disadvantage. And if we are playing weaker teams from countries with a winter season like ours, then we lose the advantage of quality because our teams aren't fully fit.

Whatever way you frame it, our system is a disadvantage for teams in the early stages of European competition.

Heartsmad1874

edcc797f11f3e380d92c02d1203ff7ef.jpg

Hibs have only sold out 3 sections for tonight :rofl: Embarrasment of a club

The Treasurer

Do they really?

All the countries whose teams have won games against ours that I listed (except Belarus) remain below us in the rankings. We're not losing to teams that are better than ours. We're losing because we're not prepared.

Do you really think Aberdeen are at a level that should be losing to a team from Luxembourg? Do you not think the Swedish football calendar contributed to the 9-0 Hibs result? Do you think a match-sharp Celtic would have lost to a team from Gibraltar?

You have to remember who we play against in these qualifiers. Often it's going to be teams who have a summer season. This immediately puts our teams at a disadvantage. And if we are playing weaker teams from countries with a winter season like ours, then we lose the advantage of quality because our teams aren't fully fit.

Whatever way you frame it, our system is a disadvantage for teams in the early stages of European competition.

But thats just the point I'm making.

A lot of these teams do have similar seasons to ours, so being less prepared can't always be used as an excuse.

edcc797f11f3e380d92c02d1203ff7ef.jpg

Hibs have only sold out 3 sections for tonight :rofl: Embarrasment of a club

Very high possibility of it being their only home European tie this season and they don't bother turning up.....

Scottish cup win has really changed them as a club I see.

Hubs down 1-0 in 15 seconds!!!!

Goalkeeping error as well.............Lennon sent to the stand by the referee later in the half !!

Still 0-1 after 30 mins or so but Hibs still in the game

The Old Tolbooth

Goalkeeping error as well.............Lennon sent to the stand by the referee later in the half !!

Still 0-1 after 30 mins or so but Hibs still in the game

Hibs stats at half time, Brondby the better side going by this.

4358dc41bf0ecebd4d4574d31454aa3c.png

Aberdeen first half stats, this is a worry for them!

7bdf695d2d0f498c8ee6cb77f3fd625d.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heartsmad1874

Is there a different rule for signing a loan player then playing him in Europe? As the guy who just scored for Aberdeen only signed today

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Great result for Aberdeen. I know it isn't fashionable these days but I still like to see our clubs progressing.

HeartOfWestLothian

Fair play to Aberdeen, glad they won as it will boost our coefficient. 

Very possible both of us will be playing in the third round qualifiers. 

No surprise the championship team got beat ;) 

Is there a different rule for signing a loan player then playing him in Europe? As the guy who just scored for Aberdeen only signed today

he would have to have been registered by last Friday

Heartsmad1874

he would have to have been registered by last Friday

Signed today

On the bench tonight

Came on and scored

Aberdeen must have done something to make sure it was okay

According to Sky sports the ER attendance was 13,454.

and according to all known footballing basics Hibs fecked up by not having an experienced keeper in

manager maybe was too busy with other things

According to Sky sports the ER attendance was 13,454.

Almost 3000 more than the sheep could muster.

Archived