US Elections 2016

JamboX2

At one level you have to admire the skill of these Russian forces, especially from the air. In the chaos of East Aleppo they are able to pinpoint civilian targets, with a special emphasis it seems on children's hospitals, and in relation to combatants, distinguish between ISIS targets and others.

Yes. It's called indiscriminate bombing. Using cluster and barrell bombs generally have the effect of pummelling a wider area than just the target.

It's amazing this indiscriminate, pinpoint bombing of civilians and hospitals  has forced the U.N. proscribed terrorist group (Al Nusra) to leave East Aleppo. Surely this must be a form of collateral damage neither the Russians or Assad could have seen coming. Civilians are now moving back into East Aleppo, when do you think the Russians will start bombing them again, pinpointedly or otherwise? 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

Straw Poll.

Who's the biggest warmonger of recent times?

1) Obama (He likes drones.)

2) Putin (He likes barrel bombs.)

3) Assad (Huge fan of chemical weapons.)

Who's the best at explicitly targeting the civilian population?

What evidence do you have to support your view that Assad is "a huge fan of chemical weapons"?

The Real Maroonblood

Meanwhile Trump is insulting John Lewis on MLK weekend after Lewis criticized him.

We still have four years left of this shite.

I very much doubt he'll last that long.

Francis Albert

Why are you arguing moral absolutes? I'm not saying Russia - Bad / America & West - Good.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

We do it. It's bad. They do it. It's bad. I'm opposed to the Iraq war. The Afghan debacle and the a large proportion of the mess which is UK foreign policy in the middle east. I thought we might turn the corner when Cameron said you don't impose democracy on a people from 10,000ft. But we are still trying a failing to do so.

Libya in itself wasn't a bad action. The lack of any after planning to assist and stabilise the place was. The lack of getting UN involvement (through either the UNSC or the GA) to help in the aftermath and to establish a functioning state is a stain. As is the foolhardy and naive approach to the Arab Spring. As Ulysses said earlier, if there is no history or no democratic or civic structures in place to facilitate this change - because all you've known os strong man governments - then no wonder these uprisings and awakenings of democratic protest fell apart.

I'd recommend Adam Curtis's documentary Hypernormalisation. It's on the iplayer and covers a lot of this.

I am not arguing moral absolutes nor saying two wrongs make a right. I am arguing that people who supported Blair and bush areally not in a position to demand that Putin be called a war criminal. And that the western media are not to be trusted in distinguishing between our and Russian actions. Edited by Francis Albert

Meanwhile Trump is insulting John Lewis on MLK weekend after Lewis criticized him.

In fairness, and in the interests of balance........

9343_45b7_500.jpeg

:whistling:

It's amazing this indiscriminate, pinpoint bombing of civilians and hospitals has forced the U.N. proscribed terrorist group (Al Nusra) to leave East Aleppo. Surely this must be a form of collateral damage neither the Russians or Assad could have seen coming. Civilians are now moving back into East Aleppo, when do you think the Russians will start bombing them again, pinpointedly or otherwise?

Ignoring my link to the Human Rights Watch and second post to FA then?

I am not arguing moral absolutes nor saying two wrongs make a right. I am arguing that people who supported Blair and bush areally not in a position to demand that Putin be called a war criminal. And that the western media are not to be trusted in distinguishing between our and Russian actions.

I've called no one a war criminal.

Francis Albert

Ignoring my link to the Human Rights Watch and second post to FA then?

I do not find the Human rights watch thing the knock down argument you seem to think it is. Truth is supposedly the first victim of war. It is certainly an early victim. But to say human rights are a victim of war is simply trite. Of course they are. I assume this group has also called for Blair bush kissinger Netanyahu Isis leaders etc etc etc to be tried as war criminals. I hope they feel suitably worthy. Edited by Francis Albert

alwaysthereinspirit

You better buy more straws then.

I didn't say you had.

This had me really puzzled too -- who exactly backed Bush but is calling Putin a war criminal?  I can't think of a single party -- individual or corporate -- that this applies to.

I didn't say you had.

Sorry. Might have been me misreading the post at the time. Merely think that the media - in general- will not come out and call someone a war criminal unless the evidence for that is stand out.

Do I think Putin is one? No. Why? Because I don't think he meets the legal threshold for it on what we know. Do western leaders? Equally, no.

What I would say is Russian forces have (as have western forces in some cases) most likely broke Geneva conventions through indiscriminate bombing and in Syria and Russia's case through the use of barrel bombs and cluster bombs which are banned under international law.

I do not find the Human rights watch thing the knock down argument you seem to think it is. Truth is supposedly the first victim of war. It is certainly an early victim. But to say human rights are a victim of war is simply trite. Of course they are. I assume this group has also called for Blair bush kissinger Netanyahu Isis leaders etc etc etc to be tried as war criminals. I hope they feel suitably worthy.

I believe they did and do over a lot of issues. But we were talking about Syria and a particular aspect of that conflict.

You're attacking the organisation not the content of what they say. I'm not saying it's a knockout. But they are a widely respected NGO globally who have worked in many war zones across the globe since 1978. Their evidence based approach disputes some of the comments made here. I'm not either disputing the point you make on human rights being compromised by war. The article certainly doesn't. It's merely the name of the organisation.

Again, no one is being called anything in the article, so why the war criminal jibe?

Don't get your post - to me it seems you disagree with the content so are attacking the organisation on some morality level of west good, east bad idea. A sentiment which is fast coming across on this thread.

Good is, is good because I agree with X's view. Bad is this group because they don't agree with this. Which is a narrow view of things- imo of coure.

This is all going to end in impeachment anyway, there are rules and Trump's not interested in playing by rules, they don't apply to him.

President Pence, that's who we need to worry about- an old school Christian who believes abortion should be criminalised and that gays should attend correction courses and shouldn't be protected by anti discriminatory laws

In 2002, the ACLU gave him a 7 percent rating on civil rights, and he's next in line!

Less than a week to go - better get cracking.

Donald Trump will start ww3 they say.

Donald trump should stop being so friendly with the russians they also say.

Quite funny that .

In 5 years time trump will have carried the baton from obama who took the baton from bush.

Quite funny that .

In 5 years time trump will have carried the baton from obama who took the baton from bush.

How, what happens in 5 years?

Quite funny that .

I'm curious about the 5-year comment too.  He'll have to win another election to still be president in 2022.

I highly doubt he'll start a World War, but wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets into a shooting match with, say, North Korea, or maybe Iran. 

I'm curious about the 5-year comment too. He'll have to win another election to still be president in 2022.

I highly doubt he'll start a World War, but wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets into a shooting match with, say, North Korea, or maybe Iran.

If trump survives if not whoever is president.

If obama with all of his promises still presided over the conflicts America has been involved with including the recent troop movements in eastern europe cannot halt it.

It kind of tells you everything.

"A joint inquiry by the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) found that Syrian government forces were responsible for three chlorine gas attacks and that Islamic State militants had used mustard gas, according to reports seen by Reuters in August and October."

Reported by Reuters, amongst others.

That, and his regime happened to have large stockpiles of VX, Sarin, Mustard & Chlorine gas, dotted about the place.

Which, they agreed to start destroying once the United Nations took an interest.

A bit more than a hobby.

If the joint inquiry has reviewed, and changed its findings from the 12th of January this year, I'll happily stand corrected. It might not have been verified as of yet, officially.

Seems you are well ITK. I didn't know of the report only produced by Reuters 2 days ago.  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-chemical-weapons-idUSKBN14X1XY

Assad is implicated for the first time.  I'm not convinced though. There is no opportunity to evaluate the quality of evidence and I cannot understand why Assad would do it. This is a war and I expect the lowest forms of human behaviour from the combatants but not behaviour that is clearly stupid and damaging to your side. Assad and the Russians know where the red lines are and would be stupid to cross them. I expect there are several elements in the war who would be willing to cross the red line for them.  

Seems you are well ITK. I didn't know of the report only produced by Reuters 2 days ago.  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-chemical-weapons-idUSKBN14X1XY

Assad is implicated for the first time.  I'm not convinced though. There is no opportunity to evaluate the quality of evidence and I cannot understand why Assad would do it. This is a war and I expect the lowest forms of human behaviour from the combatants but not behaviour that is clearly stupid and damaging to your side. Assad and the Russians know where the red lines are and would be stupid to cross them. I expect there are several elements in the war who would be willing to cross the red line for them.  

Saddam Hussein knew the red lines as well, still didn't stop him, he still gassed the Kurds.

The point I'm making is perhaps if Assad believes he's untouchable and would never face any justice then what is there to lose by using chemical weapons, if it achieved victory for your side.

Assad is pretty much untouchable, the only way he'd ever be brought to justice is if the Russians turned him over to the Hague and I can't see that happening.

maroonlegions

So the American intelligence agencies  wants the world to believe that the Russians hacked the US elections.

Police say CIA head Brennan couldn't even keep his emails safe from a 16 year old child.   :laugh4: 

The 16-year-old boy was arrested in the East Midlands as part of an investigation in to the data breach of John Brennan?s emails last year.
TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

If the CIA did irony eh..   :laugh4:

Assad is an authoritarians, and authoritarians go to extreme means to stay in power.  Russia has been Assad's closest ally, effectively propping him up and running interference for him at the UN in exchange for him being a stalwart ally in the region, particularly in terms of oil.

I should write another interminably long post some time about how all of this shadow boxing in Syria, hacks of Clinton, Venezuela, Yemen, the TPP, the Koch Brothers, Dick Cheney, the new Secretary of State nominee, and several dozen other seemingly unconnected aspects of the last 16 years can all be fairly easily understood as being about the control of, price of, and the relative importance of oil.

FFS keep up. Jake is accusing all media outlets who are reporting on atrocities in Syria as being under the thumb of the US government and doing the CIA's bidding. Al Jazeera is reporting on them. Al Jazeera is not under the thumb of the CIA.

I'm not saying they're unbiased. I will say the reporting on that page is excellent and includes a variety of positions, in keeping with its Qatari funders' goal of having a modern, independent, non-Western focused media organization.

They are in no ways independent as any enquiry into their paymasters relationship with the 'rebels' is off limits. Its no coincidence that every freed western hostage has the freedom deal brokered via Doha. Whats more many of their journos have left them cos of this editorial limits and compromised integrity. Edited by elvoys

So the American intelligence agencies wants the world to believe that the Russians hacked the US elections.

Police say CIA head Brennan couldn't even keep his emails safe from a 16 year old child. :laugh4:

British teenager suspected of being a mystery hacker who stole CIA boss emails

The 16-year-old boy was arrested in the East Midlands as part of an investigation in to the data breach of John Brennan?s emails last year.

TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

If the CIA did irony eh.. :laugh4:

So the Russians couldn't hack the Democrats emails but a 16 year old lad hacks the CIA? At a loss here...

You'd have thought Watergate was a Democratic conspiracy at the time ML :laugh:

Edited by JamboX2

They are in no ways independent as any enquiry into their paymasters relationship with the 'rebels' is off limits. Its no coincidence that every freed western hostage has the freedom deal brokered via Doha. Whats more many of their journos have left them cos of this editorial limits and compromised integrity.

I merely meant independent of Western media organizations, which are hardly free of entangling ownerships themselves. (Why oh why would media networks owned by conglomerates that also owned GE and Westinghouse not cover the Dakota Access protests?)

Al Jazeera has a bias. BBC has a bias. The Daily Mail has a bias. WikiLeaks has a bias. 

Assad is an authoritarians, and authoritarians go to extreme means to stay in power.  Russia has been Assad's closest ally, effectively propping him up and running interference for him at the UN in exchange for him being a stalwart ally in the region, particularly in terms of oil.

I should write another interminably long post some time about how all of this shadow boxing in Syria, hacks of Clinton, Venezuela, Yemen, the TPP, the Koch Brothers, Dick Cheney, the new Secretary of State nominee, and several dozen other seemingly unconnected aspects of the last 16 years can all be fairly easily understood as being about the control of, price of, and the relative importance of oil.

In what way has Assad been a stalwart ally, in terms of oil? The oil price is low and Syria is not in OPEC.

Authoritarians do go to extreme means to stay in power and western powers go to extremes too, often travelling half way across the planet to drop bombs on authoritarians who do not do as the west wants. 35 countries bombed by USA alone since WW2 and countless others threatened undermined and coerced but somehow Assad is the authoritarian bully.

Saddam Hussein knew the red lines as well, still didn't stop him, he still gassed the Kurds.

The point I'm making is perhaps if Assad believes he's untouchable and would never face any justice then what is there to lose by using chemical weapons, if it achieved victory for your side.

Assad is pretty much untouchable, the only way he'd ever be brought to justice is if the Russians turned him over to the Hague and I can't see that happening.

There were no red lines for Saddam Hussein. He was one of us. We supplied him with the gas and the means to deploy it. He did think he was untouchable though because he was one of us. Assad has a lot to lose if it is proved he used chemical weapons.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

No, Doug. I'm far from that.

I take an interest in American politics, but it's far from my comfort zone. There are posters on here, who excel at debating politics on both fronts, yourself included, that I wouldn't dream of getting into depth with.

I'm out of my comfort zone mainly where policy is concerned. Happy to chip in with my meagre attempts now & again though.

One point though you've said about red lines, and Russia would be stupid to cross now they're engaged with Assad, and using a chemical attack.

I agree they'd be daft, and given for example that the Goutta Chemical Weapons attack was in August 2013, and Russia's first military action with Assad, was October 2015 I think,(would have to check) then Russia's intervention imo, had a lot to do with that attack.

Even Putin is not that stupid in regards to chemical warfare, and given the destabilized nature at that time of Assad's regime, as they were really on their knees at that point, through ISIS and Free Syrian army & friends' attacks, a helping hand was needed urgently. Which isn't really a secret.

I would've thought a swift metaphorical boot in the nuts from Russia, to Assad, with respect to those attacks was administered.

"We know you did this. Everyone knows you did this. Cut it out, we'll help you out(in reality helping themselves with geo-political maneuverings) in getting rid of ISIS and sort your rebel problem out." Hence why Russia were screaming False Flag about it all, to deflect away from Assad. He can't take a piss without Putin's permission these days I'd imagine. As I doubt unless Russia is holding his hand, they don't trust him to go and do another idiotic thing, thus implicating Russia in another atrocity. Of which Russia has enough to deal with in recent times as it is.

As you say however, other elements may do things on the QT, that are "deniable." Many governments, including ours, do this of course. Not chemical attacks, but it happens.

I've rambled on enough, sorry.

Your argument is entirely plausible IMO. I'm still not convinced Assad did deploy them though, he had little to gain but his opponents did.

In what way has Assad been a stalwart ally, in terms of oil? The oil price is low and Syria is not in OPEC.

Authoritarians do go to extreme means to stay in power and western powers go to extremes too, often travelling half way across the planet to drop bombs on authoritarians who do not do as the west wants. 35 countries bombed by USA alone since WW2 and countless others threatened undermined and coerced but somehow Assad is the authoritarian bully.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/10/07/putins-russia-is-wedded-to-bashar-al-assad-syria-moscow/

There has long been little doubt that Syria, a longstanding military ally, is a critical piece in Russia?s security strategy in the Middle East.

The Syrian coastal city of Tartus hosts Russia?s only major naval port on the eastern Mediterranean. Some 800 to more than 2,000 Russian jihadis have traveled to Syria to help fight in the country, as well as in Iraq, according to estimates from the Russian Foreign Ministry and independent experts. Since the Syrian conflict began in early 2011, Russia has provided invaluable diplomatic support to the Assad regime, casting vetoes multiple times to prevent the adoption of U.N. resolutions aimed at nudging him from power.

Last month, Moscow intervened militarily at Assad?s invitation, launching airstrikes against what it said were targets linked to the Islamic State, but in actuality hammering the Syrian opposition forces seeking to bring down the regime. It is now considering the deployment of irregular Russian troops, or ?volunteers,? to carry out ground operations. On Wednesday, Syrian forces began a ground offensive as Russian warplanes blasted targets throughout western Syria, according to the Washington Post.

Your whatabouttery in regards to the US might be relevant had I ever shown any hesitation to criticise US foreign policy.  As I have not, it is just intellectual laziness. 

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/10/07/putins-russia-is-wedded-to-bashar-al-assad-syria-moscow/

Your whatabouttery in regards to the US might be relevant had I ever shown any hesitation to criticise US foreign policy. As I have not, it is just intellectual laziness.

I think its not directed at you .

I think it may be the fact that its usually the US foreign policy that causes these conflicts.

And the last 8 years have been no different although you have been hesitant to criticise those.

Unlike in Russia. Or anywhere else for that.

Never once said that.

Never once.

But its used to dismiss any questioning of what we are told by our press.

Never once said that.

Never once.

But its used to dismiss any questioning of what we are told by our press.

No it wasn't. It was said by me because you seem to be on a moral crusade here by arguing they are more trust worthy and report the news more impartially.

They don't. It's the line the Kremlin want to hear.

I think its not directed at you .

I think it may be the fact that its usually the US foreign policy that causes these conflicts.

And the last 8 years have been no different although you have been hesitant to criticise those.

Whether the last 8 years have been better or not is up to debate.  I find it hard to argue that they have been no different. Obama has pursued a policy of air strikes and drone warfare and minimal interference on the ground, vs. Bush's policy of maximal troop deployment on the ground and operating Iraq as a puppet state. I think this was a better state of affairs, but still highly problematic and led to a terrorized and angry populace.

As to creating the conflicts, I will strongly argue that the biggest origin of the conflict in Syria was Bremmer's criminally awful decision to disband the Iraqi Army.  You can make the case that by withdrawing and providing no internal security that Obama left a power vacuum for Daesh to fill, but I think he's been left with a set of all bad options in eastern Syria and western Iraq.  I'm very interested in criticism of Obama that gets into the complexity of that situation, but some of the most coherent I've heard has been from Lindsay Graham, saying that the US should have been more committed to backing the rebels.  I can't get behind that, but nor can I get behind the "do nothing at all" position that would have left the emergent pockets of Kurdish cooperative democracy to be slaughtered by Daesh nihilsts.

Whether the last 8 years have been better or not is up to debate. I find it hard to argue that they have been no different. Obama has pursued a policy of air strikes and drone warfare and minimal interference on the ground, vs. Bush's policy of maximal troop deployment on the ground and operating Iraq as a puppet state. I think this was a better state of affairs, but still highly problematic and led to a terrorized and angry populace.

As to creating the conflicts, I will strongly argue that the biggest origin of the conflict in Syria was Bremmer's criminally awful decision to disband the Iraqi Army. You can make the case that by withdrawing and providing no internal security that Obama left a power vacuum for Daesh to fill, but I think he's been left with a set of all bad options in eastern Syria and western Iraq. I'm very interested in criticism of Obama that gets into the complexity of that situation, but some of the most coherent I've heard has been from Lindsay Graham, saying that the US should have been more committed to backing the rebels. I can't get behind that, but nor can I get behind the "do nothing at all" position that would have left the emergent pockets of Kurdish cooperative democracy to be slaughtered by Daesh nihilsts.

If you believe that this war in Syria was not contrived by saudi US oil interests and that it had nothing to do with Syrian energy ties with Russia thats up to you.

If you believe Gadaffis removal by obama was anything other than the threat to the dollar as currency used in oil thats up to you.

I could go on about it but the Syria conflict has now escalated to the USA biggest miltary deployement in Europe for decades.

Now where this will lead is anyones guess but please dont tell me Syria is any less than Iraq.

Its the exact same.

No it wasn't. It was said by me because you seem to be on a moral crusade here by arguing they are more trust worthy and report the news more impartially.

They don't. It's the line the Kremlin want to hear.

No i gave an alternative view and narrative .

It may well be the russians are as you say.

Do you believe the narrative our press tells us.

Also we have 100 years of history to show the USapproach to product they wish to control.

I certainly have not been on a moral crusade.

Once again cheap shots fired without any real substance.

You slagged off maroon mockingly saying he would blame watergate on the democrats.

Just so you know one of the reporters involved called the cias case against russian hacking garbage.

Im not anti american pro russian im merely posting what i think is actually happening to what garbage we are told.

No i gave an alternative view and narrative .

It may well be the russians are as you say.

Do you believe the narrative our press tells us.

Also we have 100 years of history to show the USapproach to product they wish to control.

I certainly have not been on a moral crusade.

Once again cheap shots fired without any real substance.

You slagged off maroon mockingly saying he would blame watergate on the democrats.

Just so you know one of the reporters involved called the cias case against russian hacking garbage.

Im not anti american pro russian im merely posting what i think is actually happening to what garbage we are told.

Stop the bus, everyone stop . Jake knows everything.

Stop the bus, everyone stop . Jake knows everything.

Gods sake aussie .

Can you argue the points i make or are you just slagging me off in nearly every post.

Whether the last 8 years have been better or not is up to debate. I find it hard to argue that they have been no different. Obama has pursued a policy of air strikes and drone warfare and minimal interference on the ground, vs. Bush's policy of maximal troop deployment on the ground and operating Iraq as a puppet state. I think this was a better state of affairs, but still highly problematic and led to a terrorized and angry populace.

As to creating the conflicts, I will strongly argue that the biggest origin of the conflict in Syria was Bremmer's criminally awful decision to disband the Iraqi Army. You can make the case that by withdrawing and providing no internal security that Obama left a power vacuum for Daesh to fill, but I think he's been left with a set of all bad options in eastern Syria and western Iraq. I'm very interested in criticism of Obama that gets into the complexity of that situation, but some of the most coherent I've heard has been from Lindsay Graham, saying that the US should have been more committed to backing the rebels. I can't get behind that, but nor can I get behind the "do nothing at all" position that would have left the emergent pockets of Kurdish cooperative democracy to be slaughtered by Daesh nihilsts.

Who are the in the main the Daesh nihilist backers?

alwaysthereinspirit

Really looking forward to Friday's inauguration. Will be epic to see the various meltdowns on here.

Hopefully nothing stupid happens and it all goes off without a hitch. My daughter goes to school down there and intends to be somewhere on the parade route.

99 street permits given out for demonstrations but no word on what they're demonstrating as of last night. 28,000 security personnel on the streets.

Another woman has filed sexual assault charges against Trump today. That's 12 now.

Until someone makes a formal complaint to the police and the police act upon that information and investigate, then it doesn't mean anything.

If you believe that this war in Syria was not contrived by saudi US oil interests and that it had nothing to do with Syrian energy ties with Russia thats up to you.

If you believe Gadaffis removal by obama was anything other than the threat to the dollar as currency used in oil thats up to you.

I could go on about it but the Syria conflict has now escalated to the USA biggest miltary deployement in Europe for decades.

Now where this will lead is anyones guess but please dont tell me Syria is any less than Iraq.

Its the exact same.

I've already indicated above that oil is the currency that explains a lot of policy, but your analysis is far too shallow. And if you want to believe that there was insufficient homegrown resentment of Qaddafi to fuel the initial rebellion, that's up to you, but it's silly.

Who are the in the main the Daesh nihilist backers?

My best understanding is that the initial backing was from reactionaries at various low levels of influence within the oil-rich states in the area, but that this has fallen off as their brutality become evident and now asset seizure in their military conquests has become the major source of funding.

But I'm sure you have an incredibly simple explanation that explains everything.

Glad Jake is back posting. I'm looking forward to his review of La La Land.

Aw please.

Bit of a beamer if truth be told.

Still glad to see your usual contribution of having a pop.

Seymour M Hersh

Hopefully nothing stupid happens and it all goes off without a hitch. My daughter goes to school down there and intends to be somewhere on the parade route.

99 street permits given out for demonstrations but no word on what they're demonstrating as of last night. 28,000 security personnel on the streets.

Goes without saying. I hope your daughter enjoys it as (no matter whose inauguration it is) it'll be something to tell her own kids one day.