Edinburgh's embarrassing lack of modern sports, concert event venues

Boozyuzi

Looks like the Commonwealth Games will be a well deserved success for Glasgow, congratulations to the organisers and to the city as a whole. Sadly, it highlights the lack of modern venues in Our city of Edinburgh..

Every time I see the BBC opening credits for the games and see the backdrop for their studio I think of the "we're from the capital.." chant.. Not so sure about that !

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously we just need to bid for the Olympics or Commonwealth Games and then we'll get the facilities.

(if we win the bid)

queensferryjambo

Obviously we just need to bid for the Olympics or Commonwealth Games and then we'll get the facilities.

(if we win the bid)

Edinburgh hosted the Commonwealth games in 1970 and 1986 and their lasting legacy is Meadowbank Stadium and the Commonwealth pool :(

The Olympics would cost a crazy amount of money making the Trams and the Scottish Parliament building look like a bargain :)

Concert venues in Edinburgh are a disgrace in Edinburgh compared to Glasgow.

Glasgow has great venues that cater for small gigs like at King Tuts, Oran Mor and The Cat House, Medium sized venues like the O2, ABC,The Garage and the Barrowlands to big venues like the SECC and the Hydro + 3 Stadiums that do gigs for huge artists. There are tons more on top of that.

Edinburgh has pub sized venues, The Corn Exchange or Murrayfield.

It gets right on my nerves that every time I want to got to a decent gig it is in Glasgow as transport is expensive (a pain in the arse) or if you drive through you cannae have a drink and have to get parked.

Rant over.

jamboinglasgow

A lot of these venues were built specifically for the games.

Actually very few are. The only things really purpose built for the games is the Emirates Arena (which holds the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrone) and the new hockey center. While Tollcross swimming pool has been upgraded. But apart from that they are using exciting stadiums and facilities. The SECC is a big part as it has a number of sports happening at it.

Edinburgh does have a some facilities which are top class, but it does lack a purpose built faciltity which can be used for big indoor events. The conference center provides for conferences and comedy gigs, but not for music gigs. But investment in facilities is much needed in Edinburgh.

The People's Chimp

A lot of these venues were built specifically for the games.

Not so much. They improved a lot (tollcross for example), and built the hockey centre, which is pretty good but not huge and was built at the pre existing glasgow green football facility, and then they did build the superb emirates arena, and the mountain bike trail at Cathkin braes. I can't think of anything else that was built specifically. The backdrop to the BBC coverage has been the Hydro and Armadillo which were obviously there already.

The thing that jumps out though is that there is no room in Edinburgh to build equivalents. The M8 through the city may be a monstrosity but it makes transport and travel very easy as well. Edinburgh is completely different in respect of both travel and space to build.

Edinburgh does have a some facilities which are top class, but it does lack a purpose built faciltity which can be used for big indoor events.

And to think the Cooncil got offered the Hydro first and turned it down. :facepalm:

jamboinglasgow

Not so much. They improved a lot (tollcross for example), and built the hockey centre, which is pretty good but not huge and was built at the pre existing glasgow green football facility, and then they did build the superb emirates arena, and the mountain bike trail at Cathkin braes. I can't think of anything else that was built specifically. The backdrop to the BBC coverage has been the Hydro and Armadillo which were obviously there already.

The thing that jumps out though is that there is no room in Edinburgh to build equivalents. The M8 through the city may be a monstrosity but it makes transport and travel very easy as well. Edinburgh is completely different in respect of both travel and space to build.

Would agree, Glasgow benefited space wise with the decline of shipping and shipbuilding that it created a lot space from former dockyards where they could fill in and build large projects on. Just try to find an area in Edinburgh where a new stadium can be built, it requires taking up of a golf course or parkland.

Scotland is too small a place for two big cities to have each of everything.

Edinburgh has had pop/rock concerts over the years at Meadowbank, MF and the Castle.

It's also not out to chase a dead end dream of trying to become a capital city because it is already.

Share the facilities. If everything is in one place where would be the fun of travel and going to different places?

Edinburgh has the most going for it than anywhere else with it's established festival, history and tourism.

Aye, The Hydro has been planned since about 2004 using the same design. It was the downturn that delayed it and then the Commie Games was the spark to get it built. It's already the 4th busiest arena on the planet. I think they are thinking about creating an outdoor arena in the grounds for about 20,000 people.

Meanwhile Edinburgh builds another office/shop development on the last big gap site in the city, Haymarket.

Aye, The Hydro has been planned since about 2004 using the same design. It was the downturn that delayed it and then the Commie Games was the spark to get it built. It's already the 4th busiest arena on the planet. I think they are thinking about creating an outdoor arena in the grounds for about 20,000 people.

Meanwhile Edinburgh builds another office/shop development on the last big gap site in the city, Haymarket.

What would the outdoor arena play host to? Is it to be a medium sized athletics stadium or similar?

I get them ambitious plans but not sure if there is scope / requirement for that?

William H. Bonney

Actually very few are. The only things really purpose built for the games is the Emirates Arena (which holds the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrone) and the new hockey center. While Tollcross swimming pool has been upgraded. But apart from that they are using exciting stadiums and facilities. The SECC is a big part as it has a number of sports happening at it.

Edinburgh does have a some facilities which are top class, but it does lack a purpose built faciltity which can be used for big indoor events. The conference center provides for conferences and comedy gigs, but not for music gigs. But investment in facilities is much needed in Edinburgh.

I stand corrected.

Sorry, not really an arena more that they plan to host outdoor gigs in the grounds. I think round the back of the old SECC where the car park is. That was definitely talked about in the original SECC Q2 plans.

The Playhouse is an excellent venue for largish gigs but its owners won't use it for those purposes, preferring musicals and shows.

Gene Parmesan

I think Glasgow gets these places because the people actually support them.

We lost the Picture House recently - a blow to Edinburgh music - but it was because it couldn't make money. Not enough people coming out means venues, bands and gig-goers will continue to flow to Glasgow.

My Left Nut

I know that there is a project in the works for land out on Edinburgh Park. The land was sold from NEL late last year who were in administration and the new owners have big ideas and Edinburgh Council Planning were sounded out about the possibility of something a long the lines of the Hydro for concerts, exhibitions etc and were keen on the idea. This is a long way off though.

After the closing down of the HMV Picture House, which to be honest was pretty small as is was, it seems the Corn Exchange is the biggest concert venue in the city.

After rejecting the Hydro and it going to Glasgow, it now means that Glasgow has two major concert venues within yards of each other, while we effectively have none, apart from Bill Bailey tooting horns at the castle and the rare concert at Murrayfield.

I think the Hydro and SECC are both amazing venues, but the fact I could/should have seen Depeche Mode and Madness in Edinburgh just a bus journey away is annoying.

queensferryjambo

Edinburgh has had pop/rock concerts over the years at Meadowbank, MF and the Castle.

Edinburgh also used to have The Playhouse, The Odeon, Ingliston, The Venue, HMV Picture house (Calais Palais) and many many more Venues for multiple sized concerts. The concert scene in Edinburgh was brilliant up until the late 80s early 90s and Glasgow really only had the Barrowlands and the Apollo Theatre as venues of real note. The SECC with the different sized hall, Clyde Auditorium and lots of small venues springing up changed all that.

Most of the Venues are still there just they chose not to host bands any more. I can understand The Playhouse not doing bands any more as their money is generated by big Musical Stage shows but the rest of the Venues would surely generate good revenue getting bands to play.

You can see a list of Edinburgh's venues and the bands that played Edinburgh and how vibrant it was until the 90s here -

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/index.htm

The Playhouse is an excellent venue for largish gigs but its owners won't use it for those purposes, preferring musicals and shows.

Edinburgh also used to have The Playhouse, The Odeon, Ingliston, The Venue, HMV Picture house (Calais Palais) and many many more Venues for multiple sized concerts. The concert scene in Edinburgh was brilliant up until the late 80s early 90s and Glasgow really only had the Barrowlands and the Apollo Theatre as venues of real note. The SECC with the different sized hall, Clyde Auditorium and lots of small venues springing up changed all that.

Most of the Venues are still there just they chose not to host bands any more. I can understand The Playhouse not doing bands any more as their money is generated by big Musical Stage shows but the rest of the Venues would surely generate good revenue getting bands to play.

You can see a list of Edinburgh's venues and the bands that played Edinburgh and how vibrant it was until the 90s here -

http://www.edinburgh...e.com/index.htm

I guess the guaranteed income from a show - which will probably run for a few days, if not weeks, is the main factor for what gets booked at The Playhouse. But I agree that it was a decent venue for gigs in the past.

Ingliston, however, is absolutely rank. I went to see Rush there in the 80s (Signals tour, I think - was just a nipper) and the sound was appalling. Almost put me off gigs.

I guess it depends what you listen to or want to see. Most of the bands I want to see wouldn't fill the Hydro's foyer. Going to see Maschine/Leprous/Haken at The Liquid Room (which I've actually never been to) and Anathema at the O2 ABC. It would be great if Edinburgh had a decent venue that could cater for a variety of crowd sizes.

I think Glasgow gets these places because the people actually support them.

We lost the Picture House recently - a blow to Edinburgh music - but it was because it couldn't make money. Not enough people coming out means venues, bands and gig-goers will continue to flow to Glasgow.

This, I get a bit bored of all the people complaining about the lack of venues etc. but never actually go to them when they are/were here.

The amount of people I saw seething about the sale of HMV Picture House, who hadn't actually been in over 3/4+ years.

queensferryjambo

This, I get a bit bored of all the people complaining about the lack of venues etc. but never actually go to them when they are/were here.

The amount of people I saw seething about the sale of HMV Picture House, who hadn't actually been in over 3/4+ years.

Every time I went to the HMV picture house it was packed out.

The problem with the HMV Picture house was not gig attendances IMO it was there were not enough bands playing each week to create even revenue and the pub / club side of things didn't work.

Spot on + I think there was a bit of a loading issue round the back that put off promoters but to replace it with another soul less Witherspoons FFS.

Looks like the Commonwealth Games will be a well deserved success for Glasgow, congratulations to the organisers and to the city as a whole. Sadly, it highlights the lack of modern venues in Our city of Edinburgh..

Every time I see the BBC opening credits for the games and see the backdrop for their studio I think of the "we're from the capital.." chant.. Not so sure about that !

They are still from a shite hole!

And one or two concert venues or velodromes aint going to ever change that!

queensferryjambo

Ingliston, however, is absolutely rank. I went to see Rush there in the 80s (Signals tour, I think - was just a nipper) and the sound was appalling. Almost put me off gigs.

I went to see Rush on the Signals tour as well one of my first gigs - they played 2 nights if I remember correctly the sound was good the night I went but yeah Ingliston was a hit or a miss for sound quality.

SECC Hall 4 (the big hall) has always been a bit ropey for sounds as well.

OmiyaHearts

They are still from a shite hole!

And one or two concert venues or velodromes aint going to ever change that!

Thats where you're wrong. The city has changed from a shite hole to one of the best in the UK.

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/index.htm

its a good point. Simple Minds said they owe part of their fame to venues in Edinburgh from that time. A Glasgow band of course.

Spot on Ingliston is/was guff.... saw Queen, Rainbow ( twice) and Rush (also twice, still got the Signals tour t-shirt) there and all sounded poorer compared to any other venues that I saw them in. I think the Police, ELO and the Jam might have played there as well in the early 80s and sure all complaints were the same. It certainly seemed to stop being used by mid/end of 80s..... don't think it can even be used any more due to changes in the layout of those halls.

An area with a decent arena for ice hockey and those on ice type shows like Braehead, a decent 10,000 ground for Edinburgh Rugby like Scotstoun and a nice 3,500-5,000 multi purpose indoor arena for gigs/exhibitions like the Hydro would all be a good start rather than more shopping centres and offices.

We have one of the greatest cities in the world and it does nothing for its own population but caters for visitors and tourists for most of the year. Christ even Hearts supporting, Edinburgh born, Chris Hoy's Velodrome is in Glasgow!!

I went to see Rush on the Signals tour as well one of my first gigs - they played 2 nights if I remember correctly the sound was good the night I went but yeah Ingliston was a hit or a miss for sound quality.

There is a very good bootleg widely available on the net of one of the Edinburgh nights from the Signals tour and it sounds pretty good.... so you might be right about the hit and miss effect of Ingliston.

Mad Cows and Scotsmen

Every time I went to the HMV picture house it was packed out.

The problem with the HMV Picture house was not gig attendances IMO it was there were not enough bands playing each week to create even revenue and the pub / club side of things didn't work.

Venue wasn't suited to a club at all, it got lucky for 2 years with the Thursday night but apart from that it was hemorrhaging money every Fri/Sat.

queensferryjambo

Thats where you're wrong. The city has changed from a shite hole to one of the best in the UK.

Really? There are 69 cities in the UK saying it is one of the best is a pretty bold statement.

My favourite thing about Glasgow is the roving gangs of threatening jakeball neds that mull about after dark all over the city centre :)

You can't even mention Glasgow on here without the chip on the shoulder brigade getting their tuppence in.

:facepalm:

Spot on + I think there was a bit of a loading issue round the back that put off promoters but to replace it with another soul less Witherspoons FFS.

It makes much, much more sense to allow a pub which will generate ?100,000s a year (and pay a fair whack of tax) than a venue which lies empty most nights.

Edinburgh is going to have the best football complex in the country soon though once Heriott Watt is completed.

I've been to see the Scottish National Chamber Orchestra at the Usher Hall twice recently.

Outstanding venue!

It's a shame the old Odeon was bought by Subo's brother. He seems to have made a right mess of it.

These new venues are islands in a see of crap - have a walk round Easterhouse and all the other areas to get the real shite hole flavour.

I've been to see the Scottish National Chamber Orchestra at the Usher Hall twice recently.

Outstanding venue!

In a (slightly) similar vein, I saw Sigur Ros there last year and concur.

You can't even mention Glasgow on here without the chip on the shoulder brigade getting their tuppence in.

:facepalm:

Don't make me laugh.

queensferryjambo

Spot on Ingliston is/was guff.... saw Queen, Rainbow ( twice) and Rush (also twice, still got the Signals tour t-shirt) there and all sounded poorer compared to any other venues that I saw them in.

There is a very good bootleg widely available on the net of one of the Edinburgh nights from the Signals tour and it sounds pretty good.... so you might be right about the hit and miss effect of Ingliston.

Used to have a cassette bootleg of that same gig - funnily enough I bought it at Ingliston Market bookleg stall :)

Same as you still have my tour shirt from 83 - have a big box of old tour shirts the kids used to dress up in them when they were younger and pretend they were 'rockers' :)

DSC03504_zps61b7c884.jpg

Archived