Edinburgh's embarrassing lack of modern sports, concert event venues

Boozyuzi

heartsfc_fan

Pant-wetters getting their pants wet coz they can't accept Glasgow is a great city.

As Gene Parmesan above said, it's a great recurring theme of this board.

So, I'll say this again.

I have lived in Glasgow since November 2010. In that time I have enjoyed and reveled in a great nightlife, great gigs, great bars, great restaurants, and great events all over the city. I have lived on Byres Rd in the West End, Shawlands in the Southside, and now live in Dennistoun in the East End. For the pant-wetter complaining about 'gangs of neds', I have walked home at all hours, to all ends of the city and experienced no trouble whatsoever. That said, I have been involved in one scuffle with neds since I moved through. And that was on George St in Edinburgh when I was back visiting.

Folk like to try and build a rivalry and cite places such as Easterhouse, Springburn and Govanhill in their arguments. Do these folk often walk about Pilton, Niddrie or Wester Hailes and think 'aye but still ah bet this is better thun Glasgow though, ken?'.

Edinburgh, aesthetically in the city centre, is far more beautiful than Glasgow. But for arts, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, pretty much everything else, Glasgow is better.

Come at me.

Arts and Entertainment?

Edinburgh has the biggest Arts festival in the World.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arts and Entertainment?

Edinburgh has the biggest Arts festival in the World.

Read the thread

Guest Bilel Mohsni

A bit of imagination, and there is no reason this could be used far more often. Instead it is used for the occasional band performance and a for an hour of country dancing, one day a week for six weeks of the year, then nothing.

Too ******* right Simon. Best gig I've ever been to was Orbital in the gardens. Unfortunately, we will not see a beautiful grand design of a venue there in the future, because we are populated by short-sighted snobs, who are so terrified of change, they are prepared to see us become a quaint wee postcard image, rather than a modern bustling city that has moved forward and catered for the changing needs of the modern-day population of a capital city.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Read the thread

I have, and reading the thread does not make his point any less valid or correct.

Gene Parmesan

Too ******* right Simon. Best gig I've ever been to was Orbital in the gardens. Unfortunately, we will not see a beautiful grand design of a venue there in the future, because we are populated by short-sighted snobs, who are so terrified of change, they are prepared to see us become a quaint wee postcard image, rather than a modern bustling city that has moved forward and catered for the changing needs of the modern-day population of a capital city.

Too true :(

I have, and reading the thread does not make his point any less valid or correct.

Having an arts festival is not the same as having an arts scene.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Having an arts festival is not the same as having an arts scene.

We have an arts scene. One which is topped off by the world's biggest arts festival.

We have an arts scene. One which is topped off by the world's biggest arts festival.

Yes. Edinburgh does have an arts scene. But there are problems, and anyone in the arts knows about them, as covered upthread - and having the world's biggest arts festival doesn't give Edinburgh a free pass to not put in as much effort into fostering younger artists. Festivals bring lots of artists into a city but they don't sustain it all year round.

merseysidejambo

Saw Belle and Sebastian at the Usher Hall about a decade ago and it was a great gig, big crowd. Only problem was the security p***k who decided to threaten to throw me out for having a fag (pre-smoking-ban days). It was the fact he walked past about a dozen other folk smoking to get to me and then on his way back and said f all to them that got me fuming.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Yes. Edinburgh does have an arts scene. But there are problems, and anyone in the arts knows about them, as covered upthread - and having the world's biggest arts festival doesn't give Edinburgh a free pass to not put in as much effort into fostering younger artists. Festivals bring lots of artists into a city but they don't sustain it all year round.

Edinburgh City Council absolutely needs to invest in it more, I agree completely. However, we do have an arts scene. The Jazz Festival, Edinburgh Film Festival, Book Festival, our play houses and opera houses, exhibitions and concerts are there for all to see. Our biggest problem is a lack of investment in New and decent venues to cater for that scene.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

There is definitely a serious danger that the Edinburgh Festival Fringe could be overtaken by arts festivals in other cities like Manchester, if some investment and effort is not put in to our arts scene. However, that investment does not seem to be forthcoming, and instead all the money is spent in Glasgow.

Edinburgh Council are clueless.

The ludicrous licensing laws with regards to children, that restricts many of the local bars and restaurants, and completely confuses visitors. Some establishments do not allow children, some do, but only until a certain time. some allow them to a different time, whilst others do allow children, but only in certain parts of the bar, and in some cases, depending on where they are sitting, until varying times. I doubt very much if there is another city in the world that is so unwelcoming for families. Given Edinburgh is suppose to be one of the world's finest cities, and such a popular tourist destination, it is absolutely ludicrous. It spoils it for tourists and the local businesses.

TBF, thats the new licensing laws that are Scotland wide. Its not just Edinburgh that has that problem. The issue will be if the bar you visit has applied or not to allow children in the premises.

Chris Benoit

**** Edinburgh and Glasgow, Dunfermline's the place to be. We've got Nandos, a shopping centre which is full of card and pound shops, a music 'venue' that's gone bust more times than Motherwell, a Wotherspoons and a Sports Direct. If you like things a little more cosmopolitan we have various Eastern European Big Issue sellers and a Chinese Buffet. Our Kushi's has recently reopened after being closed by environmental health too.

TBF, thats the new licensing laws that are Scotland wide. Its not just Edinburgh that has that problem. The issue will be if the bar you visit has applied or not to allow children in the premises.

I always thought it was a mixture of local bylaws and the Scottish Government.

Still ludicrous though, but if the Scottish Government to blame, then I am wiling to move the blame to them.

It does not surprise me if it is them, given they appointed Kenny MacCaskill to tell football fans how much they should drink, and how they should behave, despite himself being arrested at Wembley, for being drunk and disorderly and singing anti-English songs.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

**** Edinburgh and Glasgow, Dunfermline's the place to be. We've got Nandos, a shopping centre which is full of card and pound shops, a music 'venue' that's gone bust more times than Motherwell, a Wotherspoons and a Sports Direct. If you like things a little more cosmopolitan we have various Eastern European Big Issue sellers and a Chinese Buffet. Our Kushi's has recently reopened after being closed by environmental health too.

:lol:

I was at a nice restaurant in Dunfermline on Saturday past. Cannae mind the name...

I always thought it was a mixture of local bylaws and the Scottish Government.

Still ludicrous though, but if the Scottish Government to blame, then I am wiling to move the blame to them.

Not this time AFAIK. The new licensing laws changed a lot and not a lot (if that makes sense). Children's licenses was one of them.

The only local bylaw that seems to 'apply' is in certain sporting venues, you are allowed to have a drink at your seat (Im looking at you Braehead and Dundee Arena's). Indeed Braehead lets you buy beer, at your seat, during the games!

This is a belter of a thread.

I love Edinburgh, and despite myself, now love Glasgow. The worst moment of the Commonwealth Games for me was when painfully poor actor Ford Kiernan used his interview on the BBC to take several woefully unfunny digs at Edinburgh and its people.

The fact is both cities have some great things going for them. You can embrace both, which are 45 minutes on the train apart, and fill your boots on some great culture, architecture and opportunities to go out and do pretty much whatever takes your fancy, or you can seal yourself in your wee box and point at somewhere just up the road and laugh.

Love thy neighbour people.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Not this time AFAIK. The new licensing laws changed a lot and not a lot (if that makes sense). Children's licenses was one of them.

The only local bylaw that seems to 'apply' is in certain sporting venues, you are allowed to have a drink at your seat (Im looking at you Braehead and Dundee Arena's). Indeed Braehead lets you buy beer during the games!

Astonishing that one cannot enjoy a beer on the grounds of Tynecastle while the game is on, but it's perfectly fine to enjoy one in Braehead, which is a far more angry and radge place. :lol:

rossthejambo

I like Edinburgh. :)

I like Glasgow. :)

This is where i am.

Chances of aggro are about as likely in Edinburgh as it is in Glasgow, despite what people might think.

People's opinions of Glasgow are tainted by their hatred of Rangers and Celtic in quite a lot of cases.

Astonishing that one cannot enjoy a beer on the grounds of Tynecastle while the game is on, but it's perfectly fine to enjoy one in Braehead, which is a far more angry and radge place. :lol:

TBF, hockey fans are, for the most part, far more calm in their approach to the game. Unless its Fife. The only time I've been threatened at any sporting venue was Kirkcaldy. A 13 year old Chester jumps up at his hero, Chris Palmer, scoring a goal, and some wifie in her early 20s, jumps up, shows me her knife and threatens to slash me if I didnt sit down. In the same game, a Fifer also threw a puck in an Edinburgh player's face. :vrface:

STOP!!!! I have the solution lets get Edinburgh to bid for the next available CW games using Glasgow as an example of what Scotland can do! We can find space its not impossible after all Edinburgh council are always banging on about how they want the city to expand! And we can upgrade venues like meadow bank stadium! And we could build a huge new Man City style stadium at sight hill and then slyly just say that Hearts can use it after the games! And their you have it Edinburgh improves its sporting and possible concert venues, Scotland gets to host another CW games, we get a whopping 50K stadium for nothing and in doing so we piss the vermin right off!

Hearts%20Man%20spotrun.gifHearts%20Man%20dance.gif

:glorious: Your all welcome!

Having worked in Glasgow for 10 years but still live in Edinburgh I get the best of both worlds. Some great nights out with workmates who are genuinely some of the nicest people you could meet. Also get to come home back east though.

Glasgow is a city of extremes. Some great people but sadly some real lowlifes.

A girl at work was telling me that there was a huge riot outside her flat 2 nights ago. Neds fighting with nail guns, which seems to be the current weapon of choice.

A couple of miles up the road was the worlds focus on Glasgow as a vibrant, modern, sporting city.

I hear stories like that all the time from colleagues from the less affluent areas.

Yes violence can happen and does happen in Edinburgh too, but not anywhere near the scale in Glasgow. Much of the problems lie with the sectarian divide which is much much worse in the west.

I do agree with those who say enjoy the differences and be thankful we have the oportunity.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

This is where i am.

Chances of aggro are about as likely in Edinburgh as it is in Glasgow, despite what people might think.

People's opinions of Glasgow are tainted by their hatred of Rangers and Celtic in quite a lot of cases.

Some massively presumptuous sweeping assessments there, Ross. :unsure:

Mine are tainted by 'issues' I've had there, which I've never had in any other city I've visited in the world, and all my friends from the West, who now live through here, saying they couldnt wait to get out, for 'issues' similar to the ones I had experienced.

Dont get me wrong though, some parts of Glasgow I quite like. A bit like Edinburgh. Some of its nice, some of its a shitehole.

As an aside, when I've discussed the lack of an arena for Edinburgh, I'm told from people on both sides on the fence, 'Well there isnt need for one if the other has one, due to the distance between the two'. That 'difficulty' didnt stop Liverpool and Manchester....

Edinburgh Council are clueless.

The ludicrous licensing laws with regards to children, that restricts many of the local bars and restaurants, and completely confuses visitors. Some establishments do not allow children, some do, but only until a certain time. some allow them to a different time, whilst others do allow children, but only in certain parts of the bar, and in some cases, depending on where they are sitting, until varying times. I doubt very much if there is another city in the world that is so unwelcoming for families. Given Edinburgh is suppose to be one of the world's finest cities, and such a popular tourist destination, it is absolutely ludicrous. It spoils it for tourists and the local businesses.

We also have the big TV screen in Festival Square. Festival Square has a popular bar there, and also has space for pop up bars and restaurants, but since the Olympics have finished, the TV has remained off, as Edinburgh Council are too short sighted to invest in it. The World Cup has just finished, as has Wimbledon. We of course also have had the French Open in Tennis, the British Open in Golf, and we also currently have the Commonwealth Games. We, of course, earlier in the year, had Six Nations Rugby too. All of this, along with the bonus good weather, would have attracted people to the area. Another fail by Edinburgh Council.

Then there is the flagship 'trams' which will stop running before many festival shows end or pubs and restaurants close.

Now if the same Council have any say on concert venues, then there is no hope of it ever improving, no matter how much we want it.

They are so anti-business, anti-enjoyment and anti-common sense, it is laughable.

Totally agree with you on this.

It's scared to do anything fresh and different. We have by laws different from Glasgow and in the summer we should make use of the out door drinking laws. Use the bandstand, the square and the big public spaces. We do get decent weather. And bad weather at the Hogmanay and Christmas street events isn't a dampener.

The council have to sell Edinburgh more and simplify licensing to help make it easier to do these things. Pop up venues in places shouldn't be an issue either. Plenty great places for things to be organised and run from. But I think a purpose built venue for music, theatre and some sports.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's scared to do anything fresh and different. We have by laws different from Glasgow and in the summer we should make use of the out door drinking laws. Use the bandstand, the square and the big public spaces. We do get decent weather. And bad weather at the Hogmanay and Christmas street events isn't a dampener.

The council have to sell Edinburgh more and simplify licensing to help make it easier to do these things. Pop up venues in places shouldn't be an issue either. Plenty great places for things to be organised and run from. But I think a purpose built venue for music, theatre and some sports.

Edinburgh City Council is only interested in the views of the smallest and richest portion of the population.

William H. Bonney

the council sell edinburgh to the tourists, not its residents. New and innovative ideas are not in the remit of edinburgh council.

edinburgh is one of europe's greatest cities glasgow is a toilet, why pretend everyone knows this to be true............... :laugh4:

Chris Benoit

:lol:

I was at a nice restaurant in Dunfermline on Saturday past. Cannae mind the name...

Wasn't Nandos then? :lol:

Chris Benoit

Nut. :lol:

Wish I could remember the name.

Whereabout was it? Any pubs nearby I'll be able to work it out from that :lol:

Chris Benoit

Was it the first page or second page this stopped being about football?

Think it was inside the first half dozen posts

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Was it the first page or second page this stopped being about football?

The OP. The football connection was pretty much an afterthought right from the title.

Edinburgh City Council absolutely needs to invest in it more, I agree completely. However, we do have an arts scene. The Jazz Festival, Edinburgh Film Festival, Book Festival, our play houses and opera houses, exhibitions and concerts are there for all to see. Our biggest problem is a lack of investment in New and decent venues to cater for that scene.

As I already said, festivals do not necessarily foster a scene - they ship touring people in, so yes, for the punter it's a "scene" because there's gigs on, but an arts scene needs to be supporting & providing gigs for the people creating art in the city. Whether it's music, visual art or theatre, Edinburgh needs to do more to provide these opportunities - smaller scale festivals/events like Behaviour at the Arches that happen outside of big touristy festivals. It's not just about investment though, it's also turning a blind eye, not minding if weird slightly unsafe venues are used - the Glue Factory, SWG3, the Chateau - these venues developed organically because they've been disused buildings that have been taken over by artists. AFAIK Edinburgh has very little comparable spaces and part of that could be the council needs to be a bit more chilled out about these sort of things - for example look at the stooshie over the Soundhouse in Edinburgh. In fact, this article provides a pretty damning account of the how these venues have disappeared: http://www.soundhouse.org.uk/2012/12/why-our-house-became-the-only-viable-gig-in-edinburgh/

Basically, chill oot, Edinburgh. It's all very well having Fringe gigs in broom cupboards for one week of August but then you're letting venues disappear the rest of the year round. It's not healthy.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Whereabout was it? Any pubs nearby I'll be able to work it out from that :lol:

Think it was next to a previously very popular restaurant with a nautical sounding name and a petrol station. It was only about four minutes drive from Inverkeithing.

Chris Benoit

Think it was next to a previously very popular restaurant with a nautical sounding name and a petrol station. It was only about four minutes drive from Inverkeithing.

You sure it was Dunfermline? Really can't think where you mean

Does this mean in dour old stick-in-the-mud Edinburgh you can enjoy a drink in public but in vibrant, cosmpolitan Glasgow they have had to ban it?

Why's that?

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Edinburgh and Glasgow are nothing very special if you've spent much time abroad.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

You sure it was Dunfermline? Really can't think where you mean

The guy I was with was calling it Dunfermline, but maybe he was doing what I sometimes do with Edinburgh, and just lumping everything under the same umbrella. He left his motor there and he was planning on walking to collect it the next day. Maybe it was still Invsrkeithing or somewhere in between? Sorry, I'm not that great with Fife. :lol:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Edinburgh and Glasgow are nothing very special if you've spent much time abroad.

Spent a bit of time abroad, and still feel Edinburgh holds its own.

I have acknowledged some things that annoy the shit out of me about Edinburgh earlier on in this thread, but overall it has some amazing and unique assets, that are envied around the world and domestically.

Does anyone know if the Hydro was offered to Edinburgh first?..

You on the wind up or have you not read the thread? :lol:

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Spent a bit of time abroad, and still feel Edinburgh holds its own.

I have acknowledged some things that annoy the shit out of me about Edinburgh earlier on in this thread, but overall it has some amazing and unique assets, that are envied around the world and domestically.

I love Edinburgh but only because it's home. Beautiful but as for things to do it's average.

Glasgow is okay for gigs but not much else.

Chris Benoit

The guy I was with was calling it Dunfermline, but maybe he was doing what I sometimes do with Edinburgh, and just lumping everything under the same umbrella. He left his motor there and he was planning on walking to collect it the next day. Maybe it was still Invsrkeithing or somewhere in between? Sorry, I'm not that great with Fife. :lol:

Won't have been Inverkeithing then :lol:

The only place I can think would be the Olive Tree. That's the only restaurant near a petrol station I can think of

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I love Edinburgh but only because it's home. Beautiful but as for things to do it's average.

Glashow is okay for gigs but not much else.

I think it's possible that many people actually take what is great about Edinburgh for granted, rather than only like it because it's home. I think it's a good mix of attractive and stimulating.

It has its flaws, but in my opinion it's strong points put it right up there beside the best in the world.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Won't have been Inverkeithing then :lol:

The only place I can think would be the Olive Tree. That's the only restaurant near a petrol station I can think of

That maybe rings a bell. Is it a big wooden modern place with nice food, and an open plan lay-out? Patio doors and such like.

Abroad disagrees.

Seymour M Hersh

I've been to see the Scottish National Chamber Orchestra at the Usher Hall twice recently.

Outstanding venue!

I've seen Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney & Wings, Elton John, Jethro Tull and a few others I've forgotten. Fantastic venue with truly amazing acoustics. Seems to me re bands gigging in Edinburgh nowadays we just don't have a big enough indoor arena for them to rake enough cash in.

Archived