Edinburgh's embarrassing lack of modern sports, concert event venues

Boozyuzi

Nookie Bear

Spot on. Listened to Radio Scotland on the radio coming in to work this morning gushing away on how Glasgow has now suddenly become THE top UK city destination.

Aye, along with Belfast apparently.

Stuff that!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gene Parmesan

Belfast is great as well.

Correct, a brilliant wee city.

roscoeinchboy

If you don't mind me asking Mothy, where in Glasgow did she live and when was this?

Fully understand such things would sour anyone against any place, and these things (regardless of city) are completely unacceptable. However, put it this way. My mum and dads house in Edinburgh was broken into, my best mate who stayed round the corner - same thing happened. His old man also had his car stolen. I've been out numerous times in Edinburgh and Glasgow since I was 17. Been in a few fights, all in Edinburgh. No hint of crime or violence through here in the west. Should I now hate Edinburgh? It's all subjective to the experiences you have.

Yes, there are issues with parts of Glasgow. Large issues, same as any other city. The North of Glasgow is currently at least making strides, with the demolition of the Red Road flats, and also Springburn flats coming down and being replaced by better, more modern accommodation. Glasgow has improved tenfold, even just in the time I've been here let alone the last decade.

I have lived in Dennistoun for over 2 years now. 'Not a good area'? Geez peace! Duke St used to have a reputation, but it doesn't anymore. Alexandra Parade is the same.

Each to their own, and I love both cities (it is possible to like both cities, by the way), but Glasgow is far better suited to myself and many, many others.

no hint of crime or violence in the west, **** off,

Malcolm Tucker
no hint of crime or violence in the west, **** off,

:cornette:

I've said in my experience, Roscoe. I even acknowledged the violence and crime rates. The stats are damning, but it's not reflective on the entire city. Parts of the city are complete hovel's, just like any other city, and that brings crime with it.

It's all subjective.

Now don't tell me to **** off again or I'll get my gang friends to travel across the M8 and commit crime on you.

allystrachan

Edinburgh has world class facilities for swimming & diving at the commy pool & world class climbing facilities out at EICA in ratho.

The only reason we don't have good athletics is because of public protest. It was only a few years ago that the council wanted to tear down meadow bank & build new facilities at sighthill. Don't forget meadow bank still has a 400m track with seating for a couple thousand, an indoor 100m & hall space large enough to hold boxing/ gymnastic events. They hardly get used so there's no need to upgrade them.

Really all we lack on Glasgow is a velodrome & a large multi purpose arena but you could argue Inglisten could be upgraded to something similar.

I think we should put all this rivalry aside, and gang up on Dundee

Far too easy, that's the equivalent of kicking a kitten....albeit a manky, dreary, honking one!! :buttkick:

Malcolm Tucker

That's like kicking a kitten!! :-)

Probably a pregnant, young teenage cat called Charmaine is more accurate.

amirite

Dallas Green

I play lots of gigs in Glasgow because the music scene there is so much better than Edinburgh, they allow young people the chance to showcase themselves. It's much harder to do that in Edinburgh. Also, working in both cities as an engineer the office staff in Glasgow are up for more of a laugh than in Edinburgh IMO and are not as uptight.

I still prefer spending time in the Capital though and back on track to the OP, Glasgow has much better facilities than Edinburgh. Edinburgh has very few modern venues.

Probably a pregnant, young teenage cat called Charmaine is more accurate.

amirite

:spoton:

Of course, a city is largely defined by its people.

Make of that what you will...

Post Industrial Cities perhaps, but not Edinburgh.

In terms of developments, The St James Quarter is massively important for the City. I hope the trams are developed in to a proper network and that the airport continues to grow. You can tell from News reports just how hurt the Weegia are that our two airports are begininng to reflect the status of both Cities. They're utterly spewing in fact.

Now that I no longer go to gigs much, or club at all, I personally have no need for Glasgow. There's no need to go there to eat and I buy my clothes online from shops in Manchester and London mostly, so............

The Clyde Cityscape looks good on the TV and Glasgow seems to have made a good job of hosting the Games.

manaliveits105

Slogans such as Glasgows miles better and Glasgow Scotland with style (so the rest of your countrymen and women have no style - really! )

sum up a city with a huge chip - still a dark damp shithole full of trumpets

heartsfc_fan

Post Industrial Cities perhaps, but not Edinburgh.

In terms of developments, The St James Quarter is massively important for the City. I hope the trams are developed in to a proper network and that the airport continues to grow. You can tell from News reports just how hurt the Weegia are that our two airports are begininng to reflect the status of both Cities. They're utterly spewing in fact.

Now that I no longer go to gigs much, or club at all, I personally have no need for Glasgow. There's no need to go there to eat and I buy my clothes online from shops in Manchester and London mostly, so............

The Clyde Cityscape looks good on the TV and Glasgow seems to have made a good job of hosting the Games.

Pretty much my view too.

Glasgow does have it's perks (music and clubbing scene) but I've grown out of going to nightclubs and don't tend to go to gigs much.

OmiyaHearts

Slogans such as Glasgows miles better and Glasgow Scotland with style (so the rest of your countrymen and women have no style - really! )

I play the trumpet (not very well). I wasn't aware we all had one through here :-( There's me thinking I was doing something a bit different when I took it up in High School.

Out of interest, does Edinburgh have a slogan? I've only heard of the rejected 'Incredinburgh!'.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I play the trumpet (not very well). I wasn't aware we all had one through here :-( There's me thinking I was doing something a bit different when I took it up in High School.

Out of interest, does Edinburgh have a slogan? I've only heard of the rejected 'Incredinburgh!'.

Slogan:

Edinburgh - Better than Glasgow

;)

OmiyaHearts

Slogan:

Edinburgh - Better than Glasgow

;)

Hardly an accolade going by what some make up on here!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Hardly an accolade going by what some make up on here!

True.

What about:

Edinburgh - Barry

The (tourism) league table doesn't lie .

The weegies trumpet about themselves and the city - I give you Mr Matheson - empty vessels etc

The only country in the world where the TV stations base themselves outwith the capital city and seat of parliament

Most of the BBC Scotland drama budget wasted on River City

Glasgow fashion capital - ie if you are going out dress from head to toe In black

People make Glasgow - aye slavery made Glasgow .

Mcintosh stuff is shoite

The ugly sisters . FTGFA

The bit about TV networks is twaddle. Most of the major TV networks in the US are based in NYC, similarly I can't see most of the media in Turkey being based in Ankara over Istanbul.

Jambo, Goodbye

Never had a problem in Glasgow.

Fife on the other hand...

Not sure Edinburgh really needs one. How about a simple "Edinburgh: Scotland's capital city."

European City of Culture in 1990 - that one made me laugh!

People have mentioned Tynecastle, ER and Murrayfield as great sporting venues which they are, but only to a small section of sports. As we live in a country that has pish weather we need indoor facilities that can hold large events but are also available for community clubs to use. Looking around Edinburgh the past couple of weeks for a games hall to train in at a reasonable price thats available is pretty difficult with schools usually all booked up or unwilling to open in evenings. We have a **** tonne of golf courses in Edinburgh but the time will come soon that a number of these are unable to continue to operate due to a declining interest in the game. I just hope that they are simply turned into Tescos and Cala home estates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also in terms of a music venue, with all the development around studio 24 surely that area could've been transformed into something more than it is currently. I noticed that there was an arts project a couple of months ago at the arches underneath the jury's inn opposite the council offices. Edinburgh has a lot of these quirky venues that should be utilised on a more regular basis, to develop a more grass roots scene from which larger venues will naturally spawn. I'm of a generation whereby I've had to go through to Glasgow for most gigs due to limited options in Edin. The music scene in Glasgow is a lot more vibrant and therefore deserves to have more of the gigs but Edinburgh must try and compete and the locals must support it. The rumours of the bongo closing a while ago were pretty hard to bear as one of the better smaller alternative music venues.

john brownlee

how about we've done it got the T shirt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inspiring capital is the slogan for Edinburgh

Archived