Armed Forces Day at Ibrox

Alba gu Brath

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rangers [sevco] have tried for years to try and eclipse the true and ultimate sacrifice of McCreas battalion and they NEVER will,we know it they know and the more they try the more emberrassing it becomes, they will NEVER be as proud of their lot as we are of our boys.

finding it hard to see the sickning part myself here

these guys have earned the right to have their day, wheather

it is at the huns or us and they should have everyone's full respect

I can only assume the op is meaning the songs by the huns

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Rangers [sevco] have tried for years to try and eclipse the true and ultimate sacrifice of McCreas battalion and they NEVER will,we know it they know and the more they try the more emberrassing it becomes, they will NEVER be as proud of their lot as we are of our boys.

Good lord.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Using McCrae's Battalion as a stick to beat other clubs with is utterly embarrassing.

Using McCrae's Battalion as a stick to beat other clubs with is utterly embarrassing.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Squaddies joining in on one particular song about "guarding old Derrys Wall" with the section of the "blue brigade" ... well, shiver me timbers.......

Using McCraes Battalion as something to get one over with is crass as ****.

Very little sense being talked on this thread.

The whole thing might not sicken me but it certainly makes me deeply uncomfortable. Did you see the photo of the squaddies holding a 'keep ulster protestant' scarf?

I've never liked the crass exploitation of the armed forces by football clubs. Remembrance & recognition are very important but I can't help but feel rangers have been using the forces as a marketing tool.

Soldiers in supporting a football team and having arseholes amongst them shock! :vrface:

You'd have to have quite a sheltered life to find this sickening.

Franklin Delano Bluth

This thread :facepalm: all the contributions :vrface:

This. Jesus wept.

FWIW, I don't think the men who served in McCrae's did it so that Hearts fans could use it as some shan attempt at one-upmanship. Further, to use McCrae's as a solely Heart of Midlothian Battalion is ignorant in the extreme. Many men served in the Battalion and i'm willing to bet some of those who served and died were Rangers fans. Long story short, punkrockcroc's post is a heap of ignorant, disrespectful, shite.

On topic: it's not the worst thing Rangers FC has ever done. As others have said, you'd have to live a pretty protected life to be 'sickened' by the video.

I fail to see what is wrong with this video to be honest.

Rangers supporters in the services celebrating and partying with fellow Rangers supporters.

Would this thread have appeared if for example, it was Hearts fans in the services who were jumping around and posing with Section G or Section N giving it the 5-1??

OP is having a shocker, yet again.

Guest C00l K1d

The bit where the soldiers are jumping and what seems like singing along to derrys walls was a bit embarassing tbf.

A lot of respect for these guys for going out and fighting for the country but at the end of the day they're still a bunch of rangers *****.

Continued to watch the rest, and the bobby sands song :facepalm: You'd think they'd be under strict instruction no to get involved in any of that while in uniform, just to put a lid on any controversy.

I'm far from sickened, but iguess that's because I'm far from surprised. doesn't mean it isn't unpalatable. Oh, and oneupsmanship over dead soldiers is pathetic. 'oor laddies' chat is petty and vicarious,but to extend that by attaching some moral high ground and sanctimony to it is just awful.

Remember when these things used to be done in a quiet, dignified fashion and weren't exploited as a means of asserting one's Britishness or used as a stick with which to beat those not perceived to be grieving or respecting hard enough?

It isn't sickening, but the hijacking of this and Remembrance Day by football clubs is crass and cheapens the event. You also have to wonder how many of those who go on about 'our brave, heroic lads' have ever met any soldiers.

Remember when these things used to be done in a quiet, dignified fashion and weren't exploited as a means of asserting one's Britishness or used as a stick with which to beat those not perceived to be grieving or respecting hard enough?

It isn't sickening, but the hijacking of this and Remembrance Day by football clubs is crass and cheapens the event. You also have to wonder how many of those who go on about 'our brave, heroic lads' have ever met any soldiers.

This. I find the whole business putting soldiers on some sort of pedestal very baffling.

Out of the ones I met from my brother's time with the army, a lot of them were ignorant arseholes. Just like any other group of people really.

This. I find the whole business putting soldiers on some sort of pedestal very baffling.

Out of the ones I met from my brother's time with the army, a lot of them were ignorant arseholes. Just like any other group of people really.

Rangers supporters in the services celebrating and partying with fellow Rangers supporters.

Would this thread have appeared if for example, it was Hearts fans in the services who were jumping around and posing with Section G or Section N giving it the 5-1??

Do you think the hypothetical crowd at Tynecastle would be singing Derry's Walls, etc, etc , etc ?

Your question doesn't hold water and doesn't justify what went on at the Nurenburg Rally yesterday.

I've heard it said that the armed forces personnel attended in a private capacity - Sevco didn't send out formal invites to MOD. I'd love to know if that is true. Either way , if some bigoted arned forces personnel want to go to Ibrox and be lauded that's fine. They shouldn't be doing it in uniform.

Using McCraes Battalion as something to get one over with is crass as ****.

How dare you say that i'm trying to get some sort of one upmanship by using those brave boys. Don't judge me by your standards which are obviously very low. The point is, ever since their players didn't sign up that club as a whole has felt the need to TRY and prove they're British at every oppurtunity. Who's crass now?

How dare you say that i'm trying to get some sort of one upmanship by using those brave boys. Don't judge me by your standards which are obviously very low. The point is, ever since their players didn't sign up that club as a whole has felt the need to TRY and prove they're British at every oppurtunity. Who's crass now?

:rofl:

Sorry.

The armed forces lads seem to be lapping it up - looked a bit tricky for the players to do their warm up tbh.

Guest C00l K1d

:laugh: :laugh:

i agree. Why are soldiers looked upon as some sort of heroes?

Seriously? What do you do for a living? Does your job call upon you to put your life on the line?

My mate's in the RAF and was there yesterday. He was saying the squaddies were totally hammered before they went out on the pitch. He had a great time but I'll be sure to inform how sickened he's made the op, I'm sure he'll be devastated :jj:

Seriously? What do you do for a living? Does your job call upon you to put your life on the line?

Exactly. Some real cowards on this thread who think it's cool to diss our armed forces. Sad.

Patrick Bateman

Why does a job automatically make anyone a hero? Fawning over soldiers is a bit creepy, if you ask me.

OP your posts are sickening when NO comes around hope that's the last we see of you here .

My auld man was in the services and he would've had more dignity than to dance with thousands of neds singing the Sash and other songs and that are supposed not to be heard at grounds these days.

The photo below was taken before the squaddies took to the pitch apparently. If true, what does this say about some in our armed forces? Are Catholics, in Ulster or elsewhere, not entitled to equal rights? As an atheist I detest religion and the churches but I defend the right of individuals to believe in anything they want. This kind of stuff should not happen in 2013. Braindoners - the squaddies (those who danced with Ibrox 'people'_ and the fans.

1174643_618233448229500_10476409_n.jpg

I didn't see the outrage when we played them at Ibrox and the soldiers were on the pitch. One of them actually sprinted down to the hearts end and took one of our scarves while receiving huge applause.

Or is that different ?

:wtfvlad:

Have you watched it? Or did you stop at the 'We Are the People' bit? Or do you actually agree with the Hun songs and behaviour of paid service personnel indulging in such nonsense?

Exactly. Some real cowards on this thread who think it's cool to diss our armed forces. Sad.

exactly, anyone who doesn't applaud a soldier who'll sing the sash and happily pose for pictures with a scarf that demands Ulster be kept pure of fenians is a traitor. Everyone in a uniform is beyond reproach. They fight so that we have the liberty to think and do as we please - and if you dont use that liberty to mindlessly praise oor brave laddies you can go home.

Guest C00l K1d

It is embarrassing this day in age that anyone is singing that stuff but lets no pretend the majority of soldiers are all like 'Ned Flanders' from the Simspons.

Most of these squaddies are exactly the type of person i would expect to see at ibrox singing this shite, i just thought they (or their superiors) would have the basic common sense to keep a lid on it while they're in uniform infront of folk who're going to take videos.

I didn't see the outrage when we played them at Ibrox and the soldiers were on the pitch. One of them actually sprinted down to the hearts end and took one of our scarves while receiving huge applause.

Or is that different ?

did the scarf demand religious purity for west lothian? thought not. cheers.

Arnold Rothstein

No, but the job of a soldier now is a choice and IMO should not be compared to WWI and II where it was not a choice.

exactly, anyone who doesn't applaud a soldier who'll sing the sash and happily pose for pictures with a scarf that demands Ulster be kept pure of fenians is a traitor. Everyone in a uniform is beyond reproach. They fight so that we have the liberty to think and do as we please - and if you dont use that liberty to mindlessly praise oor brave laddies you can go home.

What do you do for a living? Driver of the easily offended bus?

Patrick Bateman

No, he's the Grand Inquisitor of the Politically Correct Stasi.

Looks to me like you're the one getting offended by folk having the audacity to criticise soldiers.

Archived