The Taylor Report

Swanny17

Was just watching the Hearts v Atletico Madrid game the other forum there.

It reminded me how good Tynie was on those European nights before all-seater stadiums were required in the UK.

I'm not for one second saying it shouldn't have been introduced, but if the Taylor report didn't exist, where do you think Hearts would be just now?

Would Tynie still look like it did back in the 80's when I got my first ST, or would it have been redeveloped in any way?

Would we have been more successful as a club?

Would our average attendances be more or less than what they are now?

I miss the days of standing at Tynie, as as much as I love the old dear now, I still don't think she compares to those pre-"Wheatfield/Roseburn/Gorgie Stand" days in terms of atmosphere.

Ahh, the nostalgia.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fans were treated like cattle pre all seater stadia - grounds had seen little or no investment in decades prior to the Taylor Report. Football grounds were no places for families in the 70's / 80's and all seater stadia has changed all that.

However, I do think that some middle ground could be reached with some terracing reintroduced at grounds. I for one hate sitting at football matches especially somewhere like McDairmid Park on a winters days.

Was just watching the Hearts v Atletico Madrid game the other forum there.

It reminded me how good Tynie was on those European nights before all-seater stadiums were required in the UK.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Those european nights were great :thumbsup: Who remembers the Shed when we wnt 1 up :D But alas we had to move with the times. The Hillsborough disaster, despite the publics opinion on who was responsible, was the day that football changed (for the better). And end of the day I think we'd be all seater if it hadn't happened only later rather than sooner.

Ah, all-seater stadia eh? the death of atmosphere. At least you roughly knew where your mates would be standing and you could join them in a sing-song or two. You just bought your season ticket and that was that, now you have to buy seats together and not everyone is able to afford one. A few years ago, all of us that had season tickets in the terracing days still got them for the new stands, slowly everyone got less and less each season because not eveyone could afford to re-new at the same time resulting in mates sitting all over the place, usually beside some they'd rather not!

Here's an idea, why don't they get rid of seat numbers and just buy season tickets for a section instead? (example: Wheatfield section B, any seat in that section)That way, folk could buy whenever they can afford them and they'd still be sitting beside their mates? It would be similar to the days when folk sat on the benches under the TV gantry, sitting as close as you can to your preferred seat, first come first served.

The Spurs game at home proved you do not need to stand to have a good atmosphere. The problem is imo that football is not as attractive a sport to watch now, not as competitive. It is hard to get excited about the prospect of finishing third some 20 points behind the Old Firm. Must be just as bad for Spanish football fans outside the big two.

I miss the days of standing at Tynie

I can't remember the last time I sat at Tynecastle.

No-one around me sits. Its great. :thumbsup:

scots civil war

i for one hate sitting at football matches especially somewhere like McDairmid Park on a winters days.

nutshell mate.........bring fakn terracing back

yabadabadoo1874again

This is a great idea....can imagine this would be very popular inc. better atmosphere !!! : )

Ah, all-seater stadia eh? the death of atmosphere. At least you roughly knew where your mates would be standing and you could join them in a sing-song or two. You just bought your season ticket and that was that, now you have to buy seats together and not everyone is able to afford one. A few years ago, all of us that had season tickets in the terracing days still got them for the new stands, slowly everyone got less and less each season because not eveyone could afford to re-new at the same time resulting in mates sitting all over the place, usually beside some they'd rather not!

Here's an idea, why don't they get rid of seat numbers and just buy season tickets for a section instead? (example: Wheatfield section B, any seat in that section)That way, folk could buy whenever they can afford them and they'd still be sitting beside their mates? It would be similar to the days when folk sat on the benches under the TV gantry, sitting as close as you can to your preferred seat, first come first served.

Anyone remember the state of the toilets at Tynecastle before 1994? Bad enough for a pish and not the place to be if you had a dodgy curry the night before.

I hate the seating at games, and the family friendly pish always annoys me. I started going to games when I was five, and I had no problem. I would just run about at the bottom of the shed kicking a can with a few other boys and it was no bother. There were always loads of kids when I went to the game.

The Spurs game at home proved you do not need to stand to have a good atmosphere. The problem is imo that football is not as attractive a sport to watch now, not as competitive. It is hard to get excited about the prospect of finishing third some 20 points behind the Old Firm. Must be just as bad for Spanish football fans outside the big two.

Wasnt that good tbh, Standing defo improves the atmosphere.

Taylor only speeded up all seater stadia, remember Pittodrie was already all seated, Ibrox too apart from the front of the old stand, all the other clubs had to catch up, remember we had a plan or two for new ground(s)before Hillsburgh or Heysel, as for standing what would be great would be the bottom half of the Gorgie and Roseburn stands to be like our old main stands enclosure before the seats, or if enough wanted to stand have it at the front of the Wheatfield too, that way all the old folk, women, kids and boring lads could sit in comfort while we tuned the terrace in to a mosh pit when we score, ah for the old days.

Taylor only speeded up all seater stadia, remember Pittodrie was already all seated, Ibrox too apart from the front of the old stand, all the other clubs had to catch up, remember we had a plan or two for new ground(s)before Hillsburgh or Heysel, as for standing what would be great would be the bottom half of the Gorgie and Roseburn stands to be like our old main stands enclosure before the seats, or if enough wanted to stand have it at the front of the Wheatfield too, that way all the old folk, women, kids and boring lads could sit in comfort while we tuned the terrace in to a mosh pit when we score, ah for the old days.

Its almost like some kind of society when we accept folk around us. Its like going for a meal but you have to share a table with others. Its like folk at tennis and a rugby match get on as they sit together and if they don't get on then they are polite enough not to bother. I support the guy in the Hearts Jersey.....it's a no brainer for me. :rolleyes:

Only issue with that is that they would have to lower the capacity. The legislation which rules how stadiums are run, dictates that Festival seating (what you described above) actually has less tickets available than seats in that stand.

Best example of that is at Glasgow Warriors rugby games - the stand at Firhill holds close to 10000, but they limit the capacity to just over 8000 I think. Basically because you get groups of 2 and 3, and 1 seat left in the middle that nobody would want....

Would be a good idea especially for the games that are nowhere near sell out!

Francis Albert

Wasnt that good tbh, Standing defo improves the atmosphere.

We got beat 5-0.

Tynecastle was far louder in the first 5 minutes of each half than it was ever in the standing days and I include cup wins against the OF, and the Bayern Munaich game, and a league title decider.

There would certainly be no more atmosphere for a game like last Saturday's with standing.

Even if standing was reintroduced safety considerations would rightly dictate that in effect people were each allocated the same space as now but would be standing instead of sitting, as in bits of sections G and N today. There will rightly never be a return to the (occasional) packed free for all of the old days.

We got beat 5-0.

Tynecastle was far louder in the first 5 minutes of each half than it was ever in the standing days and I include cup wins against the OF, and the Bayern Munaich game, and a league title decider.

There would certainly be no more atmosphere for a game like last Saturday's with standing.

Even if standing was reintroduced safety considerations would rightly dictate that in effect people were each allocated the same space as now but would be standing instead of sitting, as in bits of sections G and N today. There will rightly never be a return to the (occasional) packed free for all of the old days.

I switched this year from the back of g to section n,(im gonna be working alot but still wanted a ST so cheap option).

Couple of things have struck me about the "atmosphere" first being N is shoite for atmosphere hardly anyone sings and

they moan constantly.Second section G isnt as loud as i thought!!

Stuttgart at home was a great atmosphere, spurs at home was poor bar ten minutes before K.O. Spurs away is what Tynie should've been like.

Im not old enough to remember much "old skool" terrace's (brockville,somerset and east end apart) but the best atmosphere in G is when everyone is standing or away at hibs.

Great idea in theory but sadly unworkable.

You only have to go to an all ticket away game to find that, although there are loads of empty seats (with similar views of the pitch) you'll always get some roaster who will make a fuss because "you're in my seat".

It's also unlikely that if a group of you want to sit together that you'd be able to get that many seats all together unless you got to the ground 30 minutes before kick off, and no normal person wants to do that, only strange wee men (or women) from Guildford

mahgrassyshoes

I switched this year from the back of g to section n,(im gonna be working alot but still wanted a ST so cheap option).

Couple of things have struck me about the "atmosphere" first being N is shoite for atmosphere hardly anyone sings and

they moan constantly.Second section G isnt as loud as i thought!!

Stuttgart at home was a great atmosphere, spurs at home was poor bar ten minutes before K.O. Spurs away is what Tynie should've been like.

Im not old enough to remember much "old skool" terrace's (brockville,somerset and east end apart) but the best atmosphere in G is when everyone is standing or away at hibs.

It's true, but the standing is a symptom of the opposition. Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Glamour team are all exciting prospects and people stand. St Mirren isn't really that exciting. As Francis said, there would have been no difference to the atmosphere at the weekend if the ground was terracing.

Jam Tarts 1874

The building of all seated stadia for clubs outside the old firm was extremely costly. I don't think that it is a coincedence that the gap between the old firm and the rest has grown massively since clubs were forced to spend millions to comply.

(You only have to go to an all ticket away game to find that, although there are loads of empty seats (with similar views of the pitch) you'll always get some roaster who will make a fuss because "you're in my seat".)

Reminded me about Schalke match at Murrayfield when I was asked to move from 3 different seats because "your in my Seat" the last one being 20 minutes into 1st half. 2nd half I was in my 7th seat having moved from end to end trying to find a decent view, the section I ended up in filled up after kick off with similar minded Jambos. Please never let Murrayfield be our home or if we build Tynie 2 to be so far from the pitch.

The terracing was good and bad.

If you got in nice and early and got your favourite crush barrier - good.

If you got in a bit late for a match, like St Mirren on Saturday, and got no crush barrier - long afternoon standing bored wishing u had something to lean on.

There's also a tendency to look back fondly to the past and remember the great atmosphere's v Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, Munich, Mostar, Athletico etc etc. Standing on the terrace at places like Love St, Broomfield, Falkirk, Dens etc during rubbish matches was never great.

Standing on the uncovered terraces in the rain was also pretty rotten IMO.

Those european nights were great :thumbsup: Who remembers the Shed when we wnt 1 up :D But alas we had to move with the times. The Hillsborough disaster, despite the publics opinion on who was responsible, was the day that football changed (for the better). And end of the day I think we'd be all seater if it hadn't happened only later rather than sooner.

looking at my post in the cold light of day it was supposed ti have read, "who remebers the Shed when we went 1 up against Bayern" hopwe that clarifies my post :thumbsup:

The terracing was good and bad.

If you got in nice and early and got your favourite crush barrier - good.

If you got in a bit late for a match, like St Mirren on Saturday, and got no crush barrier - long afternoon standing bored wishing u had something to lean on.

There's also a tendency to look back fondly to the past and remember the great atmosphere's v Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, Munich, Mostar, Athletico etc etc. Standing on the terrace at places like Love St, Broomfield, Falkirk, Dens etc during rubbish matches was never great.

Standing on the uncovered terraces in the rain was also pretty rotten IMO.

Only stood behind the crush barrier once. In the Shed against the sheep. Hearts of course scored. The place went mental and the usual surge came from the back and crushed me against said crush barrier. Better off standing in middle - rear of the action and go with flow.

I see your point when playing diddy teams though & especially if its peeing downwith rain :thumbsup:

(You only have to go to an all ticket away game to find that, although there are loads of empty seats (with similar views of the pitch) you'll always get some roaster who will make a fuss because "you're in my seat".)

Reminded me about Schalke match at Murrayfield when I was asked to move from 3 different seats because "your in my Seat" the last one being 20 minutes into 1st half. 2nd half I was in my 7th seat having moved from end to end trying to find a decent view, the section I ended up in filled up after kick off with similar minded Jambos. Please never let Murrayfield be our home or if we build Tynie 2 to be so far from the pitch.

tickets have seat numbers for a reason even though you maybe in a half empty stadium. So perhaps if you sat on the seat designated by your ticket, you wouldn't have to move from someone elses seat whom they bought the ticket for dry.gif

Only stood behind the crush barrier once. In the Shed against the sheep. Hearts of course scored. The place went mental and the usual surge came from the back and crushed me against said crush barrier. Better off standing in middle - rear of the action and go with flow.

I see your point when playing diddy teams though & especially if its peeing downwith rain :thumbsup:

The trick was to get under that barrier and out the other side when the ball hit the net!!!

Although when the goal in ur picture went in I did almost knock myself out smacking my head off the underside of the barrier in the utter bedlam.

tickets have seat numbers for a reason even though you maybe in a half empty stadium. So perhaps if you sat on the seat designated by your ticket, you wouldn't have to move from someone elses seat whom they bought the ticket for dry.gif

and yet you didn't chastise The Treasure for calling out roasters who said "your in my seat" in his post?

I was mearly recalling a similar situation to what he had described. The point from my memory was the guy who had turned up 20 minutes late for a seat he may have spent days deliberating over before he bought it, only to turn up and find some nomark enjoying a long distance view of the game.

I promise never to sit in the wrong seat again.:thumbsup:

Archived